• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks to the NPD Group and Mat Piscatella for the breakdown. Note. This NPD report only covers the U.S. Video Games Market.

Here are the numbers for February 2019:
  • Total: $1.047 billion (Up 4% from $1.007 billion in February 2018)
  • Hardware: $277 million (Down 12% from $316 million)
  • PC and console software: $457 million (Up 15% compared to $397 million)
  • Accessories: $313 million (Up 6% from $294 million)

February 2019 tracked spending across video game hardware, software, accessories and game cards totaled $1.0 billion, up 4 percent when compared to a year ago. Gains in software and accessories & game card spending offset declines in hardware.

Year-to-date spending across tracked video game hardware, software, accessories & game cards has increased 3 percent when compared to 2018, to $2.0 billion.

Software

Anthem was the best-selling game of February 2019, and it is now the second best-selling game of 2019. Anthem represents the second highest launch month sales ever recorded for a BioWare developed game, trailing only the March 2012 release of Mass Effect 3.

Jump Force debuted as February's second best-selling game. Launch month sales volume of Jump Force is the third highest total ever achieved for a title published by Bandai Namco Games. Jump Force is currently the fourth best-selling game of 2019 (year to date).

Kingdom Hearts III ranked as the third best-selling game of February, and maintains its number one selling position year to date. Over its first two months in market, Kingdom Hearts III remains the fastest selling game in franchise history, exceeding the time-aligned sales of Kingdom Hearts II by over 80 percent.

Metro: Exodus was the eighth best-selling game of February. Launch month sales of Metro: Exodus set a new franchise record, besting the month-one sales of Metro: Last Light by nearly 50 percent.

Hardware & Accessories

Nintendo generated its highest February month hardware dollar sales since February 2011. The company also reached the highest year-to-date dollar sales for Nintendo-produced hardware since 2011. Nintendo Switch is the best-selling hardware platform of February, and 2019 year to date.

Nintendo gamepad sales increased nearly 80 percent in the month of February, and are now up approximately 90 percent year to date.

Rankings

Top 20 best selling titles (February 2019) - Includes Physical and Digital sales
  1. Anthem^
  2. Jump Force
  3. Kingdom Hearts III
  4. Far Cry New Dawn
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. Resident Evil 2 2019
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  8. Metro: Exodus^
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  11. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. Grand Theft Auto V
  14. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  16. Minecraft#
  17. Super Mario Party*
  18. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  19. Madden NFL 19^
  20. Marvel's Spider-Man
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included
# Minecraft sales include all physical & digital on PlayStation and Xbox platforms

Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)
  1. Kingdom Hearts III
  2. Anthem^
  3. Resident Evil 2 2019
  4. Jump Force
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  8. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Top 10 Xbox One titles (February 2019)
  1. Anthem
  2. Jump Force
  3. Far Cry New Dawn
  4. Red Dead Redemption II
  5. Kingdom Hearts III
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  7. NBA 2K19
  8. Resident Evil 2 2019
  9. Metro: Exodus
  10. Grand Theft Auto V

Top 10 PS4 titles (February 2019)
  1. Anthem
  2. Jump Force
  3. Kingdom Hearts III
  4. Red Dead Redemption II
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Metro: Exodus
  7. Far Cry New Dawn
  8. NBA 2K19
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man

Top 10 Switch titles (February 2019)
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Super Mario Party
  6. Super Mario Odyssey
  7. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  8. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  9. Splatoon 2
  10. Minecraft

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Things looking pretty great for KH3, wow.

Also, I think I'll wait to pass lots of judgement on Anthem's performance as surely they're aiming for strong legs.

Also amazing result for switch considering not lots of February games.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow Smash is still very impressive. Sold seemingly considerably more than NSMBUD this month.

And damn BotW and R6S with them legs.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Grats to Bioware !!
Also Bamco must be very happy with the performance of their anime HD games - regardless of the quality they do numbers.
Nintendo doesn't need games anymore to sell consoles?

joking of course
I know you are joking - but the eShop is a gold mine of great games.

Probably plenty of users that get the must haves like BotW and MK8 and the survive off of eShop releases like FF9 or Baba is You.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Brothers seems to be having quite a good run.

Do fighting games ever chart outside of their launch month?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like there was a point where there was too much to get in feb. Now I look at this and realize I got nothing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

And BotW still charting!

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Crackdown 3 not even in Xbox top 10.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Anthem not beating KHIII LTD is an indication of underperformance. I feel it is with the numbers EA wanted it to sell.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You have to go a really long way down the chart before you find Crackdown 3

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NSMBU Deluxe already out of the top 10...

Wonder how it will sell after the release of Mario Maker 2?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Mass Effect sold around 1.2 million in the first month so Anthem was probably around a million? PapEA isn't going to like that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can't articulate why at this point as I haven't played it and don't have direct context for it, but I'm feeling a sense of unease about Anthem being #1 seller in February.

The thirst for shlooters is strong in this industry, it seems.

By a distant account and observation of feedback to the game, it feels like that game should've crashed and burned sales-wise but #1 February, huh? Alright then. I continue to know nothing about what the audience of this industry actually wants. I can live with that. Keeps making these NPD reports pretty interesting, to say the least.

I also vastly underestimated Kingdom Hearts III, as one of the people that would vocally slam its storytelling. I ended up liking that game a lot despite my dislike of the storytelling, so I am glad to see it doing well -- I just didn't expect it to do THIS well. Congrats to KH3, boo at me for not at all grasping what people enjoy on mass scale. :p