• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Era sales threads in nutshell:

kEXlocD.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As long as Switch continues to only get third party AA games and ports of last gen games, nothing will change.

Nobody involved seems to mind, though.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Switch top 10
1 Nintendo
2 Nintendo
3 Nintendo
4 Nintendo
5 Nintendo
6 Nintendo
7 Nintendo
8 Nintendo
9 Nintendo
10 Bandai Namco

LMAO Seems like the Switch audience doesn't care much about anything but Nintendo games.
Or maybe there aren't any big third party games that sell comparably to big Nintendo games on the Switch in the first place

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Switch top 10
1 Nintendo
2 Nintendo
3 Nintendo
4 Nintendo
5 Nintendo
6 Nintendo
7 Nintendo
8 Nintendo
9 Nintendo
10 Bandai Namco

LMAO Seems like the Switch audience doesn't care much about anything but Nintendo games.
Let's take a moment to think about this: what game should be there that isn't? Third parties aren't charting because they haven't brought anything worth a bit to the system. The conclusion that the Switch audience doesn't care about third party games is a wrong conclusion to draw from this.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Call of Duty, and Red Dead Redemption 2 really got shafted by Switch owners.
They are not there for this reason... it's the same for any generation of Nintendo console. I'm surprised people are still expecting big third-party games on a Nintendo console with such a bad track record...

RezVr2

Oct 27, 2017
That top 10 list would look practically the same if Nintendo made games exclusive to the PS4.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
That's hilarious? Do you really think Switch people are "starving" again? And you are surprised that one of the best selling game series of all time has high sales?

There are many releases from third parties in the coming month, like Mortal Kombat 11, Dragons Dogma, Hellblade, Darksiders, Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, Team Sonic Racing, Assassin's Creed 3. And a bunch of new games that released just recently, and many new eShop games every week.

People that only play Nintendo games have "only" two games until may. But honestly who does that? At least they are better of than people that only play Sony or Microsoft games...

It's just that people with a Switch buy many, many games.

Wow, you invented quite a number of strawmen to argue with yourself against. That is quite impressive! I would add some arguments of my own, but honestly, you're doing great without me.

Last edited:

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
You're not presenting any honest arguments in this thread.
9/10 being Nintendo is a fact. That being a fact for almost every Nintendo console ever released isn't an honest argument?

Ok. It's just great that great third-party games stop selling while old ports from Nintendo do keep on selling. Is that a good sign?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9/10 being Nintendo is a fact. That being a fact for almost every Nintendo console ever released isn't an honest argument?

Ok. It's just great that great third-party games stop selling while old ports from Nintendo do keep on selling. Is that a good sign?

You're feigning surprise that non-existent third party ports aren't charting on Switch, then shifting the conversation to give reasoning as to why said games don't get ported to begin with when you're presented with this information. Yet still feign surprise that said non-existent ports aren't selling. It's fairly transparent.

There's an actual conversation to be had about the state of third party on Switch, but you aren't all that interested in having it.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe third parties should start making better games than Nintendo

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
People have been waiting for over a decade, why are people so surprised KH3 is selling well. Its a really popular IP

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

What great third party games should be selling on the Switch? The only notable one this month made it onto the list.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So basically Playstation and Xbox are in full decline (based on apparent major declines overall and of individual platforms besides the much younger Switch). The mid gen hardware refreshes did not stave off the inevitable...

Also sea of thieves higher on the Xbox chart (#6) than Spiderman on the Ps4 chart (#7) (granted Spider Man surely has many more overall sales). Given the game has also had a lot of staying power on twitch, I think SOT should be acknowledged more as a genuine success.

Also we did not get any wild pork this month? I guess like me he forgot about NPD this month lol.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
What great third party games should be selling on the Switch? The only notable one this month made it onto the list.
Yeah I'm really confused by this discussion. The most recent "big" 3rd party retail releases for the Switch are Diablo 3 and Civilization 6, back in November. Since then the only other notable 3rd party retail games are Monster Boy, and now Vesperia. That is the current state of 3rd party support at retail, of which we know all of those games have done well. I don't understand the posts regarding Switch 3rd party support, we know the device sells games, the support just isn't there in terms of bigger releases.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What third party games launched on Switch?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really confused by this discussion. The most recent "big" 3rd party retail releases for the Switch are Diablo 3 and Civilization 6, back in November. Since then the only other notable 3rd party retail games are Monster Boy, and now Vesperia. That is the current state of 3rd party support at retail, of which we know all of those games have done well. I don't understand the posts regarding Switch 3rd party support, we know the device sells games, the support just isn't there in terms of bigger releases.
And both Diablo and Civilization did well, so... I think it's clear what the agenda behind this talking point is.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So basically Playstation and Xbox are in full decline (based on apparent major declines overall and of individual platforms besides the much younger Switch). The mid gen hardware refreshes did not stave off the inevitable...

Also sea of thieves higher on the Xbox chart (#6) than Spiderman on the Ps4 chart (#7) (granted Spider Man surely has many more overall sales). Given the game has also had a lot of staying power on twitch, I think SOT should be acknowledged more as a genuine success.

Also we did not get any wild pork this month? I guess like me he forgot about NPD this month lol.
This post is interesting, lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure that poster I originally responded to has an agenda.

But yes, you're absolutely right. The major retail games that the Switch is getting do show up in its monthly top 10's. It just so happens that there was really only one in January.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Wooo! Happy to see Ace Combat 7 charted! Loving the game atm! Glad that KH3 and RE2Remake are on top too!

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding third parties, I do wonder how MK11 will perform on Switch, assuming it's a competent port and the entire game is on the cart. If it's a shoddy conversion and/or it requires a large download, sales will be affected.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
wow Kingdom Hearts destroyed Resident Evil with one week less!! Its a very fun game work well done by SE

Its a bit funny comparing the remake to the original release on PS1

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the problem. So what if Nintendo fans are buying lots of Nintendo games and not third party (even though there's not many of them)? Is it not causing the switch to be the best selling console? Are games on switch not buying purchased in huge numbers?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure if Nintendo were a third party, there would be a ton of their games in the top 10 of the other consoles too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the problem. So what if Nintendo fans are buying lots of Nintendo games and not third party (even though there's not many of them)? Is it not causing the switch to be the best selling console? Are games on switch not buying purchased in huge numbers?

Some people are taking this list of best sellers being dominated by Nintendo titles as a reason why third parties avoid putting their games on the system. Like, "oh wow 9/10 of the best selling games this month are Nintendo titles, how could we possibly compete?? It's just not worth it!"

Obviously this reasoning makes no sense because there aren't actually any/many titles third parties are putting onto the system which anyone would expect to make the list.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3rd parties routinely dominate Nintendo's eShop rankings, and we've have confirmation of multiple 3rd party games on Switch topping 1 million copies sold in the last fiscal year alone. Like right now the US eShop top 10 sellers is:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Diablo 3
3. WarGroove
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5. Undertale
6. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
7. Overcooked 2
8. Stardew Valley
9. Mario Kart 8
10. Minecraft

Which is pretty standard ... 7/10 or 8/10 being 3rd party games is nothing unusual.

If 3rd parties want a bigger piece of the pie than that, then there has to be bigger effort from them. Right now Switch seems to have promise with 3rd party sales, but 3rd parties gotta meet Nintendo half way at some point.

Relative to the quality of content, 3rd parties on Switch I would say are doing well. Multiple 3rd party games hitting 1 million+ in like 9 months (or whatever that was) alone plus the eShop rankings being constantly dominated by 3rd party content given that most third parties aren't really trying that hard is a good foundation to build off of.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ecstatic that AC 7 is in the top 10 overall and top 5 for both consoles it released for.

Absolutely gutted that Travis Strikes Again is nowhere to be found, not in the top 10, not in the top 20, nowhere in the top 10 for even Switch. My fears of its commercial potential, unfortunately, became true.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
No word on how Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes did?
It was digital only, Nintendo doesn't disclose digital numbers.

What retail releases released in January?

You do realize that Nintendo currently is the single best publisher when it comes to number of best sellers right? In the NPD reports of 2018, 6, over 1/4 of the titles released were Nintendo titles. 2017 also saw 6 titles reach top 20 in NPD. It is absolutely no wonder Nintendo charts are high, because, they simply have a variety of titles that keep on selling. Now there are no huge retail releases for January, so what do you expect people to buy besides evergreen titles and new releases?

Jan 17, 2019
The reported UK split only covers physical units. Since digital is said to be extraordinarily high on Xbox, I don't trust that number even for a second (not to mention extrapolating said number to the US).

Is it? Who said that? Benji? If so, he doesn't have access to digital data in US. He also doesn't have access to physical nor digital data in Europe ( btw. KH3 is at 44th place in " UK Top Paid" on Xbox Store )

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding third parties, I do wonder how MK11 will perform on Switch, assuming it's a competent port and the entire game is on the cart. If it's a shoddy conversion and/or it requires a large download, sales will be affected.

Will that be the first major third party release with launch parity on Switch? Honestly seems like an odd one, but will be interesting to watch.