• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Man the twitch metrics for Sea of Thieves this week are rough

PERFORMANCE THIS WEEK

Average viewers last week: 36,386
avg viewers this week 14,797
-21,589 (-59%) from last week

Peak viewers last week: 147,576"m
peak viewers this week 37,315
-110,261 (-75%)from last week

Average number of channels last week: 1,558
Average number of channels this week: 767
-791 (-51%) from last week

60% drop in average viewers and a 75% drop in peak viewers WoW.

That sort of drop off in interest and viewership does not bode well at all for retention on games pass players. I suppose games pass does give it more of an opportunity to gain new users down the road though. But if it can't retain them then I don't really see what the point is.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, if they are saying they are happy with the sales then it would be true, I don't think they can lie publicly like that.
PSVR is only selling decently relative to other VR devices but the entire medium flopped pretty badly.

Sony is not usually one to trumpet public disappointments and making incredibly vague remarks every so often seems par for the course in this scenario.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSVR is only selling decently relative to other VR devices but the entire medium flopped pretty badly.

Sony is not usually one to trumpet public disappointments and making incredibly vague remarks every so often seems par for the course in this scenario.
Meh, they've said several times it's sold above expectations. It's by far the best selling VR. This was never a short term investment for them. They are in VR for the long haul and there are big hints it may be baked into PS5. I'd say it's meeting expectations Sony had.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I think PSVR only sold 2 million ww (since last reported in December) since it launched in late 2016 and is already getting massive discounts.

It's monthly NPD take must be tiny.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
lol no.
Do you hear Sony saying "Yeah, we dropped the ball bad with Vita" or MS saying "Yeah, Kinect 2.0 was a total failure". 99% of the times companies just dont talk publicly about failures.
Did Sony even call the Vita a success? They can't lie since that would be misleading investors.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Sony even call the Vita a success? They can't lie since that would be misleading investors.

They said it was meeting expectations shortly after launch. "Meeting expectations" doesn't mean something is a success though, as expectations can change. When Sony greenlit the NGP (Vita) project, surely their projections were much higher.

I feel if PSVR was a success, we'd probably be seeing more first and third party software announcements. It's a long-term investment though, so I'm sure it's doing alright, all things considered.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much to talk about in regards to PSVR

Outside of a few spikes like around the holidays, it's not really selling (at least in any large meaningful number)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They said it was meeting expectations shortly after launch. "Meeting expectations" doesn't mean something is a success though, as expectations can change. When Sony greenlit the NGP (Vita) project, surely their projections were much higher.
You talking about the Vita or PSVR? Because they have clearly called PSVR a success, also expectations for the VR market is much different than handhelds, you can't compare the two.
I feel if PSVR was a success, we'd probably be seeing more first and third party software announcements. It's a long-term investment though, so I'm sure it's doing alright, all things considered.
Have you seen any of Sony's conferences last year? It's getting a shitton of games, I don't know why people keep repeating this.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You talking about the Vita or PSVR? Because they have clearly called PSVR a success, also expectations for the VR market is much different than handhelds, you can't compare the two.

I'm talking about Vita in the initial portion of my post, because you literally asked if Sony ever called Vita a success and I was answering you.

My broader point though is that "meeting expectations" doesn't necessarily mean something is successful, as expectations can change. PSVR "meeting expectations" at the present time doesn't necessarily imply it's selling well.

Have you seen any of Sony's conferences last year? It's getting a shitton of games, I don't know why people keep repeating this.

How many games have been announced for PSVR by Sony or third parties in 2018? I'm sure there have been a number of reveals, but I'd be surprised it was a large number. That's not to say PSVR isn't worth continued support by Sony, mainly for PS5, but it doesn't appear to be making much of an impact at the present.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sony just had a marketing push for VR in February and they do have a steady stream of games coming out for it so they are definitely still giving it a lot of support.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think PSVR only sold 2 million ww (since last reported in December) since it launched in late 2016 and is already getting massive discounts.

It's a natural process same as yearly drops on console hardware. Generally as time goes on, these things cost less to make and to maintain the same margin you can charge less... opening up potential sales to a wider, more price-sensitive market. Remember the initial teardowns and the estimated cost to produce? Massive profit. You can only sell so many units at those prices. It's not some fire sale or loss-cutting as you're implying with "already" as though it was never going to get cheaper.

But I'm pissing in the wind pointing this out to you as your post history on the subject is hardly objective.

It's monthly NPD take must be tiny.

In relation to what exactly? In relation to console hardware? Of course it is. It's an add-on for a platform that costs more than the initial console spend.

How many games have been announced for PSVR by Sony or third parties in 2018?

What makes you think there's any incentive for them to announce games in January to March right on the back of PSX in December? Game announces will be at E3, same as last year where PSVR got its own section an news was not in short supply, both on the presser night and in the following week.

But you know, PSVR is dooooooooooooooooooooomed!

/goes off to play Wipeout Omega Collection as a direct result of reading these fine opinions.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think there's any incentive for them to announce games in January to March right on the back of PSX in December? Game announces will be at E3, same as last year where PSVR got its own section an news was not in short supply, both on the presser night and in the following week.

But you know, PSVR is dooooooooooooooooooooomed!

/goes off to play Wipeout Omega Collection as a direct result of reading these fine opinions.

Well, I never claimed PSVR is doomed. In fact, I stated that it's clearly a long-term investment for Sony and they should continue pursuing it. I also stated that, based on that fact, it's likely doing alright for itself.

Also, not all games are announced at PSX and E3, by either Sony or third parties. The fact that we aren't seeing a lot of new announcements in 2018 shows me that the platform likely isn't a big commercial success, at least at present. Doesn't mean that will stay the case indefinitely.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, but to expect them in January to March is unrealistic.

Indies and third parties announce projects all the time in this window. I'm sure there have been some VR announcements this year, but they're certainly not making any waves publicly. I expect most of the big reveals at E3 to be VR add-ons for current and upcoming games, like the Wipeout VR expansion you were previously talking about or Resident Evil VII. PSVR currently isn't in a place commercially where it can support a big release on its own.

Oct 25, 2017

That sort of drop off in interest and viewership does not bode well at all for retention on games pass players. I suppose games pass does give it more of an opportunity to gain new users down the road though. But if it can't retain them then I don't really see what the point is.

Isn't the two week free trial for Game Pass also up?

I'm not really seeing how SoT can have good "legs" so to speak from here on out. And it must have been an expensive title to develop as well, so the gamepass scenario most likely hasn't done it any favors.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Makes sense, and that gives us a pretty good indication on how many of the SoT population were on trials.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm impressed by the stunning lack of self awareness in projecting exactly what you're accusing others of. Well done.

Glad you dig the PSVR. That's awesome. A bunch of other people do to. That's all that should matter.

Last edited:

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am unsure how you can truly bury your head in the sand with *any* VR in 2018.

The luster has worn off and rhetoric around it isn't what it used to be, now its one of 'oh that came out?'. We're in definite twilight with dropped engagement.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm talking about Vita in the initial portion of my post, because you literally asked if Sony ever called Vita a success and I was answering you.

My broader point though is that "meeting expectations" doesn't necessarily mean something is successful, as expectations can change. PSVR "meeting expectations" at the present time doesn't necessarily imply it's selling well.[/queue]
I'm sure their expectations were in check since there were already two hind end VR devices on the market that weren't setting the world on fire, as I've said, VR doesn't need to do console numbers to be considered a success, not yet at least.

How many games have been announced for PSVR by Sony or third parties in 2018? I'm sure there have been a number of reveals, but I'd be surprised it was a large number. That's not to say PSVR isn't worth continued support by Sony, mainly for PS5, but it doesn't appear to be making much of an impact at the present.
No idea there, E3 is in a few months and we'll see if there will be a VR section.