• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The Last of Us over 20 million, Uncharted 4 over 16 million, Horizon Zero Dawn over 10 million, God of War over 10 million, Spider-Man easily over 10 million, etc. Yep, great legs!
Yeah thy Def do. Ps3 In its own right was successful because it propped up some of those new ips, word of mouth spread and ppl were even more in tune with the quality of Sony exclusives. Even their new ips like Horizon releasing during any month sells gangbusters.

What's even more impressive to me is Days Gone.
It didn't have those hugely impressive reviews, it's a completely new IP, and it spent weeks at #1 in the UK (and more european countries) and it's doing really well in the USA as well.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God of War should be able to hit 15 million with these legs

Insane considering the past best selling title of the series was God of War 3 at ~6million

Also, Spiderfuckingman... 20 million LTD, could it be possible?

Also wonder where Days Gone numbers are currently. It had an amazing performance on Europe on top of its great results on US. It sold well even in Japan ffs lol

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or Sony exclusives have way better legs nowadays than previous generations? Even compared with the beginning of this one.
This is amazing!
God of War was out a year and like 3 months ago and Spider-Man almost a year ago!
Definitely, PlayStation first party is stronger than ever right now.

Good week all around, GTA5 and BOTW continue to amaze me.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Is it just me or Sony exclusives have way better legs nowadays than previous generations? Even compared with the beginning of this one.
This is amazing!
God of War was out a year and like 3 months ago and Spider-Man almost a year ago!
Though Days of Play gave a deserved boost (i.e. God of War was not in the previous charts).

Overall, liked that Mortal Kombat 11 held quite well for its third month.

And Super Mario Maker 2 sold a ton it seems to end as #1 and without digital sales included.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
They have the best pricing strategy for their first party stuff which I'm sure helps
yeah, they seem to have the stages mapped out well

start at 60, after a bit go to 40, have a few sales at 30, have a big sale at 20, then finally make the 20 price point permanent

basically what ubisoft does as well

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so is it safe to say that Sony's exclusives are at least almost as strong as Nintendo's sales-wise these days? Because it sure seems like it.

From an 'AAA' standpoint? Sure an argument could be made for that. But for smaller/niche games? I strongly disagree. See SMP, MTA and surely LM3 soon enough which are spin-offs that are multi-million sellers or even a JRPG like Fire Emblem positively exploding recently which Three Houses will hopefully continue next month.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
A bit more competition for Kart Racers on Switch it seems. Amazing result overall for Crash though and well deserved. I'm enjoying what I've played so far. Hard to learn the drifts but rewarding.

Usually this just leads to higher sales on the platform. X360 sold way more FPS games than PS3 despite having Halo as a exclusive juggernaut.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

What what? Did you not understand the post?

From an 'AAA' standpoint? Sure an argument could be made for that. But for smaller/niche games? I strongly disagree. See SMP, MTA and surely LM3 soon enough which are spin-offs that are multi-million sellers or even a JRPG like Fire Emblem positively exploding recently which Three Houses will hopefully continue next month.

That's a fair point. Sony's smaller games tend to do extremely poorly outside of a few exceptions like Knack or Astrobot.

But their AAA output has been monstrous. Even Days Gone is doing extremely well.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, not even really in the same ballpark all things considered. Nintendo games never get reduced and still find a way to top the charts with less hardware out in the wild.

Nintendo games on Switch dont compete with stuff like FIFA, Call of Duty, GTA, Red Dead Redemption etc

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Eh, not even really in the same ballpark all things considered. Nintendo games never get reduced and still find a way to top the charts with less hardware out in the wild.

Having less hardware out there doesn't really matter. What matters is how active that userbase is.

The price is a fair point though. Sony games always get big discounts.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
so is it safe to say that Sony's exclusives are at least almost as strong as Nintendo's sales-wise these days? Because it sure seems like it.

but but people told me nobody cares about Crash anymore
WW if we are speaking about units yes. Revenue? Probably not due to the fact that Sony cut the price of the games way more than Nintendo.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo games on Switch dont compete with stuff like FIFA, Call of Duty, GTA, Red Dead Redemption etc

They do in the US at least according to Matt- practically every Switch owner has a console that those games have been released on- it's not a vacuum that prevents purchasing on other systems. Thought this 'argument' was proven false ages ago...

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Games like Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, God of War etc manage to reach or approach 10M units sold without decent sales though...that alone doesn't explain it
A ton of sales for Spider-Man and Uncharted are straight up bundles. Last of Us was another massively bundled game. God of War didn't have mass bundles though, but that is like the strongest performer outside of Spider-Man.

June had Days of Play, so it looks like low pricing on first party software boosted sales.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Judgment...
4180bb5252d59d8ee2ece253ee07d205.png

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's even more impressive to me is Days Gone.
It didn't have those hugely impressive reviews, it's a completely new IP, and it spent weeks at #1 in the UK (and more european countries) and it's doing really well in the USA as well.
Yep :) Days Gone is doing great. I'm so happy for Bend Studio. And man, MLB The Show is doing great, too!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Having less hardware out there doesn't really matter. What matters is how active that userbase is.

The price is a fair point though. Sony games always get big discounts.

yeah, it's weird, sales dont scale with userbase. When there is 100 million Switch install base the games may not sell any better than they do now. Same for Xbox and PS.

That's why Switch is viable competition for PS4 despite technically a much lower hardware install base worldwide. And that's why PS5 games will be outselling PS4 versions a year or two into the next gem on a much smaller hardware base. The "active core" will have moved onto PS5, and tens of millions of PS4 will lie dormant.

It's more like there's a core of active console users, what is it, I dont know, 10-20 million? At some point that core doesn't grow whether 20 million or 100 million consoles have been sold. A lot of people's older consoles probably dont get any use, and they are replaced as active users by new hardware owners.

Probably a few games can tap the larger extended base to some extent (not fully). Nintendo 1st party, evergreen games like GTA/MInecraft....

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Usually this just leads to higher sales on the platform. X360 sold way more FPS games than PS3 despite having Halo as a exclusive juggernaut.

Yeah that's a good point. A little surprising, I was under the impression N. Sane Trilogy did quite well on the platform so I did expect better. In terms of numbers though MK8 is the juggernaut when compared to Halo.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Great start for SMM2. #1 with 1 week of tracking and no digital.

Do we know what the split is for CTR?