• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games industry brought in $1.08 billion in June, up 25 percent year-over-year, according to the industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. Nintendo's Mario Tennis Aces made quite a racket when it debuted on June 22, shooting up to become the best-selling title of the month. The popularity of multiplayer games like Epic's Fortnite continued to contribute to high sales in the accessories category, which was up 38 percent.

"Year-to-date sales of both headsets and gamepads have achieved all-time record highs for a June tracking period," NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. "The previous year-to-date high spending for headsets occurred in 2010, and for gamepads in 2016."

Software
  1. Mario Tennis Aces*
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. The Crew 2
  5. Far Cry 5
  6. Mario Kart 8*
  7. LEGO Incredibles
  8. FIFA 18**
  9. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  10. Detroit: Become Human
  11. Super Mario Odyssey*
  12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  13. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  14. NBA 2K18
  15. Call of Duty: WWII
  16. MLB 18: The Show
  17. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  18. Vampyr*
  19. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze*
  20. State of Decay 2
*No digital sales included
**No PC digital sales included

Nintendo won big as the month's top publisher, even without The NPD Group tracking digital sales from its eShop. When Mario Tennis Aces debuted on June 22, it instantly set a record as Nintendo's best-selling tennis game in terms of first-month sales and climbed to No. 1 on June's best-sellers chart.

"Nintendo Switch was the only platform that produced software sales growth in June, with dollar sales more than doubling those of June 2017," said Piscatella. "Year-to-date software sales on Nintendo Switch are also more than double those of a year ago."

Santa Monica Studio's God of War 2018 continues its reign at the top of the charts, sitting at No. 2 of June's best-sellers as well as 2018's top games overall. Action games have had a good year so far, and sales for titles in that category are up 30 percent year-to-date.

Folks spent $350 million on hardware in June, thanks mainly to the battle royale sensation Fortnite. Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console and remains the top platform year-to-date, but Microsoft and Nintendo also saw their sales increase. Year-over-year, Xbox One made almost twice and the Switch sold more than 50 percent. Nintendo also sold the most consoles with its NES Classic.

"This is the first time a Nintendo Entertainment System console has led in monthly unit sales since NPD tracking began in 1995," said Piscatella.

SOURCE

INDIVIDUAL CHARTS

Xbox One
  1. The Crew 2
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. State of Decay 2
  5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  6. FIFA 18
  7. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Call of Duty: WWII
  10. Lego Incredibles
PlayStation 4
  1. God of War 2018
  2. Detroit: Become Human
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. FIFA 18
  5. The Crew 2
  6. MLB 18: The Show
  7. Far Cry 5
  8. Vampyr*
  9. Lego Incredibles
  10. Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nintendo Switch (physical only)
  1. Mario Tennis Aces
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  6. Lego Incredibles
  7. Splatoon 2
  9. Kirby Star Allies
  10. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Ed
Nintendo 3DS
  1. Pokémon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokémon: Ultra Moon
  3. Mario Kart 7
  4. Super Smash Bros.
  5. Super Mario 3D Land
  6. Detective Pikachu
  7. Minecraft
  8. Mario Party: The Top 100
  9. Super Mario Maker
  10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The best-selling games of 2018 so far
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. NBA 2K18
  9. MLB 18: The Show
  10. Super Mario Odyssey*
The best-selling games over the last 12 months
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2**
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Super Mario Odyssey*
  6. Far Cry 5
  7. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017**
  8. Grand Theft Auto V
  9. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  10. God of War 2018

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
PS4 > Switch > Xbox One, naturally.

And God of War being second in its third full month, is absolutely incredible!

PlayStation 4?
Switch 322.5K (50% of 215K)
Xbox One 296-300K ("made almost twice" as much as last June)

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
2525134-gj4tz.gif

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Good Christ, Mario Tennis.

Guess that's where 1.4 mil lands you.

And good on God of War. Love seeing big single-player games like that keep their hold.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the predictions thread

Another month following the 2018 trend of "Everyone is doing great"

We have one healthy industry atm

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As I've said in the other thread, GoW's hold is amazing, Detroit seems to be good too, SoD2 on the other hand fell really hard.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Tennis must've done some damn good numbers to be number one without digital.

Looks like everyone is winning.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very impressed with Xbox's growth over last year. It's been a pretty good 2018 for them in NA.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the second month in a row now the game I least expected took the top charts between State of Decay 2 and now Mario Tennis.
What's going on? Is the NPD rigged? Are the Russians interfering?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Colour me just a little bit surprised that Mario Tennis Aces is at the top; don't get me wrong, it's a fairly good game and I'm having fun with it... but man, I guess I just wasn't expecting it to sell as well as it did.

Oct 27, 2017
PUBG out of the top 20 for the first time. Still #5 on the Xbox One chart though.

No surprise about God of War but Detroit being in the top 10 for the second month (even a slow one) is really nice.

PS4 #1 for June was a given after the huge quarterly results from Sony. My guess is it leads the pack by a significant margin.

July and August are going to be so uneventful however T_T Going to sleep until the crazyness begins in September.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 #1 (current gen) hardware and two Sony 1st party games in the top 10. Great.

And man, my boy Kratos is a monster. Again #2 for the month. Some crazy legs! Crazy!

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
GTAV sales will never cease to amaze me
Mario Tennis Aces was a BEAST
And it's great that everyone is doing great, hopefully this success continues into next gen

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
"This is the first time a Nintendo Entertainment System console has led in monthly unit sales since NPD tracking began in 1995," said Piscatella.
Heh. I still need to pick one up. This restock was much bigger than I was expecting, which is nice since I forgot about it by the time it happened.

It's interesting to watch Mario and Zelda flip-flop. GTA continues to blow my mind.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to see what Camelot does for Mario Tennis Aces 2.

Because the sales have been great, but the Era reaction to how low budget ish (with the lack of content and seemingly terrible pre-release playtesting) it is has been extremely negative. And I can't imagine lack of content or options or balance is something general consumers (who play multiplayer all the time and want tons of content) is popular either. Maybe they'll hire more people for Mario Tennis Switch 2

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
To be so sure Fortnite is driving hardware sales, I guess NPD must have some survey on retailers and/or consumers...?

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how Mario Tennis Aces compares to Splatoon 2's launch, wouldn't be surprised if it sold more.

I'm curious to see what Camelot does for Mario Tennis Aces 2.

Because the sales have been great, but the Era reaction to how low budget ish (with the lack of content and seemingly terrible pre-release playtesting) it is has been extremely negative. And I can't imagine lack of content or options or balance is something general consumers (who play multiplayer all the time and want tons of content) is popular either. Maybe they'll hire more people for Mario Tennis Switch 2

I'd be surprised if a big update isn't announced during the next direct. Outside of MK8D majority of multiplayer games have received several big updates - Splatoon 2, Arms, Snipperclips, Kirby. I'd expect MTA to end up with more sales than Arms and Camelot to be updating it for a while before moving all resources to their next game.

Crazy to see Minecraft chart on the PS4 chart but not on the Switch one during its launch month... must have done really well on the PS4 this month.

Nintendo Switch (physical only)
  1. Mario Tennis Aces
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  6. Lego Incredibles
  7. Splatoon 2
  9. Kirby Star Allies
  10. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Ed

Last edited: