• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
GOW and Spider-Man have been great yeah. Good for Sony first-party. MHW has been successful too, but also has a huge ton of sales on PC and Xbox. Don't underestimate those 5M+ sales on Steam (according to Steamspy).

Dragon Quest XI revenue record is for the US, which is a small market for the brand. Come back when a new DQ game is breaking records in Japan - or in case of a western country, France.

VR is irrelevant. Entertainment VR is unsustainable. Good luck with that.
This is so dumb what is up with the downplaying ?

Mar 17, 2018
I think this is a game people will buy up readily in the 20-40 range. A lot of people have backlogs. This is on the top of my list on Steam, but I am finishing up way too many games here. I suspect after a bit this one will do really well when people have time for it.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Square Enix is satisfied with this result. The game may not yet be a juggernaut in absolute terms, but this is still a big step for the series. They need to not give up, and keep pushing it forward.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It honestly doesn't paint that good a picture, at least for me, as this tells me it's only performed marginally better than DQ9.

Agree, but it is going to have a second swing at US sales with the Switch version, which should make this a net win over DQIX. Switch owners have consistently seen ports of games sell well, even with ports that were very late.

Oct 30, 2017
OMG OMG OMG YESSSSSS!!!!!!

This makes me wanna cry out of happiness and relief :"-)))))

This will assure the franchise to continue coming to west on consoles and Steam which is the best compo.

I'm so happy.....

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how this franchise has been on Nintendo consoles for a long time, I wonder if the Switch version will outsell the PS4 one in the west.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope Square Enix is satisfied with this result. The game may not yet be a juggernaut in absolute terms, but this is still a big step for the series. They need to not give up, and keep pushing it forward.

The series has done relatively well outside Japan for JRPG (DQ8 and DQ9).
DQ11 result is pretty much a side step from those 2 entries.
If SE hasn't done anything after DQ9, I doubt they will change with DQ11.
They probably will just do the same thing again for DQ12.
Release without much promotion and expect mid-tier result outside Japan.

Considering how this franchise has been on Nintendo consoles for a long time, I wonder if the Switch version will outsell the PS4 one in the west.

I doubt this will happen even if DQ11 Switch has huge additional contents.

Oct 27, 2017
The downplaying team sure was quick to handle things in this thread <3

Because Jarod is discounting the other platforms Monster Hunter (Xbox/PC) and Dragon Quest (PC) were on to play up the PS4 even more.

And no, I'm not discounting anything : Monster Hunter World has been a huge success on Xbox One and Steam, and DQXI benefited greatly from the Steam release for sure.

My remark still stand though and there's no need to be upset about facts : worldwide, both Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest came back with huge success on PlayStation after a long absence on this platform. 2018 is really a year to be remembered on a lot of front.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any source to back up that first statement ?

In general higher pricing tiers are good for developers but I really doubt that Hori made the plattform decision based potential retail prices.
It's more than decade ago but upon deciding DQ9's platform the CEO had to say the retail price would be set to "highest possible" (of the DS standard I presume), at the investor's meeting. I suppose it was to dodge the bullet thrown from investors and they were the target audience of that quote, but that of course the quote got leaked to Japanese news outlet and gamers started to throw brick at him (usual greedy pubs / lazy devs shit). It's worth nothing that the CEO guy back then was very positive and optimistic on Nintendo platforms, and he still had to say that to shareholders..

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
There were some niche jRPG that sold pretty well outside Japan with minimal marketing, like Nier and Persona.

I don't think Nier: Automata is comparable to Persona and DQ, sure, you can say Persona and Dragon Quest share similiarities, but Nier? Nah.

Nier and Persone 5 were Q1/Q2 titles compared to the September release of Dragon Quest, and releasing Japanese games at the beginning of the year proved to be a successful move.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, isn't this only counting the ps4 physical?

It's counting physical and digital for PS4 and PC

Source
RANKINGS
Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel, ranked on dollar sales
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man
  2. NBA 2K19
  3. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  4. FIFA 19^
  5. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
  6. Madden NFL 19^
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Destiny 2^
  9. Super Mario Party*
  10. NHL 19
  11. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes Of An Elusive Age
  12. WWE 2K19
  13. Grand Theft Auto V
  14. Mario Kart 8*
  15. Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  16. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  17. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy^
  18. Super Mario Odyssey*
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  20. Minecraft*
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very unlikely considering how late it will be released and that the PS4/Steam versions will have had multiple price drops and sales by then.

If they launched around the same time? Sure...but like this? They would have to add bunch of extras to make the Switch version worthwhile for fans that already bought it and maybe launch it at a cheaper price as well. Especially latter isn't something I wouldnt expect SE/Nintendo to do....when they are charging 50 bucks for TWEWY and DQ Builders 1 ages after the initial release.

Hope I'm wrong though.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Extracting the US sales, but the share is more of 30%. I did the math earlier in the thread.

Ah yes, I see it. Hopefully the game will continue to pick up sales as its a lot of fun. First Dragon Quest I've properly played, did try #1 on my phone but didn't get very far as don't get on with games on mobile.

But then I really enjoyed World of Final Fantasy and sales of that never set the world on fire.

Oct 28, 2017

tenor.gif

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
This, Ys8, Persona 5 and Xenoblade2 all doing well just means good thing for JRPGs in general.
I hope we'll continue to see more of these kind of good sales record.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering this is physical and digital between two platforms and the game costs $60 vs $35... pretty whelming. Could have been so much better if they had released it in a timely manner and not during fucking Spider-Man month.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Do we need a thread for every detail out of the NPD report ? .

Yes, we need one in this case.

Some people here for months says that DQ XI flop and SE choice was wrong ( like when Capcom was suicidal with Monster Hunter World it seems...) and what we have now ? The best launch in the franchise history. Really funny facts.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overall Square Enix didn't make the franchise grow at all since DQIX which doesn't bode well for future releases. If it released a month before things would have been much better.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news.

I love the game and happy it did well.

Hopefully DQ XII is on the way.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Overall Square Enix didn't make the franchise grow at all since DQIX which doesn't bode well for future releases. If it released a month before things would have been much better.
Well, to be fair, this should have been worldwide release in the first place.
Dunno why SE always takes ages for DQ localization.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Exactly.
SE release dates are unbelievable to me, why did they release Dragon Quest, Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Life is Strange in the same month?
Just Cause 4 is the only game with a decent release date and Octopath.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
TBF they could have I think, but that would be without voice acting or anything.
Heck Japanese voice recording (for the Switch version) hasn't even ended afaik.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, to be fair, this should have been worldwide release in the first place.
Dunno why SE always takes ages for DQ localization.

DQ has always been massive in size and script since DQ7.
Development of DQ is also controlled by Horii with SE having little say, so I'm not sure if they can change it to incorporate localization at the same time.