• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
How much did the pro sell

We never really got exact splits after launch period of those consoles. I recall someone stating that generally Pro was 25% of PS4 sales (can't find the source or when this was). Also lower during holidays when price is the king. Also obviously not every PS4 Pro/ XBO X owner had the base console so it's hard to calculate how many double dippers there are.

Oddly enough they will be roughly the same. I think we peaked during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era for traditional consoles.

Nah. We peaked during PS3/X360 gen. You are forgetting Wii. This gen will be probably quite similar to PS2 gen (if we ignore very late PS2 sales). Depends on do you count Switch to PS4 gen or to PS5 gen. If you count it as a PS4 gen this gen will be far higher if not then somewhat similar. Also people should remember that handhelds still moved also good amount of sw and hw during PS2 and Wii gens (especially Wii gen). Now they are completely dead and only traditional home consoles are left (With Switch being something between)

Oct 26, 2017
I figured the PS4/XB1's sales would fall off hard like the PS3/360's did when their successors were announced but I figured it'd be by a lesser amount not more, especially when this year will have so many big games on them before next gen systems even come out

I think the PS3/360 era hardware numbers are slightly padded by the sheer amount of consoles dying especially when it comes to RROD. YLOD was no slouch either.
The PS4/XB1 have Pro models so I'd say that more than tips the scales back in their favor

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Impressive stats for the Elite Series 2 controller. Great to see Modern warfare thriving at the top even though that's really not a big surprise to anyone. GTA still astoundingly dominating and I'll never understand why. Surprised a bit by Kakarot as I haven't heard much hype about the game before release. Actually might give Kakarot a shot at some point since I've heard it's a pretty good truncated entry point if you're not into or super familiar with Dragonball.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It should also be noted that a lot of the lifetime sales of ps3 and 360 were during a very bad recession while most of the life ps4 and Xbox one have been during better times, PS4 and Xbox one should be much higher imo

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe outselling Super Mario Maker 2 still disappoints me.
Why? One is the best 2D Mario of all time. The other is a tool for people to make 2D Mario stages.

Most people want a curated A-to-B experience, not playing a bunch of troll stages (which I honestly believe is the #1 reason SMM didn't sell better).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I guess the switch really is a Nintendo machine....
What released in the last few months that could break the top 10? There was only Just Dance and it is 10th
Also the least time a big multiplatform launched day and date on switch it topped Switch charts (MK11)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dragon Ball still huge in the US, not surprised it did well, and I'm glad for it. It's not perfect but it contains a lot of elements I wanted to get from a single player DBZ game and it's solid.

I am only a bit surprised it topped COD, but I also know this is revenue and COD was discounted often in January if I remember right, plus a few months on market will inevitably slow any annual release title a bit.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why? One is the best 2D Mario of all time. The other is a tool for people to make 2D Mario stages.

Most people want a curated A-to-B experience, not playing a bunch of troll stages (which I honestly believe is the #1 reason SMM didn't sell better).

That's down on Nintendo's Message not pushing the communities more polished stages to the center (And also, probably would have helped if the online multiplayer was less of a lag fest as well). Heck, maybe even advertise there was a Curated A-to-B experience with the games single player.

Maker 2 just also has a lot more going for it with all the new tools for creating levels of different types. Only thing NSMBUD brought to the table from it's Wii U counterpart was a power-up that inadvertently led to Bowsette taking over the internet for a good while. .

MadsG

Nov 1, 2017
I dont disagree. However i dont think that this statement can be extrapolated to all publishers.
I think the same could be said about Xbox and Playstation: why publish games on their platform if you are not the same 10+years yearly returning franchise from EA/Take2/activition/ubisoft eg. Madden, FIFA, COD, assasins creed?

Other games appearing on either platform may just have more to do with what platform is willing to pay more under the table for exclusivity ( https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-interview-phil-spencer-on-microsofts-firs/1100-6429471/)
Apart from the yearly returning franchises, i think Sony and Microsoft spendings on 3rd party exclusivity is significantly higer than Nintendos.
I would love to be proven wrong or read some hard data on this, but thats probably unlikely.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
That's down on Nintendo's Message not pushing the communities more polished stages to the center (And also, probably would have helped if the online multiplayer was less of a lag fest as well). Heck, maybe even advertise there was a Curated A-to-B experience with the games single player.

Maker 2 just also has a lot more going for it with all the new tools for creating levels of different types. Only thing NSMBUD brought to the table from it's Wii U counterpart was a power-up that inadvertently led to Bowsette taking over the internet for a good while. .
Nintendo did do that...in fact that's most of what they promote about the game, but let's be honest...no one is interested in "polished stages"...the crazy hard stages and troll stages is what made this game famous. People aren't buying SMM to play a stage like ones that were made in traditional 2D Mario games. You won't see one stream or video of anyone doing traditional Mario stages. Of course some people do them but they are crowded out by all the super-hard stages. Even the games single player can be a bit weird and too difficult some many Mario fans.

There is no Venn diagram where Mario fans and Dark Souls fans meet.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I guess the switch really is a Nintendo machine....
other than FIFA (which the switch has a gimped version of) and Minecraft (which has sold great on the switch) the rest of the top ten for the other platforms aren't even released on the switch. So how are third parties supposed to get on the switch top 10 when they don't release the games for it?

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
What released in the last few months that could break the top 10? There was only Just Dance and it is 10th
Also the least time a big multiplatform launched day and date on switch it topped Switch charts (MK11)
Why does it have to have released in the last few months? Switch owners have no problem buying years old Nintendo games.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Are we going to ignore the fact that the Switch has no competition right now?

This doesn't even make sense. A product is selling because there is demand for it and not because it has no competition. It's the same dumb argument when people try to downplay the sales numbers of launch games eventhough there are a ton of bombs at launch as well.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it have to have released in the last few months? Switch owners have no problem buying years old Nintendo games.

You can extend the argument for the last 3 years and it would be still correct. What worthwhile 3rd party games released in the last 3 years that should top the charts? The full-priced gimped ports?

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
First time Death Stranding is out of the PS4 top 10.

Is its run over or do we think it has a chance of returning?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Maybe mortal kombat?

Doesn't the Switch MK port have issues?

And it's weird that even when third-party developers say they're happy with Switch's sells and how it increased their profits, people still uses 'Nintendo fans don't buy third-party' because the third-party game isn't in the top 20.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
HW slowing down, good for DBZ.

360/PS3 sold 283k/201k units in 2013, so PS4/XBO being below was a guarantee.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Kakarot is a good time, did my part. Not expecting much post launch dlc, but I'd be down for some DBS arcs... I don't think DBS warrants an entire new game... honestly, theres only two good arcs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the Switch MK port have issues?

And it's weird that even when third-party developers say they're happy with Switch's sells and how it increased their profits, people still uses 'Nintendo fans don't buy third-party' because the third-party game isn't in the top 20.
not particularly? it does have some performance issues though

also, Switcher did very well

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
not particularly? it does have some performance issues though

also, Switcher did very well

I do remember MK for the Switch needed an extra patch and the whole thing about them hiding what the game looked like until late.

Witcher is just the latest out of stuff like DOOM and Diablo.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I do remember MK for the Switch needed an extra patch and the whole thing about them hiding what the game looked like until late.

Witcher is just the latest out of stuff like DOOM and Diablo.
Right, not sure how anyone can say "Switch is a Nintendo machine" or "3rd parties don't sell" anymore for the system. Skyrim, Doom, Diablo, Civilization, MK, Witcher have all sold good. That's not even considering the more indie/eshop style stuff doing well and sometimes best on the system.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they announce GTA 6 when people are foolish enough to still be throwing thousands of dollars in GTA 5 online?

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Right, not sure how anyone can say "Switch is a Nintendo machine" or "3rd parties don't sell" anymore for the system. Skyrim, Doom, Diablo, Civilization, MK, Witcher have all sold good. That's not even considering the more indie/eshop style stuff doing well and sometimes best on the system.
Have we had numbers for any of those games you mention. Civ in particular seemed to come and go with little fanfare.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Have we had numbers for any of those games you mention. Civ in particular seemed to come and go with little fanfare.
I think all we have ever gotten was feedback from the publishers, no hard numbers. I could have sworn Civ also came out with very positive things regarding sales.

EDIT: I do think it was confirmed at one point that Skyrim did get close to 1mil though?