• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprises:

- Tennis Aces - I mean... no digital and still #1, best selling game in genre ever. Ain't too shabby.
- NES Classic at #1 in Units - What a world.
- God of War - Never would have expected a single-player, non complete open world game be this strong for this long
- Hardware - Up massively, while software's been flat. Hi Fortnite. Promotions in June were great too, especially Days of Play
- Portable - HW up YoY is a big surprise as well

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything about Switch and Nintendo in 2018 makes it seem like they haven't been trying to push more hardware. This should've been the year where they made a statement and continued to top charts.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My observations:
  • God of War's legs are fucking amazing. It's basically behaving like a Nintendo game at this point
  • GTA5 continues to be a beast
  • What the fuck at Mario Tennis, that was amazing. Although I guess 1.4 million in eight days basically all but ensured that
  • The legs on Mario and Zelda are amazing
  • PS4 sales are fan-fucking-tastic; Switch and Xbox One growth is heartening to see
  • I'm giggling so hard at NES topping the charts

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
GTAV is #3 on the chart and #1 digitally 4 months before RDR2 launches. Good shot both will be in the top 10 come October.

what a fucking legendary run.

Oct 25, 2017

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So clarify, was the NES Classic the best selling console or the PS4?

Reading this:
Folks spent $350 million on hardware in June, thanks mainly to the battle royale sensation Fortnite. Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console and remains the top platform year-to-date

Makes me thing it was the PS4, but I am also kinda confused.

Edit. Clarified by Mat:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Surprises:

- Tennis Aces - I mean... no digital and still #1, best selling game in genre ever. Ain't too shabby.
- God of War - Never would have expected a single-player, non complete open world game be this strong for this long
- Hardware - Up massively, while software's been flat. Hi Fortnite. Promotions in June were great too, especially Days of Play

It's great to see the industry doing so well...and throwing up some interesting surprises too.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Folks spent $350 million on hardware in June, thanks mainly to the battle royale sensation Fortnite. Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console and remains the top platform year-to-date, but Microsoft and Nintendo also saw their sales increase. Year-over-year, Xbox One made almost twice and the Switch sold more than 50 percent. Nintendo also sold the most consoles with its NES Classic.

"This is the first time a Nintendo Entertainment System console has led in monthly unit sales since NPD tracking began in 1995," said Piscatella.

This is the most confusing set of sentences ever.

You see "Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console" and then "Nintendo also sold the most consoles with its NES Classic"

I'm guessing it means that the PS4+PS4 Pro combined is #1 while the NES Classic outsold both of them separately on a SKU basis? Or does it mean that the PS4/Pro contributed to the largest software spend for hardware?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_p5ampe4OUG1u4yqfao1_500.gif

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sony is going to take a hit in revenue for July considering the PS4 Pro is having shortages for some odd reason.

I'm almost not really shocked the NES Classic was #1 in terms of units, they were going to sell 100% of whatever the shipped.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Portable - HW up YoY is a big surprise as well
Just so I am clear, Switch isn't counted here, right? I assume the growth was all led by 3DS, then?

This bit is tripping me up: "Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console and remains the top platform year-to-date."

I didn't know if they were separating the different PS4 SKUs like they did in the previous months with NES Classic just being one SKU.
I believe that might just be referring to the current gen crop? I may be wrong.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Thought Xbox might take the month given great deals during E3. Still, near double is a very nice increase.

Might edit this out but not seeing where it says PS4 is up YoY, just the other 2?

Edit: I guess this sentence. Not ironclad wording that PS4 is up IMO, but likely

Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console and remains the top platform year-to-date, but Microsoft and Nintendo also saw their sales increase.

Basically hinges on that "also".

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sounds like another killer month for everyone. Really impressed with God of War and Detroit. Also, feel like MLB is one of Sony's secret big successes. Always good sales and reviews, even if it doesn't get much talk on here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Great for PS4 being the top system, but I expect July and August to be lackluster for the platform leading up to a monstrous September

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most confusing set of sentences ever.

You see "Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console" and then "Nintendo also sold the most consoles with its NES Classic"

I'm guessing it means that the PS4+PS4 Pro combined is #1 while the NES Classic outsold both of them separately on a SKU basis? Or does it mean that the PS4/Pro contributed to the largest software spend for hardware?
PS4 generated more revenue (since it's more expensive), NES sold the most units. It's not complicated lol

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
NES #1 in 2018. We are through the looking glass!!!

Mario Tennis, good gawd

PS4 is, well, PS4. The dominator.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War is this generation's masterpiece. It deserve all the sales it can get.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the NES Classic sales can be attributed to scalpers trying to stock up for a projected supply drought come the holidays?