• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I think BotW has more than hit the mainstream market at this point. Games for people like us don't have legs like this. We're day 1 people.

Yup. More broadly, single-player games with little to no online components still don't leg out like this. Look at the other mega-evergreens - Minecraft, GTA, MK8, all online/MP centric games (GTAV of course started off huge as a SP but then GTA online pushed it to become a historical sales phenomenon).

To do it as an (mostly) single-platform game is even more impressive. Within its genre, its final sales figures are going to be maybe in the low-mid 20M range.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. More broadly, single-player games with little to no online components still don't leg out like this. Look at the other mega-evergreens - Minecraft, GTA, MK8, all online/MP centric games (GTAV of course started off huge as a SP but then GTA online pushed it to become a historical sales phenomenon).

To do it as an (mostly) single-platform game is even more impressive. Within its genre, its final sales figures are going to be maybe in the low-mid 20M range.

Skyrim is the comparison here, but the fact that Zelda will probably come very close if not outright outsell skyrim on a single platform is extremely impressive

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
It's not that SMO is not living up to its sales potential, it's that BOTW is just a beast.

This. To me it looks more like for some reasons Zelda always failed to show it's true sales potential in old Nintendo console, and now it's showing for the true beast it is. Of course being one of the best game ever made and being on Switch helped but yeah...

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Skyrim is the comparison here, but the fact that Zelda will probably come very close if not outright outsell skyrim on a single platform is extremely impressive

Skyrim was at >30M right after the launch of the Special Edition in Q4 2016. Since then we've had Skyrim VR and Skyrim Switch launch, so a few million sold between those two, plus ongoing sales of the older SKUs should put it at probably the 35-40M ballpark. That's across six platforms (PS3/PS4/360/XBO/PC/NSW). BOTW (Switch only) I am projecting hitting 19.5-20M by holiday 2020 (average of 1M per quarter for the next 6 quarters which includes 2 holiday quarters), and then pulling another 3-5M for the remainder of the Switch lifecycle. That's 23-25M + 2M Wii U. 25-27M total across two platforms - a considerable % of Skyrim's LTD.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim was at >30M right after the launch of the Special Edition in Q4 2016. Since then we've had Skyrim VR and Skyrim Switch launch, so a few million sold between those two, plus ongoing sales of the older SKUs should put it at probably the 35-40M ballpark. That's across six platforms (PS3/PS4/360/XBO/PC/NSW). BOTW (Switch only) I am projecting hitting 19.5-20M by holiday 2020 (average of 1M per quarter for the next 6 quarters which includes 2 holiday quarters), and then pulling another 3-5M for the remainder of the Switch lifecycle. That's 23-25M + 2M Wii U. 25-27M total across two platforms - a considerable % of Skyrim's LTD.

Yeah I guess I was looking at slightly older numbers. Thinking about the best selling single player games of all time what would that list look like?

Wii Fit and Skyrim would definitely be up there

I have to imagine both ES6 and BotW2 or next gen Zelda will be more multiplayer focused.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I don't know what I am more impressed with:

• Six Nintendo published games in the top ten in July.
  • Two Sony first party games in the top ten in 2019 (thus far).

Both are really great to see!

A shame that the Xbox One doesn't have anything positive to contribute, either software or hardware wise.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Really long legs for Forza Horizon 4, despite it being on Gamepass.

Seems it's clearly supplanted the mainline Forza line in popularity.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Madden is a game that people who talk about games don't talk about, if that makes any sense. Its huge audience is silent, but they always comes back every year.
There are people who own a PS4 and/or xb1 just for madden and 2k. They might sometimes get something like CoD or even something more unique but still in a comfortzone such as metal gear solid but they probably make up the majority of console owners as you said

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A shame that the Xbox One doesn't have anything positive to contribute, either software or hardware wise.
Both results are remarkable, and show how well Nintendo and Sony are managing their first party output this generation.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons BotW is so successful is due to it being a traditional open world game that parents can actually feel comfortable letting their kids play. The game has far broader appeal in that sense than something like GTA, RDR, and Skyrim.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons BotW is so successful is due to it being a traditional open world game that parents can actually feel comfortable letting their kids play. The game has far broader appeal in that sense than something like GTA, RDR, and Skyrim.
Actually you would be surprised at how popular Skyrim is with kids.
There really isn't much in it that's "kid unfriendly".

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh, I'm sure it is. GTA is popular with kids too!

But both are M rated games and I'd assume many parents wouldn't want their children playing it at a young age (even though they do lol).
Oh yeah, that's fair haha.
Although really, I don't quite understand why Skyrim is rated M. Most likely it's the killcam.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is an absolute sea-change in the series' popularity and profile.

It's comparable to nothing short of GTA III or Skyrim in terms of the impact it had, on its own series and (potentially) on its genre.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible hold from Mario Maker 2.

Mortal Kombat holding well. Deserved, it's a really good game and the last balance patch made it even better.

Crash Team Racing dropped hard. Probably helped push forward shitty microtransactions earlier since Activision realized it wasn't getting many new sales anyway. On one hand I'm disappointed because I think the game is incredible to play and master, but on the other the addition of microtransactions this month along with beenox being slow to address certain issues really burnt me out. I'll still be playing it, but I don't blame anyone for being turned off now.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Mario Maker or Mario Kart is going to knock Days Gone or MLB out of the Top 10 YTD next month. I imagine they are right on the brink of the Top 10.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is really taking advantage of the summer slump, and that's a good thing. Maybe in a few years, other publishers will pick up on it.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is going to absolutely crush this holiday season with a $200 Switch Lite on shelves. If they do a Black Friday or Holiday bundle with Mario Kart for $200, it could be the best holiday for Nintendo in terms of units sold in years.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Global Quarterly Shipments

orMXXSo.png

Quarterly Average

BOTW - 1,361,000
SMO - 2,134,286

Quarterly Average Post Launch Quarter

BOTW - 1,205,556
SMO - 978,333

There have been 6 quarters following the launch of SMO. In this time, it has moved an additional 5,870,000 units. BOTW in the same time period has shipped 6,910,000 units. SMO pulled ahead of BOTW in Q2 and Q3 FY18 by a total of 230,000 but BOTW stayed ahead in Q1/Q4 FY18 and Q1 19 by a total of 1,270,000. We will see if last year's trend of SMO winning Q2/3 continues (unlikely for Q2 IMO).
The telling number that BOTW was going to be crazy there is that it started out with a 100.7% attach rate. More copies of Zelda were sold that there were Switches out in the first quarter.

Oct 25, 2017
Mat's commentary

Smash Ultimate is currently the No. 2 Best selling fighter in the U.S., and looks to replace Brawl as No. 1

MLB: The Show '19 may surpass MVP Baseball 2004 in a couple months according to Mat.

Mat missed Breath of the Wild becoming the best selling Zelda in the US earlier. And apparently its already No. 1 with just Switch version sales.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Mat's commentary

Smash Ultimate is currently the No. 2 Best selling fighter in the U.S., and looks to replace Brawl as No. 1

MLB: The Show '19 may surpass MVP Baseball 2004 in a couple months according to Mat.

Mat missed Breath of the Wild becoming the best selling Zelda in the US earlier. And apparently its already No. 1 with just Switch version sales.

I wish we had unit sales. I really want to know what the US >10M chart looks like and how close some of these Switch titles will get to it (or how far they surpass it in the case of MK/Smash and maybe a few others).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

(Thus far)

Does sony even have another exclusive thisvyrae

The two sony games are 9 and 10 and likely to fall out of the 2019 top ten as the big fall games like cod, star wars hit.

Probably gears 5 has as much chance to end the year in the top 10 or more than days gone or mlb 19. Isnt minecraft also published by ms?

Also, we dont get hardware sales and ps4 and xbox wasnt mentioned at all in hardware so that part was odd

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
All I know is that I don't anticipate playing anything but FE for awhile. However, too many good games coming out for Switch, and too many vouchers. I'm honestly not sure I'm picking up Astral Chain day one anymore. I might, but even if I do won't have time to play it. FE has consumed me as only one other tactical RPG ever has - FFT.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Mat's commentary

I'm actually kind of surprised that ultimate hasn't already outsold brawl in the US, considering it's already well ahead worldwide. I wonder if it's because of digital?

It's possible that physical only, ultimate is still behind brawl worldwide too, I guess

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo is going to absolutely crush this holiday season with a $200 Switch Lite on shelves. If they do a Black Friday or Holiday bundle with Mario Kart for $200, it could be the best holiday for Nintendo in terms of units sold in years.

I do wonder if it'll see any bundles this year. If it truely gets a bundle like that it'll rival DS/wii peak numbers IMO. Probably not quite to those extremes but the sales will be monstrous.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
EDIT: Double post, thought I was in a different thread . XD

[/MEDIA]

Mortal Kombat 11 already there in lifetime sales (the 3 recent games are there even) , and both Injustice games made it even.

Thought Tekken 3 would make it. Or one of the older MK games.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure eventually the Breath of the Wild template will grow stale and tired, just like the Ocarina one did; but we're a long time away from that for now.
Yep and OOT wasn't even fresh when it came out, it was just the LTTP template but in 3D. The real leap was the 3D graphics and the verticality of the dungeons and the 3D puzzles. They could keep BOTW template as is and layer LTTP style dungeons on top and it would feel fresh for several more iterations but I feel like we'll gen an even more massive overworld next time.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised that ultimate hasn't already outsold brawl in the US, considering it's already well ahead worldwide. I wonder if it's because of digital?

It's possible that physical only, ultimate is still behind brawl worldwide too, I guess
Brawl sold somewhere close to 6 million in the US. Ultimate sold over 3 million in December 2018, but I doubt that it has broken 5 million since... not counting digital that is.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl sold somewhere close to 6 million in the US. Ultimate sold over 3 million in December 2018, but I doubt that it has broken 5 million since... not counting digital that is.
Ultimate sold around 3.6m in December alone.

For the year, given its chart placement, it is surely below 1.4m and probably in the 4.5m-5m range