• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very impressive for SMM 2 and CTR: Nitro. Also impressive to see GTA V and Spider-Man still in the top 10 after all these months, and Days Gone still holding in there among the big guns too.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Anthem sold more than Resident Evil 2 YTD...

giphy.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yeah, i think FE and MM2 will be 1/2 (or vice versa) next month

wolfenstein should chart ok, maybe? its a less expensive game and comes out at the end of the month tho...

wonder if CTR will keep its legs

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Also, it's kind of amazing that Kingdom Hearts 3 still sits at number 2 YTD despite not appearing in the top 20 for, what, 2-3 months?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
the Crash Trilogy had good legs, didn't it?

i remember it being talked about a good bit after its release

Well it sold 10 million copies as of February. Going multiplatform after a year helped stir up interest again though. CTR Nitro Fueled is just missing a PC port.

But Nitro Fueled's post-launch support is way heavier than anything the trilogy got.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Great for SMM2 and CTR, both setting franchise records is awesome (even if expected for the former). Same for Siege.

Very curious as to the split for CTR, though I'm sure it did well everywhere.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's been back for a while now but it's still pleasing to see them back on top after the tumultuous Wii U years and the various "Nintendo should go 3rd party/full mobile" takes.

I thought of this again because the first Mario Maker was great but kind of fizzled since it arrived on the Wii U 3 years after launch.

Jan 10, 2018
Is it just me or Sony exclusives have way better legs nowadays than previous generations? Even compared with the beginning of this one.
This is amazing!
God of War was out a year and like 3 months ago and Spider-Man almost a year ago!

I think what might help is that either on purpose or not(probably not), they followed the old Nintendo strategy of not releasing more than one title per generation within a franchise. I would assume its due to rising costs and development but there are barely any sequels this time around.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken this would be comparing CTR's launch to N.Sane trilogy on PS4 only. It didn't launch on Switch and Xbox One until later so a game on 3 platforms selling more than a game on 1 platform isn't surprising at all.
. N.Sane Trilogy released on June 30, 2017. So CTR also had an extra two weeks of tracking.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hey Breath of the Wild, don't think I haven't noticed you've only missed the Top 20 one time since March, 2017.
BOTW is an absolute myth. Unbelievable performance for a single player game with zero online components.

The game is very special. Whenever I turn on my switch I think about going back again. I think I did spend around 400 hours, but I always feel like there is something new for me to see, or not even new, but just a different angle and I am missing out...

Love the game.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
holy shit Mario Maker 2 probabily sold big numbers this month.

Crash Trilogy first month was over 400K, So this mean:

Mario Maker (withouth digital) > Crash racing > Crash Trilogy > 400K

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's been back for a while now but it's still pleasing to see them back on top after the tumultuous Wii U years and the various "Nintendo should go 3rd party/full mobile" takes.

I thought of this again because the first Mario Maker was great but kind of fizzled since it arrived on the Wii U 3 years after launch.
It's amazing how well their games can do when they're on hardware people actually care for :P

I'd say the game only fizzled out some time after the Switch's release as it got a lot of support and levels for its first year or so

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so is it safe to say that Sony's exclusives are at least almost as strong as Nintendo's sales-wise these days? Because it sure seems like it.
not really. you don't see a game from 2+ years ago charting and the games that do often get price drops after a while whereas nintendo's games stay full-price for years.
sony's first party games are definitely doing very well these days tho, just not on nintendo's level.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
CTR BRINGING THE BUCKS AND BRINGING MUCH NEEDED VARIETY TO THE TOP 10 BITCHES!

Bow before the resurgence of the Kart racing renaissance. Right now your favorite developer is trying to figure out how to develop their own Kart racer so they can cash in on this wave.

This is like the Avengers, but for video games. Everybody must copy.

Come at me.

Oct 26, 2017
not really. you don't see a game from 2+ years ago charting and the games that do often get price drops after a while whereas nintendo's games stay full-price for years.
sony's first party games are definitely doing very well these days tho, just not on nintendo's level.
I'd say they're getting there with their AAA releases, with their best ones matching Nintendo. It's the smaller budget titles which aren't close to Nintendo's level

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
CTR BRINGING THE BUCKS AND BRINGING MUCH NEEDED VARIETY TO THE TOP 10 BITCHES!

Bow before the resurgence of the Kart racing renaissance. Right now your favorite developer is trying to figure out how to develop their own Kart racer so they can cash in on this wave.

This is like the Avengers, but for video games. Everybody must copy.

Come at me.
im more excited for the upcoming Left4Dead Renaissance, but ill settle for this for now

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say they're getting there with their AAA releases, with their best ones matching Nintendo. It's the smaller budget titles which aren't close to Nintendo's level
i mean a huge title like horizon that released at the same time as botw is no where to be seen, and it's like 20 bucks for the complete edition (game+dlc). they're doing very well but even for the biggest games the legs aren't comparable.

Oct 26, 2017
i mean a huge title like horizon that released at the same time as botw is no where to be seen, and it's like 20 bucks for the complete edition (game+dlc). they're doing very well but even for the biggest games the legs aren't comparable.
Oh their legs aren't comparable but overall sales are. The former does seem to be improving though with the PS4 and that might continue with the PS5

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Seems like it's on Switch this year to deliver year over year growth to the whole market. Maybe new models and new releases can do it. Switches growth would have been stronger if not for lack of new releases in the first half. Strong second half upcoming.

PS4 was on sale for the month with the "Days of Play" promotion. Didn't seem to do much.

Pretty obvious that PS4 and Xbox One need official price cuts. Is this going to happen? Obviously it's been nearly 6 years since new hardware.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Btw, CTR has some leaderboards with a player count. PS4 is at over a million, Switch is a little over 200k last time I checked and Xbox is a little under 200k, so I imagine the splits will be similar here

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it's on Switch this year to deliver year over year growth to the whole market. Maybe new models and new releases can do it. Switches growth would have been stronger if not for lack of new releases in the first half. Strong second half upcoming.

PS4 was on sale for the month with the "Days of Play" promotion. Didn't seem to do much.

Pretty obvious that PS4 and Xbox One need official price cuts. Is this going to happen? Obviously it's been nearly 6 years since new hardware.
They're nearing the end of their lives, with next gen just a year away. I don't think a price drop would do much to stop the decline they're in and, really, would it the potential increase in sales make up for the decrease in price? Once the next gen systems are out, people will just move on to them and they'll hopefully deliver growth to the market

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
They're nearing the end of their lives, with next gen just a year away. I don't think a price drop would do much to stop the decline they're in and, really, would it the potential increase in sales make up for the decrease in price? Once the next gen systems are out, people will just move on to them and they'll hopefully deliver growth to the market
instead of a price drop, I expect one more major revision for both the PS4 and XBO, to move to cheaper parts that will eventually scale down in price while staying profitable (like with the ps3/360 late models)

no real reason to chop the price of either just yet

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow... What would the NPD chart look like if Nintendo shared digital?

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
holy shit Mario Maker 2 probabily sold big numbers this month.

Crash Trilogy first month was over 400K, So this mean:

Mario Maker (withouth digital) > Crash racing > Crash Trilogy > 400K

Feel like this is underappreciated. But didn't CTR have a special edition or something? That could muddy the comparison.

Oct 26, 2017
instead of a price drop, I expect one more major revision for both the PS4 and XBO, to move to cheaper parts that will eventually scale down in price while staying profitable (like with the ps3/360 late models)

no real reason to chop the price of either just yet
Yeah, I can definitely see that and then a permanent price drop once the PS5/XB2 are out and sales fall off pretty hard

Yeah, might as well make what they can before they move on to their next systems

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
...ahh...I forget that the PS3 had a top loader revision at some point. Not gonna lie, I actually prefer top loaders over inserting the disc into the system :P
yeah, most people i talked to hated the design but i dug it

gaming_ps3_super_slim_hands_on_5.jpg

the weird grooves on the top kinda gave it an older style, reminded me of an Atari or an Intellivision

kinda wish they would of released a version with fake wood panels attached to it