• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

NPD February 2018: Monster Hunter World #1 SW, PS4 #1 HW

ZhugeEX

诸葛亮 - 卧龙
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks to The NPD Group and Venturebeat for the breakdown.

Here are the numbers for February 2018:
  • Total: $995 million (up 23 percent from $811 million in February 2017)
  • Hardware: $316 million (up 55 percent from $204 million)
  • PC and console software: $397 million (flat from $397 million)
  • Accessories: $282 million (up 35 percent from $210 million)

Software

After leading the market in January, Monster Hunter: World repeated as the month's top-selling title overall, once again leading on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms. Unsurprisingly, Monster Hunter: World is currently 2018's best-selling game.

Call of Duty: WWII was February's second best-selling title, and remains the best-selling title for the 12-month period ending February 2018.

Mario Kart 8 returned to the top of the Nintendo Switch chart for the first time since May 2017. Nintendo was February's leading publisher in software dollar sales, while Capcom remains the top-selling publisher of 2018.

Hardware

Total hardware unit sales, dollar sales and average pricing were all up by double-digit percentages in February 2018 when compared to a year ago. Console hardware spending reached the highest total for a February since 2014.

Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in February, and remains the best-selling console year to date. Nintendo Switch remains on a record-setting sales pace.

Over the first twelve months in market, Nintendo Switch has achieved the highest installed base for a console platform in history.

Rankings

Individual Platform Charts

• Monster Hunter: World
    • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
    • Call of Duty: WWII
    • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    • NBA 2K18
    • Dragon Ball: Fighterz
    • UFC 3
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
    • Assassin’s Creed: Origins
PlayStation 4

• Shadow of the Colossus (2018)
    • UFC 3
    • NBA 2K18
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    • Madden NFL 18
    • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
Nintendo Switch (physical only)

• Mario Kart 8
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Bayonetta 2
    • Splatoon 2
    • Pokken Tournament DX
    • Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
    • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • Arms
    • Dragon Quest Builders
Nintendo 3DS

• Pokemon: Ultra Sun
    • Pokemon: Ultra Moon
    • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
    • Mario Kart 7
    • Minecraft
    • Super Smash Bros.
    • Mario Party: The Top 100
    • Super Mario Maker
    • Kirby: Battle Royale
    • Super Mario 3D Land
The best-selling games of 2018 so far

• Grand Theft Auto V
    • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds**
    • NBA 2K18
    • Super Mario Odyssey*
    • Mario Kart 8*
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    • UFC 3
The best-selling games over the last 12 months

• NBA 2K18
    • Destiny 2
    • Madden NFL 18
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Star Wars: Battlefront II
    • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Mario Kart 8*

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
A Monster Hunter game at #1 two months straight in the US. That game is a bigger worldwide success than anyone could have expected.

Oct 25, 2017
I would’ve thought PS4 would beat Switch in monster hunter launch month, then it would reverse in Feb. not the other way around.

Pretty interesting results. Numbers must be incredibly close.

Also fuck yeah Bayo 2! Where’d the Wii U one debut?

Oct 27, 2017
Mexicali, Mexico
I wanted SotC to be in the Top 10, but oh well. At least it charted.

Congrats to Capcom, MHW it's a home run and then some.

Edit. With the correct chart, SotC is #6; so, I'm a happy man :)

Last edited:

Benji

US Sales Insider
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of titles in the top 15 that are just showing tremendous legs is kinda staggering

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 2 actually charting in top 20 when the Wii U version didn’t (even if it is a format change) is very good to me.

That said nothing out of the ordinary on the whole front, but special lol to SAO making more revenue than Battlefront 2 somehow.

Nov 27, 2017
I was more surprised that Switch was top seller last month with the only notable titles being Celeste and Lost Sphear. Made sense for it to drop without any really big games releasing in February.

Oct 28, 2017
So happy that MHW has found the success it has. Only partly because people actually know what I'm talking about now when I bring it up in conversation.

Oct 26, 2017
Hardware
Since the launch of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One X, the PlayStation 4 has no longer dominated the hardware sales. Nintendo and Microsoft are both seeing growth as well. “Sony’s PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in February,” said Piscatella. “And it remains the best-selling console year to date.”
Dragon Ball held very well. Monster Hunter World is doing excellent as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom: Come Deliverance doing fantastic!

(Wish the new update didn't frustrate me so much. Fixed so many quest bugs, but added some new other bugs too.)
I'm impressed with how the console versions sold, as I expect it would be a pretty janky experience and Deep Silver weren't the best at promoting their recent games. On PC, the game's done very well, comfortably sitting above 600k sales. For comparison, Prey, another ambitious singleplayer game from last year, has only just crossed the same figure of 600k sales, and that's after being available for ten months, which included heaps of sales and a permanent price drop.