• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Quite shocked at the Switch still being number one hardware wise next to two huge games on the PS4. Also glad to see MHW up there at the top followed the series forever and im glad its getting it's time in the sun now.

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Monster Hunter Worlds opening was so big it's already the best selling one I think.

I'll have to check the actual comparisons later.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3DS sales have to be surprising Nintendo. Who knew 7 years after release with a hot new platform released the device would still keep selling.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Xbox One's best January, congrats. Likely the X doing well. What was the previous best?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, MHW and FighterZ cleaned up.

Switch fever ain't stopping yet either. It's been a hell of a January.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been noticing MH: World has been overperforming on Xbox One in comparison to what I was suspecting ever since launch. Kinda refreshing seeing a Japanese game do so well on the console.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will throw some dev support at it given its stellar performance. Maybe some quick cash in ds ports?
I wouldn't bet on it. 3DS hardware sales are strong because the system is so cheap and has seven years worth of an amazing library, so it's easy for people to jump in.

It's software, on the other hand, isn't really lighting up the charts. I think Samus Returns was the last game that even charted on NPD, aside from obvious USUM

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised Monhun did so well on playstation, I bought it and never even played it. That hype fever got me.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
ASW's niche status was never going to be an issue as long as the game was good and got the proper marketing.

It was seen as a return to "proper fighting games" after all the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast/Xenoverse games.

The last 2D console DBZ fighting game was what, Burst Limit? 10 years ago.

Plus some other things helped, like Super being an ongoing series and Mahvel failing hard. Oh, and DBFighterZ being simple to pick up helps a ton, too.

Regardless, I'm glad the game is doing well and hopefully it will get support for a long time.
Yep. Loved the Budokai games.
Looking forward to get this once it's a bit cheaper. Seeing how well it does, I'm sure people will still be around by then for online play.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
3DS sales have to be surprising Nintendo. Who knew 7 years after release with a hot new platform released the device would still keep selling.

I mean, they have continually stated their intent to produce and support the system. It's mostly folks like us who saw its decline as inevitable in light of the Switch. Except well, a Switch is still pricey while the 3DS has a phenomenal library of games to pick up. They are gonna stretch it out as long as is feasible.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I can't agree with this. Well, I guess I should ask you to qualify what "a ton" is. I mean, there might not be 100 (or there might be for all I know), but I'd say the 50-75 out is pretty solid for a system that's not even been out a year.

By "there aren't a ton of Switch games at retail," I mean many of Switch's best-selling third-party titles aren't available at retail, and thus aren't ever going to have a shot at an NPD top 10.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will throw some dev support at it given its stellar performance. Maybe some quick cash in ds ports?

Metroid Prime Hunters with renewed online plz
And Custom Robo DS
And Advance Wars DS

I can see the argument for Spider-Man to push systems, but I feel like anyone that wants GoW already has a PS4, and SotC for damn sure is like that.

Spiderman will definitely push systems if Sony and Marvel give it the proper marketing.

God of War might make a small bump.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
3ds sales still keeping up doesn't mean Nintendo is going to throw some big games on there. DS sales were still going strong when they went all in on the 3ds.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't bet on it. 3DS hardware sales are strong because the system is so cheap and has seven years worth of an amazing library, so it's easy for people to jump in.

It's software, on the other hand, isn't really lighting up the charts. I think Samus Returns was the last game that even chatted on NPD?

Pokemon says hi ^^

But yeah I agree the 3DS doesnt need additional games, its library is already attractive but its active userbase is mainly gone.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
  • Total: $1.096 billion (up 59 percent from $690 million in January 2017)
  • Hardware: $278 million (up 119 percent from $127 million)
  • PC and console software: $517 million (up 51 percent from $343 million)
  • Accessories: $301 million (up 37 percent from $220 million)
This is very good

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What a great month all around. DBZ and MHW hitting the top of the charts is amazing. PUBG #4 overall without PC and at $30 shows how much people want it on console.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's software, on the other hand, isn't really lighting up the charts. I think Samus Returns was the last game that even chatted on NPD?
Pokémon had to chart, right? But yeah, you're right. Software isn't really moving. It's quite the anomaly.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Say that Monster Hunter would be..

- revealed at E3
- released to modern consoles
- released for WW simulateniously
- breaking sales record of the series
- topping the NPD chart for first month

.. like beginning of 2017, and no one would believe you :D

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, they have continually stated their intent to produce and support the system. It's mostly folks like us who saw its decline as inevitable in light of the Switch. Except well, a Switch is still pricey while the 3DS has a phenomenal library of games to pick up. They are gonna stretch it out as long as is feasible.
But at the same time where are the new games? Nintendo can say all they want that they will continue to support the system but there are no new games on the horizon.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Just to give a slight reference, this means the game generated revenues of over $40 million.
We know the average selling price is way over 60 thanks to all those deluxe editions and collectors, but even if we go 'crazy' and put an asp of ~80$ the opening is over 500k units. The lower the asp, the bigger the number gets.

And then MHW is even higher, and surely with a lower asp because the deluxe edition was 70$ and I don't think the collector's was huge enough to make a difference, so I'd put MHW at >600k as the lower end of the estimation.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that SFV:AE didn't chart on even PS4's top 10, let alone the overall top 20. I guess even one of their wildest successes in recent memory had to come with one little downer.
I'm not surprised. There was no push for it. Capcom didn't even put any effort on its Amazon store page.

Maybe the goodwill they have accrued among some fans now will help for when SF6 rolls along(if they don't fuck it up again).

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe SotC maybe not. I can see GOW selling to a lot of lapsed gamers (it's playing at NBA games) and Xbox owners.
Really don't see a niche title like sotc moving consoles. And not really gow either. It's a much tamer Kratos and it's a narrative driven game. Ppl interested in that time of game already have a PS4 due to tlou or horizon or uncharted. If it was more dude bro like former gow games it would attract a different audience. An audience that may not yet own a ps4