• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I think if you make a amazing single player game like GOW it will sell alot dont you think? Everyone I know talks about how much is there to do in the game and how great it was even though its single player

Getting a 94 rating isn't something that can be reasonably expected for a primarily linear, single player game. It's an incredibly rare accomplishment. So sure, if you can hit 94+ with your game, and do all the things the team did on God of War, including having a nice release window? Go for it. But the likelihood of pulling it off is certainly a tremendous risk.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XBox One X is really is a huge story I have to think. It has caused a dramatic uptick in the XBox One's fortunes.

Mid-Gen refreshes are the real deal, I suspect PS4 Pro is also helping the PS4 ward off usual signs of hardware cycle decline.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the iterative boxes are doing exactly what they were intended to do. Both have been meaningful to the results we're seeing.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a 94 rating isn't something that can be reasonably expected for a primarily linear, single player game. It's an incredibly rare accomplishment. So sure, if you can hit 94+ with your game, and do all the things the team did on God of War, including having a nice release window? Go for it. But the likelihood of pulling it off is certainly a tremendous risk.
I mean Sony has done it fairly consistently for years.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow, Switch is killing it on the software front!

I'm also shocked that Mario Tennis is number one. Granted, it was a slow month, but a tennis game as top selling when you're not even including digital sales?! Hot damn!!!
The Switch launched with a modest number of games last year. In June last year it still had a very limited software lineup. Considering that it doesn't seem that shocking software sales are up when comparing June of last year to this year.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Colour me just a little bit surprised that Mario Tennis Aces is at the top; don't get me wrong, it's a fairly good game and I'm having fun with it... but man, I guess I just wasn't expecting it to sell as well as it did.

First party switch games are selling great. That's why we want Nintendo to hurry up and make stuff like wave race and f zero so they will see that they will sell.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
actually that's because the madmen at insomniac are making a giant 1h30-long ad to display on theaters this holiday, featuring not one but three different versions of their game's protagonist, all in animated-style to reach a broader audience
that's the power of sony's marketing budget
I said if they do something like this Spider Man will sell tons.

Before any Marvel movies too?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Mario Tennis at #1 (without digital) is possibly the most understated and telling indicator of the Switch's success.

The whole industry is doing amazingly well.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 and God of War continue to sell amazingly well. Spider-Man is going to sell a lot.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's great to see Xbox being up yoy but at the same time it has had crazy deals this year. This June had $199 S model and discount for X too. If Switch or PS4 Slim had that $199 deal they would fly off the shelves (like we saw in november for PS4). Xbox needs these huge discounts to just keep up with the others. I mean MS obviously has money for these so fair play to them and it's one way to position your self better for next round.

The thing is, these deals weren't even enough to do much over the last few years as they have been occurring pretty consistently. Obviously they are still behind the momentum of the PS4 and Switch, but I also recognize how much it's improved since the beginning of the gen.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How does Ace's performance compare with Ultra Smash on Wii U for an enlightening and probably hilarious comparison?

Zhuge recently elaborated in the U.K. at least that US was dire even by Wii U standards so I'm curious how this comparison holds up here too.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Switch launched with a modest number of games last year. In June last year it still had a very limited software lineup. Considering that it doesn't seem that shocking software sales are up when comparing months.
Okay that is fine but we also know that there has been a ridiculous amount of software sales on the Switch so overall a very positive picture,

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch launched with a modest number of games last year. By July it still had a very limited software lineup. Realizing that it doesn't seem that shocking software sales are up when comparing months.

Not to mention it's its second year. Every single system sees its software sales grow in their second year simply because there is multiple times more owners buying software. That trend continues until there starts to be more users leaving the ecosystem than entering it (late gen). For example PS2 had sold 150 million units by 2010 but obviously its software sales were already minimal because only tiny amount of users were active anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt they will take it, but they must be disappointed it couldn't keep its momentum after the initial sales.

I'm sure they are content with doubling the previous best selling entry nearly at full price and still being #3 best seller for the year with a PC version around the corner versus say, selling a quarter of the copies but charting for a few more months.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
No doubt they will take it, but they must be disappointed it couldn't keep its momentum after the initial sales.
I sincerely doubt it. It's the best looking, best controlling, highest rated, most welcoming Monster Hunter they've made. It has a great social element, and people still play it often. Just because they aren't spending money on it after their $42-$60 purchase with almost 8 million sales doesn't mean Capcom is disappointed. They already said it's way above expectations. They know there are tons of games vying for our time.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox one X has to be doing really well for that uptick in sales. Well deserved!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You also said Exclusive don't move hardware, smh. If the Xbox X was the reason for Xbox resurgence in NA shouldn't they be top of the chart based on Revenue?

Yup, and since Xbox supposedly has no exclusive that part wins also.

But ya, shame we dont get SKU breakdowns. Only Mat saying One X does well (in the past he has said that).

Dont forget PS4 has a higher priced (albeit $400) Pro SKU that will even out the revenue somewhat, plus that generally AFAIK the PS4 is often $50 more for base SKU's. Combine that with a units sold advantage and it may swamp the X1X revenue factor.

Besides I'm not saying Xbox is overtaking PS4 anyways, just looking positive.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XBox One X is really is a huge story I have to think. It has caused a dramatic uptick in the XBox One's fortunes.

Mid-Gen refreshes are the real deal, I suspect PS4 Pro is also helping the PS4 ward off usual signs of hardware cycle decline.

Both are doing very well for what they were designed for. I fully expect mid gen refreshes being the norm now moving forward.

In terms of the X itself I think the most important aspect about it was MS used it as sort of a stepping stone to rebrand their platform which the Xbox One desperately needed

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Great numbers all around especially Nintendo software sales, and PS4 hardware sales - nice to see GOW doing so well as a purely SP game.

XBox numbers not bad, though its skewed by Xbox X - doesnt it sell at a loss? Increases revenue is a bit misleading in that case.

Surprised at Nintendo #1 publisher if it doesnt cover eshop sales (that was a no brainer for me to buy mario tennis digitally) given how strong ps4 hw and gow sales are

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure they are content with doubling the previous best selling entry nearly at full price and still being #3 best seller for the year with a PC version around the corner versus say, selling a quarter of the copies but charting for a few more months.

I sincerely doubt it. It's the best looking, best controlling, highest rated, most welcoming Monster Hunter they've made. It has a great social element, and people still play it often. Just because they aren't spending money on it after their $42-$60 purchase with almost 8 million sales doesn't mean Capcom is disappointed. They already said it's way above expectations. They know there are tons of games vying for our time.

We know that investors are disappointed. I would assume Capcom, after the initial sales, expected MHW to trend like former MH games. That did not happen. So yes, I'm sure they're very happy with the total sales, but at the same time disappointed that it did not maintain its momentum.