• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
No Nintendo Console delivered a billion software sales? That´s surprising since Ps2 sold like 1.6 billion copies of software.

i thought Wii would be closer or even DS.

Anyone knows how much SW Ps1 or Ps3 sold? i know 360 was a monster SW wise so it probably hit the billion mark.
PS3 total software sales were around 745 million units as March 2013.
PSP total software sales were 330.2 million units as March 2012.
PS2 total software sales were 1530.0 million units as March 2012.
PS1 total software sales were 959.0 million units as March 2005.

You need to realize that how Nintendo and Sony conduct their console business is essentially different.
On comparatively same successful consoles from Nintendo and Sony, I would not expect the total software sales (to be precise the third-party sales) to be on the same level nor I would expect the first-party total sales to be on the same level.

EDIT:
Of course I'm talking in general and keeping in mind factors such as the historical difference in tie ration between home console and handheld console.

EDIT2:
Note that until 2006 Sony cited only production shipments instead of recorded sales shipments.

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Because there's a clear difference between the current state of dedicated consoles and dedicated handhelds. One is thriving, the other is basically done once the 3DS stops selling, and the 3DS, despite its success, still declined roughly 50% from its predecessor. Rather than creating a dedicated handheld successor like they've been doing since the original Gameboy (which probably would have declined even further), Nintendo decided to switch things up (har har har)

The Vita declined so much from the PSP that Sony left the handheld business entirely.

The PS4 is nearing PS3 lifetime shipments, and I believe the XBO is still tracking ahead of the 360 in the US. But I might be wrong about that. And thanks to all the online subscriptions and GaaS, the market is also more profitable than ever.

both dedicated portable and dedicated stationary console market is in decline. Yes PS4 is looking to sell more than PS3 but Xbox One is posed to sell 20-30 million less than the 360. Wii U flopped and Nintendo left the dedicated console market as well as Sony left the portable market.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
both dedicated portable and dedicated console market is in decline. Yes PS4 is looking to sell more than PS3 but Xbox One is posed to sell 20-30 million less than the 360. Wii U flopped and Nintendo left the dedicated console market as well as Sony left the portable market.

Switch is a dedicated console...

Dedicated console means it's a closed-platform computer who's primary purpose is playing video games.

Kinda rich given they will years latter go on to release the "Vita".

Vita is the best handheld ever made. Still. I don't care what the sales numbers say.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MatPiscatella if you get the chance to respond, I would greatly appreciate your input on the Wii U and the PS Vita (in the context of the discussion that was being had about factors that lead to successful launches for a game system); specifically, given that both systems seemed to be priced reasonably well, and had reasonably good launch lineups, what exactly was the reason for both faltering at retail in your opinion? For the Vita, I can assume that Sony not pushing its own weight behind the system (as Nintendo did with the 3DS once the 3DS flailed out of the game) may have been a contributing factor; with the Wii U, at least, it took until the end of 2014 before it became apparent Nintendo might be washing its hands off the system, and starting late 2013 through to the end of 2014, at least, Nintendo did release multiple big games for it with proper marketing pushes, and there was decent sentiment for the system amongst the press, at least.

So what killed these two systems so badly? It's especially puzzling because of how well Sony and Nintendo have rallied with PS4 and Switch respectively. I have my own ideas, but I'd love to hear what you have to say about this, since your insight is far more informed than mine.

Wii U is just really unappealing hardware with poor branding. It cost too much in 2012 and it never got a real price cut. The first couple years didn't have any really broadly appealing games outside NSMBU and that franchise had just had its worst entry released just months before the Wii U launched.

Vita was too expensive with the required memory card and didn't have the strength of first party titles that Nintendo did with the 3DS.

Even so, the 3DS struggled until the price cut + XL revision.

Sony just never had anything like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, etc. Uncharted GA was a weak effort and the Killzone brand was never going to sell a handheld.

The last big marketing push Sony did for Vita was the Borderlands 2 bundle and that was a garbage port of an old game.

Personally, I think their whole strategy was wrong from the start.

I know I meant stationary
That's an odd distinction to make, you can pretend like the Switch doesn't have a screen of you want.

I consider the Switch to be directly competing with the PS4 and XB1 and not the 3DS or Vita.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Sony had 10 years in the market and failed to make a game sell as well as Fire Emblem is a problem itself.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wii U is just really unappealing hardware with poor branding. It cost too much in 2012 and it never got a real price cut. The first couple years didn't have any really broadly appealing games outside NSMBU and that franchise had just had its worst entry released just months before the Wii U launched.

Vita was too expensive with the required memory card and didn't have the strength of first party titles that Nintendo did with the 3DS.

Even so, the 3DS struggled until the price cut + XL revision.

Sony just never had anything like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, etc. Uncharted GA was a weak effort and the Killzone brand was never going to sell a handheld.

The last big marketing push Sony did for Vita was the Borderlands 2 bundle and that was a garbage port of an old game.

Personally, I think their whole strategy was wrong from the start.

That's an odd distinction to make, you can pretend like the Switch doesn't have a screen of you want.

I consider the Switch to be directly competing with the PS4 and XB1 and not the 3DS or Vita.

I see Switch as a dedicated handheld and while it's true it's competing against PS4 and the Xbone it's because of its hybrid nature

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see Switch as a dedicated handheld and while it's true it's competing against PS4 and the Xbone it's because of its hybrid nature

If Switch was a dedicated handheld the games would target and be optimized for handheld mode rather than making concessions undocked.

It's a TV console with a built-in screen. Even the buttons are detachable.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
If Switch was a dedicated handheld the games would target and be optimized for handheld mode rather than making concessions undocked.

It's a TV console with a built-in screen. Even the buttons are detachable.

You can say that about all other games not being optimised on hardware X while it is on hardware Y

I see it as a handheld with TV out and it's the same analogy as a laptop
But let's just agree to disagree ok?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch is a hybrid, it ideally serves both markets (tv consoles, handheld consoles). Nintendo also has another active dedicated handheld console (3DS) and has left the dedicated tv console market after their last one (Wii U).

I'd agree Switch has more served the tv console market so far in terms of software support and branding in the west (ie: console you can take with you) but that will change more in the coming years with the software support planned as more and more traditionally handheld Japanese franchises move over (Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, SMT, Ace Attorney, Inazuma Eleven, etc)

PSP total software sales were 330.2 million units as March 2012.
It will never cease to amaze me how much piracy destroyed the software sales on the PSP. You could get a calendar and chart the exact point when the trend first started going downward and never returned. And even with the R4 being as rampant as it was on the DS, that system still managed a whole two games more in tie ratio compared to the PSP.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but the best selling console can be played as a dedicated handheld. That's pretty notable.

You mean the one that also has a home console counterpart. Like I said, its telling that even Nintendo did not make a dedicated handheld only console.

It may have kickstarted some of these other elements but a home console MH that looked and played like the handheld games, with a similar staggered release and AA promitional campaign, more likely would've sold similarly to them in the west (1-2m). Platform shift isn't the only element here and a platform shift alone probably wouldn't have moved the needle much everything else being equal.

Kickstarted is putting it lightly:

1) AAA marketing -> Sony assisted, result from being on PS4
2) Graphics leap -> direct result of being on a next gen console
3) Online functionality -> direct result from being on consoles with massive online audiences and networks
4) New audience -> direct result from appealing to the home console audience
5) Social media -> direct result from being on popular streaming platforms

Spare me the made up scenarios. We all saw how that turned out with MHW.

both dedicated portable and dedicated stationary console market is in decline.

The point being one is in far worse of a state, while the other is probably making more money than ever, with a hardware total that isn't too far from prior generation

PS2+XB+GC = roughly 200 million
PS3+360+Wii = roughly 280 million
PS4+XB1+WiiU = approximately 170-180 million

DS+PSP = 250 million
3DS + Vita = roughly 90 million

Sony not investing in a new handheld.
Nintendo no longer making a sole handheld device.

This isn't even accounting for the vastly better software sales home consoles have, the money they generate to the publishers as a result and the massive online networks they are able to build which can then be monetised.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It will never cease to amaze me how much piracy destroyed the software sales on the PSP. You could get a calendar and chart the exact point when the trend first started going downward and never returned. And even with the R4 being as rampant as it was on the DS, that system still managed a whole two games more in tie ratio compared to the PSP.
PSP software sales were overall fine.
PSP tie ratio was 4.33 as March 2012 which is more or less in line with other past handheld consoles (slightly higher than GB and slightly lower than GBA).

It's Nintendo DS that had a notably higher than usual (for handheld consoles) tie ratio.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You mean the one that also has a home console counterpart. Like I said, its telling that even Nintendo did not make a dedicated handheld only console.
Their dedicated handheld is still selling, in fact it's selling better than last year. What's actually telling is they've abandoned dedicated tv consoles.

Kickstarted is putting it lightly:

1) AAA marketing -> Sony assisted, result from being on PS4
2) Graphics leap -> direct result of being on a next gen console
3) Online functionality -> direct result from being on consoles with massive online audiences and networks
4) New audience -> direct result from appealing to the home console audience
5) Social media -> direct result from being on popular streaming platforms

Spare me the made up scenarios. We all saw how that turned out with MHW.
Sony's assistance seems largely centered on Asia, where they bought exclusivity. Capcom sinking this kind of capital and investment into Monster Hunter themselves is the big differentiator from the PSP and 3DS entries, and it paid off handsomely. They basically threw Resident Evil level cash at it.

The point being one is in far worse of a state, while the other is probably making more money than ever, with a hardware total that isn't too far from prior generation

PS2+XB+GC = roughly 200 million
PS3+360+Wii = roughly 280 million
PS4+XB1+WiiU = approximately 170-180 million

DS+PSP = 250 million
3DS + Vita = roughly 90 million

Sony not investing in a new handheld.
Nintendo no longer making a sole handheld device.

This isn't even accounting for the vastly better software sales home consoles have, the money they generate to the publishers as a result and the massive online networks they are able to build which can then be monetised.
Some of your numbers are a little off. PSP wasn't near ~95m for example and 3DS+Vita would already be 82-87m as of last year.

Consoles contracting behind Gen 6 isn't great either (handhelds haven't at least, they're bigger than any generation except 7) and you left out one too (Dreamcast).

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
the question if switch is a handheld or a tv console is completely irrelevant.
above all it is a socio-political statement and a direct reaction of the declining birth rate in western countries, foremost japan.
the ongoing erosion of the male dominance in higher educated social classes and the complete loss of the natural authority led to insecurity, frustration and unwillingness to couple and reproduce. scientists agree that not only a symptom, but even so a decisive reason was the loss of discretionary power over the tv remote and therefore the modern campfire. Young male, even if they are oh so sensitive, caring and metrosexual were not able to cope with this final humiliation.
the switch is a direct reaction to this and might prevent humanity from extinction, save relationships and enable the coexistence of soap operas and games on the same sofa until she finally gets tired, buggers off and the tv is free to be switched.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is a hybrid because the Wii U flopped, and the 3DS didn't.

It being spun as Nintendo leaving the portable market is laughable.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How come no one has said "fad" yet? That would really take this Switch is a portable no a console no a who cares it doesn't matter to the next level.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
How come no one has said "fad" yet? That would really take this Switch is a portable no a console no a who cares it doesn't matter to the next level.
Wait about four years when (hypothetical) the sales of the Switch slow down and people come out of the woodwork with facts about past Nintendo hardware sales.

I'm only half serious here right now

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also just a heads up, PS3+Xbox 360+Wii would add up to 260 million in sales and not 280 million unless I've missed something and we got 20 million units in sales out of thin air somewhere.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Also just a heads up, PS3+Xbox 360+Wii would add up to 260 million in sales and not 280 million unless I've missed something and we got 20 million units in sales out of thin air somewhere.

That's not "out of thin air somewhere" , both 360 and PS3 sold 80 million a loooooong time ago, actually, before XB1/PS4 launch.

We have no confirmed numbers, but the correct range for both is 85-90 million.

So yes, 270-280 million is correct, not 260 million.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not "out of thin air somewhere" , both 360 and PS3 sold 80 million a loooooong time ago, actually, before XB1/PS4 launch.

We have no confirmed numbers, but the correct range for both is 85-90 million.

So yes, 270-280 million is correct, not 260 million.
We have no official numbers. Anything is just conjecture. I'm personally unwilling to believe that X360+PS3 sold 20 million years after 2013, given how sharply sales for both declined right after their successors launched.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
We have no official numbers. Anything is just conjecture. I'm personally unwilling to believe that X360+PS3 sold 20 million years after 2013, given how sharply sales for both declined right after their successors launched.
Xbox 360 was at 84M in June 2014. Both PS3 and 369 are past 85M by now, but neither probably passed 90M

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Yes we have. 360 was at 84 million back in June 2014, since that, Microsoft shipped 12 million XBOX between July 2014 and June 2015, and there is NO WAY that of those 12 million , 11 million or more comes from the XB1. For a comparation, PS4 shipped 15.1 million, XB1 can't be so close.

About PS3, it surpassed 80 million in November 2013, and from January 2014 to March 2016, Sony shipped 3.8 million PS3, withouth counting December 2013 and part of November 2013.

In conclusion: both did easy over 85 million.

That sounds about right (and fairly reasonable).

...Which is literally what i said, lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes we have. 360 was at 84 million back in June 2014, since that, Microsoft shipped 13 million XBOX between July 2014 and June 2015, and there is NO WAY that of those 13 million , 12 million or more comes from the XB1. For a comparation, PS4 shipped 15.1 million, XB1 can't be so close.

About PS3, it surpassed 80 million in November 2013, and from January 2014 to March 2016, Sony shipped 3.8 million PS3, withouth counting December 2013 and part of November 2013.

In conclusion: both did easy over 85 million.
That's still a total of 270 million, which is a whopping 10 million fewer than Psycho_Mantis' estimate of 280 million.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I would estimate Xbox 360 and PS3 over 88M each but not much more above that as a final LTD.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

They are too busy arguing about how MHW's breakout success in the worldwide market isn't due to the actual game, its improvements or the platforms it is on. Because you know every success or failure an be explained by a single factor and is perfectly transferrable across markets and ecosystems.

This dance is never going to end is it?

Well there are some folk who are saying that the Switch's sales will slow down this year so that would be implying it's a fad. Does that count? :P

I mean its natural to predict sales might slow. It all depends on whether or not the Switch is appealing to a broader market than the Nintendo core base. All signs point to a resounding yes on that front but it remains to be seen for certain. Not to mention prolonged sales depend on continued software support and numerous other factors. So no saying you think sales might slow is not the same as calling it a fad. The former is a (likely to be proven incorrect) prediction in the realm of possibility and the latter is utter absurdity without cause or reason behind it.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
That's still a total of 270 million, which is a whopping 10 million fewer than Psycho_Mantis' estimate of 280 million.

You seem to not understand the point.

270-280m is the actual range we have for gen 7, Psyco may have used the highest end, should have specifical that it may be lower, but honestly who really cares?

And, if you really want my opinion, gen 7 is probabily closer to 280m than 270m.

Like i said, MS shipped 12 million XBOX after the last official number for the 360, and i can't see XB1 being even close to that when in the same time PS4 did 15.1m.
Is very likely that 360 did something like ~88 million in the end, and PS3 something like that or a bit worse.
Then there is Wii at 101.5m, not 100m.

I mean, to me seem so pointless talk about this, but you really want then yes, to me 280m seem more likely than 270m. And we are also just speculating, like, who cares...

270-280m, that's the range.

Last edited:

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of legacy consoles, any chance the platform holder and NPD would be fine with revealing some final accurate sales data? MatPiscatella
That's more like history now and no corporate secret, worth keeping hidden, anymore.

But maybe i'm asking for to much here :)

Oct 26, 2017
I mean its natural to predict sales might slow. It all depends on whether or not the Switch is appealing to a broader market than the Nintendo core base. All signs point to a resounding yes on that front but it remains to be seen for certain. Not to mention prolonged sales depend on continued software support and numerous other factors. So no saying you think sales might slow is not the same as calling it a fad. The former is a (likely to be proven incorrect) prediction in the realm of possibility and the latter is utter absurdity without cause or reason behind it.
Except we have people saying that sales will slow down this year, 2018, which makes no sense, as hardly any successful system out there slows down in their second year. It's usually in their 4th year or so when they begin to slow down. Of course sales will eventually slow down but saying it'll happen just after it's first year doesn't have any basis in logic

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Except we have people saying that sales will slow down this year, 2018, which makes no sense, as hardly any successful system out there slows down in their second year. It's usually in their 4th year or so when they begin to slow down. Of course sales will eventually slow down but saying it'll happen just after it's first year doesn't have any basis in logic

Expecially when there was no pricedrop in the first year, and also stock problems.

Expect Switch to slow down in 2018 is Wishful thinking.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to not understand the point.

270-280m is the actual range we have for gen 7, Psyco may have used the highest end, should have specifical that it may be lower, but honestly who really cares?

And, if you really want my opinion, gen 7 is probabily closer to 280m than 270m.

Like i said, MS shipped 12 million XBOX after the last official number for the 360, and i can't see XB1 being even close to that when in the same time PS4 did 15.1m.
Is very likely that 360 did something like ~88 million in the end, and PS3 something like that or a bit worse.
Then there is Wii at 101.5m, not 100m.

I mean, to me seem so pointless talk about this, but you really want then yes, to me 280m seem more likely than 270m. And we are also just speculating, like, who cares...

270-280m, that's the range.
I mean, alright, let's go with 280 million then. It just bothers me we are not using official numbers lol.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No, because Wii sold 10 million in 2008, not 7 million. ;) No one expect Switch to sell 10 million this year.

Point still stands, we haven't seen a regular month where it was much higher then ps4/xbox normal months, once that happens i could at least see where they are coming from.

Oh in NPD. Hmm...Well I don't know if the Switch will be hitting those numbers this year but that's far more likely than the Switch peaking in year one

I think it more likely it remains flat then hit 7 million, PS4 i think IIRC was flat in it's second year in NPD.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Was it? I thought normally a systems's second year is a decent amount greater than their first one. I don't exactly remember the PS4's NPD sales

PS4 was up YOY by 23% in USA the second year, XB1 was up by 13%, and it god 2 massive pricedrops and a lot of insane bundles.
Even Wii U was up by like 25% or so the second year, the only recent system i rememb being down compated to the first year is 3DS, which had a massive pricedrop and a weak lineup in 2012, and PSVita, which, well... Was just left to die.

IIRC they were close. Rying should have the data, but it was around 200k over

PS4 sales:

2014 - 4.68m
2015 - 5.73m

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC they were close. Rying should have the data, but it was around 200k over
Well, going off of what Ryng has posted, it was more significant increase

PS4 was up YOY by 23% in USA the second year, XB1 was up by 13%, and it god 2 massive pricedrops and a lot of insane bundles.

Even Wii U was up by like 25% or so the second year, the only recent system i rememb being down compated to the first year is 3DS, which had a massive pricedrop and a weak lineup in 2012, and PSVita, which, well... Was just left to die.
Yeah, that's about what I thought. Thank you