• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Good result, but then is based on revenue ($35 vs. $60). And the $35 game was retail only, the $60 game was retail and digital.

But no biggie. As long as it keeps doing well, and more games make it over here without Nintendo paying for them, the better.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The downplaying team sure was quick to handle things in this thread <3
No one's downplaying anything about DQ11, only stating facts. We actually have launch numbers for DQ9 cause NPD used to give us those back then. Launch sales of DQ9 was 132k. The math of DQ11 comes around to 150k or so.

The fact is that DQ11, across PS4 and PC only performed marginally better than an exclusive title on the DS. To me, that isn't very good.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people here for months says that DQ XI flop and SE choice was wrong ( like when Capcom was suicidal with Monster Hunter World it seems...) and what we have now ? The best launch in the franchise history. Really funny facts.
And you seem to not be reading the thread considering how multiple people explained why the "double" thing is about dollars, not units sold. This game had almost double the average price of the previous entry and did... guess what, double the dollars. The growth is small (betweek 10 and 20K sales) even with the game on more platforms.

Comparing this to Monster Hunter World is ridiculous. MHW is a juggernaut that did absurd huge numbers over previous entries in the region, DQXI is almost flat in units.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once I'm home I'll do the maths but if someone wants to get ahead: in Europe it did much lower in UK but better in Spain than DQIX.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you realise that Japan is part of the world?

Yes... ? Japan didn't see a mainline Dragon Quest on PlayStation since the PS2 era and even including PSP, the last Monster Hunter on PlayStation was Monster Hunter 3 Portable I guess ?

So both of those critical japanese franchise have been missing for a long period on PlayStation and came back in full force with MHW and DQ11, being a success in Japan and also expanding worldwide. Is there anything else I can do for you ?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Is he strictly talking about the overseas launch, or does this statement take the Japanese launch into account as well?

Oct 25, 2017
The fact is that DQ11, across PS4 and PC only performed marginally better than an exclusive title on the DS. To me, that isn't very good.
Made some good money though. Hope it keeps up. DQIX eventually hit 1.12 million overseas, so I kinda wanna see it reach that.

Is he strictly talking about the overseas launch, or does this statement take the Japanese launch into account as well?

NPD is US only.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.
SE release dates are unbelievable to me, why did they release Dragon Quest, Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Life is Strange in the same month?
Just Cause 4 is the only game with a decent release date and Octopath.

Octopath was handled by Nintendo in the west, i think? SQEX handled the japanese release for that game ... and look how THAT turned out. It's almost worth the term "wanting to fail".

SQEX's handling of DQ is just bad. A different release month AND the 3DS version would've gotten them better numbers. That they made more revenue on 2 platforms with a higher price and a even more pricey limited edition is neither surprising, nor does it mean they really made more, seeing as Nintendo took care of localization for the handheld games with SQEX benefitting.

Dunno why japanese devs/pubs have sometimes issues with some of their IPs. SQEX with DQ, pre World Monster Hunter and Capcom, Bamco and their sometimes releasing Tales of games in the earlier years and with the mainline handheld titles.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Now imagine how well it could've potentially done if it was released during one of the quieter summer months and not mere days before Spider-Man came out. It's borderline miraculous it sold as well as it did.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
No one's downplaying anything about DQ11, only stating facts. We actually have launch numbers for DQ9 cause NPD used to give us those back then. Launch sales of DQ9 was 132k. The math of DQ11 comes around to 150k or so.

Yeah, I'd like to see the numbers before being too excited. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

I have no interest in the series myself, but it's nice to see JRPGs do well.

Oct 27, 2017

I would not say "more than double the previous revenue" is "marginally better" but hey, no downplaying alright.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd like to see the numbers before being too excited. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

I have no interest in the series myself, but it's nice to see JRPGs do well.

Quoting myself:
Assuming DQXI had 30% of share on steam on NA out of the 100k estimate by steamspy, it means that out of the around 150k units sold there's around 50k on Steam and thus ~100k on PS4 at full price.

Meaning :

PS4 + Steam DQXI > DQIX > PS4 DQXI > Steam DQXI.

Relatively speaking it didn't do that good but still respectable sales.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
People don't care about DQ spinoffs and remasters in the west. The fact that it's 2018 and the 3DS is dead likely played a bigger part.

Still, the 3DS game is finished, and i think both games, while playing different somewhat, share the same script, so the translation for the PS4/PC version could've been reused for the 3DS.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now imagine how well it could've potentially done if it was released during one of the quieter summer months and not mere days before Spider-Man came out. It's borderline miraculous it sold as well as it did.

The sad thing is, you could apply this to most Square-Enix games released in recent memory. Their publishing arm straight up sucks.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Do we need a thread for every detail out of the NPD report ? There's a ton of them and it'd be better to not split the discussion.

Still, very good but expected performance on the revenue side since it's a 60$ game and LE are counted.

Well, yes we do considering NPD threads are apparently a shitshow. Plus not everyone's going to click on that.

Yes, we need one in this case.

Some people here for months says that DQ XI flop and SE choice was wrong ( like when Capcom was suicidal with Monster Hunter World it seems...) and what we have now ? The best launch in the franchise history. Really funny facts.

Nothing funny about it. Square did well in spite of their stupid decision, not because of it. And I'm positive in August or July this game would've performed even better.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming DQXI had 30% of share on steam on NA out of the 100k estimate by steamspy, it means that out of the around 150k units sold there's around 50k on Steam and thus ~100k on PS4 at full price.

Meaning :

PS4 + Steam DQXI > DQIX > PS4 DQXI > Steam DQXI.

Relatively speaking it didn't do that good but still respectable sales.

Stop spinning the numbers. The game was released is a very busy month. They aren't stellar but they are good.

Also why get the smaller number in the arc and this weird split of 50k Steam sales for just the US...

We should stick to what we know, XI is the best selling DQ in the west. And that's a small triumph for the series.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop spinning the numbers. The game was released is a very busy month. They aren't stellar but they are good.

Also why get the smaller number in the arc and this weird split of 50k Steam sales for just the US...

We should stick to what we know, XI is the best selling DQ in the west. And that's a small triumph for the series.

I'm calculating actual numbers, you can do your shilling with someone else.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Still, the 3DS game is finished, and i think both games, while playing different somewhat, share the same script, so the translation for the PS4/PC version could've been reused for the 3DS.
The 3DS script is a bit different since it has its share of exclusive content

It's not a whole lot but it exists

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
It is the money that matters to SE after all. There is a reason NPD's report is revenue based now.
Regarding this I remember Matt stating it quite nicely but I can't find it now..

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't true though. DQXI could end up being the best selling game in the west, but it's far too early for that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not say "more than double the previous revenue" is "marginally better" but hey, no downplaying alright.
I'm not debating revenue. The extra revenue is good. I'm debating the units sold, because the revenue paints a good picture on that. And we have a reference point to the previous title since NPD gave numbers back then.

This isn't true at all since Mat's tweet is about revenue, not units sold. It doubled its revenue because it's double the price of DQ9. You could sell similar amounts to the previous title and hit double the revenue. It's math!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

It has the best revenue generated in the opening month for the US.

It's nowhere near beeing the best selling DQ game in the west, like.. at all

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from additional contents plot is actually a bit different for two versions (some NPC placements, quests and such). I have no idea why SE did that though..

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While that is good in a way, by units the difference probably isn't that big. DQ9 was far cheaper and DQ11 is 60$ along even Special editions so not surprised that the revenue is bigger. Anyway, the thing is, we'll have to wait for the financial results of SE to see how the game reached for the calculations and expectations made in there. They probably will find it fine but not to change to a WW release.

Octopath was handled by Nintendo in the west, i think? SQEX handled the japanese release for that game ... and look how THAT turned out. It's almost worth the term "wanting to fail".

SQEX's handling of DQ is just bad. A different release month AND the 3DS version would've gotten them better numbers. That they made more revenue on 2 platforms with a higher price and a even more pricey limited edition is neither surprising, nor does it mean they really made more, seeing as Nintendo took care of localization for the handheld games with SQEX benefitting.

Dunno why japanese devs/pubs have sometimes issues with some of their IPs. SQEX with DQ, pre World Monster Hunter and Capcom, Bamco and their sometimes releasing Tales of games in the earlier years and with the mainline handheld titles.

The company with issues with DQ isn't SE. They do well on that side. The problem is the western side handling the franchise.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering this is a $35 product Vs a $60 product with an expensive LE this seems like a solid but not spectacular result, which seems very in line with the little we saw from the European charts.

It's still looking pretty likely that DQIX will remain the best selling(units) game worldwide.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing funny about it. Square did well in spite of their stupid decision, not because of it. And I'm positive in August or July this game would've performed even better.

But the bad choices for that people are also to put the game on PS4 and not releasing in the West the 3ds version after the uber flops of the precedent DQ 3ds games, and not releasing the ghostly Switch version at the same time, we have to make context.

What we have now is the best Us launch in franchise history, but it seems that we we can downplay this fact after all ^^

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The company with issues with DQ isn't SE. They do well on that side. The problem is the western side handling the franchise.

All my examples were in terms of western releases. Neither company i stated have problems with mishandling the listed IPs in the west. And SQEX US is still SQEX, i would excuse them in Europe due to having a distribution/publishing partner, but not in the US.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that DQIX was an uncommonly leggy game in its lifetime sales. Especially in Europe. If it can keep getting consistent sales like IX I can see it getting there eventually.
The game was leggy because of how it was made. It also encouraged people (both in Japan and overseas) to keep their game, limiting the second hand market.

I just don't see it happening for DQ11

My hope is that through sales, the PC version gets super leggy