• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Remember whe people thought that porting Mario Kart 8 to Switch was a mistake from Nintendo?

I77zdZa.gif
i was one of those people and now i'm eating my words. So smart. The best thing they could do is release Mario Kart 8 Deluxe near the System's Launch and then Mario Kart Double Dash 2 or HD Remaster in the 2nd half of the console's lifecycle

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D2 legs have been fairly poor imo.

That was expected, still I'm thinking it's more far more profitable thus far than Destiny Vanilla despite the legs being poor. The problem is that it's a GaaS game and if Bungie are unable to entice lapsed players or gain new ones it will require yet another reboot.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The real shocker to me is Xenoblade 2 selling more than Skyrim over the year.
I know Skyrim is old but still that game is super popular

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, good showing for Metroid only being behind Pokémon and Mario Maker!

And wow at it beating Fire Emblem even though it came out after, so many people were telling me how Fire Emblem eclipsed Metroid as a Nintendo series ;)

Metroid's showing is great because
-It was a remake without much hype behind it
-It was made by an untested third party studio
-It was on the 3DS rather than the Switch, and many big-spending early adopters had left that console behind
-The fans had been in open revolt for years
-3DS is easy to pirate on (I know multiple people who pirated Samus Returns)
-While very good, it wasn't one of the best Metroids

So all told, it's really encouraging. If they could get Metroid Prime 4 out while the Switch is still hot and make it a great game I think it would do amazingly.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Xenoblade 2 charting makes my heart happy. Its such an amazing game, and the love poured into it deserves every sale it can get.

I trully hope it reaches 1 million ww at least, and trully think it may have a shot if launch sales in the us are 300k or more sans digital.

Would trully love to have an approximation on how many units it sold.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Revenue, not units. Xenoblade had a special edition. So it may not be above Skyrim in units. We actually don't know how the units look for the middle portion of that Switch list.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I almost wish we got Switch top 20 2017 so we could really see where FIFA, NBA, are next to DBZ, USFII, FEW, DOOM, and all those.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Samus Returns seems to have done pretty well for itself, even doing better than FE Echoes. Good stuff!

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 top 10 for the year is kind of sad. It's all shooters, sports and Horizon. Very little variety.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 above Skyrim for the year on Switch means it sold at least 200k w'o digital, damn good imo.

Edit: oh nvm I thought Skyrim moved 200k in Nov. Meh :/

Last edited:

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
People were confident Horizon would outsell Zelda. Then again, it was a time when people thought the Switch would flop, so i'll let them savor their crow in peace.

I don't think anyone impartial to the situation thought Horizon would outsell Zelda

Zelda broke E3 and launched on two platforms

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
So happy Zelda is the best selling game on Switch, love seeing this game do so well. Splatoon 2 holding up in the top 20 5 months after its release is so awesome to see as well!!!

Zelda #5 and being a system exclusive next to all of those massive multi-platform smash hits, makes me feel so good. Hooray for Link!

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So happy to see that physical packaged games are growing alongside digital.

Anyone who wished for the death of one or the other was the real loser. More choices in the market are best.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Revenue, not units. Xenoblade had a special edition. So it may not be above Skyrim in units. We actually don't know how the units look for the middle portion of that Switch list.
further more Skyrim wasn't sitting in stores for months it was released in November.

Its not like it didnt chart. Its #10 for Switchs top 2017 games. Pretty good result.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, frankly, I recall the opposite, that people thought Horizon would bomb like The Order 1886 did.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
So was this tweet inaccurate, or does Odyssey jump ahead with Digital? EDIT: I guess >55% could still mean >60% so arguing semantics it may have not been inaccurate.

From Jan 4:

Nintendo Switch 2017
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  6. ARMS
  7. Pokken Tournament DX
  8. 1-2 Switch
  9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Is that supposed to be with Digital?
even so 260k sounds high for Skyrim

No digital of course.
NPD June 2017 : 256K for Arms
July 2 Media create : 149K for Arms

https://gematsu.com/2017/07/media-create-sales-62617-7217

NPD December 2017 : I am thinking at less, something upper than 250K for Xenoblade 2.
31 december 2017 : 156K for Xenoblade 2

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/media-create-sales-12-25-17-12-31-17

It's time to speculate for the million seller WW for Xenoblade 2.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like everyone did reasonably well in terms of sales success in December? Good to see

Not seems like. They did.

I wonder how the rankings would look if you include digital from Nintendo.

Me too. Working on it.

Ok, I had to stop right here.

I said damn.

I mean obviously the Switch is what's causing alot of the growth YoY. But this is significant too IMO.

I think so too.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Units is nice but revenue is more important for the corporations.

There's a reason Nintendo really started going hard on special editions of their games with Wii U and 3DS, because it's another way to get more money out of their most enthusiastic fans.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
No digital of course.
NPD June 2017 : 256K for Arms
July 2 Media create : 149K for Arms

https://gematsu.com/2017/07/media-create-sales-62617-7217

NPD December 2017 : I am thinking at less, something upper than 250K for Xenoblade 2.
31 december 2017 : 156K for Xenoblade 2

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/media-create-sales-12-25-17-12-31-17

It's time to speculate for the million seller WW for Xenoblade 2.

why would skyrim sell ~100k in Nov, then 160k in Dec?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious why Wii and Gamecube are excluded from the generational comparison.

Second post trying to sidetrack into discussing the Wii. Stop it.

At no point, anywhere, in the quotes or the charts are there generational comparisons that would include other platforms.

Is this some kind of meme at this point? To muck up sales threads with Wii tangents?

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade did well.

I always have faith the franchise will survive, all it needs are good and consistent character designs as well as actual depth to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.