• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, 2020 is a no brainer for switch to take it unless PS5 launches early on in the year which I highly doubt.

If he means yearly I still cant see switch outdoing PS5 in 2021 since you are in year 5 of switch at that point.

A lot of it depends on what games each company is able to get out on their respective systems. The price gulf is also going to be incredibly stark: the Switch Lite could hit $150 at some point two years from now, while the PS5 will of course be staying at its launch price ($500?).

Nintendo's 2021 could very realistically be expected to have the Breath of the Wild sequel and a major Pokemon release (probably not a new generation, but at least a third version/sequel or remake). If the next 3D Mario doesn't release opposite the new launches in 2020, that can also easily be expected to show up in 2021. The potential for what else could be coming is up in the air, but by that time your Mario Kart 9's, Splatoon 3's, whatever is next for 2D Mario, Monolith's game, etc would all be considered "due," or at least whatever has been worked on by those teams.

If Sony has the more standard sparse first-year release schedule expected of a new console and Nintendo focuses enough Aces during the same time period, coupled with a potentially $300 or more price difference for entry, I could easily see the Switch outselling the PS5 for the year.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
FYI your incorrect the Switch didn't outsell the PS4.
Only in the US. I meant WW. Of course, we'll have to see but I'd argue there's more of a chance for the Switch to beat out the PS5 in year one than the other way around

My bad, I assumed the subject was NPD.

Follow the convo back the person is talking WW.

I looked at the convo, where was WW mentioned? Comic Obsessed didn't mention anything, so I assumed he meant NPD

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I mean you didn't lie, but at the same time...
461.jpg

But that's a (supposedly) mediocre game that will wind up selling significantly less than the 100 versions previous entry. Kind of proving his point

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo livin' the dream and Crash just a little below enjoying the spotlight while poor Sonic is just burning in hell.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah I dont see where it was bought up worldwide or why we would be dicussing worldwide in an NPD thread?

Yeah, I always assume that unless specified NPD is being talked about (if it's in a NPD thread obviously).

If we're talking WW then it's easy to see Switch outselling Scarlett in 2021 since the Xbox is so anemic in most of the world.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Hell yeah 200 price point is tht sweet spot.
à propos 200.
people saying that there's no sales life in ps4 any more ignore the still possible wildcard of a price cut. sony was very strict with discounts so far, and like a mother, who rarely gives out candy to their children, suddenly throwing a heavy dose of sugar-coated delight into the ring for the holiday season might lead to some outbursts of hyperactivity among the breed.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
à propos 200.
people saying that there's no sales life in ps4 any more ignore the still possible wildcard of a price cut. sony was very strict with discounts so far, and like a mother, who rarely gives out candy to their children, suddenly throwing a heavy dose of sugar-coated delight into the ring for the holiday season might lead to some outbursts of hyperactivity among the breed.

Of course, ps4 at tht price point would also be a steal and sell alot. Ps4 is at its end of life per se in terms of the generation and new Playstation the horizon so Sony probably will drop it down or make a cheaper slim.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
à propos 200.

Who is saying that lol ?
PS4 is yet to reach its final form - as in a even slimmer version at 200 bucks.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
List is based on revenue so discount price hurts Crash against Mario Maker. Of course Mario maker is missing digital so that should somewhat even it out. Also it's more about Mario Maker just selling amazingly well than Crash somewhat having low sales so I am not sure brutal is correct word to use here as both sold really well.
No no, I said it as a compliment. In spanish we use sometimes "brutal" as "amazing" "incredible" etc. I'm sure Crash did fantastic, so that makes Mario Maker's 1st place (considering single console, less time, no digital) even more impressive.

Im sorry for the confusion.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
à propos 200.
How is that a wildcard? Lol. A price cut is long overdue

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
As for the debate for PS5 vs Switch, 2020 will obviously be taken by the Switch. The Lite will ensure that along with a strong lineup and the PS5 probably coming out in November 2020.

For 2021, hard to say that far out with so many variables, my gut says that the Switch will win in units and the PS5 will win in revenue (and it will retail around $500). The Switch will have to sell somewhere between 1.5x to 2.5x to outstrip via revenue. Xbox will probably beat it in revenue too. Those consoles gonna cost a pretty penny. A Switch Pro won't cost any more than $350, so I don't know if that would help.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
As for the debate for PS5 vs Switch, 2020 will obviously be taken by the Switch. The Lite will ensure that along with a strong lineup and the PS5 probably coming out in November 2020.

For 2021, hard to say that far out with so many variables, my gut says that the Switch will win in units and the PS5 will win in revenue (and it will retail around $500). The Switch will have to sell somewhere between 1.5x to 2.5x to outstrip via revenue. Xbox will probably beat it in revenue too. Those consoles gonna cost a pretty penny. A Switch Pro won't cost any more than $350, so I don't know if that would help.

A weird prediction - unless you are NPD, why would you care about a system performing better in terms of revenue ?
Folk underestimating new console launches.

It isn't surprising though.
Not really - people are realistic.
The consoles will be expensive and the list of exclusives limited early on.
Prime console numbers during the first year is unlikely.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really - people are realistic.
The consoles will be expensive and the list of exclusives limited early on.
Prime console numbers during the first year is unlikely.
3rd party sells Xbox and PS. Exclusives are more a compliment. You can bet the newest 3rd party games built for these new consoles will push units. I don't think they will have to be in their prime to outdo Switch either.

I'm just talking about the launch month btw. The year is more murky.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
3rd party sells Xbox and PS. Exclusives are more a compliment. You can bet the newest 3rd party games built for these new consoles will push units. I don't think they will have to be in their prime to outdo Switch either.

Likelihood of Sony or MS shipping enough consoles in the fall - assuming a November launch - to outsell the Switch/Nintendo during the Holidays is next to zero.

Lots of variables missing but i think your are downplaying the sales level Switch will achieve once the Lite version has been released.

Switch had a lackluster lineup last year until the near end, no price drops and pretty much every big 3rdParty release missing - yet it did have the strongest Holiday performance of all consoles this generation. And PS4/One launched had a lot of hype and demand going for them because the PS360 gen was so long. The idea of PS5/Nextbox launches just dominating "because" - seems a bit weird to me. They would need the by far best launch numbers and shipments ever in addition to the Switch somewhat tanking. I dont know about that.

Compare what these consoles sold during launch and how much the Switch will sell this Holiday season.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Those third party games will largely be available on the Xbox one and PS4 as well for the first few years. So I'm not really seeing these cross gen games pushing the new consoles

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017

Only if they launch in October.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
PS5 and Scarlett vs Switch for launch month (assuming it's November) will entirely come down to the shipment size of the former and the deals of the latter. Granted if either launch earlier than they take the month without question. But Switch taking next year is the most likely outcome.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Not really.

1st full year in the US :

PS3 : 2.56m
X360 : 3.9m

PS4 : 4.77m
XB1 : 4.32m

NSW in 2017 (10 months) : 4.88m
NSW in 2018 : 5.64m
NSW in 2019 : curently up 20-30% YoY

So even if in 2020/2021, the Switch declines it should remain a tough competitor.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the price of PS5 ($399 or $499), they'll sell every consoles available during the first months.
It is likely true but that would still be beatable numbers.

The XB1 sold 2.5m units whereas the PS4 sold 1.9m units (limited by stock issues) in November/December 2014.

Last year, the Switch sold 3.1m units during those two months.

Oct 25, 2017
Likelihood of Sony or MS shipping enough consoles in the fall - assuming a November launch - to outsell the Switch/Nintendo during the Holidays is next to zero.

Lots of variables missing but i think your are downplaying the sales level Switch will achieve once the Lite version has been released.

Switch had a lackluster lineup last year until the near end, no price drops and pretty much every big 3rdParty release missing - yet it did have the strongest Holiday performance of all consoles this generation. And PS4/One launched had a lot of hype and demand going for them because the PS360 gen was so long. The idea of PS5/Nextbox launches just dominating "because" - seems a bit weird to me. They would need the by far best launch numbers and shipments ever in addition to the Switch somewhat tanking. I dont know about that.

Compare what these consoles sold during launch and how much the Switch will sell this Holiday season.
I just think they will outdo the Switch. I don't know about either "dominating" the other.

Your points are fair btw. I think the Switch's price is a considerable advantage that shouldn't be overlooked though.

Those third party games will largely be available on the Xbox one and PS4 as well for the first few years. So I'm not really seeing these cross gen games pushing the new consoles
They did for this generation. It won't change next gen.

Not really.

1st full year in the US :

PS3 : 2.56m
X360 : 3.9m

PS4 : 4.77m
XB1 : 4.32m

NSW in 2017 (10 months) : 4.88m
NSW in 2018 : 5.64m
NSW in 2019 : curently up 20-30% YoY

So even if in 2020/2021, the Switch declines it should remain a tough competitor.
Agreed.

One outdoing the other doesn't have to mean it will be a sizable gap.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think there is any way the ps5 or Scarlett outsells the switch next year. They'll have a couple of months to outsell twelve months of switch sales. Seems next to impossible unless switch sales fall off drastically next year, which is really unlikely

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering if switch would lose out on a month.
Thought sales would dip with the lite announcement, but July is a strong software month. August has the new switch, September has the lite and a bunch of major titles.

Maybe it'll lose November with a big Black Friday sale

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Scarlett and PS5 aren't selling over 3M in 2020 (but more than 2M), so Switch takes 2020. 2021 could be close. All 3 could be between 4-5M, but Switch could still be above 5M.

2022 is when Switch gets overtaken.

Oct 26, 2017
Thought sales would dip with the lite announcement, but July is a strong software month. August has the new switch, September has the lite and a bunch of major titles.

This is the year we should see some nice Black Friday deals for the Switch so I'd bet on it more than holding it's own, if not taking it

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019

Given how close last Nov was, I doubt it. Also not sure if the New Switch will have an effect in August, since it seems to be more of a stealth drop.

As to 2021, another factor will be how the PS5 and Scarlett perform. If it's a 360 style split (where one clearly dominates the other) then the Switch would be number 2. If it's more like this gen, where both systems sell relatively close to each other, then the Switch could narrowly top both.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I can see switch MAYBE being ahead of the new xbox but I doubt that for PS5.

At that point switch will be in year 4 and launch month PS5 will probaly sell as much as they make easily putting it over 1mil or more that first month.

Switch last November was ~1.35 million. If Switch sells something like that , i don't see PS5 beat Switch during launch month.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Well, both of them are launching so late they might as well be 2021 consoles.
I'm a bit bemused by posters claiming next-gen is 'around the corner' when the consoles are a year plus away. That's not around the corner.

I can see both beating Switch the month the launch in but losing holidays because Switch will likely still have the best December on the fact of price differences (there's only so many people who will pay for $400-$500 or even $600 consoles) and lineup.

We have zero idea what Switch's 2020 lineup is going to look like. But it will certainly be more well rounded than the mostly cross gen and 1 or 2 exclusives on the new consoles.

If Switch is up 20-30% this year, they can be down 20-30% next year and still sell as much as they did last year, and Switch may not be down next year, could be flat.