• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how the truth works. Unless your a developer at Capcom or have worked on the same I have no why your able to say with certainty hat your saying. Unless you have new information to bring to the table.
Occam's Razor. Their games sell on the Switch so their only hurdle is a technical one. They outright stated Monster Hunter World couldn't work for that very reason, so it makes sense that's also the reason why the two games using their far more advanced engine couldn't either. Again, ID Tech is an entirely different engine that can run on a wider range of hardware. The system requirements for Doom are an i5-2400 and a GTX 670 while Monster Hunter World and RE7 needs an i5-4460 and a GTX 760, at least a generation ahead of the technically more impressive Doom and that game was cut back a lot on Switch.

Seriously it's not hard to figure out.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Occam's Razor. Their games sell on the Switch so their only hurdle is a technical one. They outright stated Monster Hunter World couldn't work for that very reason, so it makes sense that's also the reason why the two games using their far more advanced engine couldn't either. Again, ID Tech is an entirely different engine that can run on a wider range of hardware. The system requirements for Doom are an i5-2400 and a GTX 670 while Monster Hunter World and RE7 needs an i5-4460 and a GTX 760, at least a generation ahead of the technically more impressive Doom and that game was cut back a lot on Switch.

Occams Razor isn't used to say the truth it's a problem solving system using probability of something being correct. That's not the truth, it's not always right it's the probability of being right. It's not the same thing at all.

The fact you managed to confuse the two is odd.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using system requirements to figure out the low end is a fully because it only goes as far down as the devs care to test

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Occams Razor isn't used to say the truth it's a problem solving system using probability of something being correct. That's not the truth, it's not always right it's the probability of being right. It's not the same thing at all.

The fact you managed to confuse the two is odd.
Lol you're getting hung up on semantics. The Switch is a tablet and Capcom is bringing as much support as possible. Expecting higher end stuff though is a ridiculous expectation. That's my point.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Lol you're getting hung up on semantics. The Switch is a tablet and Capcom is bringing as much support as possible. Expecting higher end stuff though is a ridiculous expectation. That's my point.
It's not semantics it's an important distinction. Why on earth are you making definitive statements on things you don't have first hand knowledge on? Maybe it's because of the field I'm in but just because you think something is correct and have no first hand data proving it to be correct, doesn't make it correct.

It just shows your own ignorance of understanding the subject. Qualifiers exist, use them.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not semantics it's an important distinction. Why on earth are you making definitive statements on things you don't have first hand knowledge on? Maybe it's because of the field I'm in but just because you think something is correct and have no first hand data proving it to be correct, doesn't make it correct.

It just shows your own ignorance of understanding the subject. Qualifiers exist, use them.
It is true. That's what even Capcom said regarding a game using Monster Hunter World.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/mons...has-big-plans-for-nintendos-portable-console/

DMC 5, REmake 2, Monster World can't run on Switch. I already laid out as much proof as I can find including an official statement by Capcom. If you somehow can prove that these games can run on Switch besides Schrodinger's cat, I'll rest my case.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Despite that on consoles RE7 runs at a higher resolution than Doom whilst targetting the same framerate.

It's very possible it isn't possible at all but I don't think any of us have enough to go on to rule it out definitively.

It's worth noting that Monster Hunter World is on an entirely different engine than RE7,DMC5 and RE2 and targets 30fps on XBO/PS4(and struggles to hit it).

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It is true. That's what even Capcom said regarding a game using Monster Hunter World.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/mons...has-big-plans-for-nintendos-portable-console/

DMC 5, REmake 2, Monster World can't run on Switch. I already laid out as much proof as I can find including an official statement by Capcom. If you somehow can prove that these games can run on Switch besides Schrodinger's cat, I'll rest my case.
Are either of the games you talked about MHW?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite that on consoles RE7 runs at a higher resolution than Doom whilst targetting the same framerate.

It's very possible it isn't possible at all but I don't think any of us have enough to go on to rule it out definitively.

It's worth noting that Monster Hunter World is on an entirely different engine than RE7,DMC5 and RE2 and targets 30fps on XBO/PS4(and struggles to hit it).
Oh really is that why Capcom had to use game streaming to get the game working on Switch?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh really is that why Capcom had to use game streaming to get the game working on Switch?
Wait, they HAD to? More like they chose to do that. Streaming is a much, much easier process than porting the game. That does not mean the game could not run on the Switch. Stop spouting stuff as facts when you're not in a position to do so

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
arguing about third party games on Nintendo hardware

IN 2018

Just buy a PS4/PC for fuck's sake
Most of the posts I've seen seem like genuine excitement about the future because a Switch third party game took top spot this month and we have been seeing great announcements recently like Doom Eternal, Diablo 3, Warframe ect.

It's only getting better and this is the first time we can say that in generations.

2017/2018 actually seem like a turnaround years if anything.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not! That's my point. Way to miss it.
I'm just trying to give out reasonable explanations. I love the Switch but come on it's a small ARM tablet with really impressive capabilities but it's not going to run everything and this isn't the first time you even heard this. And I don't know how else I can say it without sounding like a broken record so I'm not. Switch has good third party support, it'll get better but you gotta be realistic.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my Smash prediction is like the most discussed prediction I made since I told everyone to keep their Switch expectations for last November in check and PS4 was "nuking from orbit"

When Smash Ultimate results come in its going to be either really fun or time to hide in a Fallout shelter until the dust settles

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I think my Smash prediction is like the most discussed prediction I made since I told everyone to keep their Switch expectations for last November in check and PS4 was "nuking from orbit"

When Smash Ultimate results come in its going to be either really fun or time to hide in a Fallout shelter until the dust settles
Obligatory:

Nintendo_aeb295_675477.gif

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Out of curiosity what was your prediction or where can I find it?

EDIT: Never mind I have found it and yes I agree, Smash Ultimate will be the largest launch for a Nintendo home console game ever. The hype for that game is just insane and not to mention that it is already the best selling game on Amazon.com's bestseller list of this year (I know these bestseller lists on amazon don't show the full picture but it's a good indicator).

Last edited:

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why not? Capcom's games aren't more impressive than games like Doom: Eternal. In fact, they're less impressive.

I really would like a thread exploring what's technically feasible on the platform. If Doom wolf and Doom eternal can run on the system.
Then DMC5, RE2, and a host of other games could be ported. MHW could likely be done with down grades. Indeed if doom is the standard, it looks better than many games mentioned.Back on topic switch is killing it.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Bonus, in addition to sales info we are also getting a gripping, in depth view into game development from actual id, Machine Games, and Capcom devs. Fascinating stuff.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

I think even if your prediction is off. Smash Ultimate will do fantastic enough that most (hopefully) won't care that you were off.

Plus they should be too busy playing the game lol

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't know it was that high.
I'm one of them, and it makes an excellent secondary console for sure.

Data suggest to me that Switch isn't directly competing with PS4/Xone to begin with so a lot of this... conversation... is coming from a flawed set of assumptions.

Dont really see this changing either, Switch is already proven to be an incremental purchase for core gamers, now it needs to prove it can reach mass market non-console owning audience with Pokemon and initiatives like Labo, folks that are PS4/Xone rejectors.

Oct 25, 2017
Just speculation, but it does seem weird that capcom never ported RE7 if they were planning on using that engine for so many games.

RE7 works on console VR in a slow paced house.
They told Nintendo to change the final specs of the switch specifically for the engine too.

It's weird that capcom told us that but never bothered. Maybe they'll do it eventually

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Data suggest to me that Switch isn't directly competing with PS4/Xone to begin with so a lot of this... conversation... is coming from a flawed set of assumptions.

Dont really see this changing either, Switch is already proven to be an incremental purchase for core gamers, now it needs to prove it can reach mass market non-console owning audience with Pokemon and initiatives like Labo, folks that are PS4/Xone rejectors.
From a hardware pov, this makes perfect sense as Switch appears to be complementing other devices, but like the people you are referencing, I own several current gen devices, but there is a choice to be made everytime I buy a game, so in that regard are the different devices not competing for your choice in purchased software?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is amazing. Nintendo has a popular console again for the core base, unlike the Wii which was for everyone young to old.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just speculation, but it does seem weird that capcom never ported RE7 if they were planning on using that engine for so many games.

RE7 works on console VR in a slow paced house.
They told Nintendo to change the final specs of the switch specifically for the engine too.

It's weird that capcom told us that but never bothered. Maybe they'll do it eventually
My best guess is that they tried to get it to run on Switch but it didn't meet their performance goals for whatever reason. If Capcom was testing out a new streaming service that'd be one thing but they're not it's just this one game on this one console.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
their only hurdle is a technical one. They outright stated Monster Hunter World couldn't work for that very reason
Source? Regardless of whether you are correct in your general argument or not, I believe you are wrong on this thing you state as fact, as far as I recall they didn't outright say that MHW was not being ported due to technical hurdles. They gave a very ambiguous statement actually, as in "MHW will never be ported to Switch", without an outright explanation as to why.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I own a Switch and a PC. My PC can run most AAAs coming out. However I have very little time nowadays to play games on my PC, and much more time to play on my Switch. Therefore I am very interested in getting AAA multiplats on Switch so I can actually have time to play them, graphics or performance be damned.

I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way. That's why the topic is very interesting to me.

I don't think it's a very controversial prediction to be honest. Even if it narrowly misses being the biggest opening I don't think anyone will take issue with what you said.

I really would like a thread exploring what's technically feasible on the platform. If Doom wolf and Doom eternal can run on the system.
Then DMC5, RE2, and a host of other games could be ported. MHW could likely be done with down grades. Indeed if doom is the standard, it looks better than many games mentioned.Back on topic switch is killing it.

I've been seeing a lot of GPD Win/2 comparisons with some of these games and I think that's a fairly good benchmark to see what's possible on Switch.

Switch runs DOOM 2016 at a higher overall average resolution with a few higher graphical settings than on the Win 2 with a lower average framerate. Though to be fair the Switch version's framerate is locked to 30 while the Win 2's is unlocked. It has some drops as bad as the Switch version's drops too.

So basically I think if the GPD Win 2 can run a game decently then the Switch certainly can too. If it looks like a slideshow on the Win 2 then probably not, at least without a lot of effort porting.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
My best guess is that they tried to get it to run on Switch but it didn't meet their performance goals for whatever reason. If Capcom was testing out a new streaming service that'd be one thing but they're not it's just this one game on this one console.

Orrrrr, perhaps they did not dedicate the necessary resources for the device. Which is the premise of the argument for the past x pages. As one poster said, if you're to engage in hypothetical scenarios or even educated guesses, look no further than the GPD win devices.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we expect a decent Black Friday sale for the Switch this year? I really want one but am trying my best to have hold off a few more months to see what happens with the price.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
hmmmm...I own a PS4 and a Switch, yes. Don't really use either of them for AAA gaming much though; for the most part, I don't care about those games appearing on Switch as a personal matter.

I'm more sitting here hoping that Switch/PS4/PC(/Xbox) becomes more and more of a thing with Japanese developers, both as a personal matter and as a "health of the Japanese console software market" matter. e.g. My dream is that Switch ultimately unites what remains of 3DS, PS4, Vita, and Wii U support streams on a viable platform for the Japanese market (that also is showing good software sales) and that, together with a multiplatform strategy for abroad, this breathes new life into making console games for Japan and the world (rather than just the world). A lot of my favorite games of all time were made with Japan particularly in mind (e.g. JRPGs by-and-large) and that content stream is contracting (or rather being redirected towards mobile).

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
At this point in time, I'd put as much trust in Capcom's statements regarding the Switch as I would a typical Sarah Huckabee Sanders press briefing. E.g., diddly/squat.

Then DMC5, RE2, and a host of other games could be ported. MHW could likely be done with down grades.
Yep. You couldn't port MHW or RE7 to the Switch while retaining the same models or graphical detail, but the idea that those games are somehow using some sort of ultra-secret Capcom-exclusive gaming mojo that just couldn't run on a tablet in any way, shape, or form is laughable.

And don't forget:

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orrrrr, perhaps they did not dedicate the necessary resources for the device. Which is the premise of the argument for the past x pages. As one poster said, if you're to engage in hypothetical scenarios or even educated guesses, look no further than the GPD win devices.
Is this a stealth lazy devs post?

And holy shit the denial is deep. I can't believe you all are seriously arguing these games which are probably pushing current gen consoles because look at them can run on the Switch and I don't think anybody is expecting them too. I'm done you all are tripping.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we expect a decent Black Friday sale for the Switch this year? I really want one but am trying my best to have hold off a few more months to see what happens with the price.

It's very unlikely, they aren't in any position where they need a price drop

Eh I wouldn't be so sure. They're already doing the Walmart bundle with 2 games for $360, I'd be a bit surprised if they don't do a slightly more aggressive bundle for Black Friday.

I think they might also do a temporary price drop but almost certainly a bundle.