• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo once again resting on laurels during first half of the year.

While I am not a fan of the rather soft H1s of Nintendo and I wish they would spread out their releases more I can't blame them for their strategy considering it worked out so far. Maybe they just don't care about H1 when the majority of their sales happen in the 2nd half of the year anyways.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
After 7 years ps4 and Xbox one combined are like 155 million right? What was the combined ps3 and 360 after 7 years
At that point it would've been in the range of 170-185m. No one exactly knows because we never got real numbers in the end.

While the PS4 is up a ton over the PS3, it doesn't make up for ground lost on the Xbox 1 from 360.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
At that point it would've been in the range of 170-185m. No one exactly knows because we never got real numbers in the end.

While the PS4 is up a ton over the PS3, it doesn't make up for ground lost on the Xbox 1 from 360.

That is way too high. X360 passed 80 million by late october of 2013 (PS3 around the same time) so by early 2013 combined total for X360/PS3 was probably somewhere between 150-155 million.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
About what? Their one half-assed legacy port not selling well on Switch?

It's always annoying when third-parties put off half-ass ports and when it doesn't sell uses that as justification that their games don't sell on Nintendo's systems.

Then again, they probably looked at Capcom and figured that they can do the same thing and get paid.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's always annoying when third-parties put off half-ass ports and when it doesn't sell uses that as justification that their games don't sell on Nintendo's systems.

Then again, they probably looked at Capcom and figured that they can do the same thing and get paid.

Yeah, I mean if their strategy is just to focus on other platforms and make as much money as they can there, then fine, just say that. Don't say your stuff doesn't sell when you barely put anything noteworthy out anyway. The Sims being the most ludicrous example they picked.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really seem surprising that the previous consoles had a better tail end. I mean the 360 had Kinect and the PS3 was catching up on years of underperformance.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No competition but I'm not complaining congrats Bamco and CC2. It's a great DBZ game, my favorite story mode since the first Budokai.

Shame that Switch is down YoY. But hopefully it can make it up with Animal Crossing. It's behaving like a normal Nintendo system outside of Japan it would seem.

It's funny how Microsoft found success late last gen with the casual Kinect but this time around they are finding it in the hardcore elite controller.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
So Will NSMBU2 have a higher LTD than SMM2 WW? (assuming no bundles)
Seems the streams have crossed in NA but not JP yet
It likely will

Good for Kakarot, was a solid 8/10 game IMO.
It definitely started as an 8/10 game for me but im at the end of the cell saga and can slowly feel the budget dissipating with each scene lol. The way things are going I'm expecting important things to be cut from the buy saga.
Combat is better than I thought, probably the best surprise

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the PS3/360 era hardware numbers are slightly padded by the sheer amount of consoles dying especially when it comes to RROD. YLOD was no slouch either.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Do Switch sales include the Lite? I would assume so, since they roll up the PS4/Pro and all the different Xbox One skus. But I'd be interested to see how well the Lite is selling on its own.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well we can guess Xbox one is 47-51 million
With KillerMan91 post, a guesstimate for 360 would be 70-71m as of Nov 2012 (PS3 passed 80 early Nov 13, like 360)
And for One, probably 46-47m as of Dec 2019 (it didn't reach 50m)

So something like 140-141m PS360 and 156m PS4/One in 6 years

But PS4/One have Nov/Dec sales of their 6th year counted, unlike PS360

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder how much Cyberpunk and LOU2 being delayed hurt PS4/Xbox One sales in Q1. If both games release after the final next gen hw are revealed I can see a lot of people just waiting it out.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With KillerMan91 post, a guesstimate for 360 would be 70-71m as of Nov 2012 (PS3 passed 80 early Nov 13, like 360)
And for One, probably 46-47m as of Dec 2019 (it didn't reach 50m)

So something like 140-141m PS360 and 156m PS4/One in 6 years

But PS4/One have Nov/Dec sales of their 6th year counted, unlike PS360
Well if your counting holiday sales for PS4 and one but not ps3 and 360 then that doesn't help much lol

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Grand Theft Auto V returned to the top 5 ranked best-selling titles for the first time since August 2019. Grand Theft Auto V remains the best-selling video game in U.S. history.

Dang. I hope Rockstar is taking their sweet time with GTA VI.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I think the PS3/360 era hardware numbers are slightly padded by the sheer amount of consoles dying especially when it comes to RROD. YLOD was no slouch either.

Well on the other hand PS4/XBO numbers are somewhat padded by PS4 Pro and Xbox one X selling to customers that already owned base machine.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, I mean if their strategy is just to focus on other platforms and make as much money as they can there, then fine, just say that. Don't say your stuff doesn't sell when you barely put anything noteworthy out anyway. The Sims being the most ludicrous example they picked.

I have never bought an EA game, but I would buy the Sims if it came to the Switch. I'm a sucker for those kinds of games.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
With ZhugeEX comment on Switch being down by a single % digit (at least in units), that would put Switch Jan. 2020 on the podium of the best January months of the generation, below Switch Jan. 2019 and alongside Switch Jan. 2018.
So PS4 Jan 2014 was behind Switch Jan 2018 ?

Well if your counting holiday sales for PS4 and one but not ps3 and 360 then that doesn't help much lol
That's the best you can have with the info we have lol
But even with Nov/Dec PS360 sales counted, they would be at least 8-9m behind PS4/One combined

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
What line up? There is no date for anything after Animal Crossing: New Horizons. All we have heard is speculation about some ports of old Wii U games and remakes. Nintendo once again resting on laurels during first half of the year.

We only know about Q1. Commenting about the first-half as a whole like this and without exactly knowing what April - June has in store is a bit impulsive. I'd say it's better to wait for when Nintendo officially decide to talk, and that's when we can comment with actual good basis the lineup for the entire first-half. The wait may be excruciating (I know), but by first half of March (I'd say) they'll have to talk about it anyway.

EDIT: Edited due to excessive vitroil in my original post, my apologies.