• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Digital tracking is currently done for the Xbox, PlayStation and Steam digital platforms only. Digital sales of SoT on Windows X store are not included in the rankings.

And I'm a bit surprised around the confusion on the hardware notes. I clearly identify PS4 as the best-selling hardware platform, with Neon Switch as the best-selling hardware item. But I guess some folks don't differentiate between the two terms. Really not sure how it could be any more clear other than just eleiminating one of the notes.
Oh wow. The Neon Switch outsold the controllers like the Xbox and Dualshock controller?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Now y'all are just messing with me.
Ah ok so you meant single console/handheld SKU, not just any item like accessories.

I mean it's not that unbelievable to me as there are so many different variations of controllers nowadays with all the different controllers, where I could totally see that the sales for a particular SKU of controller could be lower.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
That Gamepass got you, ha!

But seriously, the subscription system will ultimately benefit both developers and consumers.

More visibility, more playability, less initial commitment by the consumer unless inclined to purchase. I see this being a great, long term cornerstone of the X.

Oh absolutely. I'm playing more games that I was intending to this year. And I'm playing kids games with my daughter that I would have never even considered purchasing. We're playing Super Lucky's Tail next. She loves watching and trying to control the characters.

I played Voodoo Vince with her and she runs around the room screaming, "Voodoo Vince, watch out!!!!!"

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Those saying that the PS4 is a 5 year old console seem to be forgetting the half-gen refresh at the end of 2016...without the Pro how would the sales be? Same with the One X. The Switch isn't the only new hardware on the market and it's just good seeing all 3 doing well.

Worth noting that the Switch's numbers this month were only ~20k below the PS4's second March, and significantly above the 2nd March for both the XBO and 3DS.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think it makes perfect sense. The original xbox one is draftily under powered, while the regular ps4 is powerful enough. There really isnt any need for ,much of the ps4 fanbase to upgrade to the ps4 pro. While most gamers right now are on 1080p tvs ps4 can handle that. while just to get to 1080p on most games for the xbox one you would need an X. Ps4 Pro is just there if you want it. you dont really need it, because the ps4 itself is good enough.

I don't think that theory makes as much sense as it may seem at first glance. Let's first account for brand fans on both platforms who are upgrading just because they're loyal customers, and they also want to have the best Xbox or the best PlayStation (so not really because they're experiencing inadequate performance or anything like that). Should there be more such people on Xbox? I don't see why, especially since there are more PS4 consoles out there, and the upgrade to the X is $100 more expensive than the upgrade to the Pro.

Then people who have made the jump to 4K, and are looking for the machine to showcase their new TV. Should there be more such people among those upgrading to Xbox One X from Xbox One (S) than those who are upgrading to Pro from their base PS4? Again I see no reason why that should be the case. The jump is once again more expensive for Xbox owners, there are less of them out there, and Xbox One S already has an UHD Blu-ray drive.

So let's finally consider the scenario you're proposing, Xbox One (S) owners who are upgrading to the X because they're dissatisfied with the machine's performance, and brand loyalty is just a secondary or even non-existing factor. If people are fed up with 900p or worse games on Xbox One (S), would it not be cheaper for them to upgrade to PS4 Slim or Pro? They'd also get the benefit of gaining access to PS4 exclusives that they can't play now, and still couldn't if they upgraded to the X. Most Microsoft's big games are already pretty good on the base hardware anyway (the biggest franchises are running at either native or dynamic 1080p), so they'd primarily be upgrading for multiplatform releases - something they can also get on PlayStation, alongside the PlayStation exclusives.

Nah, I think the biggest factors lie elsewhere. People who really appreciate having the best console hardware have probably not had Xbox Ones until now, they had PS4s. Now that Xbox One X has the best console hardware, they might be compelled to get it over the Pro. Those who are looking for a cheaper alternative to a decent gaming PC might also be willing to pay slightly more to get the best console hardware.

Those who are just looking to get the second or third console are probably more or less equally distributed. Xbox One owners who are getting the Pro as their secondary system have to pay less than the opposite group, and PS4 exclusives are very compelling. On the other hand, PS4 owners who are upgrading to the X have to pay more, but there are already more PS4 owners out there, and the BC program, Game Pass, UHD Blu-ray support, and the best (and most silent) hardware could all be pretty attractive to that group.

TL;DR
- I don't think that logic really supports the notion that there are more Xbox One (S) owners upgrading to Xbox One X than there are PS4 owners upgrading to PS4 Pro. At the same time, I think that there's a good chance that there are more PS4 owners upgrading to Xbox One X, than there are Xbox One (S) owners upgrading to PS4 Pro.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One had major discounts on March #FACT.

Remember Ps4 had 0, once Sony drops the price to 199$, Sky won't be a limit :p

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that the Switch's numbers this month were only ~20k below the PS4's second March, and significantly above the 2nd March for both the XBO and 3DS.
And that PS4's second March had the Bloodborne boost.
Apparently there is no such thing as a Bloodborne boost, lol

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Digital tracking is currently done for the Xbox, PlayStation and Steam digital platforms only. Digital sales of SoT on Windows X store are not included in the rankings.

And I'm a bit surprised around the confusion on the hardware notes. I clearly identify PS4 as the best-selling hardware platform, with Neon Switch as the best-selling hardware item. But I guess some folks don't differentiate between the two terms. Really not sure how it could be any more clear other than just eleiminating one of the notes.

Not your fault. Way too many people not approaching it with a willingness to ask if they are confused and instead jumping to making accusations or trying to point out someone was wrong.

As always, your contributions and presence are much appreciated!

Özgür

Nov 24, 2017
I am waiting for that $199/$299 price point for ps4 and pro just to see how mad it'll be.
Sony should have done it already, ps2 was $149 3 and half years after launch.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Great to see SoT and MLB The Show on top.

If I had more time to play, I'd give FC5 a try. Sadly, that is not the case with real life.

Oct 28, 2017

next time better include pictures, Mat!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
SoT was 2nd. Wow.

And it was on Game Pass. Great success for Rare and MS. Hopefully they build on it from here.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame a trash barebones game like Sea of Thieves sold well. Just allows developers and publishers to believe they can get away with releasing a poor product because they can supposedly fix it later.

lol ok.

Great for MS and Rare. I figured top 5 but #2 is amazing. Looking forward to see where Rare takes the game.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Oh absolutely. I'm playing more games that I was intending to this year. And I'm playing kids games with my daughter that I would have never even considered purchasing. We're playing Super Lucky's Tail next. She loves watching and trying to control the characters.

I played Voodoo Vince with her and she runs around the room screaming, "Voodoo Vince, watch out!!!!!"

That's awesome! My daughter is much too young for games atm but if she ever gets into gaming, I look forward to enjoying the hobby with her.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Second march comparison between different systems:

GBA: 832k
Wii: 721k
PS2: 362k
PS4: 330k
Switch: 308k
XBO: 229k
3DS: 225k
X360: 199k
PSP: 186k
DS: 184k
GC: 165k
Xbox: 165k
WiiU: 70k

For some reason march 2006 numbers are impossible to find but if I remember right both DS and PSP were around 200k.

Edit. Added DS and PSP numbers. Thanks Welfare and Ryng Manuel Tolu.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

For some reason march 2006 numbers are impossible to find but if I remember right both DS and PSP were around 200k.
I have

PSP: 186K
NDS: 184K

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

The Wii was a monster wow. I'm guessing the GBA had the GBA SP and a Pokemon game released.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

GBA was such a monster. That was Ruby/Sapphire release month right?

Edit

Ah that was the SP's release month as well.

Oct 26, 2017
It definitely offered a boost, I am not clear on how big it was.
Bloodborne didn't offer a boost, from what I recall PS4 console sales were actually down by 1k.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It's a game that appeals mainly to very dedicated core gamers, whom I would to pick up a PS4 early on

Good God, I didn't know the GBA and Wii were such beasts, it just makes their final numbers all the more disappointing

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo handhelds were always winning, born to win. I have no fucking clue how anyone with a hint of common sense, could ever think the Switch would do anything less than amazingly.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I have

PSP: 186K
NDS: 184K

Yeah. I also remember seeing something like that one time I looked for those. Thanks.

Edit. Oh. Competing numbers from Ryng_Fabulos_Tolu. What to believe =P

The Wii was a monster wow. I'm guessing the GBA had the GBA SP and a Pokemon game released.

GBA was such a monster. That was Ruby/Sapphire release month right?

Edit

Ah that was the SP's release month as well.

SP released late february and Pokemon in march. Killer combo. GBA was also just otherwise monster too in US. Launches aligned it sold more than PS2 during its first four years in US.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I also remember seeing something like that one time I looked for those. Thanks.

SP released late february and Pokemon in march. Killer combo. GBA was also just otherwise monster too in US. Launches aligned it sold more than PS2 during its first four years in US.

Yeah I always kind of wonder where it would have ended up if they hadn't launched the DS so early in the GBA's life. Certainly well beyond 100m.

Edit

Actually looks like the SP only released in Japan in February, March in the US.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Switch VS 3DS USA sales

Code:
+--------+--------+----------+
| months  | Switch |  3DS    |
+--------+---------+---------+
|Month  1|  906.000|  398.000|
|Month  2|  281.000|  194.000|
|Month  3|  165.000|  97.000 |
|Month  4|  216.000|  141.000|
|Month  5|  222.000|  89.000 |
|Month  6|  215.000|  235.000|
|Month  7|  309.000|  260.000|
|Month  8|  290.000|  252.000|
|Month  9|  775.000|  795.000|
|Month 10|1.500.000|1.606.000|
|Month 11|  270.000|  160.000|
|Month 12|  282.000|  262.000|
|Month 13|  308.000|  225.000|

After 13 months:
Switch - 5.739.000
3DS - 4.716.000

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I always kind of wonder where it would have ended up if they hadn't launched the DS so early in the GBA's life. Certainly well beyond 100m.

Edit

Actually looks like the SP only released in Japan in February, March in the US.

Yeah. 100 million was definitely on the cards without DS arriving so early. Also yeah you are right about SP. Somehow I mixed the dates. Makes sense though as those are insane numbers for march.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Welfare VS Ryng part 2 :P

ZuuulwX.png