• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Oh wow, so that SoT sales only include digital from Xbox Store (of course, the digital card can be purchased for using on W10). That's even more impressive.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
Not sure whats vague about it. First when we got the 2m players stuff people downplayed because offcourse that was because of Gamepass and probably 60% of all players are Gamepass players.
And now it did well in retail and Gamepass is "downplayed". Not against you personally because i dont think you ever said the first thing. But like i said. Its fun to see how it changes.

Whenever someone mentioned possible gamepass users, it was considered "downplay" my people who were happy of SoT's numbers. The fact is, we didn't know and most people wanted to wait until more information was out.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Happy for Rare being rewarded for making their own awesome Rare games rather than someone else's idea of a Rare game. The game is a breath of fresh salty air among all the other great games coming out right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital tracking is currently done for the Xbox, PlayStation and Steam digital platforms only. Digital sales of SoT on Windows X store are not included in the rankings.

And I'm a bit surprised around the confusion on the hardware notes. I clearly identify PS4 as the best-selling hardware platform, with Neon Switch as the best-selling hardware item. But I guess some folks don't differentiate between the two terms. Really not sure how it could be any more clear other than just eleiminating one of the notes.
I think using the term SKU (which is the term most people are familiar with) might have helped.
It's just me spitballing, though, I personally didn't have much trouble differentiating

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved for Far Cry 5. Really enjoyed my time with it and looking forward to the dlc. It looks like another great month for everyone and really surprised at Sea of Thieves, I thought it would end up at 3 behind Far Cry and The Show.

Feb 26, 2018
It's above MLB The Show on a revenue based list.
MLB The Show 17 was among the 10 best selling games on Ps4 last year.
MLB The Show 18 has a franchise record launch month.
MLB The Show 18 has several high priced SKUs above $60.

Sea of Thieves beat that with just one single $60 SKU.
The Sea of Thieves performance is beyond impressive imho.

Two can play this game

SoT has a 7 days headstart
SoT is a hyped first party game on a console that lacks them

I never said that SoT performance is bad or not impressive. Just wanted to know if there is any more information about it. So your passive aggressive fanboy response is not warranted.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why?

The gap between PS4 and PS4 pro not great enough while the X has a much larger performance boost.

Would like to know why the X at a higher price seems to have had a more profund effect than the Pro.

I think it makes perfect sense. The original xbox one is draftily under powered, while the regular ps4 is powerful enough. There really isnt any need for ,much of the ps4 fanbase to upgrade to the ps4 pro. While most gamers right now are on 1080p tvs ps4 can handle that. while just to get to 1080p on most games for the xbox one you would need an X. Ps4 Pro is just there if you want it. you dont really need it, because the ps4 itself is good enough.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when has the Switch been having discounts? Is it that hard to grasp that I'm talking about Microsoft?
Is it that hard to actually say what you mean instead of thinly veiled passive aggressive console war trolling?

Switch isn't a 5 year old console unlike the PS4.

I remember reading here that PS4 is still only $100 cheaper than the SW. Looking at Amazon it might be even smaller.

The fact that's it's still outselling the SW and has that price 5 years in gives Sony a lot of leverage in what they can do and when.
O- kay?
Conversely- Switch has had a slump in lineup, while PS4 has been receiving major big name releases all year. The fact that even with no games Switch is able to keep pace is pretty amazing.

This is all pointless, regardless. My original point was to call out the thinly veiled console warring nonsense. All consoles are doing well, as much as that might hurt some people to admit.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Hostility towards another member
Two can play this game

SoT has a 7 days headstart
SoT is a hyped first party game on a console that lacks them

I never said that SoT performance is bad or not impressive. Just wanted to know if there is any more information about it. So your passive aggressive fanboy response is not warranted.
LMAO

I just pointed out, that MLB is one of the best selling games every year in the US, with constant yearly growth like NB2K for example, and SoT was able to sell even considerably more.
I mean i could also give you historical MLB first month unit sales to get an even better idea of the sales performece about SoT

But in this case i rather go with a fanboy reply, so go fuck yourself...

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Since when has the Switch been having discounts? Is it that hard to grasp that I'm talking about Microsoft?

Is it that hard to grasp that there is at least some competition between Nintendo and Sony when it comes to moving units?

You either mistyped what you were going for or were flat out wrong. If you mean Microsoft, type Microsoft.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
When Pokemon and Smash come out, Switch gonna be on that throne Killmonger style.

I expect PS4 to crush it in April too with GoW releasing.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
We actually had hardware leaked week ago for those wondering

Switch: 308k

Still blows my mind that Wii U was selling literally around 10% of this around this time of year, and really every time of year outside of the Christmas season, for its entire existence.

Couldn't be happier that things have worked out swimmingly for Nintendo. It was kind of scary there for a few years.

It's a great time for everybody in the industry, really.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Sony will probably drop ps4 to 249 this E3. I don't see them dropping to 199. There's no reason to. Better to be profitable when it's already selling well at higher price points. I also won't be surprised if they do no price drops this E3.

If not at E3, I think we'll get a price drop in September.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
MS must be absolutely giddy over Sea of Thieves. Kudos to Rare. Glad the game was a hit for them. With continued support, it could easily be a must own title for every gamer and a big reason why game pass is a must have.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Those saying that the PS4 is a 5 year old console seem to be forgetting the half-gen refresh at the end of 2016...without the Pro how would the sales be? Same with the One X. The Switch isn't the only new hardware on the market and it's just good seeing all 3 doing well.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Switch isn't a 5 year old console unlike the PS4.

I remember reading here that PS4 is still only $100 cheaper than the SW. Looking at Amazon it might be even smaller.

The fact that's it's still outselling the SW and has that price 5 years in gives Sony a lot of leverage in what they can do and when.
I mean, most consoles are at their peak when they're at where the PS4 is in it's lifetime right now, so I'm not really sure why people are acting surprised that the PS4 is outselling NSW.

Oct 25, 2017
So Sea of Thieves actually did really well at retail plus digitally it looks like. That's great for Rare.

All that preemptive hand wringing about the sales not mattering ended up being for naught.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
MLB 18: The Show was March's third best-selling game, launching with an all-time debut month franchise high in consumer sales with growth of over 40 percent versus the previous franchise best, MLB 14: The Show.
Does this include PS3 and PSV sales from March 2014 or just PS4 sales in May 2014?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
O- kay?
Conversely- Switch has had a slump in lineup, while PS4 has been receiving major big name releases all year. The fact that even with no games Switch is able to keep pace is pretty amazing.

This is all pointless, regardless. My original point was to call out the thinly veiled console warring nonsense. All consoles are doing well, as much as that might hurt some people to admit.

Pretty much - not even talking about the big new 3rdParty releases this year like FighterZ, Monster Hunter or Far Cry 5 that are missing but also evergreen/mainstream games like Fortnite or GTA V. Its very impressive that Switch can keep up in Q1 when the most notable release was a Kirby 2D plattformer.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

I just pointed out, that MLB is one of the best selling games every year in the US, with constant yearly growth like NB2K for example, and SoT was able to sell even considerably more.
I mean i could also give you historical MLB first month unit sales to get an even better idea of the sales performece about SoT
Did we get software sales? (As in specific unit sold)
If so I missed these.

But in this case i rather go with a fanboy reply, so go fuck yourself...

Man, things escalated quickly...

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
DbnkpYmW4AE5VkM.jpg:large

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Those saying that the PS4 is a 5 year old console seem to be forgetting the half-gen refresh at the end of 2016...without the Pro how would the sales be? Same with the One X. The Switch isn't the only new hardware on the market and it's just good seeing all 3 doing well.
Even so, the Switch is a new platform for Nintendo. The Pro n X are the typical revisions, refreshes. Just with higher specs this time instead of just smaller, or bigger hard drive.

These mid gen refreshes sure have muddied the waters, lol.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
GTAV will never, ever die. It's crazy what an unparalleled sales phenomenon this game is.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Even so, the Switch is a new platform for Nintendo. The Pro n X are the typical revisions, refreshes. Just with higher specs this time instead of just smaller, or bigger hard drive.

I would say they are far more than just typical revisions. You've got the higher specs/4k and additions like 4k blu ray on the X. Sure they play the same games as the originals but the difference between the games seem almost cross-gen like. I bought a Pro because of how poorly MH ran on my launch PS4 for example.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I mean, PS4 would be selling really well regardless imo, but you can't really say that PS4 Pro is a typical revision: for one, it's significantly more powerful which would entice both current and future owners to jump in. Besides that, it coexists with the regular PS4 model, and that regular PS4 model got an actual revision with the PS4 Slim.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Thats quite the difference compared to past homeconsole upgrades. Factor in VR, 4K and co. they can obv. be much more attractive in terms of upgrade than just the same console a bit smaller like in the past.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Yup. I subbed for Sea of Thieves and intend on staying subbed for other games in the future.

That Gamepass got you, ha!

But seriously, the subscription system will ultimately benefit both developers and consumers.

More visibility, more playability, less initial commitment by the consumer unless inclined to purchase. I see this being a great, long term cornerstone of the X.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS4 is still doing those numbers and taking top spot without price cut is very impressive, I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The most impressive about how well PS4 is performing is that a lot of people already have the console. The point of slowing sales cause everybody interested have the machine is still far from now it seems.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, seems like the source of most confusion is the way the article summarized the notes. Well, something to look to improve for next month.

Thank you! Great performance for MLB 18.

Absolutely. One of the big differences right now for many titles is the premium priced digital SKUs that are available. That's allowing for higher ASPs without actually raising the price of the base game. I guess technically it's cheating a bit as for the most part the included content is DLC/MTX stuff and it's included in the full game revs. No real way around that, however.