• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
unbenannthsk6l.png

This is without a doubt one of the more peculiar charts you can find in the wild.
Hey, 4 third party titles in the top 5 :x

giphy.gif

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
How many copies do the Just Dance games sell on Wii? 3,000? Like, I'm curious to know at what point is it not worth it for Ubisoft anymore?

PS: I love that Ubi is keeping the Wii alive.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
How many copies do the Just Dance games sell on Wii? 3,000? Like, I'm curious to know at what point is it not worth it for Ubisoft anymore?

It was in Amazon UK's November 2018 best seller top 50.
Switch has overtaken it but Wii still seems to be the second best selling platform for Just Dance.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I don't have a better source but VGCZ indicated ~250K for JD 2019 on the Wii.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Was going by time:

ps2
march 2000(console release) - november 2013(pro evo 2014 release)

wii
november 2006(console release - november 2019 (current scheduled last release)

If wii got a just dance 2021 releasing in late 2020, it would outdo the ps2 record.
Thats a better way since both PES and FIFA started before the PS2 and both were out on launch year while Just Dance actually started on the Wii some years after launch

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
imagine the kind of person who buys just dance 2019 for the wii. just imagine.
I know several of them. They were casual players who used to buy consoles but transitioned towards playing games on smartphones. They were never interested in upgrading consoles anymore but still have a Wii lying around to pull out for local multiplayer games now and again, especially at christmas.
Gaming is a lot broader than just the folks who buy the latest console every generation.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Thread is weird ... a print of a tweet and a link to a diferent tweet O.o

here is the actual tweet using the twitter function of this site for those who are like me and want to retweet it

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
For at least some of those years the Wii version was still the best selling (I think even 2017). Switch eventually took over

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting you mention this because I bought Sonic Colors and that Nights into Dreams game to play with my daughter at Gamestop recently. The cashier was incredulous, smirked a bit and asked why I was buying Wii games and kept trying to upsell me on Switch stuff. It was very annoying, not everybody has to play the absolute latest cutting edge stuff.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Yep. Cutting it real close there though. Almost had to turn in your gamer cred card for purchasing a product you enjoy on a platform you enjoy it on.
To be even more edgy, I might get JD2020 on Wii too. The other option I'm considering is Stadia. It would be cool to be able to play it anywhere, since they added the feature of your phone being a controller/sensor a couple editions ago.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Is Wii version exactly same as other versions?

Imagine programmers who are stuck with a Wii devkit. If it is truly cross platform it means no new C++ features. Even C++ 11 (major standard update). 64 Mb RAM limitation, etc.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I think Nintendo shipped 300k of Mario Kart Wii worldwide. If we assume at least 150k to USA, and Mario Kart Wii is not on the list...

Edit: I was wrong, it was 100k ww.

interestingly, using the wayback machine, we can see that during FY2019, MKWii outsold NSMBWii worldwide (100k vs 60k). That means that NSMBWii has better legs than MKWii, but only in the US, although the latter still sold more :

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's interesting you mention this because I bought Sonic Colors and that Nights into Dreams game to play with my daughter at Gamestop recently. The cashier was incredulous, smirked a bit and asked why I was buying Wii games and kept trying to upsell me on Switch stuff. It was very annoying, not everybody has to play the absolute latest cutting edge stuff.
That's stupid, they sell them for a reason.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Honestly, at that point I would have told him to fuck off and gone to another store.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, at that point I would have told him to fuck off and gone to another store.
They have really good prices and are a lot more convenient than waiting days for a game to be shipped and arrive at my house. Usually I have a good experience at Gamestop so don't take this as me bashing the whole store, I've had less than a handful of bad experiences in 20+ years of shopping there. but there is this attitude among some gamers that old games aren't worth playing which is patently ridiculous.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They have really good prices and are a lot more convenient than waiting days for a game to be shipped and arrive at my house. Usually I have a good experience at Gamestop so don't take this as me bashing the whole store, I've had less than a handful of bad experiences in 20+ years of shopping there. but there is this attitude among some gamers that old games aren't worth playing which is patently ridiculous.

Sure, I get it. And it's just crazy that some gamers and Gamestop employees and such look down on old games and old systems. In particular when talking about games that recent. Fun games don't stop being fun just because the generation changes.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I certainly can imagine three types of people.

1) Someone who is secure in the life choices. Ie I don't need anything else if I can buy Just Dance for my Wii
2) A commercial purchaser like the schools, rehabs, etc.
3) Someone who is poor and gets a lot of life out of their second hand consoles.

None of them are to be mocked.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The most curious thing about this is the fact that there are sealed copies of JD 2016 and 2017 selling. Where are these being bought from, and why? I understand buying the newest version....