• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see all consoles doing well overall. Great for the industry.

Looking at some 3rd Party sales on Switch it's nice to see Skyrim (and Doom to a lesser extent) showing legs and even topping a couple first party games (and Mario Rabbids). Will be interesting to see how they continue to perform moving forward.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Forgot to mention,
Monster Hunter World did damn GOOD on both consoles.

I was glad to do my part helping Monster Hunter World.

xSY6lZB.jpg

Congrats, Capcom, well done.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic month. Dragon Ball Xenoverse back in the top 20 thanks to FighterZ.

Each console did very well. 3DS won't die just yet, Xbox One had it's best January yet and Switch, PS4, and XB1 all very close to each other in revenue and apparently unit sales. Along with the fact we have a January that sold over 1 Million hardware units.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Overall list:

Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8

Nintendo Switch list:

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Seems to suggest the Wii U version of BotW still has some fight in it.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Switch must've done really well in unit sales if the revenue gap was that small, given that the Pro and X are $100+ more than it.
Most PS4 and XBO consoles sold will be the base versions though, which are cheaper than Switch. Although we know that Switch just beat PS4 on units it must have been close.
I think the order in revenue is PS4, Switch then X1.
Yes, that's correct my mistake.

Oct 27, 2017
We live in a time where the best selling games of the month are Monster Hunter and an Arcsys fighting game, wow.

On that note, a different type of wow for Dissidia, those sales...
There's a good game lying underneath the fact it has barely any content, I hope they update the offline content.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so it is Xenoverse 1 and not 2 that charted? That seems bizarre.

And surprised to see Switch at no 1 hardware sold. I thought it wouldn't take a top spot without any major title released.

MHW being no 1 at both Xbox and PS4 SW chart is also surprising.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG is outselling Call of Duty on Xbox. Is that measured by revenue or units sold?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Congrats to Capcom, ARCSYS and Nintendo. Put out quality content and audiences will buy.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Great numbers for PUBG, nice.
Also glad to see MHW and DBZ performing well.
I'm surprised that Nintendo outsold X1 and PS4 despite the killing software they had.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
3DS selling so well late on its life is so good, and people were certain handhelds would be dead at the start of the gen.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo being the best selling hardware in January despite the one-two knock out combo of MonHun World and DBZF is pretty nuts to me. Seems clear to me that Switch is here to stay and ain't slowing down momentum anytime soon. Also great to see the MonHun gamble pay off and have Capcom back in form, and for ArcSys' talents to finally be recognized.

Tbf PS4 and Xbox are at the mature part of the life cycle at this point. New releases should not really be big drivers (drivers they are, i bought a PS4 for MH - but not for month to month spikes).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one knew MHW was going to be a hit. There was no hype. That Switch is #1 doesn't have to be a surprise to you.

It's crazy all the statements people make just to squeeze in a line about Switch.
That's not really true though is it? The beta amassed a truckload of Twitch viewers and Sony were most definitely marketing it hardcore. This game was a huge deal for them.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People are not going to buy Xboxes and Playstations just for MHW. The Switch is also still the hottest system atm. It's no surprise really.

They all basically sold near the same, it was a surprise for me. i think xbox is giving ps4 good competition, with the X, and great S deals, that's why ps4 couldn't end up at # 1.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sounds like a great month for the industry; everyone performed well. Even the 3DS saw its best January since 2013.

Monster Hunter: World is a force to be reckoned with.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Fantastic month. Dragon Ball Xenoverse back in the top 20 thanks to FighterZ.

Each console did very well. 3DS won't die just yet, Xbox One had it's best January yet and Switch, PS4, and XB1 all very close to each other in revenue and apparently unit sales. Along with the fact we have a January that sold over 1 Million hardware units.

super nes mini, and 3ds included right?

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Regular PS4/1S is as cheap or cheaper than Switch, and PS4 Pro / 1X are pretty niche options, so this must mean sales were REALLY close.

Eg : 160k Switch, 140k PS4, 15k Pro = 160 v 155, but ever so slightly more revenue on PS4 family.

Probably a pretty rare scenario I would think, unless this includes accessories which are a complete wildcard. Obviously PSVR, although also niche, is $$$, so even 20kish would really add up fast in rev.

Anyone know what all is and isn't included in HW revenue? Docks? Controllers?

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some nice numbers for Monster Hunter, the world finally understands. also, I imagine MK8 and Zelda must have had REALLY close sales considering on the top 10 Zelda is over MK8 but on the Switch only chart MK8 is over Zelda, meaning the Wii U version alone must've bumped Zelda enough and I can't imagine the Wii U version sells much at all anymore.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
No one knew MHW was going to be a hit. There was no hype. That Switch is #1 doesn't have to be a surprise to you.

It's crazy all the statements people make just to squeeze in a line about Switch.
This is bs
It was obvious MHW was going to be a huge hit. A ton of gaming channels streamed or did let's plays of the beta and were giving positive impressions. Also, there were commercials for it all the time on TV. The hype was there.
The stuff about the Switch, whatever, I don't care.

How come Zelda is above Mario over last 12 months? Thar would mean lots of Mario sales have been digital compared with Zelda.

Don't forget that many people got Mario Odyssey and their Switch through the Mario Odyssey Switch bundle. Bundles aren't included in the chart

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Good stuff, all around.

Sorry Square Enix and Team Ninja. But y'all knew that game could have used a) more content and b) NOT being released near two other powerhouses that had MUCH more hype and word of mouth driving them.