• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Data suggest to me that Switch isn't directly competing with PS4/Xone to begin with so a lot of this... conversation... is coming from a flawed set of assumptions.

Dont really see this changing either, Switch is already proven to be an incremental purchase for core gamers, now it needs to prove it can reach mass market non-console owning audience with Pokemon and initiatives like Labo, folks that are PS4/Xone rejectors.
If possible, can you say what data leads you to this conclusion? Being that most Switch owners also own a PS4 or Xbox One, I'd say they're directly competing as they're selling to the same audience and gamers only have so much money to spend on games between 2-3 consoles. The market seems like it's getting bigger to the point where many people can own multiple consoles, but it would still seem the products are competing for the dollars of an overlapping audience.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a stealth lazy devs post?

And holy shit the denial is deep. I can't believe you all are seriously arguing these games which are probably pushing current gen consoles because look at them can run on the Switch and I don't think anybody is expecting them too. I'm done you all are tripping.

Where do I imply anything about lazy? I said they haven't dedicated the necessary resources. And that's, very clearly, a fact based even solely upon recent shareholder meetings.

As far as capabilities, again look into the GPD Win series as an approximate indicator instead of making absolute declarations.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
I own ps pro, Xbox X and the switch. Sony and Xbox get played equal. I never play my switch. If I get the choice of playing a new third party published game. I'll choose Xbox or Sony every time. I don't even think about purchasing game for switch. I am happy for Nintendo success.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
Eh I wouldn't be so sure. They're already doing the Walmart bundle with 2 games for $360, I'd be a bit surprised if they don't do a slightly more aggressive bundle for Black Friday.

I think they might also do a temporary price drop but almost certainly a bundle.

They are also introducing a new revenue stream with paid online, so they might take advantage of that with a bundle and/or price drop, knowing they will make up the difference in online subscriptions and higher software sales.

Oct 25, 2017
I own a Switch and a PC. My PC can run most AAAs coming out. However I have very little time nowadays to play games on my PC, and much more time to play on my Switch. Therefore I am very interested in getting AAA multiplats on Switch so I can actually have time to play them, graphics or performance be damned.

I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way. That's why the topic is very interesting to me.

I don't think it's a very controversial prediction to be honest. Even if it narrowly misses being the biggest opening I don't think anyone will take issue with what you said.

I've been seeing a lot of GPD Win/2 comparisons with some of these games and I think that's a fairly good benchmark to see what's possible on Switch.

Switch runs DOOM 2016 at a higher overall average resolution with a few higher graphical settings than on the Win 2 with a lower average framerate. Though to be fair the Switch version's framerate is locked to 30 while the Win 2's is unlocked. It has some drops as bad as the Switch version's drops too.

So basically I think if the GPD Win 2 can run a game decently then the Switch certainly can too. If it looks like a slideshow on the Win 2 then probably not, at least without a lot of effort porting.
You are not. I have pc and switch and prefer switch if the game is available there. Love not being tethered to a specific spot to game in.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think my Smash prediction is like the most discussed prediction I made since I told everyone to keep their Switch expectations for last November in check and PS4 was "nuking from orbit"

When Smash Ultimate results come in its going to be either really fun or time to hide in a Fallout shelter until the dust settles

I thought it was a possibility when you first said it, but after doing research and assessing the situation it is actually a really reasonable prediction. Nintendo has never really had their flagship holiday title come out in December in the US. It typically comes out in mid-November and sales get diluted in a way between November and December.

Now for Ultimate, there is a perfect confluence of realities: the Switch sells software at a ridiculous pace, Ultimate looks to be the eminent Smash title, and it is releasing at the start of December, the biggest software month of the year. A 3+ million launch in the US seems not only possible, but likely.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point in time, I'd put as much trust in Capcom's statements regarding the Switch as I would a typical Sarah Huckabee Sanders press briefing. E.g., diddly/squat.
Ok so now we're at the point where Capcom is lying because it doesn't line up with this inane theory that Capcom should be bringing games to the Switch that they themselves admitted they can't get to work.

I'm sorry but no this is about as honest and open of a statement as you'll get. If they had plans to bring Monster Hunter to the Switch they wouldn't have said that. They even said they're gonna bring more Monster Hunter to the platform so what's the problem. They're pretty much bringing out every game that can run like Okami and Mega Man X and it's outselling both the PS4 and Xbox versions easily and that's gonna continue. Be realistic with what you're gonna get.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what conclusions you can really make just based on the overlap between Switch owners and other console owners or what it even means to be a complementary/supplementary system. Does that mean that multiplatform releases are a waste of time? Do it mean later releases are a waste of time? To an extreme is it even worth making a Switch SKU if people can just buy it on another platform?

Ok so now we're at the point where Capcom is lying because it doesn't line up with this inane theory that Capcom should be bringing games to the Switch that they themselves admitted they can't get to work.

I'm sorry but no this is about as honest and open of a statement as you'll get. If they had plans to bring Monster Hunter to the Switch they wouldn't have said that. They even said they're gonna bring more Monster Hunter to the platform so what's the problem. They're pretty much bringing out every game that can run like Okami and Mega Man X and it's outselling both the PS4 and Xbox versions easily and that's gonna continue. Be realistic with what you're gonna get.

To the bolded: They didn't AFAIK, that was from an unsourced twitter post.
To the Italicised: They're not and even in the case of Okami it's many months after other platforms, as a digital only title.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm not sure what conclusions you can really make just based on the overlap between Switch owners and other console owners or what it even means to be a complementary/supplementary system. Does that mean that multiplatform releases are a waste of time? Do it mean later releases are a waste of time? To an extreme is it even worth making a Switch SKU if people can just buy it on another platform?
To the italicised: It might be a wash, since some people on Era who are Switch + Other Console owners are intentionally picking up Switch versions of new games for the convenience. The belief that horsepower > portability is not universal.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I doubt that they'd be lying that Monster Hunter World would be a challenge to adequately run on the Switch. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even run perfectly on the PS4. Now, that being said, there are other games that they can bring over that they haven't, such as the DMC Collection and their NES Disney collection. Then you have their major games that aren't as demanding that can be brought over, with some resources and interest. Their support isn't as bad as some make it out to be, nor do I believe that there's actual malice on Capcom's end and some folk do need to be more realistic, but it can definitely be better, which I don't think is unfair to say. It's just that some folk get too emotionally invested in this sort of stuff

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To the italicised: It might be a wash, since some people on Era who are Switch + Other Console owners are intentionally picking up Switch versions of new games for the convenience. The belief that horsepower > portability is not universal.

Right but isn't it directly competing on some level then?

If the idea is that Switch consumers are looking for experiences they can't find on the other consoles(because they already own them) then third parties are failing altogether because experiences that are unique to Switch can be counted on one hand and even going into the third year late ports of games already available elsewhere are the norm.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only brought up the ownership overlap because it makes the "just buy an 'x'" response a hollow one. it turns the argument from ownership to preference. in which multiplatform releases only stand to make the publisher more money as it increases the pool of people buying the game

Oct 25, 2017
Consumers on switch are probably more likely to buy and play certain titles they wouldn't on console.
I know there are certain games i probably wouldn't buy on console that i would otherwise.

Bethesda also seems pretty happy with the sales of their late multiplats so there is an audience there and not just a waste

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By some of the logic in the last couple pages it seems that some of you would think that a company putting out the same game on multiple platforms would be proof that the company is competing against itself.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I doubt that they'd be lying that Monster Hunter World would be a challenge to adequately run on the Switch. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even run perfectly on the PS4. Now, that being said, there are other games that they can bring over that they haven't, such as the DMC Collection and their NES Disney collection. Then you have their major games that aren't as demanding that can be brought over, with some resources and interest. Their support isn't as bad as some make it out to be, nor do I believe that there's actual malice on Capcom's end and some folk do need to be more realistic, but it can definitely be better, which I don't think is unfair to say. It's just that some folk get too emotionally invested in this sort of stuff
That stuff is not unreasonable and it's not like they can't do more but this idea that the Switch can run DMC 5 is insane to me and that's the issue I've been taking. The Switch has been out for more than a year and we have a good idea of what can or can't run.

Oct 26, 2017
That stuff is not unreasonable and it's not like they can't do more but this idea that the Switch can run DMC 5 is insane to me and that's the issue I've been taking. The Switch has been out for more than a year and we have a good idea of what can or can't run.
Agreed. I mean, the Switch, as impressive as its hardware is, does not have the chops to run the more demanding games from the PS4/XB1 adequately, just some of them. The Vita couldn't do so with the PS3/360 and even the PSP couldn't do so with the PS2/GC/Xbox. It's no slight against it. So as long as support continues to improve, with more exclusives and higher quality ports, I think the Switch will have a bright future ahead of it

Oct 26, 2017
Does someone else feel like Smash has a chance of outselling Pokémon this year?
I think that's very likely. There's so much hype behind it and it's on a fast selling Nintendo console with a large core audience. I'd say it's pretty likely that it'll not only outsell Brawl by a good margin but even the past few Pokemon games, all but the best selling

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think that's very likely. There's so much hype behind it and it's on a fast selling Nintendo console with a large core audience. I'd say it's pretty likely that it'll not only outsell Brawl by a good margin but even the past few Pokemon games, all but the best selling

That's a range between 31.8m and 23.1m copies WW. It seems a bit high to me.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
My bold prediction, Let's Go will struggle to hit Ultra Sun/Moon numbers. The lack of hype is known, I don't anticipate good word of mouth, and the Go name will only go so far in attracting that audience when it lacks most of the appealing features from the mobile game.

Oct 26, 2017
That's my guess too: between 20m and 15m for Smash and Let's Go more in line with a "remake" entry instead of a "new gen", so between 12m and 15m.
That sounds about right. Even for casual fans, Let's Go isn't as exciting as a brand new next-generation console Pokemon game so I'd expect its sales to be just north of 10 million as opposed to the typical ~15 million

Oct 25, 2017
My bold prediction, Let's Go will struggle to hit Ultra Sun/Moon numbers. The lack of hype is known, I don't anticipate good word of mouth, and the Go name will only go so far in attracting that audience when it lacks most of the appealing features from the mobile game.
Well, maybe. Despite just being an expansion with no hype to it a year after the original released, Ultra still sold like 8M units. Pokémon fans are pretty happy with very safe/bland projects it seems.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
Well, maybe. Despite just being an expansion with no hype to it a year after the original released, Ultra still sold like 8M units. Pokémon fans are pretty happy with very safe/bland projects it seems.

And this is the first console mainline Pokemon game, remake or not. Also, Switch is really hot, much hotter than the 3DS. The floor for these games is pretty damn high.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Does someone else feel like Smash has a chance of outselling Pokémon this year?
Yes, but the fact of the matter is that Smash was always going to have more preorder hype than Pokemon, as this entry seems more targeted at the casual GO crowd.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon silently blew it out of the water if it gets any of the GO crowd... even if things remain silent around it pre-launch.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is also still a $300 console right? Or is the $20 price drop permanent? Not a lot of kids will be able to afford one even at $280;

Let's Go and the next generational update Pokemon will be games that keep on selling as Switch price drops to sub $200 in 2019-2020

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Switch is also still a $300 console right? Or is the $20 price drop permanent? Not a lot of kids will be able to afford one even at $280;

Let's Go and the next generational update Pokemon will be games that keep on selling as Switch price drops to sub $200 in 2019-2020
Whether Let's Go will.continue selling will depend on the fraction of the audience that consists of non-traditional pokémon buyers that might not gonon to buy gen 8 imo, since we have seen that pokémon games largely stop selling when the next entry comes out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

What $20 price drop?

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I think Smash has a chance against Pokemon is because we've been seeing a trend lately where high profile core games like BOTW and GOW are doing insane numbers with long tails. I mean, Smash can be bigger than our wildest dreams.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I think Smash has a chance against Pokemon is because we've been seeing a trend lately where high profile core games like BOTW and GOW are doing insane numbers with long tails. I mean, Smash can bigger than our wildest dreams.
let's not forget TPC cuts off their games' legs with their yearly releases

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Is DMC 5 More demanding than doom eternal? Is it open world? I'm not port begging I'm just curious.
I don't even think Nier is more demanding.
I'm just really impressed with what the switch can do and want the boundaries explored.
Maybe will get a DF soon.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Look it's easy, I don't think the Switch will become obsolete because of streaming. It'll awlays have great games, good ecosystem, all of that.

But, let's say if 5 years from now you really want to play GTA 6 on the go, and you can either portbeg Rockstar game to downport it on the Switch 2, or buy the Microsoft Streaming Box for 100 dollars and play it on your TV, laptop and phone, with cross save, family sharing and all those great services. Then all of the sudden the appeal of the Switch might be a tad diluted.

No one is buying Switch to play GTA. Ever.

Switch will be a greater success than the Wii even if GTA and COD never show up on it. It's really not even worth worrying about.

Octopath Traveler is a 3rd party Switch exclusive thats #1 on the NPD charts.

Ppl still debating about 3rd party ports and whether 3rd party support is good or bad, comparing it to Wii U, etc.

Interesting.

When people complain about 3rd party support on Nintendo machines....they mean a lack of timely AAA multiplats that sell very well on xbox/ps

Octopath Traveller and Mario+Rabbids and Hollow Knight are the exactly the Nintendo type gaming that always appears on Nintendo machines and always do relatively well.

The Wii U had better support of those games (so far). That's why he brought up that Wii U list of COD, Assassins Creed, Madden, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, etc

No one doubted that the Switch would get indies, AA Japanese titles, and multiplats very similar to Nintendo type gaming.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

One of the best selling games ever that moves 15m units a year since launch and you think it launching on the Switch would have 0 effect? That's delusional. GTA5 is the most picked up game with new PS4/Xbox One purchases. There is zero reason to assume that it doesn't find an audience on Switch.

The Wii U had better support of those games (so far). That's why he brought up that Wii U list of COD, Assassins Creed, Madden, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, etc

No one doubted that the Switch would get indies, AA Japanese titles, and multiplats very similar to Nintendo type gaming.

WiiU had a handful of AAA games due to being in the PS3/Xbox 360's power range while last gen was winding down. Even then it missed a ton of games that it absolutely could run without issue unlike stuff that is missing from the Switch.

The WiiU's western support went to shit immediately where as you are seeing the Switch's incrementally get better. And actually, it was really only in the first year you saw day and date multiplats. Afterwards they dried up with lightning speed.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Switch will be a greater success than the Wii even if GTA and COD never show up on it. It's really not even worth worrying about.

When people complain about 3rd party support on Nintendo machines....they mean a lack of timely AAA multiplats that sell very well on xbox/ps

Octopath Traveller and Mario+Rabbids and Hollow Knight are the exactly the Nintendo type gaming that always appears on Nintendo machines and always do relatively well.

That's the thing.. Ppl should look for and want 3rd party exclusives. Not worry about ports. And when they get them, expect compromises.

I know Octopath is a unique situation, but 3rd party exclusives was an underrated pro about the Wii.

I agree about the Wii U as far as 3rd party support so far. I remember someone tried to do a AAA port comparison between Vita and Switch. That didn't go the way they planned. I feel the same situation with the Wii U. As of right now, comparisons between the Switch and Wii U, I feel some are trying to dismiss 3rd party support on the Wii U for reasons.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I'm one of the last bastions of non-GTA5 owners, despite having a PC and Xbox One X. I would probably get GTA 5 on Switch.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is DMC 5 More demanding than doom eternal? Is it open world? I'm not port begging I'm just curious.
I don't even think Nier is more demanding.
I'm just really impressed with what the switch can do and want the boundaries explored.
Maybe will get a DF soon.
It's an apples and oranges comparison. Like I doubt anyone thinks Steep looks better than Doom but that was also canned for technical reasons. Not all games are created equal and just because they got Doom to run doesn't mean every game can run.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Grand Theft Auto isn't popular then you're living in a bubble. Hell they can release the older games like Vice City it would sell in droves. For the record I think GTA V Switch is totally a thing that will happen but all efforts are on Red Dead right now.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Grand Theft Auto isn't popular then you're living in a bubble. Hell they can release the older games like Vice City it would sell in droves. For the record I think GTA V Switch is totally a thing that will happen but all efforts are on Red Dead right now.
Given the choice between GTAV and Vice CIty, I'd choose Vice City in a heart beat.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
There's probably not many people that'd buy a Switch to play GTA V, but to say that Switch owners wouldn't buy GTA V is ridiculous.