• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good to sea See of Thieves did well. But hopefully not too well. I need single player Rare.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
do they even have a reason to drop the price??

They haven't and they won't.

Profits always come first.

I mostly think Sony is playing this the right way and I'm inclined to agree with you two, but I think it's an interesting question.

In the short term, it's definitely smart to sell your console for as much as people are willing to pay for it. On the other hand, one of their competitors is selling their mostly similar powered console for a much cheaper price and have recently picked up some momentum. Sure, they're taking a "hit" by selling their console for less, but going forward that is another person who has a chance to get invested in that ecosystem and possibly become a longtime consumer of Xbox and continually paying in to their services thus making the "gamble" of selling the console for less worth it.

Just "winning" a month is kind of a shortsighted approach. Playstation is competing with Xbox and Switch for sure, but they're also competing with PC's, phones and whatever else someone decides to spend their money on. With the way monthly subscriptions and digital purchasing has exploded, it's more important than ever to get people invested in to a consoles ecosystem for the current and also for road going forward when the next consoles launches as a major incentive to stick with the company they had before.

I just look at Playstation as possibly missing out on having a "moment" right now and they might be playing it more conservatively than needed. Fortnite is a bonafide phenomenon and they have a slew of outstanding exclusive games, but the upfront price is steep for a 4.5 year console. I know Black Friday is its own crazy thing, but I just looked it up and in 2016 they were selling the Uncharted 4 Slim model that also came with Last of Us and Ratchet for $249.99 and last year they had that wild $199.99 Slim deal. Right now a Slim with no games (but with 1tb as opposed to 500gb) costs $299.99. With Fortnite being the console mover it is now and Red Dead on the horizon, a lot of people are going to be looking at buying a console for the first time, and very often when most things are relatively equal, the cheaper option wins out.

Obviously, me playing armchair analyst I don't have the full picture. Stock might be a problem (I heard it is Japan) and that might be the reason they are doing it this way. It's just going to be real interesting to see how Sony plays its hand going forward.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Wii comp

Code:
+--------+--------+----------+
| months  | Switch |  Wii    |
+--------+---------+---------+
|Month  1|  906.000|  476.000|
|Month  2|  281.000|  604.200|
|Month  3|  165.000|  436.000|
|Month  4|  216.000|  335.000|
|Month  5|  222.000|  259.000|
|Month  6|  215.000|  360.000|
|Month  7|  309.000|  338.000|
|Month  8|  290.000|  381.000|
|Month  9|  775.000|  425.000| Switch hits holiday season
|Month 10|1.500.000|  406.000|
|Month 11|  270.000|  501.000|
|Month 12|  282.000|  519.000|
|Month 13|  308.000|  981.000| Wii hits holiday season
|Month 14|       |  1.350.000|
|Month 15|         |  274.000|
|Month 16|         |  432.000|
|Month 17|         |  721.000| Nintendo finally solves biggest supply issues with Wii
|Month 18|         |  714.000|

After 13 months:
Switch - 5.739.000
Wii - 6.021.200

This was the month Switch fell behind Wii's pace and will not get ahead again for long time (because Wii hit beastmode).

Edit. Sorry Ryng Manuel Tolu. Shamelessly used your code as a base =P

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Glad to see people didn't listen to reviewers about Sea of Thieves, great game and solid foundation for future content.

Very happy with those Far Cry numbers, best in the series.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
O- kay?
Conversely- Switch has had a slump in lineup, while PS4 has been receiving major big name releases all year. The fact that even with no games Switch is able to keep pace is pretty amazing.

I don't think PS4's big releases will have such notable affects on hardware at this point in its lifetime.

I mean, most consoles are at their peak when they're at where the PS4 is in it's lifetime right now, so I'm not really sure why people are acting surprised that the PS4 is outselling NSW.

The difference being that the PS4 has a late peak while also shipping a lot each FY.
Its seen less in NPD threads but yearly shipments wise its following a PS2 like curve:

Screen_Shot_2018-04-25_at_19.55.10.jpg

I used fiscal year shipments, and estimated PS4's latest FY shipment to be 19.5 million. This FY PS4 could hold a lot better than the PS2.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 sales have been incredible.

PS4 unit sales went up last year after it had already started to decline in 2016. This just doesn't happen.

Now granted, from a revenue perspective the console peaked a few years ago, but maintaining this kind of unit strength? Just doesn't happen that often.

Another problem with the arguments around rankings is that the gaps so far this year between the three consoles had been very small.

Switch is still on an amazing selling pace. Xone has had incredible growth year to date, and PS4 is holding at what were already remarkable levels.

It seems to make some unhappy, but right now there are no winners and losers in hardware. Each console is offering a unique selling proposition. Everyone is doing very well.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii comp

Code:
+--------+--------+----------+
| months  | Switch |  Wii    |
+--------+---------+---------+
|Month  1|  906.000|  476.000|
|Month  2|  281.000|  604.200|
|Month  3|  165.000|  436.000|
|Month  4|  216.000|  335.000|
|Month  5|  222.000|  259.000|
|Month  6|  215.000|  360.000|
|Month  7|  309.000|  338.000|
|Month  8|  290.000|  381.000|
|Month  9|  775.000|  425.000| Switch hits holiday season
|Month 10|1.500.000|  406.000|
|Month 11|  270.000|  501.000|
|Month 12|  282.000|  519.000|
|Month 13|  308.000|  981.000| Wii hits holiday season
|Month 14|       |  1.350.000|
|Month 15|         |  274.000|
|Month 16|         |  432.000|
|Month 17|         |  721.000| Nintendo finally solves biggest supply issues with Wii
|Month 18|         |  714.000|

After 13 months:
Switch - 5.739.000
Wii - 6.021.200

This was the month Switch fell behind Wii's pace and will not get ahead again for long time (because Wii hit beastmode).

Edit. Sorry Ryng Manuel Tolu. Shamelessly used your code as a base =P
I was going to ask around when the Wii's supply issues stopped but you already had it covered. Thanks for painting a comprehensive picture!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Switch is still on an amazing selling pace. Xone has had incredible growth year to date, and PS4 is holding at what were already remarkable levels.

It seems to make some unhappy, but right now there are no winners and losers in hardware. Each console is offering a unique selling proposition. Everyone is doing very well.
That's great news for the industry.
As long as we don't get another 8 year long gen that is.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

PS4 unit sales went up last year after it had already started to decline in 2016. This just doesn't happen.

Now granted, from a revenue perspective the console peaked a few years ago, but maintaining this kind of unit strength? Just doesn't happen that often.

Another problem with the arguments around rankings is that the gaps so far this year between the three consoles had been very small.

Throw us Xboxers a bone Matt!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why Sony would take their sweet time moving on from this gen. When the going is this good, why would you?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mostly think Sony is playing this the right way and I'm inclined to agree with you two, but I think it's an interesting question.

In the short term, it's definitely smart to sell your console for as much as people are willing to pay for it. On the other hand, one of their competitors is selling their mostly similar powered console for a much cheaper price and have recently picked up some momentum. Sure, they're taking a "hit" by selling their console for less, but going forward that is another person who has a chance to get invested in that ecosystem and possibly become a longtime consumer of Xbox and continually paying in to their services thus making the "gamble" of selling the console for less worth it.

Just "winning" a month is kind of a shortsighted approach. Playstation is competing with Xbox and Switch for sure, but they're also competing with PC's, phones and whatever else someone decides to spend their money on. With the way monthly subscriptions and digital purchasing has exploded, it's more important than ever to get people invested in to a consoles ecosystem for the current and also for road going forward when the next consoles launches as a major incentive to stick with the company they had before.

I just look at Playstation as possibly missing out on having a "moment" right now and they might be playing it more conservatively than needed. Fortnite is a bonafide phenomenon and they have a slew of outstanding exclusive games, but the upfront price is steep for a 4.5 year console. I know Black Friday is its own crazy thing, but I just looked it up and in 2016 they were selling the Uncharted 4 Slim model that also came with Last of Us and Ratchet for $249.99 and last year they had that wild $199.99 Slim deal. Right now a Slim with no games (but with 1tb as opposed to 500gb) costs $299.99. With Fortnite being the console mover it is now and Red Dead on the horizon, a lot of people are going to be looking at buying a console for the first time, and very often when most things are relatively equal, the cheaper option wins out.

Obviously, me playing armchair analyst I don't have the full picture. Stock might be a problem (I heard it is Japan) and that might be the reason they are doing it this way. It's just going to be real interesting to see how Sony plays its hand going forward.
The marketing for RDR will ensure it sells ps4s.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

This is the best part, we should all be happy that all of gaming is doing well, not just the companies we like.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Mat for checking about Ni no Kuni II, I really wasn't expecting to see it at #3 on the PS4 chart.

We now know there are at least 3 major markets where the game performed better than A Way Out : USA, Japan and France, offsetting an awful performance in the UK.

If I'm making that strange comparison, that's because A Way Out reached 1 million and I don't think it's impossible for Ni no Kuni II to do that too.

I've been completely taken by surprise by Ni no Kuni II and I'm among the 3% who Platinumed it :D

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I've been saying this every year, but I love this generation. The "space" for games I enjoy has been massive, including plenty I wouldn't have known I would even want, beforehand.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Right? You'd think even fanboys would just be happy that their consoles are doing well and leave it at that, but nope, some feel the need to unnecessarily drag down everything else for some reason.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll move a ton of PS4s on marketing and a ton of Xbox Xs because it'll look and play the best. Should be a win win for all involved

I think they are too late in the generation for a single game to make any significant difference, granted RDR2 will do really well but I do not see it moving much hardware at all. More than ever, price is what will be driving console sales. But basically after close to 5 years, PS4 has dropped $100 in price and it does not look like $200 is happening anytime soon, I have not paid too much attention to XB1 but do not think that is terribly cheap either.

Switch is still early in its life cycle, every major game is going to cause noticeable hardware spikes like when Pokemon releases (what will be something to watch in awe at). It is really weird how this generation has been in general though, the main reason for me finding it weird is that PS4 and XB1 have maintained their prices well. I would have thought that the addition of subs like PS+ would have made Sony drop price faster than last generation, but they are not doing so. It would be interesting to see if Sony and MS are making profits on their hardware base models, I assume PS4 Pro and XB1X are definitely profitable.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Mat for checking about Ni no Kuni II, I really wasn't expecting to see it at #3 on the PS4 chart.

We now know there are at least 3 major markets where the game performed better than A Way Out : USA, Japan and France, offsetting an awful performance in the UK.

If I'm making that strange comparison, that's because A Way Out reached 1 million and I don't think it's impossible for Ni no Kuni II to do that too.

I've been completely taken by surprise by Ni no Kuni II and I'm among the 3% who Platinumed it :D
Heads up, Ni no Kuni performed better in the US in revenue, while being twice as expensive and with collector's editions. If you want to gauge a race to 1 million, that's units, and there's no way of knowing if Ni no Kuni did better than A Way Out in this category. It probably did, but maybe not by as much as the charts would lead us to believe.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they are too late in the generation for a single game to make any significant difference, granted RDR2 will do really well but I do not see it moving much hardware at all. More than ever, price is what will be driving console sales. But basically after close to 5 years, PS4 has dropped $100 in price and it does not look like $200 is happening anytime soon, I have not paid too much attention to XB1 but do not think that is terribly cheap either.

Switch is still early in its life cycle, every major game is going to cause noticeable hardware spikes like when Pokemon releases (what will be something to watch in awe at). It is really weird how this generation has been in general though, the main reason for me finding it weird is that PS4 and XB1 have maintained their prices well. I would have thought that the addition of subs like PS+ would have made Sony drop price faster than last generation, but they are not doing so. It would be interesting to see if Sony and MS are making profits on their hardware base models, I assume PS4 Pro and XB1X are definitely profitable.
GTAV helped push ps3s when it launched way late into the consoles life. So RDR 2 could do the same.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Right. Of course. I was just adding it'll look amazing on the X and the freaking BC moved some X's.
At this point in the gen I don't think pro and x will push as much consoles, like the original poster said the cheaper options will win out and thats both slims. Even if Sony markets the game for pro, I believe most will get it on the cheaper system. Especially if they price drop later this year.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

You are overthinking it. It's RDR2 man. It'll move consoles.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DR - I don't think that logic really supports the notion that there are more Xbox One (S) owners upgrading to Xbox One X than there are PS4 owners upgrading to PS4 Pro.
Not that this isn't plausible - but given the relatively low adoption of both of these consoles, and the complete absence of "X" numbers, what exactly are we estimating all these behavioral patterns from?

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree 100%.

But the bold could be explained cause you have a little tendency to be polliticaly correct. It's no crime to say PS4 is a winner. Sony will have a huge task to make PS5 as sucessfull as PS4.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree 100%.

But the bold could be explained cause you have a little tendency to be polliticaly correct. It's no crime to say PS4 is a winner. Sony will have a huge task to make PS5 as sucessfull as PS4.

I some times think its hilarious when some say "Everyone Wins", when CLEARLY there is a winner that was number 1. But hey whatever works to keep everything calm and collective.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Not that this isn't plausible - but given the relatively low adoption of both of these consoles, and the complete absence of "X" numbers, what exactly are we estimating all these behavioral patterns from?

As far as this thread goes I believe it's highly speculative and possibly wrong. However, we've had earlier reports of Xbox One X selling better than PS4 Pro, launch aligned. It would be interesting if ZhugeEX could chime in and confirm whether that's still the case.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100%.

I some times think its hilarious when some say everyone wins, when CLEARLY there is a winner that was number 1. But hey whatever works to keep everything calm and collective.
AjfyC8ICIAEnmcL.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Give me a break. Each media release for the past months clearly states when PS4 leads hardware sales.

Speaking of this, theGames Industrycoverage of your report does a strange job in avoiding everything PlayStation related >.<

No mention of PS4 sales, and MLB 18 is the only title to be ignored. Not a big deal but if the author read this, maybe he should add one or two lines :D