• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Super Mario Maker 2 did exceptionally well in just three days!

Yay to Crash Team Racing doing very, very good too.

Boo-hoo to Judgment for failing to chart...

Although the present top ten for this year will dramatically change in the coming months, it is good to see two PlayStation 4 exclusives in the top ten. There may well be two Switch exclusives joining the very same chart this time next month, if SMM2 is able to knock Black Ops IIII off the tenth spot!

p.s. Was this months results during the 'Days of Play' promotion?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony first party has benefited this gen from a seemingly increased quality (I say seemingly because I don't own a PS4 so haven't played any, just going off reaction) in addition to the fact that the competition in the industry for big budget single player games has lessened pretty dramatically.

There's obviously still a big market for these experiences but you're getting a lot of resources put into GaaS now while a platform holder can more easily afford the relative risks of high budget single player games.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta say, I wouldn't have expected KH3 above RE2, and Days Gone being top ten on a single console is pretty impressive imo.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think Sony first party has benefited this gen from a seemingly increased quality (I say seemingly because I don't own a PS4 so haven't played any, just going off reaction) in addition to the fact that the competition in the industry for big budget single player games has lessened pretty dramatically.

There's obviously still a big market for these experiences but you're getting a lot of resources put into GaaS now while a platform holder can more easily afford the relative risks of high budget single player games.

I'd say it's kind of reverse. First party cant really afford to do games the scope of cyberpunk 2077/GTA/RDR, maybe even Assassins Creed etc. You need to be on all platforms to pay for that. You tend to get more linear single player experiences from first party which cost less.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'd say it's kind of reverse. First party cant really afford to do games the scope of cyberpunk 2077/GTA/RDR, maybe even Assassins Creed etc. You need to be on all platforms to pay for that. You tend to get more linear single player experiences from first party which cost less.

I guess Horizon's open world, spiderman's open world, god of war's open hub world, days gone would like to have a word with you.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It could be that I'm misremembering or Switch doing well creates a perceptive bias, but it feels like PS4 and XB1 are slumping much harder in their second to last year than PS3 and X360 did at the time. 33% down including Switch sales! And a year earlier than PS360.

This was PS3 and X360:
total_tv_sales.png

Were they really riding the second wind of Move and Kinect (and conversely the current mid gen refreshes can't do the same), was there a massive influx of Wii users going towards PS360 at the end of the lifecycle, was it that Wii U bombad out the gate and made people buy a PS360 after all, or vice versa that people are now moving over to Switch?

Or am I reading too much into June data?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad for CTR, at first I was very salty around the game's mechanics, but when it clicked, holy crap was it good.

I played MK8DX after and it messed me up.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Mario and Crash on top baby. Sonic you sham.

Curious about what takes July. Will Fire Emblem have a crazy opening? Mario Maker 2 repeat? Marvel coming for the masses? GTA V somehow?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It could be that I'm misremembering or Switch doing well creates a perceptive bias, but it feels like PS4 and XB1 are slumping much harder in their second to last year than PS3 and X360 did at the time. 33% down including Switch sales! And a year earlier than PS360.

This was PS3 and X360:
total_tv_sales.png

Were they really riding the second wind of Move and Kinect (and conversely the current mid gen refreshes can't do the same), was there a massive influx of Wii users going towards PS360 at the end of the lifecycle, was it that Wii U bombad out the gate and made people buy a PS360 after all, or vice versa that people are now moving over to Switch?

Nah I agree with you, Xbox One in particular is disappointing indeed and PS4 isn't hot either. Benji bless him was spot on when he said hardware sales were going to plummet this year at the end of last year. Not exactly something that was met with widespread agreement here either- I remember at least one user ITT was adamant that the other 2 consoles would be very competitive with the Switch this year.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Nintendo is killing it. Rockstar's games are beast mode. Glad to see Days Gone doing well. It was a fun game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

This was PS3 and X360:
total_tv_sales.png

I think that 2018 was also an abnormally big year thanks to Fortnite and it is making the drops harsher this year. However, the current level of sales for the PS4 and especially the XB1 is low and probably lower than expected.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think that 2018 was also an abnormally big year thanks to Fortnite and it is making the drops harsher this year. However, the current level of sales for the PS4 and especially the XB1 is low and probably lower than expected.
Oh yeah I forgot that Fortnite could have propped up and slanted a what would otherwise be more regular bell curve. That would mean the effect of a mid-term refresh is even less pronounced however.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Solid month, wish we had a bit more info on the hardware. Interesting to see how strong exclusives are right now for both Sony and Nintendo. I think Days of Play did help prop up Day's Gone, Spider-Man, and God of War, but that doesn't make it less impressive to see them chart well, considering they would have had to have a higher unit volume to make up for the discounts.

The Switch version of CTR would have charted between #17 and #19 on the Top 20, probably sold around 100k there (taking into account the $40 tag).

Side note: Who are all these people that are doubting Crash at this point? I come into sales threads and inevitably a couple of people proclaim victory over all of the supposed Crash nay-sayers out there... when I have literally never heard anyone doubt the series since the Crash N-sane Trilogy came out 2 years ago. It just seems weird.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

First party games have several advantages for the publisher, for example no license cost, driving hardware sales, marketing (that's the biggest part of the budget for games like GTA and RDR) can be used to market hardware as well etc.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

This was PS3 and X360:
total_tv_sales.png

I mean it's mostly because X360 -> XBO drop. PS4 is still pacing greatly ahead of PS3 (especially globally). Sony has forecast of 16 million for this FY. During FY2012 PS3 shipped something like 12.5 million.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah that's a valid point, though I'm getting quite doubtful if Sony will reach their forecast (then again, I've been wrong on them so many times that who knows).

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah that's a valid point, though I'm getting quite doubtful if Sony will reach their forecast (then again, I've been wrong on them so many times that who knows).

Its important to remember its strength worldwide and not just base it off npd.

Last year switch was the best selling console in the USA so people assumed they were also the best worldwide when in the end it was the ps4.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This was PS3 and X360:
total_tv_sales.png

Ps3 and 360 had abnormally long tails due to their ridiculous prices

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
yeah, it's a naturally fun game to watch
That's basically how I fell in love with the first one since I didn't have a Wii U. Watching people play, struggle and conquer hard levels was a blast. I haven't been able to play as much on my Switch yet, but I loved what I played so far and plan to tackle the user-created stuff next week.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker 2 beating Crash Team Racing is insane. I had no idea how popular it was. And that's not including digital sales.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
great for Mario and Crash, i do hope the switch port of Crash bombed though.
hopefully we can expect constant dlc for mario.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Horizon's open world, spiderman's open world, god of war's open hub world, days gone would like to have a word with you.
I've played Spider-Man and God of War, like them both, and neither of those two games come close to the scope and scale of a GTA or RDR 2. What I've seen of Horizon and Days Gone doesn't match those games either. It's not a knock against them. A game's quality isn't defined by how big it is

Switch at #1 should be the trend until PS5/Scarlett are released.

Good month overall.
The Switch should be #1 even after they come out. I think will be pleasantly surprised by that

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought all console versions were 30fps. I haven't played it yet, what's this currency difference about?
yes all console versions are 30fps which is another issue i have with the game but 480p is just an unacceptable.
there's a currency you can gain by racing to buy cosmetics in-game, you can only get it when connected to the internet which is obviously really damn annoying for a hybrid device like the switch. if you only play in handheld like i do you will never gain any of these coins.