• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's really impressive that the x has a similar ratio as the pro, i assumed the x would be niche considering it's price and late entry

Well X and Pro are both niche, lol.

SalesERA is at its best when we can pass on information that brings light to the whole process. Better understanding => better discussion. (^_^)

Yeah, I think we all appreciate the knowledge and insight the ppl in the know bring to the discussions.

This does help me understand why I was waiting for 3D World to get cheaper for so long, lol. By the time I was going to get it, didn't have a Wii U anymore.

I just gotta get Nintendo games, not worry about the price. It's just harder when I don't get the game at launch. It also makes sense why GTA V was at the top of PSN charts. It's the first time in 80 years it's been under 30 dollars.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
3DS quarterly results were pretty poor though. It's up hw wise in the US, but not much else is happening

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's literally only Sony that's doing this, it's more like Sony gonna Sony.
I wasn't only talking about this situation with that statement. Amazon has consistently been getting worse over the years in several ways.

And yeah, this isn't a Sony only thing either. Amazon has had situations like this with various companies.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
3DS quarterly results were pretty poor though. It's up hw wise in the US, but not much else is happening

It's still selling well enough to justify a retail presence but the numbers are not good enough to justify any new 3DS releases or throwing any real support behind the system. It's been 7 years. It's just coasting now.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Nope. Publishers either do price protection, which refunds to the retailer the full wholesale cost of the retailer dropping the price for all units in that retailers inventory, or a publisher will pay a back end rebate if a retailer drops the price temporarily wherein the retailer reports how many units sold on the temporary price drop and the publisher refunds the price difference to the retailers for those units.

It is often only in the very rare cases of final liquidation or when a publisher goes out of business that a retailer will take a cost hit for a price drop.

Of course the retailer can do whatever they want with price and take a margin hit if they so choose.
Well, you learn something new every day

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
No one said it was higher or lower.

Saying 'ratios are similar' can be taken to mean 'one is higher than the other but not significantly so.'

There have been a number of posters in previous NPD & other thresds who have made claims about X1X selling in higher volume than Pro, which even with this years growth for X1 family would require a gap of at least 10-15% above the ~20% the Pro/Base ratio is for Sony.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Remember a few years back when people were predicting the end of consoles?

lol

Well, console gaming as we know it will end eventually...so it's easy to predict that :P

But yea, I guess I a lot of people were predicting a more sudden death than the continued slow one.

Looking at the past 10 years, the userbase for dedicated console gaming isn't expanding/growing...it is contracting.

The good news here for the industry is that the remaining userbase market is dedicated enough to still spend a lot on dedicated gaming hardware and software...and publishers/console manufacturers have become inventive in figuring out ways to sell more hardware to the same user and get more money from the user for gaming...since they cant increase revenue simply from selling to an expanding customer base.

No, console gaming isn't dead. But it isn't necessarily healthy either. It's a definitely an over-the-hill industry as a whole :P

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well, console gaming as we know it will end eventually...so it's easy to predict that :P

But yea, I guess I a lot of people were predicting a more sudden death than the continued slow one.

Looking at the past 10 years, the userbase for dedicated console gaming isn't expanding/growing...it is contracting.

The good news here for the industry is that the remaining userbase market is dedicated enough to still spend a lot on dedicated gaming hardware and software...and publishers/console manufacturers have become inventive in figuring out ways to sell more hardware to the same user and get more money from the user for gaming...since they cant increase revenue simply from selling to an expanding customer base.

No, console gaming isn't dead. But it isn't necessarily healthy either. It's a definitely an over-the-hill industry as a whole :P

No, the industry is absolutely healthy. I don't understand how in the world you could argue otherwise.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
I could see a situation where Nintendo is happy with shipment number (1.4 million is pretty ok I think) but the reason you see retailers not thrilled is sell through isnt close to that.

So that's where you get the diverging expectations. Nintendo more than likely shipped what they wanted, but retailers have not been able to move that volume.

This is the most accurate.

Labo sold to Nintendo's expectations, but retailers had much higher sales expectations for a $70+ DIY toy in April/May that Nintendo didn't even advertise lol

I think unloading 1.4 million of these in 10 weeks during the dog days of May and June is pretty darn good.

Maybe people are just upset Nintendo shipped too many on April 20th? I swear people get upset if Nintendo ships too little of a product and when they ship too much lol

I wonder how many Labo Kits have to sell before people will stop "concern" posting and stop saying it's a failure...3 million? 5 million?

Guess this will be discussed better after the holiday I'm sure!

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't categorize either Pro or X as niche in regards to the percentage of hardware that they move.

Not the majority? Of course not, but they are far from niche. It's a healthy portion of units sold

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Dont waste your time. That poster literally comes in with the same schtick every single month in NPD threads

I had no idea that ¨telling it like it is ¨ is considered a shtick. I would think that saying ¨Everyone´s doing great cause everyone´s doing great (and Fortnite!!!)¨ each month would be closer to that.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that ¨telling it like it is ¨ is considered a shtick. I would think that saying ¨Everyone´s doing great cause everyone´s doing great (and Fortnite!!!)¨ each month would be closer to that.

I mean you dont "tell it like it is", and almost no one in here thinks you do as far as I'm aware. You essentially come in every month and talk about how Xbox performance is poor month in and month out no matter the result.

I pretty much never get confrontational with anyone in these threads, and this is the last time I'm responding to you on it, but if you aren't adding anything to the conversation dont be surprised when people dont really engage with you on it. I'm sure you are a great person and dont take the criticism personally.

If this was last years performance Xbox hardware results would absolutely be worth criticism. But it just feels pretty weak to be talking about that in 2018.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean you dont "tell it like it is", and almost no one in here thinks you do as far as I'm aware. You essentially come in every month and talk about how Xbox performance is poor month in and month out no matter the result.

I pretty much never get confrontational with anyone in these threads, and this is the last time I'm responding to you on it, but if you aren't adding anything to the conversation dont be surprised when people dont really engage with you on it. I'm sure you are a great person and dont take the criticism personally.

If this was last years performance Xbox hardware results would absolutely be worth criticism. But it just feels pretty weak to be talking about that in 2018.

No need to get emotional over this, these are large, financially stable corporations we discuss here each month. Next, I absolutely am not saying Microsoft´s performance is poor. I would like to see it better though, as a fan of the Xbox platform.

I really just see it as easy to explain. These are the first months of their midgen platform and they cut the MSRP of the platform each month so they are yielding better numbers than sales numbers that you admit were very bad last year. The thing is, nearly the same tactic every month is used. I do not see it is a stable way to drive interest in Xbox honestly, and I do not know how any analyst or enthusiast could think it is.

I mean imagine if Nintendo and Sony did the same? Xbox´s numbers would be much, much farther away if the Switch and PS4 were nearly always on sale. Yet those two platforms focus on key software titles to generate consumer interest so they truly do not have to.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's still selling well enough to justify a retail presence but the numbers are not good enough to justify any new 3DS releases or throwing any real support behind the system. It's been 7 years. It's just coasting now.

At this point there's not much else they can do. They've pushed 3DS pretty hard and for a long time at that. I'm kinda expecting some new additions to the Nintendo Select line to maybe help maintain momentum and maybe a few more Limited Editions but they've done a good job squeezing what they could out of the 3DS.

Edit: maintain the little momentum it has in NA.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Sure. It's been up YoY quite a bit this year thanks to Pokemon and Let's Go should keep that interest high for sun and moon. Probably another couple years at least really.

Mind blown

I don't think I remember any piece of hardware in history that had a decent-to-good retail presence in its last 2 years that didn't receive a major hardware-selling game for 2 years.

I suppose PS2 and Wii were like that but even those were getting the FIFAs and WII is still receiving Just Dance.

3DS isn't getting anything, literally. Nothing

or what games could possible release on 3DS in 2019?? EOX and PQ2 are the only games that come to find and I doubt people will even look at them.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need to get emotional over this, these are large, financially stable corporations we discuss here each month. Next, I absolutely am not saying Microsoft´s performance is poor. I would like to see it better though, as a fan of the Xbox platform.

I really just see it as easy to explain. These are the first months of their midgen platform and they cut the MSRP of the platform each month so they are yielding better numbers than sales numbers that you admit were very bad last year. The thing is, nearly the same tactic every month is used. I do not see it is a stable way to drive interest in Xbox honestly, and I do not know how any analyst or enthusiast could think it is.

I mean imagine if Nintendo and Sony did the same? Xbox´s numbers would be much, much farther away if the Switch and PS4 were nearly always on sale. Yet those two platforms focus on key software titles to generate consumer interest so they truly do not have to.

I still believe are looking at this overly negative. Xbox isnt simply mildly up YoY. They are significantly up and on pace for their best year this entire generation. That's a very, very good performance and it doesnt come strictly down to only being about deals. They've ran deals and have been cheaper than the competition essentially this entire generation other than their blunder in pricing at launch.

Initiatives like Game Pass, are having real world impacts on hardware sales. I'm not just theorizing this, I've seen data to corroborate it. Xbox will not outsell its competitors this generation, that was decided long ago so I dont even really see why so much conversation still goes on around it. It's the most boring one to have about the state of the hardware industry because it's going to be the same conclusion every single time. Sony and Nintendo will both handily outsell the Xbox platform.

The discussion that is much more pertaining and interesting, is whether the brand itself is healthy and moving into a sustainable and profitable platform. The answer of which is yes. Something that again was in serious doubt just a year or 2 ago.

The growth seen in the Xbox brand this year isn't mild. It's a serious turn around.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw I apologize for getting in a bit of an argument in the thread. I know no one really likes to read that stuff and I dont feel particularly good about myself either when I get confrontational in them.

Sorry everyone

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean I dont disagree with much of that, other than you I still believe are looking this overly negative. Xbox isnt simply mildly up YoY. They are significantly up and on pace for their best year this entire generation. That's a very, very good performance and it doesnt come sticky down to only being about deals. They've ran deals and have been cheaper than the competition essentially this entire generation other than their blunder in pricing at launch.

Initiatives like Game Pass, are having real world impacts on hardware sales. I'm not just theorizing this, I've seen data to corroborate it. Xbox will not outsell its competitors this generation, that's was decided long ago so I dont even really see why so much conversation still goes on around it. It's the most boring one to have about the state of the hardware industry because it's going to be the same conclusion every si goe time. Sony and Nintendo will both handily outsell the Xbox platform.

The discussion that is much more pertaining and interesting, is whether the brand itself is healthy and moving into a sustainable and profitable platform. The answer of which is yes. Something that again was in serious doubt just a year or 2 ago.

The growth seen in the Xbox brand this year isn't mild. It's a serious turn around.

I´m just not convinced, and this is because I have seen so many excuses for a financial titan like MS all this gen as if it they were some start-up in the gaming industry trying to get their act together. Things were never even so bad for them, they just fumbled on making the Xbox One a compelling platform as the competition is. And there have been many times where thy have come close to the PS4 in the U.S., but there seemed to have always been some inane reason or excuse given for why it wasn´t doing as well even with all the marketing incentives.

A popular one was ¨People are waiting for Project Scorpio, once that hits MS will take the lead in NA¨ and we have seen that it is still struggling even with monthly price cuts. It is not a great sign to see that they are still relying on such a crutch even with all their efforts.

Things look better this year, I mean how could they not with the X and all the price cuts? But the sales they yield with all their efforts just do not seem substantial with all they have to do to produce them each month.

Its disappointing to me that MS couldnt even get the top spot despite securing nearly every third party trailer at their conference and announcing so many things like studio acquisitions and new console exclusives.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't only talking about this situation with that statement. Amazon has consistently been getting worse over the years in several ways.

And yeah, this isn't a Sony only thing either. Amazon has had situations like this with various companies.

The fact that you can't preorder RDR2 on Amazon is crazy to me. That has to be a million copies not being shipped day 1 by Amazon. With Prime free shipping and their 20% discount I can see how Amazon probably takes a loss with every preorder.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Your posts are starting to get pretty transparent now.

yeah I think your just screwing around now

Yep, exactly.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I´m just not convinced, and this is because I have seen so many excuses for a financial titan like MS all this gen as if it they were some start-up in the gaming industry trying to get their act together. Things were never even so bad for them, they just fumbled on making the Xbox One a compelling platform as the competition is. And there have been many times where thy have come close to the PS4 in the U.S., but there seemed to have always been some inane reason or excuse given for why it wasn´t doing as well even with all the marketing incentives.

A popular one was ¨People are waiting for Project Scorpio, once that hits MS will take the lead in NA¨ and we have seen that it is still struggling even with monthly price cuts. It is not a great sign to see that they are still relying on such a crutch even with all their efforts.

Things look better this year, I mean how could they not with the X and all the price cuts? But the sales they yield with all their efforts just do not seem substantial with all they have to do to produce them each month.

Its disappointing to me that MS couldnt even get the top spot despite securing nearly every third party trailer at their conference and announcing so many things like studio acquisitions and new console exclusives.
You don't need to be first to be a winner.
And in some cases it is possible that you are the loser despite being first.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mind blown

I don't think I remember any piece of hardware in history that had a decent-to-good retail presence in its last 2 years that didn't receive a major hardware-selling game for 2 years.

I suppose PS2 and Wii were like that but even those were getting the FIFAs and WII is still receiving Just Dance.

3DS isn't getting anything, literally. Nothing

or what games could possible release on 3DS in 2019?? EOX and PQ2 are the only games that come to find and I doubt people will even look at them.

Pokemon Sun and Moon will keep it going by themselves, but helped by Kart, 3D Land, etc. More Select titles, play the price game like they have with the hardware and another couple years is pretty easy to see. It's not like retailer shelfspace is cramped anymore now that Dance/Music and TTL are gone.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 3DS and 2DS are not going anywhere on retailer shelves as long as Switch is $299

It's still the best option for parents looking to get their younger children a cheap gaming platform.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Initiatives like Game Pass, are having real world impacts on hardware sales. I'm not just theorizing this, I've seen data to corroborate it.

We've also seen Phil state how both SOT and SOD2 both exceeded sales expectations, stating gamepass as the reason.

And taking what you said into account, it seems Nintendo and especially Sonys analysts are seeing the same things.

Sony is, right now, probably morphing PS Now into a gamepass service, one subscription for streaming and downloads.

Which brings us to the most important question, will gamers be accepting of so many subscription services.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw I apologize for getting in a bit of an argument in the thread. I know no one really likes to read that stuff and I dont feel particularly good about myself either when I get confrontational in them.

Sorry everyone

No apology necessary. You've shown nothing but class in this thread, as usual.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Just curious but who really expected Project Scorpio alone to be enough to overtake the PS4? I don't remember seeing too many people with those expectations.

Also, the X1 has had deals off and on for the entire generation and it barely moved the needle, yet now that it is why discount it? I think everyone realizes it's not going to beat PS4 this gen but that doesn't mean it can't be a healthy platform in its own right.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've also seen Phil state how both SOT and SOD2 both exceeded sales expectations, stating gamepass as the reason.

And taking what you said into account, it seems Nintendo and especially Sonys analysts are seeing the same things.

Sony is, right now, probably morphing PS Now into a gamepass service, one subscription for streaming and downloads.

Which brings us to the most important question, will gamers be accepting of so many subscription services.

You know this is actually really interesting. Because while I do think Sony and Nintendo are aware of how things like Game Pass and other services are transforming the market, I still think we are REALLY far away from seeing either of them pursue such a model. It just seems so different from their strategies. MS is traditionally a service based company anyways, so something like Game Pass fits right into their wheel house.

I wont be surprised if we dont see either of Sony or Nintendo offer a service comparable to Game Pass even next gen (though I hope they do).

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
You know this is actually really interesting. Because while I do think Sony and Nintendo are aware of how things like Game Pass and other services are transforming the market, I still think we are REALLY far away from seeing either of them pursue such a model. It just seems so different from their strategies. MS is traditionally a service based company anyways, so something like Game Pass fits right into their wheel house.

I wont be surprised if we dont see either of Sony or Nintendo offer a service comparable to Game Pass even next gen (though I hope they do).
Wasn't there a backed up rumor that PSnow will offer download later this year? Also don't see how it's not like Sony, they tried PSnow first lol. Unlike Nintendo I would agree with.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Sorry everyone

No need to apologize, man. You've been nothing but respectful and we appreciate your sales insight as always. Fanboys will never be rational so just remember nothing you say will make sense to them. Better to block/ignore and move on.

No apology necessary. You've shown nothing but class in this thread, as usual.

Ah, you beat me to it. This.

Just curious but who really expected Project Scorpio alone to be enough to overtake the PS4? I don't remember seeing too many people with those expectations.

Also, the X1 has had deals off and on for the entire generation and it barely moved the needle, yet now that it is why discount it? I think everyone realizes it's not going to beat PS4 this gen but that doesn't mean it can't be a healthy platform in its own right.

Yep. Xbox One is on track to sell 50+mil units by the end of the gen and that is coming from one of the worst launches in console history where everyone thought it was the end. Things have turned around so drastically, as Benji pointed out, that the brand is seeing growth like never before in it's history, and this is at the end of a console cycle after the abysmal launch that would've probably sunk any other manufacturer. Microsoft are seriously firing on all cylinders except their 1P which they are aggressively taking a serious approach on as we speak, and if Playgrounds recent staff acquisitions and Ninja Theorys tweets are anything to go by, hoooo boy. Phil, Satya and Panos leading the helm for Xbox Scarlet means there are very exciting times ahead for gamers.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a backed up rumor that PSnow will offer download later this year? Also don't see how it's not like Sony, they tried PSnow first lol. Unlike Nintendo I would agree with.

I believe that's still for older titles though from rumors. It's hard for me to believe that Sony will offer the next God of War or the next Horizon Zero Dawn as part of a subscription service.

I absolutely 100% hope they do and I believe they could be very successful with it, I'm just not sure it's something they are ready to do.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

It's pretty exciting because all 3 seem to be taking slightly different paths. It'll be fun to see how that all pans out next gen.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that's still for older titles though from rumors. It's hard for me to believe that Sony will offer the next God of War or the next Horizon Zero Dawn as part of a subscription service.

I absolutely 100% hope they do and I believe they could be very successful with it, I'm just not sure it's something they are ready to do.

Maybe, and there is caveats, SOT and SOD2 we're both multiplayer titles. We still have no data on newly released single player games.

Oct 25, 2017

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
The xbox did not have a terrible launch, it was actually better than the 360 and near PS4 level. It bested the PS4 in the December NPD. It just couldn't continue as the price was too high and the third party advantage the 360 had was gone.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One key fact that unfortunately Mat didn't discuss is how Ps4 at 299.99$ was able to outsell Xbox at 199.99$ by a decent amount, it shows the strength of the brand, the fact that it's beating Switch in it's 2nd year at the same price is also remarkable.

Unfortunately he never goes into much about pricing differences and all, it's probably the most important factor for many people buying a Console.
There was a limited edition gaudy gold PS4 for $250, but yes, standard model wise the Xbox One was essentially $100 (33%) cheaper than the PS4. On top of that the Gold and Game Pass deals were orders of magnitude better than PlayStation equivalents. It was $10 off a year's PS Plus sub whilst it was double the months free on Gold and Game Pass.

I'm actually surprised the Xbox One didn't sell more than the PS4, because historically when talking other periods or months, fall, Black Friday etc, price has been a major and notable factor. It's not exactly a small price difference this June either, but a substantial one.