• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks to the NPD Group and Mat Piscatella for the breakdown. Note. This NPD report only covers the U.S. Video Games Market.

Here is the breakdown for April 2019:
  • Total: $842 million (Up 1% from $838 million in April 2018)
  • Hardware: $160 million (Down 29% from $225 million)
  • PC and console software: $427 million (Up 15% from $370 million)
  • Accessories: $256 million (Up 5% from $243 million)
April 2019 tracked spending across video game hardware, software, accessories and game cards totaled $842 million, gaining 1 percent when compared to a year ago. Growth in software and accessory & game card spending offset declines in hardware.

Year-to-date spending across tracked video game hardware, software, accessories & game cards is down 2 percent when compared to 2018, to $4.0 billion. Declines in hardware spending have offset growth in sales of accessories & game cards.

Software (All notes refer to dollar sales)

Dollar sales of tracked console, portable and PC video game software reached $427 million in April 2019, gaining 15 percent when compared to a year ago.
Year-to-date dollar sales of tracked console, portable and PC video game software totaled $1.9 billion, 4 percent higher when compared to a year ago.

Mortal Kombat 11 was the best-selling game of April and instantly becomes the 2nd best-selling game of 2019 year-to-date. Mortal Kombat 11 was the best-selling game of the month on all platforms on which it released: PC, PlayStation 4, Switch and Xbox One.

Mortal Kombat 11 represents the first time a third-party published Nintendo Switch game was the platform's top seller in a month since Ubisoft's Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle topped the Nintendo Switch chart in September 2017.

Days Gone was the 2nd best-selling game of April, with debut month sales that rank as the 7th highest in history for a Sony-published title. After just one month in market, Days Gone is the best-selling game produced by Sony Bend Studio in lifetime revenues.

MLB The Show 19 ranks as the third best-selling game of April and is now the 10th best-selling game of 2019. It is also the best-selling sports title of 2019 year-to-date. MLB The Show 19 remains the best-selling game in franchise history on a time-aligned basis.

Hardware & Accessories

Hardware spending in April 2019 fell 29 percent when compared to a year ago, to $160 million. Nintendo Switch sales growth was offset by declines across all other hardware platforms. Total spending on accessories & game cards grew 5 percent in April 2019 when compared to a year ago, to $256 million. Gains for both game card and gamepad spending drove overall performance.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of both April as well as year-to-date across both unit and dollar sales. The Nintendo Switch 32GB with neon red and blue joy cons is the best-selling individual hardware item of 2019.

Amiibo Super Smash Bros Series 1 Character Packs were the best-selling video game accessory of April, while the PS4 DualShock 4 Black Wireless Controller remains the best-selling accessory year-to-date.

Software Rankings

Top 20 best selling titles (April 2019) - Includes Physical and Digital sales
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. MLB 19: The Show
  4. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice^
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Yoshi's Crafted World*
  11. Red Dead Redemption II
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  14. Minecraft#
  15. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  16. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  18. Jump Force
  19. Battlefield V*
  20. Borderlands
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included
# Minecraft digital sales on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One included

Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)
  1. Kingdom Hearts III
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  4. Anthem^
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice^
  9. Jump Force
  10. MLB 19: The Show
Top 10 PS4 titles (April 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. MLB 19: The Show
  4. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  7. NBA 2K19
  8. Red Dead Redemption II
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man
Top 10 Xbox One titles (April 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  8. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  9. Forza Horizon 4
  10. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Top 10 Switch titles (April 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  3. Yoshi's Crafted World*
  4. Mario Kart 8*
  5. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  7. Super Mario Party*
  8. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  9. Super Mario Odyssey*
  10. Labo Toy-Con 04 VR Kit

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
good shit

days gone did better than i expected tbh. still dont think the game is the weakest out of the big sony exclusives this gen but i cant be mad about it

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Already back to GTAV > RDR2

not surprised, GTA has been the #1 game on twitch basically all month

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Wow what the heck at GTA V still there... over RDR2...

I'm one of those that believed every one that needed it already had it, and there it is in the Top 10 again...

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Anthem not even in the top 20 of the past month or top ten on either console...

Ouch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFX did well enough to get 16th place. must have done really well on switch

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Wow what the heck at GTA V still there... over RDR2...

I'm one of those that believed every one that needed it already had it, and there it is in the Top 10 again...
game has been blowing up again on twitch with the rp shit so i guess that brought in way more sales.

makes me think rockstar may build roleplay into the next gta online lmao

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Every thread until you like it

rcLqZ4X.jpg

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Man...COD is still charting and it underperformed maybe? What did ActiBlizz expect? Also BF5 still charting...

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised KHIII held its YTD lead. Square must be happy with the sales.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat 11 was the best-selling game of April and instantly becomes the 2nd best-selling game of 2019 year-to-date. Mortal Kombat 11 was the best-selling game of the month on all platforms on which it released: PC, PlayStation 4, Switch and Xbox One.

Mortal Kombat 11 represents the first time a third-party published Nintendo Switch game was the platform's top seller in a month since Ubisoft's Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle topped the Nintendo Switch chart in September 2017.

Unexpected

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts III is still number 1 in the YTD charts, amazing performance and thoroughly deserved!

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Mortal Kombat 11 did amazing. I remember someone said that Benji was really impressed witht the Switch performance, but crazy to see it top the list. When was the last time a 3rd party game got the top spot for a Nintendo platform on NPD?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 doing work when not even in the top 20 to maintain that #1 YTD.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
glad this year MLB did well, its the best version in a long time. honestly impressed a baseball game can have growth when MLB itself does not.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
MK11 topped the SWITCH chart?? That is good news, I hope that means more improvements for that version.

Surprised to see Jump Force hanging in there.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
good for Bend, I was worried for them but now they can get a new Syphon Filter going :D

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone, Nice. Something something zombie fatigue, generic zombie game, etc.

Holy shit at MK11 on Switch!!! lmao.