• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the video:

FXUAtID.jpg

opps, didn't see it was already in the OP.

I didn't expect that. But I wonder if PS4/Xbone have the same lifespan as the other consoles.

OP
OP
Mpl90

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the thread Mpl90.

Some very interesting stuff this month. Good to see strong growth both in December and for the full year.

You're welcome Zhuge :P

And thanks John for Xeno 2's numbers. 280k (I assume retail only, given the usual Nintendo caveats) is a good increase from the former best debut in the series, Xeno X.

Also, it might give a better reference for what Nintendo of America posted back on December 20th: The Best-selling (retail+digital) Nintendo Switch games of 2017

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2353761/

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms
  7. 1, 2 Switch
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  13. Super Bomberman
  14. Skyrim
  15. Ultra Street Fighter II
  16. Binding of Isaac Afterlife +
  17. Xenoblade 2
  18. Puyo Tetris
  19. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
  20. Overcooked Special Edition

Unfortunately, not a perfect match since it was posted on December 20th, while NPD tracking ended on December 30th, and it should be referring to Americas as a whole, but...eh, it's the best we've got for now :P

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
In the end I'm actually surprised that Xenoblade 2 sold as well as it did. I mean, when you consider some of the factors at play, the game got some incredibly harsh critical reviews and has now tallied below the score of its predecessor Xenoblade X. In addition the Gacha mechanic at the core of the game is questionable at best, it clearly has some major performance issues running on handheld, and a lot of the UI/UX Design is a major step down from its predecessors too. And of course, it's likely it was rushed out to release which also impacted the game's polish severely.

Nonetheless, it managed to sell as it did in spite of all that. It definitely says something for sure. But I'd also surmise that Nintendo probably does feel pretty justified rushing it out for a Holiday release given the sales.

As a matter of fact, I'd completely overlooked that the game managed to chart on the Top 10 best selling Switch games of 2017:

Nintendo Switch**
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  6. ARMS
  7. Pokken Tournament DX
  8. 1-2 Switch
  9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
And that was only with one total month of sales

OP
OP
Mpl90

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting since it was right at the end of last page

Thanks for making the thread Mpl90.

Some very interesting stuff this month. Good to see strong growth both in December and for the full year.

You're welcome Zhuge :P

And thanks John for Xeno 2's numbers. 280k (I assume retail only, given the usual Nintendo caveats) is a good increase from the former best debut in the series, Xeno X.

Also, it might give a better reference for what Nintendo of America posted back on December 20th: The Best-selling (retail+digital) Nintendo Switch games of 2017

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2353761/

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms
  7. 1, 2 Switch
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  13. Super Bomberman
  14. Skyrim
  15. Ultra Street Fighter II
  16. Binding of Isaac Afterlife +
  17. Xenoblade 2
  18. Puyo Tetris
  19. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
  20. Overcooked Special Edition

Unfortunately, not a perfect match since it was posted on December 20th, while NPD tracking ended on December 30th, and it should be referring to Americas as a whole, but...eh, it's the best we've got for now :P

Caligula13

Oct 29, 2017
what is the explanation for Call of Duty? the armchair experts always assume that releasing a franchise once a year will destroy the fanchise (skylanders, guitar hero, AC)

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right...the norm is a continuous decline and contraction of the dedicated console market. That's what I'm saying. The affects of Wii/Ds/ps2 to their respective gens were the anomaly.

The Wii/DS has nothing to do with the XboxOne selling less than the xbox360. The Wii/DS has nothing to do with the ps4/vita selling less than the ps3/psp

Just because the ps4 has absorbed much of the remaining dedicated console market and showing impressive PSN revenue for Sony for profit...doesn't mean the market is "healthy" (in the business sense that growth of the market = health)

The remaining console market is consolidating towards fewer consoles than previously. Nothing is growing the market the way consoles grew the market in the past.

But like I said, the Switch has the best shot to actually help facilitate more future console gamers via kids than anything since the Wii/DS

The market is normalizing and showing growth, that is not a decline.

I think your big mistake is equating hardware growth as the predominant factor for the health of the industry. Increase in hardware sales do not equate to increase in profit necessarily and a healthy industry is more than the hardware companies selling a lot of hardware.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
280K for Xenoblade 2 while charting at #16 and having a far more expensive LE, would mean that Splatoon 2's December numbers are likely around 300-325K. So overall Splatoon 2 is maintaining a 20-25% attach rate in the US, personally with digital I expect it to be around 1.25M for 2017.
Overall based on these results I expect that Switch software did pass 3M for December and is likely closer to 3.5M. In terms of software I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario Odyssey, MK8D, Zelda:BotW, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 made up >80% of software sales for December. So something to the tune of 2.8M, with SMO being the game that is taking a large chunk of those sales with possibly around >1M while MK8D and Zelda:BotW combined are probably around >1.2M(>700K vs >500K).
That would leave under <700K units of software for the likes of Mario & Rabbids, Pokken, Skyrim, Arms, Just Dance 18 etc. I'm kind of suprised M+R and Pokken ended up outselling Skyrim in December. I think all three titles are above >100K units.

If Switch software is indeed above 3.5M that would put 3DS Software above 1.435M. Pokemon USUM likely did more than 700K combined if that's the case.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any numbers for Xbox & PS4 Hardware?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Any numbers for Xbox & PS4 Hardware?
Switch is at 1.5 million, and a leak from earlier this month told us PS4 did 72% of Switch and XB1 did 91%. So,

PS4 = 1080k
XB1 = 1365k

I should add that this leak predicted 3DS at 50% of Switch, and that turned out to be true (Switch at 1.5M, 3DS at 750k). So, it's most likely legit.

Last edited:

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
I'm kind of suprised M+R and Pokken ended up outselling Skyrim in December. I think all three titles are above >100K units.

No explanation comes to mind for Pokken, but Mario + Rabbids benefited from promotions at Target and Best Buy. One had the game at $39.99 if you bought another Switch game, and the other gave you a Nintendo-published Switch game of your choice for $39.99 if you bought Rabbids.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No explanation comes to mind for Pokken, but Mario + Rabbids benefited from promotions at Target and Best Buy. One had the game at $39.99 if you bought another Switch game, and the other gave you a Nintendo-published Switch game of your choice for $39.99 if you bought Rabbids.
Pokken may well have received a push from the Pokémon games on the 3DS (in the same way you could see MK7 go up the charts before and around the launch of MK8D).

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's pretty awesome, Mario + Rabbids getting bigger discounts than 1-2 Switch. Not surprised 1-2 Switch didn't make the Switch top 10, game is too expensive compared to the rest of the Switch library, Nintendo had the right idea discounting it 33% during December on the eShop.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Remember when top 10 npd actually had some interesting games.

Yo, those are some of the best games ever released in the top 5

what is the explanation for Call of Duty? the armchair experts always assume that releasing a franchise once a year will destroy the fanchise (skylanders, guitar hero, AC)

The thing is, Era armchair analysts don't know jack shit. They live in a bubble of niche games and refuse to see outside of it.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a year for Nintendo. No one would have believed the results in this thread 12 months ago. If I also told you the mainstream would be getting excited for a Nintendo game utilizing cardboard, I'd be laughed out of the room.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Dug up old data and updated some spreadsheets.

2017 was a great year overall, with this being the best year since 2011 at Retail*.

*Includes reported digital game sales since NPD started tracking them.
INGUyKY.jpg

Not only was this a great year at retail, but also the best year ever reported (?) with total consumer spending reaching 36 billion. This includes retail, digital, online services, etc. The industry is very healthy, and should be very happy.
qsf0vgI.jpg

Something interesting to see, when updating my software and hardware revenue numbers, 2014 seemed very odd with it's ratio. It is a generational transition year so maybe that is the reason or maybe software just wasn't as compelling?
rJaiKLu.jpg

As for monthly revenue, December was larger than November, and the trends are staying consistent.
Pu9F6Rh.jpg

Should be interesting to see just how much the Switch and lower price ranges on consoles affect total revenue in 2018.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the charts LOCK
This is great about consumer revenue spend. It's a consistent reported metric over years and comparable.

(yeah i know there is inflation and the US population is getting bigger, but this is the overall market size)

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On average during December Switch sold 300K p/w and despite this unprecedented supply benji has said that demand had exceeded supply and supply constrains were indeed a factor once again towards the end of the month.
I honestly expect Switch to sell >300K in January NPD. The last time a console sold >300K in the US during January was in 2011, when both Wii(319K) and X360(381K) had a monster January.

If WSJ is to be believed than Nintendo is able to produce 2M per month until the end of the FY. Since Japan actually has more games releasing in the next few weeks(M+R this week, Skyrim beginning of Feb, Bayo1&2 mid Feb) I expect that in the next few months Japan to actually get more supply(25% -> 30%). Also Nintendo might save some units they are producing right now for Kirby/Labo launches. So overall I think we might be looking at finally a few months where supply is able to exceed demand in the US. If they ship 1.5M a month from now until March and 40% of shipments go to NA that would mean that there would be 600K worth of supply per month >500K of which would be allocated to the US. Like I outlined above usually hardware sales in the US don't exceed 300K during January so we can figure out how much demand there is based on next month's NPD numbers. If Switch exceeds 400K than demand is really and truly around Wii levels.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most people buying a Switch are probably going to start with botw, Odyssey, and kart. Hopefully games like Mario +Rabbids and Xenoblade are next on their lists.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Those Switch game sales are crazy.. Way higher than expected for the year overall. Fair play to Nintendo, nice to see their games back in the top ten!

Edit : surprised by no origins in the top 10. Is there a top 20 we can get anywhere? Would love to see other switch game positions + origins and horizon in the overall top sellers.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the charts LOCK
This is great about consumer revenue spend. It's a consistent reported metric over years and comparable.

(yeah i know there is inflation and the US population is getting bigger, but this is the overall market size)
If you look at 2008 retail revenue was 21 billion. Add a few billion and you would get total consumer spend because digital and online services were just starting out. Now compare 2017 with total consumer spend and you can see why many companies are transitioning towards games-as-a-service because consumers are spending over half of their gaming dollars online in some fashion.

If some one has the chart, can you post the total number of game releases at retail. If not, I'll try to find it or make it later. Should show this trend very clearly.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I knew BotW would be a hit, I didn't predict it would be this much of a hit. #5 for the year with no digital sales. Nintendo have had a phenomenal year all around.

Speaking of which, I wonder why Nintendo are the only ones not sharing digital sales at this point. Seems like it would only be a positive thing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG 7th without counting PC digital? It only appeared in shops at the middle of December and on one platform. Jesus Christ.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I knew BotW would be a hit, I didn't predict it would be this much of a hit. #5 for the year with no digital sales. Nintendo have had a phenomenal year all around.

Speaking of which, I wonder why Nintendo are the only ones not sharing digital sales at this point. Seems like it would only be a positive thing.
I think it has to do with the fact that they are around 10-20% digital ratios while many companies are hitting 50%.

I assume its a PR move to not release digital numbers since it adds a sense of mystery, but at this point they have become the odd man out which is having the opposite effect.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think it has to do with the fact that they are around 10-20% digital ratios while many companies are hitting 50%.

I assume its a PR move to not release digital numbers since it adds a sense of mystery, but at this point they have become the odd man out which is having the opposite effect.

PR could also spin the comparative low digital ratios and present the Switch as the last bastion for traditional gaming appealing to the physical-first crowd and nostalgics. They could also be more aggresive with their PR stressing the lack of loot boxes and MT's on Nintendo games. But I guess they don't want to upset third parties and risk to lose the almost non-existent EA and Activision support :P.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Skyrim only behind the big hitters for Switch. I think that probably bodes well for it.

Gib Fallout New Vegas plz bethesda

Top 10 2017 games per platform by revenue (from Mat video)

Xbox One
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. Destiny 2
  3. NBA 2K18
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  6. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Assasin's Creed: Origins
  9. For Honor
  10. Injustice

PlayStation 4
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Horizon Zero: Down
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017
  8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  9. FIFA 18
  10. MBL: The Show

Nintendo Switch (only physical)
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  6. ARMS
  7. Pokken Tournament DX
  8. 1-2 Switch
  9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Nintendo 3DS (only physical)
  1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  3. Pokemon: Sun
  4. Pokemon: Moon
  5. Super Mario Maker
  6. Metroid: Samus Returns
  7. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  8. Super Smash Bros.
  9. Mario Kart 7
  10. Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World

Edit: So slow.

"1-2-Switch was a flop" amirite?

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
280k without digital is such a splendid result.

That's like 50% more than fire emblem awakening NPD debute.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
swarm intelligence. COD is the mass market standard for online console shooting. when there is a new version, people switch over to stay in the pont with the most players as long as the quality level is kept on a certain level. especially if there is something new (or not seen for a while) like ww2.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
280K for Xenoblade 2 while charting at #16 and having a far more expensive LE, would mean that Splatoon 2's December numbers are likely around 300-325K. So overall Splatoon 2 is maintaining a 20-25% attach rate in the US, personally with digital I expect it to be around 1.25M for 2017.
Overall based on these results I expect that Switch software did pass 3M for December and is likely closer to 3.5M. In terms of software I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario Odyssey, MK8D, Zelda:BotW, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 made up >80% of software sales for December. So something to the tune of 2.8M, with SMO being the game that is taking a large chunk of those sales with possibly around >1M while MK8D and Zelda:BotW combined are probably around >1.2M(>700K vs >500K).
That would leave under <700K units of software for the likes of Mario & Rabbids, Pokken, Skyrim, Arms, Just Dance 18 etc. I'm kind of suprised M+R and Pokken ended up outselling Skyrim in December. I think all three titles are above >100K units.

If Switch software is indeed above 3.5M that would put 3DS Software above 1.435M. Pokemon USUM likely did more than 700K combined if that's the case.

Top 5 titles on Switch combined are above 3.34mm themselves

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Companies see games like CoD, WoW, and Overwatch and think they can easily just follow the same business plan and reap the profits. Not to say you can't succeed in those genres, of course, but those games should be viewed as exceptions in terms of business success and player retention and not as a standard for everyone else to follow.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Damn, 280K is great for XC2 and counting digital I'm sure is closer to 350K. Glad that the game has been well-received sales-wise. Now it just needs to reach that sweet 1 million.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Call of Duty is huge when everyone moves on to the new Call of Duty. At one point in 2017, the player base was split between Infinite Warfare, Black Ops III, and Modern Warfare Remastered. That was really the first time since World at War that the newest game was not where the vast majority of players were putting their time. Three consecutive futuristic games was overkill. It isn't like the mass market ever once exhibited a preference for wall running, jet packs, and laser weapons over the conventional Call of Duty style of gameplay. I don't know if the "standings" have changed recently, but as of two years ago Aquamarine confirmed that MW3 was still the fastest a Call of Duty game had sold. If it has been outpaced by a newer game at launch, we would have heard Activision screaming it from the rafters.

The market is normalizing and showing growth, that is not a decline.

I think your big mistake is equating hardware growth as the predominant factor for the health of the industry. Increase in hardware sales do not equate to increase in profit necessarily and a healthy industry is more than the hardware companies selling a lot of hardware.
Agreed. I am not seeing a scenario where Sony lusts for the glory days of PS3 burning cash and PSP software sales getting ruined by piracy.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 consoles potentially doing over a million is an amazing result.

In December 2009 the three current home consoles (i.e Wii/360/PS3) sold a combined 6.48 million consoles, with the 360 coming in third with 1.31 million. Add into that the DS, PSP and PS2 and you had 10.78 million dedicated video game devices sold in one month.

Anyone think that'll ever be surpassed?

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent sales on XC2.

Really glad that Nintendo keeps on funding games like this despite selling a fraction of their more bankable properties like Zelda or Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.