• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
Its highly appropriate that an analyst whose profession revolves entirely around numbers is obsessed with baseball. There are numbers for literally every imaginable situation, and thats even before the rise of Sabermetrics in the past decade.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll never understand why people feel offended when you talk about you predictions based on real data but what can I do lol

I hope March npd comes fast I need something to read so I can erase shit from my head, I'm going through shit days right now so please npd hurry up and more gaming news Yay <3

I think people just assumed that he was making things up when his hardware prediction turned out incorrect.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy to hear that the hysteria of this being the final generation of home consoles has been so thoroughly, and embarrassingly, debunked. Also, I am happy the naysayers have been proven wrong about MHW. Generally, naysayers being put into place has always been rewarding.

Brandon Drury gets mvp votes.

He may get votes, but my bet is that Smoak puts it together this year. Justin Smoak has always been a + defender, and has always shown flashes of brilliance with the bat. After a productive 2017 he seems to be approaching the plate with more confidence than ever. I think there is a real chance he puts it all together and grabs that MVP trophy. Late bloomers make for great stories...

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with Smoak doing that. Dude has certainly paid his dues. Would be a great story.

And true story on the "last gen of consoles" nonsense. Sad that so many believed it. They lost out on lots and lots of money by not having games ready earlier this cycle.

Its highly appropriate that an analyst whose profession revolves entirely around numbers is obsessed with baseball. There are numbers for literally every imaginable situation, and thats even before the rise of Sabermetrics in the past decade.

Seriously! As a kid I did full leagues of stratomatic baseball back when you had to track everything by hand. I updated stats like avg and era after every game for every player.. by hand. Once the computer versions of games came out I would print out hundreds of pages of stats looking for weird anomalies. This gig is verrrrry similar to that!!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Spider Man game rankings would be very interesting to see. I dont think the guy has had such a good history (at least recently) but I think the newer games got sub par reviews and meh marketing.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Spider Man game rankings would be very interesting to see. I dont think the guy has had such a good history (at least recently) but I think the newer games got sub par reviews and meh marketing.

Yeah I'll get those. People forget that Spider-Man 2 was about as big a hit as existed when it released. Was a massive seller.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like PS4 has the momentum over the next couple months. I think it's anyone's game until September, but all of the big three will do well. Switch will most likely really start to pour it on this fall (when Online/and most likely Smash) and most likely take top selling platform of the year barring a significant price drop from the competition. The degree of Labo's success and whether or not Pokemon releases will also be huge factors.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a very important question. What will be the next Fortnite?

Downside of being a datahead. I have a bit of a blind spot recognizing the next big thing. I can see how a market might be primed for a thing, but when I see a new kind of game I've always had a hard time deciding if it was going to be hot or not. I'd have other people in the org give me their takes and I'd forecast from there.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
From what ive seen (which is a small sample size) Far Cry should easily be #1 and is a toss up between Kirby and MLB for #2 considering Kirby has had supply issues. Stuff like NBA and GTA should be high as well. Sea of Thieves should be out of the top 5 for sure.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not mat, but I don't need to be an industry analyst to see it'll do better than wiiu.
Given what's been happening with similar titles, seems like a safe bet.
True.

Was just curious if maybe the price being higher than the original Wii U release combined with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much new about this particular port (besides Funky) compared to Mario Kart or Pokken would hold it back

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people just assumed that he was making things up when his hardware prediction turned out incorrect.

I've never incorrectly predicted hardware results on Reset

And even if I were to get them "wrong" does Amazon just make up it's results when it differs from the NPD?

This is exactly why I will never provide hardware again :-)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, we can never use Amazon again!

They latch onto the one passing comment I made that I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox took February. When I actually never even made a February hardware prediction. They also leave out the part where I specifically also mentioned Switch not being overly strong compared to Xbox and PlayStation in the exact same thread. But I'm lying ya know. I just make this all up.

Amazon must also be full of people that make stuff up considering they had the lowest selling console as number 1 for the month of February. Maybe its actually one giant conspiracy and WE ALL ARE LIARS!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
They latch onto the one passing comment I made that I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox took February. When I actually never even made a February hardware prediction. They also leave out the part where I specifically also mentioned Switch not being overly strong compared to Xbox and PlayStation in the exact same thread. But I'm lying ya know. I just make this all up.

Amazon must also be full of people that make stuff up considering they had the lowest selling console as number 1 for the month of February. Maybe its actually one giant conspiracy and WE ALL ARE LIARS!

I guess people assume all retailers must have the same order but that shouldn't even be a thought with how close these consoles can be some months.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess people assume all retailers must have the same order but that shouldn't even be a thought with how close these consoles can be some months.

Either way the drama has mostly stopped since I've stopped talking about hardware, so that's about the best thing I could have ever done.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017

Most intelligent people who have been following this believe you, don't let a few bad apples sour your view of the rest of us;)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most intelligent people believe you, don't let a few bad apples sour your view of the rest of us;)

I don't, most people are awesome here that's why I still post. It's just way easier to avoid the drama that comes with hardware.

But let's just move on its all good.

Goal for March 2018 results for me is to avoid responding to all negative comments. Important step for me

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
2018 should be a great year for gaming
giphy.gif

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mostly lurk on these threads because people get way too heated on their console of choice and I don't want to be in the middle of that but I really appreciate your insight and I do hope you ignore those few.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about retail marketing for Labo. I haven't really seen anything online outside of Nintendo's Twitter account and definitely no TV commercials, but some people have been reporting that in-store ads and displays are going up?

It's strange how little marketing overall there has been for it but I guess that might be due to Nintendo's expectations on the sales pattern. I bet they aren't planning on having it be front loaded.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about retail marketing for Labo. I haven't really seen anything online outside of Nintendo's Twitter account and definitely no TV commercials, but some people have been reporting that in-store ads and displays are going up?

It's strange how little marketing overall there has been for it but I guess that might be due to Nintendo's expectations on the sales pattern. I bet they aren't planning on having it be front loaded.
Yeah, that's probably the case. Still, I think it'll start ramping up soon anyway.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Downside of being a datahead. I have a bit of a blind spot recognizing the next big thing. I can see how a market might be primed for a thing, but when I see a new kind of game I've always had a hard time deciding if it was going to be hot or not. I'd have other people in the org give me their takes and I'd forecast from there.

Most of us have this sort of issue too.

The common assumption is always more of the same and to map the past onto the future until something breaks up the paradigms and then becomes the new paradigm. I think it is a product, in our case, of low information and over-applying the limited information we do have, because that is all that is given to our intellect to play with. "Rules" being seen that aren't quite that, because that is where trying to intellectualize our interest leads us. Yeah there is a lot of throwing hands up in the air and admitting ignorance too, but ultimately these assumptions shape the way dialogue flows.

But here you are talking about having a lot of information and still having a similar problem, which makes me think this diagnosis is simplistic.

Makes me wonder how people who can see this sort of thing coming really well can do so; makes it seem independent in some way from information. Which tbh, makes sense given the shape of information.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luck has a lot to do with it. Lots of game execs have a big hit, are deemed to have some kind of special ability, get big promotions, and then can never replicate it.

There are some visionaries, but these folks are the ones making the games, and many of them aren't known publicly.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Labo has a had a big marketing push at Gamestop.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Luck has a lot to do with it. Lots of game execs have a big hit, are deemed to have some kind of special ability, get big promotions, and then can never replicate it.

There are some visionaries, but these folks are the ones making the games, and many of them aren't known publicly.
I think that is an interesting phenomenon that in some sense probably ultimately defies sophisticated attempts to understand even if sophistication in belief production can help us so much, generally speaking, and augments even this phenomenon :P.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
True.

Was just curious if maybe the price being higher than the original Wii U release combined with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much new about this particular port (besides Funky) compared to Mario Kart or Pokken would hold it back
Just wanted to apologize, I'm a little more sober now than when I posted that. I can see how my post might come off as a little snarky (?). Just meant to say that I feel all of the Wiiu ports will do better than the original releases.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that is an interesting phenomenon that in some sense probably ultimately defies sophisticated attempts to understand even if sophistication in belief production can help us so much, generally speaking, and augments even this phenomenon :P.

I'm not smart enough to understand this. Can you dumb it down a bit?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not smart enough to understand this. Can you dumb it down a bit?
I'm just saying that I think, in general, applying scientific, mathematical, logical, etc. rigor to things does have positive results but doesn't necessarily achieve every answer we'd like to know.

As an example: consider all the great results that modern science has achieved despite many things remaining mysterious. I personally think that will always be the case even as we produce more and more great results and that in some sense the fullness of what we are reaching for is outside the grasp of our methods even though they seem to be grasping something, and something that is quite meaningful to our ends.

To bring this back to the case at hand, I'm sure market research helps make products successful, even revolutionary products successful, but at the same time doesn't figure out the shape of every possible successful product.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never incorrectly predicted hardware results on Reset

And even if I were to get them "wrong" does Amazon just make up it's results when it differs from the NPD?

This is exactly why I will never provide hardware again :-)

I'm not saying you were wrong per se. You just based your comment on what data you have.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhhhh... okay cool. Yep. Data doesn't answer everything, and it certainly answers less in video games than many other areas.

I can explain about 35% of the variability in sales between games through use of available quant. That leaves 65% or so that cannot be explained.

We may find more data points that helps get us closer, but I imagine, for the most part, we'll never know what a game will sell until it launches.

A lot of people have tried to automate forecasting, mainly through mulivariate regression of one sort or another. Always fails. You can't quant games.

Those of us that are decent at this kind of gig can take available data and then apply the years of experience and knowledge gathering to make an informed attempt at making a forecast better. Ultimately, we'll still be wrong a lot, but we'll get closer than a computer or a quant from like CPG or something.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying you were wrong per se. You just based your comment on what data you have.
You clearly have not followed Benji's posts closely nor when, where, for what and how often he was attacked by select posters, and so do not know what you are talking about.

When you do not really know a subject closely and it involves other posters (especially helpful ones like Benji that offer valuable insights) it is often better to not write anything than to write your hot take. You only make things worse.

Last edited:

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You clearly have not followed Benji's posts closely nor when, where, for what and how often he was attacked by select posters, and so do not know what you are talking about.

When you do not really know a subject closely and it involves other posters (especially helpful ones like Benji that offer valuable insights) it is often better to not write anything than to write your hot take. You only make things worse.

So, what's the purpose of your condescending post? To make things better?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

Here let me help ya out then. It's dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are the next big thing in games. I'm going to will it into in existence... please... I've been so patient ... T_T

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why we never any comment about PSVR? It would be nice to know how it is doing, maybe tell us every month if it's up MoM or down?