• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Switch is a beast.

93447-Key-and-Peele-OH-SHIT-gif-sung-Ao5j.gif

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Mario is out there breaking records yet none of my IRL Switch owning friends have Mario games. I guess it might be because they're basically edgy and gritty teens who avoid bright colors.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
It sold 10 million as of May 2019, so it's unlikely that it's only at 2 million+ since then. With the series having sold over 50 and the 2018 version having likely sold over 20 million, it's a monster of a game. And many of Sony's games in the past generation have sold incredibly well, but they're part of a genre that does (games like Uncharted, Horizon, GOW, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us).

No reason to think DeS, of all games, is going to be explosive like that.

I linked it above. Just by the math of what each game sold, GOW is very likely over 20 million. We have official numbers for the entire series, so this is based on those.

Putting aside supply constraints, I wouldn't expect DeS to chart like a God of War or Ghost of Tsushima or Last of Us Part II. People also should remember that there's a difference between getting Top 10 in April and getting Top 10 in November. You could sell the same intro numbers as something like Bloodborne (which did maybe a few million total) and not chart as high considering how many units these games are moving.
Hmmm

Unfortunately, I don't think this is enough to definitively say that GOW2018 sold 20 million units; a lot could have changed in the years since the last time we got a tally for the series, up to and including changing the way they count things like compilations (similar to how Capcom counts the physical edition of Iceborne as two sales).

That's not to say that GOW didn't sell that much, of course, but it's impossible to be make definitive statements or comparisons without official numbers, which Sony hasn't been willing to share in a long, long time. The only point of comparison we have is that Dark Souls 3 charted at number 1 in its first month and number 10 in its second, and like you said before, it's not a meaningful comparison—both because March vs November is difficult, but also because the environments they initially sold in were very, very different

Still! Still, I think it's fair to say that Demon Souls isn't lighting the charts on fire, but without platform splits or any concrete numbers it's hard to say how it's doing compared to prior games. Just... not particularly well, even though those circumstances aren't entirely its own fault

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
This is just the top 20 games of the month. It is December. Titles outside of the top 20 sold well. Immortals Fenix Rising is a new IP and it is on that list. Ring Fit Adventure is a new IP and it is on the list. Did you forget these?

No, I didn't, but a few outliers don't change the fact that the list is mostly dominated by stale franchises with annual updates.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It sold 10 million as of May 2019, so it's unlikely that it's only at 2 million+ since then. With the series having sold over 50 and the 2018 version having likely sold over 20 million, it's a monster of a game. And many of Sony's games in the past generation have sold incredibly well, but they're part of a genre that does (games like Uncharted, Horizon, GOW, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us).

No reason to think DeS, of all games, is going to be explosive like that.

I linked it above. Just by the math of what each game sold, GOW is very likely over 20 million. We have official numbers for the entire series, so this is based on those.

Putting aside supply constraints, I wouldn't expect DeS to chart like a God of War or Ghost of Tsushima or Last of Us Part II. People also should remember that there's a difference between getting Top 10 in April and getting Top 10 in November. You could sell the same intro numbers as something like Bloodborne (which did maybe a few million total) and not chart as high considering how many units these games are moving.
Given how GOW2018 tracked in NPD in latter 2019 and 2020 (aka: it didn't) and the US is by a good margin GOW's biggest market hisorically, I'd say it's honestly pretty unlikely the game did 10m+ in the last year and half. Speculative math based on a an uncredited NYT series total casually thrown out doesn't really inspire much confidence.

To make a rough comparison, in the window we're talking about (mid 2019 to now) BOTW has sold around 6m worldwide (minus one quarter, it'll probably go 7m+). BOTW has also pretty consistently charted better that GOW2018 in that same window for the big markets we get deeper charts for (US, Japan, UK, Germany) some of which for it lacks digital while GOW doesn't. So how could you explain GOW outselling it?

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Given how GOW2018 tracked in NPD in latter 2019 and 2020 (aka: it didn't) and the US is by a good margin GOW's biggest market hisorically, I'd say it's honestly pretty unlikely the game did 10m+ in the last year and half. Speculative math based on a an uncredited NYT series total casually thrown out doesn't really inspire much confidence.

To make a rough comparison, in the window we're talking about (mid 2019 to now) BOTW has sold around 6m worldwide (minus one quarter, it'll probably go 7m+). BOTW has also pretty consistently charted better that GOW2018 in that same window for the big markets we get deeper charts for (US, Japan, UK, Germany) some of which for it lacks digital while GOW doesn't. So how could you explain GOW outselling it?

At least for NPD, those charts are revenue charts and nintendo games mostly go for full price or close to it. BotW on avg sells the each copy for $55 while GoW is probably roughly $25. That makes it difficult to chart like new games/Nintendo 1st party games.

That and maybe Sony digital is higher so GoW with that too. Of course BotW is most likely selling more imo (US). BotW is in its own league as an evergreen which is a single player game. But don't forget Horizon Zero Dawn also had great legs but wasn't showing in the charts too (cuz of how low the game was selling for)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
At least for NPD, those charts are revenue charts and nintendo games mostly go for full price or close to it. BotW on avg sells the each copy for $55 while GoW is probably roughly $25. That makes it difficult to chart like new games/Nintendo 1st party games.

That and maybe Sony digital is higher so GoW with that too. Of course BotW is most likely selling more imo (US). BotW is in its own league as an evergreen which is a single player game. But don't forget Horizon Zero Dawn also had great legs but wasn't showing in the charts too (cuz of how low the game was selling for)
That's true about revenue but digital is counted for GOW in NPD (but not for BOTW). Still I really can't see how GOW did enough to exceed 20m with how it's charted globally in 2019/2020. And it's all speculation based on that NYT series figure of 51m, which is also pretty dubious really. But hey, guess who else gives a series total figure of 51m.

edit: link won't work, it's Chartz. NYT got numbers from Chartz. Same for Ghost's 5m.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's true about revenue but digital is counted for GOW in NPD (but not for BOTW). Still I really can't see how GOW did enough to exceed 20m with how it's charted globally in 2019/2020. And it's all speculation based on that NYT series figure of 51m, which is also pretty dubious really. But hey, guess who else gives a series total figure of 51m.

edit: link won't work, it's Chartz. NYT got numbers from Chartz. Same for Ghost's 5m.
Oh dear. Why are big websites like NYT and Nikkei starting to refer back to VGChartz? I thought we were past that phase. I guess if arguments need to be made for sales articles, the Famitsu Digital estimates adage of "bad numbers are better than no numbers" rears its ugly head.

Edit: Ah, just read to the end of that thread and it looks like VG copied the NYT number and gave it an earlier date lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oh dear. Why are big websites like NYT and Nikkei starting to refer back to VGChartz? I thought we were past that phase. I guess if arguments need to be made for sales articles, the Famitsu Digital estimates adage of "bad numbers are better than no numbers" rears its ugly head.

Edit: Ah, just read to the end of that thread and it looks like VG copied the NYT number and gave it an earlier date lol.
lolyes, that's my best guess as to what happened. The reporter confirmed it came from Sony PR at least.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe COD is #1 and #2, and we aren't even counting their real cash cow: Warzone.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long that Switch NPD streak can continue

I thought it would be broken in November. I was wrong.
Depends on multiple factor. I am expecting Switch to sell at a very high level at least for the begining of the year and PS5 shipments won't be able to compete.

Now Sony will probably have big shipments around big releases like Horizon for example so it'll also depend whether Nintendo has something planned for that month too.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how people tried to say TLOU2 was a dissapointment commercially in comparison to expectations? Like there was threads about it.

Also remember how people were mad about the Spider-Man Avengers exclusivity but it's 5th on Xbox?

Fun stuff

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
DualSense as the best selling gamepad last year is kind of shocking. Sony must have produced a lot more of these than their supply-constrained next gen console.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm glad to see Marvel's Avengers on the lists. I think with some updates and DLC, this game can pull a Battlefront 2/NMS.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty disappointed that Ring Fit couldn't even make the Switch Top 10. That's two months in a row now and those months being the biggest of the year. Tsk. We all know that if a game fails to chart in the individual charts, its sales might as well be nothing.

On a more serious note, here is Nov 2020 Switch rankings extend with information from this month's information:

1. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
2. Animal Crossing
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Mario 3D All-stars
5. New Super Mario Bros Deluxe
6. Just Dance 2021
7. Luigi's Mansion 3
8. Mario Kart Live
9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
10. Legend of Zelda: BotW
11. ????
12. Ring Fit Adventure
13. ????
14. Super Mario Odyssey
15. Super Mario Party

Rign Fit could be #11, #12, or #13. Any guesses on the other two games?

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Call of Duty can just be mediocre year after year for years, and still sell like crazy, and looks like that shit ain't ever changing.

I'm relgating CoD to the same corner of my gaming perspective that EA's half-assed rushed garbage sports games sit in because it's all the same to me

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when Nintendo's, Microsoft's and Sony's next earning calls are?

Call of Duty can just be mediocre year after year for years, and still sell like crazy, and looks like that shit ain't ever changing.

I'm relgating CoD to the same corner of my gaming perspective that EA's half-assed rushed garbage sports games sit in because it's all the same to me
Out of curiousity, what would you like see being done differently with the CoD games? Personally, i think they're pretty good games. I havnt played Cold War, so i cant say much about that title though, but i played Modern Warfare (the one from 2019) for maybe 200 hours+ hours or so :) I think it s always interesting to see what they do of new things, but i think their limited to what they can do without changing the formula too much. The biggest recent changes are probably the inclusion of Battle Royale mode, and also Ground War mode (big maps with up to 32 VS 32 players. Kinda like the Battlefield games).

About EA sports games and CoD games, i think see what you mean, but personally, i think theres a noticeably difference between them. CoD games today takes about 2-3 year to make, while sports games like FIFA are made by the same studio in a years time, unless i'm mistaken. To be fair though, sport games are more of the same (its not like soccer changes dramatically from year to year), so less work is required for those titles in comparison (and in some way, since sports overall changes little, it might be more of a challenge to come up with new things and changes to make the sequels interesting), while CoD games are basically brand new games with new characters, maps and weapons etc..

EDIT: I added a bit of text.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when Nintendo's, Microsoft's and Sony's next earning calls are?

Out of curiousity, what would you like see being done differently with the CoD games? Personally, i think they're pretty good games. I havnt played Cold War, so i cant say much about that title, but i played Modern Warfare (the one from 2019) for maybe 200 hours+ hours or so. I think it s always interesting to see what they do of new things, but i think their limited to what they can do without changing the formula too much. The biggest recent changes are probably the inclusion of Battle Royale mode, and also Ground War mode (big maps with up to 32 VS 32 players. Kinda like the Battlefield games).

CoD games today takes about 2-3 year to make, so a pretty good amount of work goes into each title, while sports games like FIFA are made by the same studio in a years time, unless i'm mistaken. To be fair though, sport games are more of the same (its not like soccer changes dramatically from year to year), so less work is required for those titles, while CoD games are brand new games with new characters, maps and weapons etc..

February 1st for Nintendo. Not sure about the other two.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Out of curiousity, what would you like see being done differently with the CoD games? Personally, i think they're pretty good games. I havnt played Cold War, so i cant say much about that title though, but i played Modern Warfare (the one from 2019) for maybe 200 hours+ hours or so :) I think it s always interesting to see what they do of new things, but i think their limited to what they can do without changing the formula too much. The biggest recent changes are probably the inclusion of Battle Royale mode, and also Ground War mode (big maps with up to 32 VS 32 players. Kinda like the Battlefield games).

About EA sports games and CoD games, i see what you mean, but personally, i think theres a noticeably difference between them. CoD games today takes about 2-3 year to make, so a pretty good amount of work goes into each title, while sports games like FIFA are made by the same studio in a years time, unless i'm mistaken. To be fair though, sport games are more of the same (its not like soccer changes dramatically from year to year), so less work is required for those titles in comparison, while CoD games are brand new games with new characters, maps and weapons etc..
I think you just cant change CoD much with the current release schedule outside of minor refinements, it would piss off everybody. They still sell gangbusters every year, so I wouldnt expect this to change, but like Halo, I think CoD would benefit from making the multiplayer a separate perpetual client and then taking the time and releasing a campaign every 2 or 3 years. That way they could be so much more ambitious and actually changing the core would be viable.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
February 1st for Nintendo. Not sure about the other two.
Thanks. Do we have any indications how this quarter has been for Nintendo compared to the same quarter in 2019? Nintendo seems to have had a great quarter now at least.

I think you just cant change CoD much with the current release schedule outside of minor refinements, it would piss off everybody. They still sell gangbusters every year, so I wouldnt expect this to change, but like Halo, I think CoD would benefit from making the multiplayer a separate perpetual client and then taking the time and releasing a campaign every 2 or 3 years. That way they could be so much more ambitious and actually changing the core would be viable.
Yeah, too much changes can also lead to negative feedback too, thats true.

Splitting the multiplayer from the single player is an interesting idea i think. Do you think that they would go the route of charging for the multiplayer in that case, like a monthly/yearly subscription, or go Free To Play like they do with CoD Warzone?

It shall be interesting to see how things turn out for Halo Infinite, and how things will change in terms of sales when the multiplayer is Free To Play. I think it will be an indicator to how many who buys Halo games mainly, or at least a bigger part, for the single player campaign. But the multiplayer being F2P could also lead to bigger revenue overall compared to before as well. Only time will tell :)

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Do we have any indications how this quarter has been for Nintendo compared to the same quarter in 2019? Nintendo seems to have had a great quarter now at least.

Yeah, too much changes can also lead to negative feedback too, thats true.

Splitting the multiplayer from the single player is an interesting idea i think. Do you think that they would go the route of charging for the multiplayer in that case, like a monthly/yearly subscription, or go Free To Play like they do with CoD Warzone?

It shall be interesting to see how things turn out for Halo Infinite, and how things will change in terms of sales when the multiplayer is Free To Play. I think it will be an indicator to how many who buys Halo games mainly, or at least a bigger part, for the single player campaign. But the multiplayer being F2P could also lead to bigger revenue overall compared to before as well. Only time will tell :)

I believe Nintendo sold 10.89 m Switch's in Q3 2019. It should be up YoY and I think most people believe it will end up setting the record for most units sold in Q3 in Nintendo's history.

I'm sure somebody can correct me or provide more detailed explanations.

Edit: I checked and Switch sold 10.81m in Q3 2019. I also confirmed the top Q3 Nintrndo HW record belongs to NDS with 11.89. Switch should take the top spot IMO.

Last edited:

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
After a request in another thread:

Dec:
Switch: ~2.1m
PS5: ~0.8m
XS: ~0.7m

Nov:
Switch: 1,36m
PS5: 1.14m
XS: ~0.8m

Top 5 retail titles (units):
Dec:
Cyberpunk 2077: ~1.2m
CoD: Black Ops: ~1.1m
NBA 2K21: ~0.8m
Animal Crossing: ~0.7m
Mario Kart: ~0.6m

Nov:
AC Valhalla: ~0.7m
Miles Morales: ~0.7m
NBA 2K21: ~0.4m
Hyrule Warriors: ~0.3m

Last edited:

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Dec:

Nov:

Dec:

Nov:

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Holy cow at those switch numbers. Just ridiculous. PS5 and Xbox Series also had good launched but looks like supply constraints impacted December sales.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dec:

Nov:

Dec:

Nov:
thanks for sharing the numbers

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Could these insane switch numbers be a reason why we didn't have any sales bragging PR for PS5 ? I mean, their sales are nothing to be ashamed of, yet they said nothing, maybe because "we sold 2 millions in 2 months" isn't as good when one of your competitor sells 2 millions in one month...

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could these insane switch numbers be a reason why we didn't have any sales bragging PR for PS5 ? I mean, their sales are nothing to be ashamed of, yet they said nothing, maybe because "we sold 2 millions in 2 months" isn't as good when one of your competitor sells 2 millions in one month...

Its supply constrained.

You can't compare both either

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Switch keeps on trucking!

I believe if Nintendo were to also release a Switch console which was in between say a Series S and Series X hardware wise (thus also had support from Activision, EA, WB, Rockstar etc) they would completely dominate the console market Worldwide. The Switch platform could be their foot in the door to return to that position.

Nah. They'd struggle. Because it wouldn't be a Switch console anymore.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Dec:

Nov:

Dec:

Nov:

NPD? Lower numbers for Miles Morales than expected in December.