• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I think my Smash prediction is like the most discussed prediction I made since I told everyone to keep their Switch expectations for last November in check and PS4 was "nuking from orbit"

When Smash Ultimate results come in its going to be either really fun or time to hide in a Fallout shelter until the dust settles
It's not really a bold prediction.
Smash Ultimate (for the kind of game it is and the platform health it is going to be released for) has a good chance to be the fastest selling Nintendo games for a Nintendo home console (or at least among the fastest selling ones).
Now if you had predicted that Smash Ultimate would overall sell 30M (worldwide) or be the best selling Switch game by the end of the platform cycle then that would be a bold prediction.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Why would it be a win situation for Nintendo?
The user would pay Microsoft for their streaming service to play multiple games on Nintendo hardware.
Nintendo allowed other publishers to stream their games on Nintendo consoles (like DQX on 3DS and RE7 on Switch) but those were single game affairs that would never cut into Nintendo profits.
Nintendo never allowed a streaming service of a library of games from Square Enix or Capcom.
How do you think Nintendo would react at the prospect of a buyer purchasing their hardware only to run another company streaming service to play all the games they need?

We are going toward a digital and service based future, the idea that Nintendo would give the key of their future to another company is silly.
On the contrary Nintendo should work hard to maximize their digital sales, they are still far behind.

QfLNKqh.jpg

Microsoft would stream content that Nintendo would never offer anyways. It wouldn't be competing with anything on a Nintendo machine.

People always complain Nintendo never gets any AAA multiplat support, never gets major Western gaming support, never has the hardware power to run them well....well, this would address that.

Getting more 3rd party support won't lower the number of Nintendo published software sells

I think my Smash prediction is like the most discussed prediction I made since I told everyone to keep their Switch expectations for last November in check and PS4 was "nuking from orbit"

It's ok, your metric of "biggest" is so vague anyways...it can be argued away no matter what :P

Are you talking in the US only?

Are you talking the most sold in the first 3 days? (Like how people highlight the 3.1 million GoW total in 3 days?)

Most sold on day 1?

Are you talking the most sold in 30 days?

You can't really compare NPD mont totals cause some huge Nintendo games launched the last 3 days of the month..

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft would stream content that Nintendo would never offer anyways. It wouldn't be competing with anything on a Nintendo machine.

People always complain Nintendo never gets any AAA multiplat support, never gets major Western gaming support, never has the hardware power to run them well....well, this would address that.

Getting more 3rd party support won't lower the number of Nintendo published software sells
I don't think you have understood my point.
Why should Nintendo accept a third-party gaming digital platform on their own consoles without profiting from it and controlling every games on it?
If Microsoft decide to publish their newest Halo XX game on Switch delivered by using their streaming technology, I can see Nintendo accepting the offer like they did with RE7 Cloud Edition in Japan (of course Nintendo would take a royalty on every Halo XX Switch Cloud Edition sold, a fee on every timed subscription fee needed to play the game sold, a fee on every DLCs sold for the Switch version).
In short this fictional Halo XX Switch Cloud Edition would be just like any other third-party game only with a different technology used to deliver it.

But I see no reason at all why Nintendo should accept a third-party gaming digital platform on their own consoles.
Same for Sony of course.
Both Sony and Nintendo like to have their own walled garden in which they are in full control of any content and from which they earn big profits.
The walls (the platform) aren't physical anymore but digital.

Last edited:

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
I don't think you have understood my point.
Why should Nintendo accept a third-party gaming digital platform on their own consoles without profiting from it and controlling every games on it?
If Microsoft decide to publish their newest Halo XX game on Switch delivered by using their streaming technology, I can see Nintendo accepting the offer like they did with RE7 Cloud Edition in Japan (of course Nintendo would take a royalty on every Halo XX Switch Cloud Edition sold, a fee on every timed subscription fee needed to play the game sold, a fee on every DLCs sold for the Switch version).
In short this fictional Halo XX Switch Cloud Edition would be just like any other third-party game only with a different technology used to deliver it.

But I see no reason at all why Nintendo should accept a third-party gaming digital platform on their own consoles.
Same for Sony of course.
Both Sony and Nintendo like to have their own walled garden in which they are in full control of any content and from which they earn big profits.
The walls (the platform) aren't physical anymore but digital.

Oh I see what your concern is...

I don't see why Nintendo can't get a cut of every game sold through Switch Xbox streaming just like any 3rd party game sold through eshop.

Do you see why they couldn't?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
We don't even have Netflix on Switch and you guys think that Nintendo would allow MS to run their streaming plattform on their console ...a direct competitor to their own eShop/retail revenue.

Come on....lol

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see why Nintendo can't get a cut of every game sold through Switch Xbox streaming just like any 3rd party game sold through eshop.

a) If it's anything like Gampass, you will not buy games from MS streaming service. You subscribe and you're offered a (big) library of games, you can't buy games individually.
b) How do you deal with multiplatform games? I mean the games available both on eshop and MS streaming service. Would Nintendo allow them? and if not would MS agree to removing games from their service?

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

Imo MS should do what Amazon does on phones with their Kindle app: make it impossible to buy anything via the app and condition the user to use the web store when they need to buy something. In this way, Apple and Google get zero revenue from sales. For Nintendo however, MS should make an exception and work something out with them so that Nintendo profits as well and both get a good value out of the deal.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
a) If it's anything like Gampass, you will not buy games from MS streaming service. You subscribe and you're offered a (big) library of games, you can't buy games individually.
b) How do you deal with multiplatform games? I mean the games available both on eshop and MS streaming service. Would Nintendo allow them? and if not would MS agree to removing games from their service?

A) it wouldn't be gamepass. I believe that's an Xbox only thing? Like the pc gets xboxlive access, not gamepass.

B) you could only stream games through Xbox cloud service that doesn't have a Switch version. I mean, that just seems logical. Of course Nintendo would allow it, its an avenue for gaming on the Switch that it wouldn't have otherwise. Why wouldn't Microsoft allow it? They wouldn't care if they couldn't sell FIFA through xboxlive on the Switch.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A) it wouldn't be gamepass. I believe that's an Xbox only thing? Like the pc gets xboxlive access, not gamepass.

B) you could only stream games through Xbox cloud service that doesn't have a Switch version. I mean, that just seems logical. Of course Nintendo would allow it, its an avenue for gaming on the Switch that it wouldn't have otherwise. Why wouldn't Microsoft allow it? They wouldn't care if they couldn't sell FIFA through xboxlive on the Switch.

a) I'm not saying it will be called Gamepass, what I'm saying it would be similar to gamepass or PSNow, you got library filled with games and you choose which one you want to stream. In other words you don't own these games, you rent them.
BTW there's PC on

b) Assuming the above, the library available on Switch will significantly smaller if we exclude multipats. That and getting less revenue (Nintendo 30% cut), wouldn't MS make happy about the whole idea.

Plus there are other interesting points like:
*How much 3rd dev/pubs get from games sold on Switch? Unless MS are willing to take a hit, devs should end up getting less revenue than when their game are sold directly on MS platforms. It gets even more interesting if the service is universal (One MS account in all platforms; cross-buy, cross-progress and all)
*What happens if a game had native Switch port afterward, would it be delisted? And if so do you have to buy it (kinda) again to be able to play it? Does progress even transfer?
*Would the games have Xbox achievement, or Nintendo (eventual) achievement?
*Do you need to buy XBLG to play MP games?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

When Smash Ultimate results come in its going to be either really fun or time to hide in a Fallout shelter until the dust settles

1. What was your prediction? I was super busy recently so i missed a lot of discussions
2. WTF is your new avatar O_o

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even have Netflix on Switch and you guys think that Nintendo would allow MS to run their streaming plattform on their console ...a direct competitor to their own eShop/retail revenue.

Come on....lol
I would imagine the reason for no Netflix has nothing to do with competition and there are numerous arrangements that can be made between MS and Nintendo to have the service be mutually beneficial for both parties. Say Nintendo got a cut of the subscription fee on Switch for instance, not mention Nintendo's driving force has always been selling their own software, not other parties, therefore a streaming service that got their device into more hands would only have a synergistic effect in driving their software sales.

and this.,

Wait, someone is saying GTA V doesn't sell consoles? I think GTA V is currently the main seller of PS4's, looking at the numbers of GTA V compared to console sales. For the Switch it can do similar things, especially considering the portable aspect which fits extremly well with GTA V.

And in terms of GTA V sales alone, could definitly get to the same level of Mario Kart on the Switch.
Take Two has to be looking at the fact that a relatively niche Switch third party game just won the whole damn month and are probably questioning their resolve as to how long they can possiblly hold out on GTAV Switch.

It's becoming too big to ignore.

Last edited:

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
a) I'm not saying it will be called Gamepass, what I'm saying it would be similar to gamepass or PSNow, you got library filled with games and you choose which one you want to stream. In other words you don't own these games, you rent them.
BTW there's PC on

Right...but I don't see why Nintendo couldn't get a cut of that access like they do from any 3rd party game appearing on the platform

b) Assuming the above, the library available on Switch will significantly smaller if we exclude multipats. That and getting less revenue (Nintendo 30% cut), wouldn't MS make happy about the whole idea.

Microsoft is getting access to having its games and gaming service on a portable console...something they won't have otherwise. Pc isn't that. Laptops aren't really that. iPads and phones isn't really that either.

This is an added revenue stream, despite any cut Nintendo would require.

And you aren't excluding multiplats. The only Xbox live cloud streaming games you are excluding are games that have a Physical/eshops Switch version. There is relatively very little overlap in this area. They will be games Nintendo wasn't getting on its platform anyways.

Plus there are other interesting points like:
*How much 3rd dev/pubs get from games sold on Switch? Unless MS are willing to take a hit, devs should end up getting less revenue than when their game are sold directly on MS platforms. It gets even more interesting if the service is universal (One MS account in all platforms; cross-buy, cross-progress and all)

Devs/pubs would get the same money as they would being streamed through the Xbox streaming box.

The deal between Microsoft and Nintendo would be incentivized beyond that. Outside of that.

*What happens if a game had native Switch port afterward, would it be delisted? And if so do you have to buy it (kinda) again to be able to play it? Does progress even transfer?

By the time a game appears on Xbox cloud streaming service...everyone involved is going to know if there are any plans for a native Switch port of a game.

*Would the games have Xbox achievement, or Nintendo (eventual) achievement?
*Do you need to buy XBLG to play MP games?

I dunno, if I had to guess, the cloud based streaming version that Microsoft would place on Switch would be Switch ecosystem specific.

I get there are concerns to be ironed out, but it's entirely conceivable. You act like a Sony exec saying "why would Microsoft and Nintendo allow crossplay of their games..I don't get it!"

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
MS and Nintendo probably will join forces on streaming to some extent.

I think the writing has been on the wall for a while.

I mean, I would have never expected something like this but here we are:

Last edited:

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right...but I don't see why Nintendo couldn't get a cut of that access like they do from any 3rd party game appearing on the platform

Yes, they'll get a cut but it will significantly less than even one single indie game sold through eshop.
1 Subscription ($10/month which have 100s of games) vs 1 indie game ($15-$20), which this subscription will be competing with Switch games all while Nintendo taking less revenue. Effectively the subscription act like it's one single small game while even though it's actually 100s of games.

Of course, "competing" would assume streaming work well enough that Switch owners will use it frequently. If not, then sure I agree with you that the deal would be beneficial to both Nintendo and MS.

Microsoft is getting access to having its games and gaming service on a portable console...something they won't have otherwise. Pc isn't that. Laptops aren't really that. iPads and phones isn't really that either.

This is an added revenue stream, despite any cut Nintendo would require.

Yet we don't see MS porting their games to Switch, it's added revenue stream, right? Reality is MS has to consider opportunity costs. Just because something will get you money, doesn't mean you have to pursue it, you must consider if there are other option you can act on that will get more ROI. With limited library on Switch, the chances are other platforms (PC/Mobile) without restrictions will have more subscribers.

Then you have to consider that allowing the service on Switch may negatively affect the sales and the growth of Xbox streaming console. It's the reason why MS (and many other pubs) don't have their games on Steam (or port them much later); The revenue from Steam might be bigger but it will may harm the growth of their own store.

Having said that, I don't think MS will be against the idea if Nintendo got say 20% cut instead of 30%, or if they get some good incentives.

And you aren't excluding multiplats. The only Xbox live cloud streaming games you are excluding are games that have a Physical/eshops Switch version. There is relatively very little overlap in this area. They will be games Nintendo wasn't getting on its platform anyways.

This is the part I think you got wrong, by 2020 most of games on MS service will be indies not AAA games, so the overlap won't be small.

I won't discuss the other stuff in your post since I agree with you, they're just minor stuff and not deal breakers, they are somewhat easy to iron out once there's understanding between MS &Nintendo.

Last edited:

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
MS could potentially get their service on 100 million plus new devices, Nintendo would get a substantial amount of new games. So much benefit for both parties.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
microsoft should never give in to nintendo's begging for xbox streaming services on switch. they would unnecessarily give away their unique head start into the undebatable future of gaming and, at the same time, risk a strong negative effect on xbox hardware sales, especially on the asian market where nintendo seems to be catching up lately.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
My best guess is that they tried to get it to run on Switch but it didn't meet their performance goals for whatever reason. If Capcom was testing out a new streaming service that'd be one thing but they're not it's just this one game on this one console.

Is this a stealth lazy devs post?

And holy shit the denial is deep. I can't believe you all are seriously arguing these games which are probably pushing current gen consoles because look at them can run on the Switch and I don't think anybody is expecting them too. I'm done you all are tripping.

That stuff is not unreasonable and it's not like they can't do more but this idea that the Switch can run DMC 5 is insane to me and that's the issue I've been taking. The Switch has been out for more than a year and we have a good idea of what can or can't run.

Talking specifically about RE7, nothing suggest that RE7 is demanding game (and engine) and that couldnt run on Switch, we talking about game that runs at 1080p/60fps even on base XB1 (Doom for instance most of time runs at 830p on base XB1), and even in VR mode, so game could definatly run at probably 720p-900p/30fps on Switch.
So most likly for some reason for now they didnt want to invest in RE7 port for Switch and instead they testing how cloud games could work on Switch instead giving resources for full port process.

Point that some game isnt coming on Switch doenst mean that game cant run on Switch, I mean Capcoms games (along side RE7) like Disney Collection, Devil May Cry HD Collection, RE1/RE0/RE4/RE5/RE6 remasters...that are not still announced dont point they cant run on Switch, but that points that we clearly talking about Capcom's resources, priorities, will...towards Switch support.

Every current game could be ported to Switch, only qustion is how big cutbacks would need to be. I mean CoD games from PS3/360 were ported to Wii and we talking about much smaller difrence in any case going from Switch to XB1/PS4 than going from Wii to PS3/360.
Yes Switch is around 1.5 years on market, but of course we still didn't hit ceiling of Switch capabilities, devs buy time can take more from hardware than they could in first year or two, I am pretty sure buy time we will have more impressive Switch ports than Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and now Doom Eternal.