• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I can still find people playing MH3U on WiiU. I could find people playing Tri more than 3 years after its release. No issues getting people for 4U either nor Generations. These games largely had regional servers too.

It's pretty hard for me to believe that people that actually play MH would look at the success of the game thus far on Xbox One and be worried that it would have userbase issues. Xbox One has a way more active online userbase than Nintendo systems traditionally have.

The game is probably sitting around ~1m on Xbox One. That's impressive and a healthy pull for a Japanese oriented franchise. Shrug.
yea userbase argument doesn't make sense for a game this big
I think they wanted mhw to blow up on consoles, but simultaneously wanted it to fail on xbox or something...

which would seem counterintutive

Frankie_baby

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
I can still find people playing MH3U on WiiU. I could find people playing Tri more than 3 years after its release. No issues getting people for 4U either nor Generations. These games largely had regional servers too.

It's pretty hard for me to believe that people that actually play MH would look at the success of the game thus far on Xbox One and be worried that it would have userbase issues. Xbox One has a way more active online userbase than Nintendo systems traditionally have.

The game is probably sitting around ~1m on Xbox One. That's impressive and a healthy pull for a Japanese oriented franchise. Shrug.

Nintendo systems traditionally have is a complete misnomer, back in the day MKwii had a bigger online player base than even the biggest 360 shooter of the month

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
So glad. This was a dream come true for me. MH sales and success, that is.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second

The leak said
By SKU, the top-selling title was Monster Hunter: World for PS4, followed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo), and Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo).

But the corrected list now has SOTC at #6, a PS4 exclusive, and above MK8D and SMO.

So something's got to give.

....anyone want to chime in?

Does the leaker somehow have access to nintendo digitial numbers and that's why? (seems 99% unlikely).
I thought it'd be weird if they were above COD PS4 to begin with...

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Wait a second

The leak said

But the corrected list now has SOTC at #6, a PS4 exclusive, and above MK8D and SMO.

Does the leaker somehow have access to nintendo digitial numbers and that's why? (seems 99% unlikely).
I thought it'd be weird if they were above COD PS4 to begin with...
The leak was retail only, per SKU. SOTC includes digital.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second

The leak said

The leak is unit SKU physical only
The ranking is $ titel including digital

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
yea userbase argument doesn't make sense for a game this big
I think they wanted mhw to blow up on consoles, but simultaneously wanted it to fail on xbox or something...

which would seem counterintutive

It's just console wars. When you look at it like that it makes more sense.

Nintendo systems traditionally have is a complete misnomer, back in the day MKwii had a bigger online player base than even the biggest 360 shooter of the month

Singular game, the second best selling one of that generation (or maybe 1st depending on how you want to slice it) vs the totality of the 360 online userbase. Naw. The 360's online base was much much more active than the Wii's.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
John Harker
Hey John!
Thanks again for the numbers. Very great month for a lot of software and all of the big three. Would it be fine if you would let us know if Bayonetta 2 at least outsold the Wii I versions' debut in 2014 October NPD?
Thanks!

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Fastest selling console in US history in it's first year, "losing".
Switch is doing very well, but the "fastest all time" omits the GBA, which did much, much better in its first 12 months. It's also partly an artifact of Switch's launch timing. After 13 months, Switch will very likely be behind Wii. After 14 months, it will certainly be behind Wii and PS4, and probably behind Xbox One as well. After 15 months, it will fall behind PS2, and be the fifth-fastest-selling console in US history. (Again ignoring the GBA.)

Of course, that's still in the top tier, and Switch has rosy prospects ahead. It's just that the "fastest all time" claim has a fair amount of spin involved to suggest the sales rate is unprecedented, which it isn't. It's of a kind with statements like "Since Switch launched, PS4 has sold more units than Nintendo's machine." That's true, but ignores several important factors in order to unfairly downplay Switch performance. You really have to engage with context in these situations.

There is plenty of great stuff to dig into in February's results for pretty much everyone and getting so caught up on this obsession over no 1 doesn't get any of us anywhere in understanding the market results overall.
I'm sure it's very frustrating when people concentrate on topics you feel are uninteresting, and about which it's easy to spin too much analysis from too little data. But I think you have to keep in mind that you're both immensely privileged in this regard. The console hardware numbers are almost the only numeric US data regular forum members ever see--certainly the only complete comparison. As a result, it's the arena where comparative analysis can best operate, so talk naturally gravitates there. Of course console allegiances play a part, but I'm quite sure that if many more software numbers were available, there would be commensurate shifting of discussion to them. (This is true for Japanese sales threads.)

Your irritation with blinkered blue-sky theorizing is very understandable, but it sometimes seems to shade toward unwarranted condescension. What's dumb to you is partly based on knowledge others don't possess. Your occasional snark isn't as petty as, say, rich people mocking poor people for arguing about the best fast-food franchise. But it's still unpleasant to read. I'd ask that you try to be more aware of connotation, and just disengage with the most obstreperous posters. You can tell people they're wrong without implying that their urge to have an opinion was unjustified. That way it's easier for everyone to focus on your positive analytic contributions and corrective guidance, which are very valuable to the community.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
wait, was Xeno2 280k retail right?

Kirby 568k book it. dublin

Kirby wont be as front loaded though. I could see it opening lower than Xeno 2 but hold being way better the next month. Also Xeno 2 launched Dec 1. So that is one full month of tracking. Kirby is middle of the month. Rainbow curse month 2 hold was rather good if I remember correctly.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has 670k units in two months....
I don't think finding people to play with on Xbox is going to be a problem anytime soon
Even tho this could be used to fuel some console war arguments, i would love to know the Ps4 number, too.

35% would put the total at 1.9 million
30% would put the total at 2.2 million

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. More phone calls for me tomorrow. Thanks.
If you're referencing my post, feel free to direct message me and I'd be happy to edit out anything you want. I certainly didn't intend to worsen your day.

EDIT: I did some preemptive pruning based on guesswork. Please believe that I sincerely have no animus toward you. Best wishes.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby wont be as front loaded though. I could see it opening lower than Xeno 2 but hold being way better the next month. Also Xeno 2 launched Dec 1. So that is one full month of tracking. Kirby is middle of the month. Rainbow curse month 2 hold was rather good if I remember correctly.
i was kidding about 500 but I don't think it will be below 300k as per my original guess to be honest even with less time to sell.

but again I don't have a history with kirby

I would think he's referring to John Harker.
harker gave a lot less info than the leak in the prediction thread though...