• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes. It's gotta be incredibly encouraging seeing a series that had felt maybe a bit overdrawn at one point back to this kind of performance.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us 2 is going to break this record. IMO. Though we'll see but that would be my bet.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Crazy! Can't imagine it's going to have the legs of a GTA game but still... I think GTA3 was also a sleeper hit that didn't explode right away but not 100% sure....

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's insane how well it did (and keeps on doing), being a mostly linear single player only game.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
To think, for a while I wasn't hyped about the game. Then as it got close to release it all started to set in. It ended up being absolutely phenomenal.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even I find this a bit hard to believe, given the game's springtime release date.

Did Grand Theft Auto Vice City and San Andreas count as "exclusives" at the time of their release? I have to think they would have sold faster given their insane popularity and Christmas release window. Perhaps the videogame market just wasn't as big in 2003/2004.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
All those people who are salty with Sony's Third Person narrative formula can go suck an egg.

Absolutely phenomenal news and a really well deserved success. God of War is the perfect example of what makes Sony first party games great. Everything about the game is absolutely amazing. Can't wait for no.2

Jun 10, 2018
Wow that's pretty amazing especially given the recent success of TLOU and GT having once been the most popular/best-selling IP in their staple.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing.

Will love to see Sony put out a "God of War has sold 10 million units" presser in a couple of weeks.

Huge congrats to corybarlog and the SSM team.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Well deserved, the ending made me tear up and miss my Mom. I hope epic single player games make a comeback.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the numbers are currently?

It reached 5 million in 1 month, so could it have topped 7 million already, for example?

Oct 26, 2017
congrats. and fuck ya!!!
Pzovw.gif

T'EALC GET EM.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Even I find this a bit hard to believe, given the game's springtime release date.

Did Grand Theft Auto Vice City and San Andreas count as "exclusives" at the time of their release? I have to think they would have sold faster given their insane popularity and Christmas release window. Perhaps the videogame market just wasn't as big in 2003/2004.
Marginally smaller. Just over 60m on 2003 vs just over 70m for PS4.

So no it's not hard to believe. It's a phenomenal game that deserves all the success it gets.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I did not think God of War of all games would achieve this, I wonder how it got sold so well to the public not reading reviews and visiting hype threads on forums.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
SSM needed this win after Acension and their new IP getting shut down. So happy for them.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Amazing. So faster than Final Fantasy 7, The Last of Us, or GTA3. That's mind blowing.

FF was a relatively lesser known brand back then. It did well, debut-wise, but it needed some time to sell a lot. Also, the market was much smaller in 1997.

Similar reasoning for GTA. GTA was a popular IP but the franchise exploded thanks to legs.

TLOU was a new IP.