• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see NNK2 in the top 10. Would be nice to get some numbers. Iirc the first one did 100k in its NPD debut.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
J3g7B4n.gif

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expected Sea of Thieves, Kirby and MLB to be in the top. I don't get what's so surprising. They're all the biggest exclusives for each console.

I'm not too sure about the other 2 but SoT has had it rough over here, what with the reviews and the uncertainty surrounding Game Pass affecting it and all that. Lots and lots of concern trolling basically, so it's good to see that it's pulled through despite that.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but NPD's rankings are by revenue now and not units sold right? So if I played Sea of Thieves via GP and spent $100 on in-game purchases, that counts towards the game's total revenue right?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
""Sea of Thieves generated the highest launch month sales for any title produced by developer Rare since tracking by The NPD Group began in 1995."

Anybody have numbers for the highest Rare Debuts?

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I'm now conflicted when I hear about npd and games that are available on games pass. If game pass takes off, then these NPDs will be irrrelevant (for Xbox games) right?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Is that Kirby growth new thread worthy though? Being the biggest debut for a Kirby ever in the US by a lot must mean something!
Like 90% increase over Nightmare in Dreamland like what the hell?

We know Triple Deluxe did 140k in its launch NPD so Kirby did at least 260k...damn Kirby

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but NPD's rankings are by revenue now and not units sold right? So if I played Sea of Thieves via GP and spent $100 on in-game purchases, that counts towards the game's total revenue right?
Only revenue from game sales count towards the top 20.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the game in its current state, but it's great to see SoT do so well, happy for Rare.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not at all. Microtransactions are not included in those rankings, though 'in game spending' or something to that effect is sometimes reported if I'm not mistaken.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
A bit surprise to see ps4 above the Xbone in the month with Sea of Thieves released, in the US. I remembered it was bundled for free with the xbone X.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Is that Kirby growth new thread worthy though? Being the biggest debut for a Kirby ever in the US by a lot must mean something!

We know Triple Deluxe did 140k in its launch NPD so Kirby did at least 260k...damn Kirby
I wouldn't think so if it weren't by such a large margin, so it may be.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Go Kirby Go!

I've not picked it up yet since I wasn't impressed with the demo but that's a great debut for the title.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know, is at least 260k thread worthy?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Wow SOT did that well, congrats to Rare. Now pump out that content fast, Matt was right then about the subscription increasing retail sales. Bodes well for SOD2 and CD3, well SOD2...lets see what CD3 looks like.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The doubters didn't believe in Kirby. His a banker for Nintendo but great to see such growth in the West.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
MLB, Kirby and Sea Thieves in the top 5.

A good month for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, that is tremendous. Even better with the added information showing the increase.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I'm not surprised at sot. People online trash it hard for lack of content (valid complaint) but it's a great game. Fundamentally, it's solid and it's also beautiful. Casuals aren't like most of people on gaming forums, they don't play games 20+ hours a week.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

Not if the growth is related to revenue.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone ever thought any of the big players might see hard times, run through this and count how many "best selling in the franchise," "best launch in the studio's history," and "increased YoY" quotes you see.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

There are no in-game purchases in Sea of Thieves yet, and their expected date of arrival (initially set to three months after the launch, if I remember correctly) has been pushed back.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the fact that there are more ps4's in the wild than ever before? Just a guess

If only it worked that way for most games lol.

I've flirted with the idea of buying it for the last 3 years now but I always hold off because there's too many other games, plus now I'm saving for a new GPU too. By the time the game is cheap enough baseball season is close to over and I no longer care about an "outdated" sports game anymore.

A bit surprise to see ps4 above the Xbone in the month with Sea of Thieves released, in the US. I remembered it was bundled for free with the xbone X.

It has a S bundle too. I got it during that gamestop promo where they were offering like $140+ for the launch xb1 but I traded the game in immediately, no interest in it.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow ni no Kuni charted at #8? Pleasantly shocked.

And congrats to sea of thieves. Wonderful job.

Everyone doing great all around. Let's hope it continues for the sake of the industry.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
So anyone think Donkey Kong TF will finally see sales it deserves now it is on a popular selling device

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Can ResetEra really go on considering itself the pulse of gaming if it continues to be so wrong about what interests the larger public?