• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Also can we talk about Breath of the Wild's Performance? Top 5 of the year and up there with the biggest AAAs of the industry. The revised formula really was the key to breaking out every more.

That's without digital too which is even more impressive.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
so I just wonder going forward if it will always be this way. it seems like, no matter how much of an impact a Sony IP makes, it will never be equated to the impact any of the Nintendo IPs had
Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart are the three premier Nintendo IP's. Outside of that I would say Pokeman is the major big hitter worldwide.

On Sony's side Horizon is a new IP and likely to have moved over 6m worldwide. GT Sport is around 3.4m (profile data), and Lost Legacy seems to be around 3m (taking into account it was originally DLC).

For 2018 however, it's a safe bet to say God of War and Spider-Man will both outsell Horizon. Decent reviews pending, I'd also say Days Gone will surpass it's sales. It just chimes with the casual audience. The biggest of all, of course, should be Last of Us 2, but that's not a 2018 title.

Oct 27, 2017
Agree that it's a HUGE month for Nintendo... but I got to think those 4 multiplats aren't doing very well based on Skyrim just barely cracking the top 10 Switch games of 2017.

As somebody who wants to see more of these types of games on Switch, this is pretty disheartening. I hope someone leaks numbers for Doom and Skyrim.

Oct 27, 2017
So glad to see MLB The Show chart for best selling PS4 in 2017. Well deserved for the best sports series out there. They never cut features, only add to the game.

Nov 1, 2017
My darling little underdog :3
j3c1Amql.jpg

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Heh. It's a hot topic. Right now I believe it will go into Software, much like things such as Wii Fit and that kind of thing. If there's a game cart included, Software. If it's add on packs, most likely Accessories. Haven't seen the SKU plan though, so who knows!

Are you going to be doing any kind of 2018 predictions video Matt? Also do you think we'll continue to see the PS4/Xbox One combo outpace PS3/Xbox360 as wasn't it around this time Kinect launched and had a big boost for Xbox360 hardware? Think this year the gap might start to close a little.

Anyway stunning numbers all round and this year likely to be even better, great to see

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Heh. It's a hot topic. Right now I believe it will go into Software, much like things such as Wii Fit and that kind of thing. If there's a game cart included, Software. If it's add on packs, most likely Accessories. Haven't seen the SKU plan though, so who knows!
It does include a game cart so it should go in software.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Glad to see PUBG, Battlefront II and Xbox do well. Great month in video game sales all around.

Also Call Of Duty WWII is totally deserved, the campaign is excellent.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Well that is not completely true. I would say Uncharted, GOW and TLOU are up there and Gran Turismo used to be. Horizon did great for a new IP and can't really be compared to those IPs yet. In general though yes. Zelda, Mario, Smash, Kart and Pokemon will be hard to match by any one. Nintendo is being carried by their first party games and it has been that way for almost 2 decades now.
in order for those IPs to be "up there" on the level I'm talking about, Nathan Drake, Kratos, and Ellie & Joel have to become the same household names that Mario, Link & Zelda, and Pikachu are. And they're not, and no matter how many installments of each franchise is released, I'm not sure they ever will be. Perhaps Kratos but I'm not too sure if it's on that level and maybe Ellie after tlou2.
Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart are the three premier Nintendo IP's. Outside of that I would say Pokeman is the major big hitter worldwide.

On Sony's side Horizon is a new IP and likely to have moved over 6m worldwide. GT Sport is around 3.4m (profile data), and Lost Legacy seems to be around 3m (taking into account it was originally DLC).

For 2018 however, it's a safe bet to say God of War and Spider-Man will both outsell Horizon. Decent reviews pending, I'd also say Days Gone will surpass it's sales. It just chimes with the casual audience. The biggest of all, of course, should be Last of Us 2, but that's not a 2018 title.
Mario, Zelda, Pokemon I don't rule out, and I would say Smash as well. In fact Brawl is the best selling fighting game of all time. And all of the characters are very well known even outside of video game circles. They're practically pop culture icons.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if BF2 didn't suffered the huge backlash it would had surpassed CoD in sales? Probably not, but still.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Man, this was a great month for Nintendo. It seems like XC2 did fairly well although I wish that we had more concrete numbers, I really want this franchise to become more important.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be frank and say I thought the Switch was a 1 + 1 = 1.5 situation.

Meaning I assume that Nintendo could get its fan to buy 2 of its platforms, a console and a handheld, previously so for a hybrid hardware like Switch, it will sell lower than the ltd of both of its platform combined. People only need to buy 1 platform to enjoy both sets of exclusives.

But it appears that it may be even a 1 + 1 = 3 situation where the hybrid factor along with its stellar marketing widen the appeal of both demographic combined.

The 3ds have fantastic legs in 2017 if you look at its 2017 december sales as well as its YTD in Japan's media create. Pokemon, which is somewhat a yearly franchise, could provide the same legs for Switch on its 4/5/6 years. Switch will naturally dominate the hardware landscape in Japan so most third parties Japanese developers would probably port over their games for the Japanese audience there.

Future does look rather bright.

If I were Nintendo, I will think of how to monetize my online offerings and probably try some ways to charge a higher price than the $20 that was reported or have a price differentiation for its premium customer.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox and PlayStation top 10 virtually the same.

The exclusives argument regarding sales looks redundant.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear lord at PUBG, and these arnt unit sales right?

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wow, Good on Nintendo, so whats the YTD for all 3 consoles. Is Donny from GAF here in Era?? Missed those piecharts and graphs showing cumulative breakdowns. Also the console market is still a beast. Don't think mobile is taking a huge marketshare from them anytime soon.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PUBG should be in the top ten selling games for 2018, X1 version alone.

Insane how that game is doing

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox and PlayStation top 10 virtually the same.

The exclusives argument regarding sales looks redundant.
it makes you wonder doesn't it, biased or not people saying Sony putting forth so much of an effort in 1st party software and people saying mS not only doing a subpar job but making them all release on PC giving players less of a reason to choose it

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
People are surprised about COD? Now that GTA is basically a "one per generation" franchise, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. COD will lose that spot when GTA VI comes out... in 2020 if we are lucky.

Lack of exclusives in Xbox annual top ten is phenomenally weird for having just released a $499 system.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wasnt paying attention to thes numbers somehow for past years so.. nba and madden.. that high in best selling games of whole year? Is this like annual or? How come FIFA isnt there? I must ve reading something very wrong or else. WTF?

Fifa isn't here because this isn't the european sales thread :p

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
That top 10 for the Switch for the year is neat.

I guess Fire Emblem Warriors just wasn't a great seller anywhere lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be frank and say I thought the Switch was a 1 + 1 = 1.5 situation.

Meaning I assume that Nintendo could get its fan to buy 2 of its platforms, a console and a handheld, previously so for a hybrid hardware like Switch, it will sell lower than the ltd of both of its platform combined. People only need to buy 1 platform to enjoy both sets of exclusives.

But it appears that it may be even a 1 + 1 = 3 situation where the hybrid factor along with its stellar marketing widen the appeal of both demographic combined.

The 3ds have fantastic legs in 2017 if you look at its 2017 december sales as well as its YTD in Japan's media create. Pokemon, which is somewhat a yearly franchise, could provide the same legs for Switch on its 4/5/6 years. Switch will naturally dominate the hardware landscape in Japan so most third parties Japanese developers would probably port over their games for the Japanese audience there.

Future does look rather bright.

If I were Nintendo, I will think of how to monetize my online offerings and probably try some ways to charge a higher price than the $20 that was reported or have a price differentiation for its premium customer.

You're not the only one. I will still be shocked if it does better than Wii u and 3D S combined. With the 3DS still selling it might not be an easy thing.

It took a few years for me to believe the PS4 had a chance at 100 million. And I thought the XBO would be doing better.

I thought folks saying PS4 could sell 100 million were crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
in order for those IPs to be "up there" on the level I'm talking about, Nathan Drake, Kratos, and Ellie & Joel have to become the same household names that Mario, Link & Zelda, and Pikachu are. And they're not, and no matter how many installments of each franchise is released, I'm not sure they ever will be. Perhaps Kratos but I'm not too sure if it's on that level and maybe Ellie after tlou2.
Mario, Zelda, Pokemon I don't rule out, and I would say Smash as well. In fact Brawl is the best selling fighting game of all time. And all of the characters are very well known even outside of video game circles. They're practically pop culture icons.

If they kept IPs going long enough I believe they could, but Sony studios don't tend to do that so likely not. I would put Lara Croft from Tomb Raider up there as an icon and Uncharted has been the more successful IP since its debut despite being an exclusive.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Happy to see Xenoblade 2 in the top 20. One of my favorite games of the year and also my RPG of the Year.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are surprised about COD? Now that GTA is basically a "one per generation" franchise, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. COD will lose that spot when GTA VI comes out... in 2020 if we are lucky.

Lack of exclusives in Xbox annual top ten is phenomenally weird for having just released a $499 system.
CoD will lose that spot this year with RDR2 coming out (doesn't matter if Spring or Fall)

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't. The amount of sales is vastly different between the two, and even if the biggest sellers are the same, the choice of which console is bought goes to exclusives.
but none of Sony's exclusives were in the top 20, so it seems like the main seller is 3rd party
If they kept IPs going long enough I believe they could, but Sony studios don't tend to do that so likely not. I would put Lara Croft from Tomb Raider up there as an icon and Uncharted has been the more successful IP since its debut despite being an exclusive.
perhaps they never had any of their IPs running long enough because none of them had that long lasting appeal. GT Sport is the 7th installment and it seems although it sold very well, the IP is not as popular as it used to be. gow is another huge IP, it's the 4th installment it looks like it's the start of perhaps a new iteration (even though it's not a reboot). And people speculate that down the road there will be an Uncharted 5.

Nov 4, 2017
So Nintendo was the only platform with true exclusives in the top 20, and it had SIX of them?! My inner childhood Nintendo fanboy is gleaming.

Interesting to see HZD squeeze into the top 10 after 10 months on the market (even without the Christmas bundles many were expecting) amongst such a busy year for games on PS4. And of course; PUBG slaying it on the Xbone. If they can lock that down as an exclusive it will pay off in spades IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.