• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
COD WW2 sales are legit fucking insane. As in, nothing comes close to touching this thing on current gen but GTAV

PUBG is doing baller

Nintendo software is just frankly fantastic. And yes people should be happy about that Xenoblade 2 result (if you are into that sort of game)

Thanks Benji for the info about Xenoblade2! I hope this brings more RPGs to the Switch

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity. Did Xenoblade X chart on NPD when it was released?

(obviously the original didn't have any chance given its strange release)
Ah! Thanks for quickly looking that up! Well, no surprise given its release on the Wii U. But still shows that Xenoblade 2 is definitely performing far better than its immediate predecessor.

And it's a good point to note that this charting for Xeno 2 does not include Online/Digital Sales, which are probably substantial too.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was a much older game and GT has diminished in the States.
huh? Horizon and Zelda came out days apart
People buying PS4 for the library, Switch for the new hotness games

so it kind of makes sense
kind of makes sense but it makes me think that Sony IPs just don't seem have the same impact as Nintendo's and to smaller extent mS's
That's sad, because it was still in TOP 10 until November. :-/

It sold good regardless, but i was hoping to see it in the TOP 10 for the whole year.
wow, top 10 since Novemer? that is still pretty impressive. Great start for a series no doubt.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
good to see Metroid Samus Returns in at least one chart. at least that means it was among the 3DS games that did sell during last year and didn't crash like other games such as Mario & Luigi SS remake.

also, is it me or is Splatoon 2 relatively weak compared to how it is selling in japan? over there it's the top selling Switch game but here it can't even beat an enhanced port.

Splatoon being at #14 in the NPD is actually pretty solid, and it's not really fair to compare it to Japan. Splatoon in Japan is on a completely different level than it is over here. It is THE Nintendo game in Japan. There was that thread about Splatoon 2 being the first game to hit 2 million in Japan since Wii Party in 2010.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the games marked with * "do not include battle.net sales," but most of them don't seem to be blizzard or activision games. does it also mean no steam and/or origin sales?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 charted, all is right in the world.
Now to aim for that 1M worldwide.

Last edited:

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
Top 10 2017 games per platform by revenue (from Mat video)

Xbox One
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. Destiny 2
  3. NBA 2K18
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  6. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Assasin's Creed: Origins
  9. For Honor
  10. Injustice

PlayStation 4
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Horizon Zero: Down
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017
  8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  9. FIFA 18
  10. MBL: The Show

Nintendo Switch
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  6. ARMS
  7. Pokken Tournament DX
  8. 1-2 Switch
  9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Nintendo 3DS
  1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  3. Pokemon: Sun
  4. Pokemon: Moon
  5. Super Mario Maker
  6. Metroid: Samus Returns
  7. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  8. Super Smash Bros.
  9. Mario Kart 7
  10. Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World

Edit: So slow.
I'm very surprised that Rocket League isn't on there for Switch since it's been like #1 or #2 on the eshop bestsellers list since launch. Or does Nintendo not give digital numbers to NPD? In which case Xenoblade is most likely skewed upwards on both lists since the game takes up half the internal memory on its own when bought digital.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Great results all around.

Glad to see Xenoblade at number 16 compared to multi-platform juggernauts, all the better since these don't include digital eShop purchases.

Benji or Harker, can you confirm if XC2 did better than XCX's 200K December debut?

Benji has not NPD figure, only Harker can confirm this. I hope we'll hear about that soon.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that two of the most famous franchises ever made it into the top 10!

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Very good for xenoblade 2, 9th at switch annual ranking.
It is ranked by dollars sales, so we have to think about prices and special edition.
That is the case of xenoblade 2 and mario rabbid.
I am seeing skyrim around 260K and 1-2 switch near to 350K.
So for xenoblade 2, i hope 280K-300K

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm very surprised that Rocket League isn't on there for Switch since it's been like #1 or #2 on the eshop bestsellers list since launch. Or does Nintendo not give digital numbers to NPD? In which case Xenoblade is most likely skewed upwards on both lists since the game takes up half the internal memory on its own when bought digital.
The bolded is true.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the rankings would look if you include digital from Nintendo.

Given how the eshop is performing for indies, I think we're a long way from digital being just 10% of sales, I would think it's easily double that on the low end.

Thanks to the NPD Group and VentureBeat for the breakdown.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/18/...ds-the-hardware-pack-in-a-3-29-billion-month/

Bonus stage: The best selling games of 2017

Overall

2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2*
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  8. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017*
  9. Super Mario Odyssey**
  10. Mario Kart 8**

Impressive showing for Nintendo for the overall 2017 top 10 software as well.

I noted Battlefront II is down (in terms of ranking) compared to 2015 Battlefront, which ended the year at #4 , but without numbers, and with the list from 2015 being physical only, it's hard to estimate how the lootbox fiasco impacted sales.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-ten-best-selling-us-games-of-2015-and-december/1100-6433845/

Best-Selling Physical Games in US for All of 2015:
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  3. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  8. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  9. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear on my COD comment, that's just saying if it continues to sell like it has been (which I see no reason legs would be cut off / short)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

No digital numbers from Nintendo indeed.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that 2k18 released first digitally on Switch. It couldn't compete imo.

Skyrim was over 100k last month (probably around 110-115k) so I think that it should be about 200k without counting digital sales.
yeah, that's not great for FIFA, and NBA to a lower extent, but that probably skews digital like you said. That's assuming Skyrim had a really good retail hold too...

FIFA could be a decent amount under 200k. Maybe digital helps it out.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
kind of makes sense but it makes me think that Sony IPs just don't seem have the same impact as Nintendo's and to smaller extent mS's

2017 probably showed that Nintendo's IP can capture people's imagination like few others

They've always said their IP is their most valuable asset

Having said that, due to generations there have been seasons where people are buying Nintendo for the library, with no blockbusters released and Sony goes gangbusters

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I know. Splatoon is huge in Japan.

But your post implies that Splatoon should be beating MK8D outside Japan.
BOTW won't beat MK8D in the west. (or anywhere)

why would splatoon?

Splatoon being at #14 in the NPD is actually pretty solid, and it's not really fair to compare it to Japan. Splatoon in Japan is on a completely different level than it is over here. It is THE Nintendo game in Japan. There was that thread about Splatoon 2 being the first game to hit 2 million in Japan since Wii Party in 2010.

i just thought this game would see massive gains once it was freed from the Wii U handicap like Mario Kart. i guess i overestimated it.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No physical release so isn't recorded on NPD

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 Nintendo 3DS** 2017 :

1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  3. Pokemon: Sun
  4. Pokemon: Moon
  5. Super Mario Maker
  6. Metroid: Samus Returns
  7. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  8. Super Smash Bros.
  9. Mario Kart 7
  10. Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World

Lol. Pokemon Switch is going to be insane isn't it ?
Wow, good showing for Metroid only being behind Pokémon and Mario Maker!

And wow at it beating Fire Emblem even though it came out after, so many people were telling me how Fire Emblem eclipsed Metroid as a Nintendo series ;)

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Does anyone know when was the first PS4 price cut or the first Wii price cut was?

How likely do you think we see a Switch price cut or actual bundle (sale) in 2018? My guess is that whenever they actually do a proper cut, is right before the second iteration of the Switch is coming around.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone provide some sense of scale here? Like, based on past trends, what would it take to get to the top 20 or top 10?

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
What were you expecting to win? It's generally #1 every year, and this was the strongest since 2012.

At the beginning of the year I thought there was an outside shot Destiny 2 or Battlefront 2 might have actually had the opportunity to dethrone COD. It turned out Activision positioned WWII perfectly and neither D2 or BF2, despite performing great, were quite the behemoths I had anticipated.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
My bad, didn't put that 3DS and Switch games are only physical.
Xbox and PS4 games have digital included.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
i just thought this game would see massive gains once it was freed from the Wii U handicap like Mario Kart. i guess i overestimated it.
It has probably already outsold the WiiU version by now (I'm guessing it's at almost 6 million shipped by now), so you are seeing those gains. Splatoon 2 could very well end up north of 10 million a x2 improvement over the original.

Splatoon 2 is not the only title to see gains from being on a successful platform, so that's why a relative ranking like this might not make it evident.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yay Xenoblade 2 in the top20. And without digital sales.

I'm also quite surprised the game outsold Skyrim for 2017.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know when was the first PS4 price cut or the first Wii price cut was?

How likely do you think we see a Switch price cut or actual bundle (sale) in 2018? My guess is that whenever they actually do a proper cut, is right before the second iteration of the Switch is coming around.
First PS4 price cut was in October 2015 , around 2 years after launch.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Very good for xenoblade 2, 9th at switch annual ranking.
It is ranked by dollars sales, so we have to think about prices and special edition.
That is the case of xenoblade 2 and mario rabbid.
I am seeing skyrim around 260K and 1-2 switch near to 350K.
So for xenoblade 2, i hope 280K-300K

Is that supposed to be with Digital?
even so 260k sounds high for Skyrim

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 slaying thanks to the powah of friendship.

Time to raise hand and *boop*.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of the year I thought there was an outside shot Destiny 2 or Battlefront 2 might have actually had the opportunity to dethrone COD. It turned out Activision positioned WWII perfectly and neither D2 or BF2, despite performing great, were quite the behemoths I had anticipated.

Yeah I too thought early in the year there was a chance D2 could be the best selling game of the year.

But COD WW2 did WAY above what I thought it would do (I think its higher than anyone, even Activision anticipated) and D2 legs have been fairly poor imo.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its pretty likely that Splatoon 2 is either close or has already surpassed lifetime sales of the Splatoon.
Its also a game that will continue to be bought by new owners since Nintendo continues to update it and literally twice a week the Switch news feed is featuring a new map/new weapon/new splatfest ect. I honestly won't be surprised if during December it was close to it's launch month numbers.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Battlefront is actually down compared to 2015 as well, in terms of ranking. BF 2015 ranked #4 in 2015 (physical only) #8 in 2018 with digital though excludes some digital sales .

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
All the people worried about Xenoblade earlier today, nothing to worry about!! It did pretty good for what it is.

Omg. Looking at the youtube video and going slide by slide and seeing the complete turn around from nintendo is melting my heart. As a huge supporter of the Wii U it's crazy to finally say Nintendo is back on top! (to be more realistic, sharing the top with sony!!!)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Because both D2 and BF2 did not have great word of mouth, while this COD was seen as pretty good for the series.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great month overall.

Nintendo did great, Battlefront did good it seems with the movie coming together.
And the list of the best selling games is expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.