• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SOFTWARE

"Six of the top 10 best-selling video games of July 2019 are Nintendo platform exclusives," said Piscatella.

In addition to Fire Emblem, the June release Super Mario Maker 2 finished at No. 3. Meanwhile, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3 — The Black Order, a Switch exclusive, was No. 4.
  1. Madden NFL 20^**
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses*
  3. Super Mario Maker 2*
  4. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order*
  5. Minecraft***
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  8. Mortal Kombat 11
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  11. Marvel's Spider-Man
  12. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII**
  14. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
  15. Red Dead Redemption II
  16. Tom Clancy's The Division 2**
  17. MLB 19: The Show
  18. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  19. NBA 2K19
  20. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
*Does not include digital sales
**Does not include PC digital sales
***Minecraft digital sales include Xbox One and PlayStation 4

Top 10 best-selling games of the year
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division 2**
  4. Anthem**
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Madden NFL 20**
  9. Days Gone
  10. MLB 19: The Show
Top 10 best-selling games over the last 12 months
  1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4**
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man
  6. Madden NFL 19**
  7. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  8. Mortal Kombat 11
  9. FIFA 19**
  10. Battlefield V**
Xbox One (July 2019 NPD)
  1. Madden NFL 20
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Minecraft
  4. Forza Horizon 4
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  7. Mortal Kombat 11
  8. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  9. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
PlayStation 4 (July 2019 NPD)
  1. Madden NFL 20
  2. Minecraft
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. MLB 19: The Show
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  7. Mortal Kombat 11
  8. Days Gone
  9. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
  10. Red Dead Redemption II
Nintendo Switch (July 2019 NPD)
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses*
  2. Super Mario Maker 2*
  3. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order*
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  5. Mario Kart 8*
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  7. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  8. Super Mario Party*
  9. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee*
  10. Super Mario Odyssey*
Nintendo 3DS (July 2019 NPD)
  1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun*
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon*
  3. Super Mario Maker*
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D*
  5. Detective Pikachu*
  6. Super Mario 3D Land*
  7. Super Smash Bros.*
  8. Luigi's Mansion*
  9. Mario Kart 7*
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D*

HARDWARE

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in July, but overall hardware sales were down big-time. Industry-tracking firm The NPD Group released its July report today, and it confirms that U.S. consumers are looking ahead.

"Nintendo Switch was once again the best-selling hardware platform of July and remains 2019's hardware sales leader," said Piscatella.

"The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller was July 2019's best-selling accessory," said Piscatella. "The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Black remains the year's leading seller.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Congrats to Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Super Mario Maker 2, & Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3!

I assume that's good for MUA3 (even under the month-old SMM2, which likely had great legs), right?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm happy Three Houses was a hit, never really played the other FE games but I love Three Houses and want FE games to continue.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds as though MUA3 sold well in the Us at least. That's encouraging.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's strong performance on the hardware and software front is supremely impressive. Talent continues to win.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Why did BOTW get legs for days while Super Mario Odyssey fell off sooner?

Evergreen
No I mean, Minecraft will continue to sell until the end of time, but I don't remember it being that high in previous months

PewDiePie's channel has been posting Minecraft all month long and lots of other YouTubers followed.

It's cool for gamers too again now.

That's explain why I get some Minecraft recommendations now and then again in YT

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean not exactly surprising as there was nothing else big out on PS4 and Xbox except madden.
Yes, that's the reason Switch outsold PS4 and Xbox One

Is MUA3 being 4th good news for it? Normally I'd assume so, but it doesn't hurt to be sure.
It's pretty great. Like, it's not going to set the charts on fire, but it was never going to. This is good performance for what by all accounts was a lower budget effort (and had a more high profile launch on the same system in release month, to boot).

Apr 21, 2018
I'm interested to see how Fire Emblem and MUA3 did exactly.

Also interested to know, even though we probably never will, how much digital affected those games sales. The voucher program seems to have an impact on FE's sales in Japan.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Curse Madden coming out a week early. Fire Emblem actually could've taken the month. What a time we live on.

Did call the order of the top 3 Switch exclusives, so that's nice for me at least.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did BOTW get legs for days while Super Mario Odyssey fell off sooner?
I had a theory about this, and it comes down to the insane difference in word of mouth.
Why has Breath of the Wild managed to have longer legs than Mario? It's "this is the greatest game ever made" versus "this is a really cool Mario game", better critical reception (game of the year, and universally praised as a landmark game, versus being called the best Mario game of all time, and just Zelda being a far more appealing game to modern audiences, what with being a big open world action-RPG style title.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last time Madden failed to hit #1 in release month was all the back when Final Fantasy 8 launched.

Nothing beats Madden now.
Yup haha. Makes me wish Madden had launched in August, it would have been worth it to see an RPG take the #1 spot.
What's your take on Fire Emblem, Mario Maker, and Marvel's performance?

Oct 27, 2017
For a game that I feel like I rarely heard people talking about up until release, I'm surprised to see Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 be such a success. Definitely deserved though, it's a great game.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I had a theory about this, and it comes down to the insane difference in word of mouth.
Why has Breath of the Wild managed to have longer legs than Mario? It's "this is the greatest game ever made" versus "this is a really cool Mario game", better critical reception (game of the year, and universally praised as a landmark game, versus being called the best Mario game of all time, and just Zelda being a far more appealing game to modern audiences, what with being a big open world action-RPG style title.
Also there are multiple Mario games on the platform and one Zelda game. That's important

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a game that I feel like I rarely heard people talking about up until release, I'm surprised to see Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 be such a success. Definitely deserved though, it's a great game.
Strong word of mouth, multiplayer, positive impressions, and also the Marvel brand. It was going to end up doing well, just how well was the thing that was in question.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if Switch was up yoy despite the global hardware sales beeing significantly down yoy?