• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
State of the market

January 2020 tracked spending across video game HW, SW, ACC and GC totaled $678 million, falling 26 percent when compared to a year ago. Late cycle hardware dynamics for PS4 and Xbox One, as well as a lighter new release software slate drove the variance.

Software

Dollar sales of tracked video game software fell 31 percent in January compared to a year ago, to $311 million. Declines were driven by the new release slate, as the January 2019 comparable month featured both Kingdom Hearts III and Resident Evil 2.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot was January's best-selling game. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot launch month sales were there third highest in franchise history, trailing only Dragon Ball: Fighterz, and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was the second best-selling title in the month of January and remains the best-selling game over the past 12 months.

Grand Theft Auto V returned to the top 5 ranked best-selling titles for the first time since August 2019. Grand Theft Auto V remains the best-selling video game in U.S. history.

Ring Fit Adventure jumped to become the 9th ranked title on the best-sellers chart in January. This is the highest ranked placement for Ring Fit Adventure to date.

Hardware

Hardware spending in January 2020 declined 35 percent when compared to a year ago, to $129 million. All in-market platforms declined when compared to a year ago.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of January in both unit and dollar sales.

Accessories

Total January 2020 spending on accessories and game cards reached $238 million, 11 percent lower when compared to a year ago.

The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller was the best-selling video game accessory for the third consecutive month. With three months in market, It is the fifth fastest-selling video game accessory in U.S. history.

Software charts

January 2020 top 20 :

EQvcfDhUEAAp7Ap

Xbox One

EQvctbLVUAAggi3

PlayStation 4

EQvcqf1VAAA5naP

Nintendo Switch

EQvcwTSU0AUxi2g

The 10 best-selling games of the last 12 months

EQvcYBSUwAEZsHY

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V is a beast!

Happy to see Jedi Fallen Order still selling well. Ubisoft need to up their game!

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Good chance of another CyberConnect 2 Dragon Ball game then.

Wonder if it will be an adaptation of Super.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Happy for Kakarot, can't forget the experience i got the first time i opened the skies with super sonic speed.

Also, elite 2 the 5th fastest selling video game accesory in US history?
Relax people, its just a control, lol

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the guy that thought TMS #FE on Switch would be a million seller in the US.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Damn, 3 games from not 2019 on the best selling games of the year. Surprised that RDR2 were not one of them

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect TMS to chart but I at least expected it to enter the Switch charts.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised everything is down. It seems like it's been a while since we had any big releases or price drops

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
It shouldn't, but it still amazes me every month to see Minecraft and GTAV in the top 10 consistently! Crazy!!

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Switch down in units is honestly surprising all things considering. But i think the next months it'll be up thanks line up + Lite.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony needs really needs to cut the price. They've got some big hitters coming this year and this will be a great time to do it.