• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to The NPD Group and Venturebeat for the breakdown.

Here are the numbers for March 2018:
  • Total: $1.316 billion (down 11 percent from $1.478 billion in March 2017)
  • Hardware: $331 million (down 32 percent from $485 million)
  • PC and console software: $613 million (down 10 percent from $682 million)
  • Accessories: $372 million (up 20 percent from $310 million)
SOFTWARE

"Far Cry 5 debuts as the top-selling title of March 2018 and instantly becomes the best-selling title of 2018," NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. "Far Cry 5 set a new launch month sales record for the Far Cry franchise, with consumer spending on full-game sales nearly doubling that of previous franchise best, Far Cry 3. Publisher Ubisoft is the leading publisher in both March and 2018 year to date (January through March)."

Far Cry 5 swept the console charts, but it's not the only new game that saw success last month. Microsoft and Rare's co-op pirate simulator Sea of Thieveslaunched on March 20 and earned a No. 2 spot in the best-sellers list despite only rolling out to Xbox One and Windows 10. Its debut came after several closed-beta sessions that drummed up hype. More than a million players set sail on the open ocean within the first two days, crashing its servers at one point with all their plundering and pillaging.

"Sea of Thieves was the second best-selling game of March, and is the eighth best-selling game of 2018 year to date," said Piscatella. "Sea of Thieves generated the highest launch month sales for any title produced by developer Rare since tracking by The NPD Group began in 1995."

Along with Far Cry 5, other franchises also set launch month records. Sony's MLB 18: The Show and Hal Laboratory's Kirby: Star Allies both had the best-selling debuts in their series histories.

Kirby Star Allies has had the strongest debut month of sales in the U.S. in the franchises' history, according to The NPD Group. The Switch side-scroller had a 90 percent better debut month than 2002's Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, which last held that distinction

The Kirby record is in terms of revenue

HARDWARE
Compared to March 2017, consumers spent less on hardware last month — $331 million, down 32 percent from $485 million. But year to date, hardware-spending is at a high, generating $925 million so far in 2018. This was driven mainly by Microsoft's Xbox One, though Sony's PlayStation 4 remains the best-selling console in March and 2018. The Nintendo Switch 32GB with red and blue Joycon controllers was the best-selling hardware in March and 2018.

While folks weren't spending as much on consoles last month, accessories saw an uptick thanks to the popularity of multiplayer games like certain wildly popular battle royale hits.

Full hardware notes. This should help.

Hardware

• Hardware spending in March 2018 declined 32 percent when compared to a year ago, to $331 million.
  • For the 2018 year to date period, hardware spending has increased 13 percent to $925 million, driven by growth in Xbox One spending. This is the highest year to date total achieved since 2014.
  • Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console hardware platform in March, and remains the best-selling console hardware platform year to date.
  • The Nintendo Switch 32GB with Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con is the best-selling hardware item of both March as well as 2018 year to date.

RANKINGS

1. Far Cry 5
  2. Sea Of Thieves
  3. MLB 18: The Show
  4. Kirby Star Allies*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Call of Duty: WWII
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. Monster Hunter: World
  11. Super Mario Odyssey*
  12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  13. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds**
  14. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  15. A Way Out**
  16. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  17. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  18. FIFA 18**
  19. Splatoon 2*
  20. UFC 3
*No digital sales included
**No PC digital sales included

Xbox One
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. Sea Of Thieves
  3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Monster Hunter: World
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. A Way Out
  9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  10. Assassin's Creed: Origins
PlayStation 4
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. MLB 18: The Show
  3. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Monster Hunter: World
  6. Call of Duty: WWII
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. A Way Out
  9. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  10. FIFA 18
Nintendo Switch (physical only)
  1. Kirby Star Allies
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  7. Pokken Tournament DX
  8. Bayonetta 2
  9. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  10. ARMS
Nintendo 3DS
  1. Detective Pikachu
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  3. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  4. Mario Kart 7
  5. Super Smash Bros.
  6. Minecraft
  7. Super Mario Maker
  8. Super Mario 3D Land
  9. Kirby: Battle Royale
  10. Mario Party: The Top 100
The best-selling games of 2018 so far
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K18
  7. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds**
  8. Sea Of Thieves
  9. MLB 18: The Show
  10. Mario Kart 8*
The best-selling games over the last 12 months
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2**
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Super Mario Odyssey*
  6. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017**
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Mario Kart 8*
  9. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*

Last edited:

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talent always wins

s2nmOF4.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick thoughts (I know I am cross-posting, but for the new thread):
  • Far Cry 5 topped, as expected
  • Sea of Thieves did great! Congratulations to Microsoft and Rare
  • Oof, that Monster Hunter drop :(
  • Bummed at no Detective Pikachu in the All Format Top 20 :(
  • Really happy that Breath of the Wild continues remaining a fixture on the 12 Month's Top 10 over a year after launch :D
  • PS4 best selling console, and Neon Switch best selling SKU is great. Xbox driving revenue growth is also great :D
Sounds like a good month overall.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Best-selling debut for a Kirby game. Good stuff for a franchise that usually coasts to a holiday.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Pressures on Rare to make Sea of Thieves grow after getting off to a great start.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
SoT performed better than I had anticipated.

Shoutout to MLB and Kirby for historic franchise debuts.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect Sea of Thieves to do so well. Wow.

Edit: Kirby too. Man... good month for all three.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Sea of Thieves at 2 legitimately shocks me. Mostly because I came away from playing on Game Pass pretty disappointed because of the lack of content. But what's there is really good, so definite congrats on that. I hope MS/Rare keep adding to it, because it's got a solid foundation.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh I wouldn't have guessed that MLB the Show would have its best launch ever. Any idea what spurred that?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't pay as much attention to it but MLB The Show seems to clean up every year even if it isn't generating the huge buzz of other games that release. What are the sales numbers for this series?

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
People are shocked Sea of Thieves did so well? Even after Microsoft announced it as the fastest selling new IP of theirs? Ok. Sure, I guess. I expected it to do extremely well right out of the gate.

Happy enough to see NNK2 charting, and being placed 3rd on the PS4 list.

Last edited:

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by how well Kirby did on Switch. Glad Sea of Thieves did well, I'm rooting for Rare. Good month for all consoles too, I hope this continues!

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought nobody was going to buy Microsoft first party games anymore because of Game Pass.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected Sea of Thieves, Kirby and MLB to be in the top. I don't get what's so surprising. They're all the biggest exclusives for each console.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like SoT is a success or not can be finally put to rest. Killed it!

Congrats!

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves at #2 - Wow
Ni No Kuni 2 at #8 - Wow...
Kirby at #4 - WOW

Also... wow... March was a really dry month. Why the heck did Yakuza move? Fiscal year shenanigans? It could have really done damage in this month.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nice debut for Kirby, hopefully they make another one that is more polished and awesome!
About hardwaren I don't understand. Is the Switch Neon the best selling hardware or is it the PS4?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are shocked Sea of Thieves did so well? Even after Microsoft announced it as the fastest selling new IP of theirs? Ok. Sure, I guess. I expected it to do extremely well right out of the game.

Happy enough to see NNK2 charting, and being placed 3rd on the PS4 list.
It's more like people thought most would just use the 14 days Game Pass trial and not buy the game.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at NPD results this gen is way more heartening than it was last gen. All three platform holders have finally got strong hardware sales and there's a greater variety of games on the charts. Far from the gloom and doom of last gen.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not that big into numbers but I'm absolutely delighted for Rare, hope they can build the player pool over the months to come with all the content updates they have planned too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Way to go Kirby.

Also this quote from the OP is confusing the hell out of me:

This was driven mainly by Microsoft's Xbox One, though Sony's PlayStation 4 remains the best-selling console in March and 2018. The Nintendo Switch 32GB with red and blue Joycon controllers was the best-selling hardware in March and 2018.

Edit: ah answered above. They should probably have clarified that.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Some seriously impressive software debuts. Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves, and Kirby are all impressive (Kirby without Digital even).

No No Kuni doesn't seem as bad as some expected. Not sure of numbers though so hard to say????