• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
State of the Market -

Dec 2020 US NPD THREAD - December 2020 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories reached a December record $7.7B, 25% higher when compared to a year ago. Full year spending also set a new record, totaling $56.9B, 27% higher than 2019.

US NPD Hardware -
  • Hardware dollar sales reached $1.35 billion in December 2020, an increase of 38 percent when compared to a year ago, and the highest total for a Decemeber month since the $1.37 billion achieved in December 2013.
  • Annual hardware dollar sales totaled $5.3 billion, 35% higher than 2019, and the most since $5.6 billion was reached in 2011.
  • Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in units and dollars for both December and the 2020 year. Annual dollar sales of Switch hardware were the 2nd highest for a platform in U.S. history. Only the 2008 dollar sales of Nintendo Wii were higher.
  • PlayStation 5 finished 2020 as the #2 best-selling console in dollar sales, while PlayStation 4 ranked 2nd in units sold. PlayStation 5 set a new dollar sales record for PlayStation hardware through each platform's first December.

US NPD SW -
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War was the best-selling game of both December as well as 2020, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was 2020's 2nd best-seller. Call of Duty ranked as the best-selling gaming franchise in the U.S. market for a record 12th consecutive year.
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons was 2020's 3rd best-selling title, and the 6th best-selling game of December. In 2020 the title achieved the highest physical dollar sales for a Nintendo published game in a calendar year since Wii Fit Plus in 2010.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 debuted as the #2 best-selling game of December, and the 19th best-selling game of 2020, despite the lack of digital tracking.
  • The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year's 6th best-selling title overall. The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the 3rd best-selling Sony published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel's Spider-Man and 2018's God of War.
  • Half of the top 20 best-selling games of December 2020 were published by Nintendo.

US NPD SW - December 2020 Top 20 Sellers
(Kindly Note - SW Charts are by Revenue )

Erxx5gxVgAE6m4J

Erxx_vdVcAEe4XR

ErxyFyeVoAMmygh

ErxyLklU0AAeY2l

Yearly Charts Software

Erxx8cWUcAQlyS8

ErxyC0eU0AcHwZj

ErxyItrU0AEdOWL

ErxyOiLUYAIxKNq

US NPD ACCESSORIES - Spending on video game accessories reached $546m in December 2020, 15 percent higher when compared to a year ago. 2020 spending gained 21 percent, to $2.6 billion.

Gamepad spending reached a new dollar sales record high in 2020. Sony's DualSense Wireless Controller was the best-selling Gamepad of both December and 2020 in units sold."

Thanks Mat Priscatella

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo having 10 games in the December Software Top 20 without digital counted is very impressive.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Oof, Cold War is terrible too and has done nothing but muddy up the fun that is Warzone.

Oct 27, 2017
4 Sony games in the annual chart (+ one another PlayStation exclusive with FF7 Remake) is probably a first, isn't it ?

Nintendo with 10/20 games in December, just like last december I believe.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing numbers by Nintendo's evergreen titles.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Nintendo having 10 games on the multiplatform top 20 despite digital not included for them is just bonkers.

Also nowadays it is not unusual to see digital rates well above 50% especially due to covid so it feels less and less relevant to share such a list where half of the games have digital not included.

The best would be to buy the data from Nintendo (and other publishers who don't share yet) of course, but if it is not possible then it would be useful to post 3 separate list:
- the current version
- only physical top 20
- only digital top 20 (where available)

I don't have much hope for anything like that, but let's be honest the current form where the one of - if not the - biggest publisher has half of its sales numbers missing isn't particularly useful any more.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the 17th best selling game in December on phyiscal alone nearly 4 years after launch

zelda-wii-u-link-climbing.jpg

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I can only imagine how monstrous Animal Crossing would look on these charts with digital sales included

Jan 20, 2019
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War was the best-selling game of both December as well as 2020, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was 2020's 2nd best-seller. Call of Duty ranked as the best-selling gaming franchise in the U.S. market for a record 12th consecutive year.
wtf...

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
ugh at cyberpunk, hate how they made bank with a broken game sold on lies.
pretty sure not many people bothered to get refund as well

Raigor

May 14, 2020
wtf...

We need Rockstar to stop this domination lol

That's incredible tho and we don't even have Warzone revenue for NA

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 3D All-Stars must be one of the best revenue on investment Nintendo ever made considering it's a compilation of slightly polished ROMs and sold better, without digital included, than FVII Remake and Marvel's Avengers, both including digital.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
PS5 and XBX|S issues ain't going to be fixed until Summer 2021 at least.

They have to make and ship more consoles, there's a lot of demand.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Cold War doing so well despite being kind of disappointing is a bummer. Last year's game and the Black Ops name carried it a lot, I guess. Curious to see if this will be a down year again.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Switch HW sales in December are disappointed - on a high level of course. So Nov + Dec was lower YoY which nobody would have expected here a few weeks ago

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I can only imagine how monstrous Animal Crossing would look on these charts with digital sales included

This is a broad range of what I could estimate based on the snippets of data Nintendo has provided for Animal Crossing. Around ~60% digital share in Europe + US for its 22M sales figure through Jun 30, 2020. They didn't add additional % data for the July-Sep period (though that only added 3.64M globally, so not moving the needle much) so I made the same assumptions for that frame. Obviously we have yet to get the data for Oct - Dec.

Nintendo during Q1 results on bottom of page 11 (when sell-through was >20M and shipment was >22M):

Vahgp9e.png

US + EUR + JP = ~50%. Since we know JP shipments and we know max possible digital in JP (assume no inventory at end of quarters), we can come up with a minimum % for US + EUR if we make an assumption for how much shipments were outside of US/EUR/JP.

They said something similar in Q4 FY19 when ACNH launched as well. They didn't specify for FY20 Q2 per my memory, but I'm scouring the report now.

So here's the breakdown, with the working assumption being % of sales coming from outside of those three regions. I used three scenarios (10% / 15% / 20% for OTHER) and broke down the splits by quarter so far (using Famitsu LTD data for Week 13 / 26 / 39). My 59% was lower than this breakdown. The lowest figure I get now is 60% if Other is only 10%.

This is dig as a % of shipments, so you'd have to remove the inventory buffer again, but that just inflates the % even further.

7FEE5Bi.png

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
  • The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year's 6th best-selling title overall. The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the 3rd best-selling Sony published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel's Spider-Man and 2018's God of War.

That can't be right, I was told Naughty was going to go broke for getting woke!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Marvel's Avengers sold more than Miles Morales.

SQUARE ENIX WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG

/s

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
The charts are somewhat skewed. Take-Two with no digital really changes things. NBA2k21 would be top 5 if they added digital as they normally would and GTA V would be top 10 as well.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 and XBX|S issues ain't going to be fixed until Summer 2021 at least.

They have to make and ship more consoles, there's a lot of demand.
I think Xbox will be fixed by summer. I don't think PS5 production is going to be solved this year at all. Demand is high, but it's deeper than that. Covid is going to really mess up the first 12-18 months of PS5 supply, I predict.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious how PIkmin 3 Deluxe is doing. It's not charting, but it's over 500K in Japan, which makes me think that it may just be chugging along quietly just under the radar.