• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Despite Sea of Thieves having huge issues with content, the wider gaming audience caught on to it. The retail package appeals to far more people than most of us realized.

Ni no Kuni II also had a surprisingly good commercial performance.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AjfyC8ICIAEnmcL.jpg

Best use of this meme I've ever seen. Bravo.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Right? You'd think even fanboys would just be happy that their consoles are doing well and leave it at that, but nope, some feel the need to unnecessarily drag down everything else for some reason.
They see the gaming industry as a zero-sum game — if a company or genre or field they don't like is doing well, that means fewer players/money/attention to the companies and genres and fields they do like. It's silly and irrational (like most other fanboy things), but that's what it is.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
They see the gaming industry as a zero-sum game — if a company or genre or field they don't like is doing well, that means fewer players/money/attention to the companies and genres and fields they do like. It's silly and irrational (like most other fanboy things), but that's what it is.

A tidal wave smashes all boats, do you want us all washed up on shore clinging to pieces of wood?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I wonder what the Switch total and base+Pro PS4 totals are for March. Neon Switch being the top selling individual SKU with PS4 beating it out in total is interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's really nice seeing such a varied game list in the top 20. I'm still blown away at how well GTA V continues to sell. I guess its the game everyone picks up when they buy a new console? Still wish Rockstar would do a Pro/X patch...

I some times think its hilarious when some say "Everyone Wins", when CLEARLY there is a winner that was number 1. But hey whatever works to keep everything calm and collective.

Eh, when these are usually put out to converse about who won. It seems as if some feel sorry for certain systems that they try to damage control it with the "All the consoles are doing well" Nah, forget that. I am honestly shocked that even with a new console, The xbox one has still yet to win an NPD. Thats just sad to be honest. People waited the whole year for it, and you are telling me it couldn't win 1 npd? Then they come out and lower the price in feb, while the ps4 stayed at its $299 price and still lost? Man thats crazy to me. Is there anything they can do to at least win 1 npd this year? Xbox hasn't won one npd since 2016, that is terrible.This impact this impact that, means nothing when you cant even beat out the switch and ps4... smh
I apologize for being a "post history detective" (or whatever), but are you really going to do this every month? NPD conversations would be so fucking boring if all we talked about was who won and who lost; there is so much more to discuss. To think that only the winner can do well is such a strange concept.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Now we wait to see just how well God of War has done. I figure some Sony PR will drop about the first day/week sales in the next week to give us a good idea of what to expect. After seeing 50+ people waiting in line at the tiny local Gamestop for the 9pm launch I wonder how big a launch it was.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now we wait to see just how well God of War has done. I figure some Sony PR will drop about the first day/week sales in the next week to give us a good idea of what to expect. After seeing 50+ people waiting in line at the tiny local Gamestop for the 9pm launch I wonder how big a launch it was.

There has to be a PR statement coming soon for God of War, no way it didn't break all kinds of records.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
A $99 headset was the top selling? Surprising.

Also surprising was that the Xbox Live $25 card was the best selling game card.

Both of these are revenue, right?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony should probably get their studios on next gen because it takes them for fucking ever to make games these days. Not their fault, but just in general.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
This is the best part, we should all be happy that all of gaming is doing well, not just the companies we like.

So much this. I am primarily PC + PS4, but shared success is much better for everyone, along with some hard reality checks from time to time. PS3s failures brought us great 1p exclusives to close the gen out, and a great platform in PS4. X1s initial and especially 2014 failures brought us some of the best consumer friendly moved in gaming history from MS. I haven't cared about Xbox since OG, but have to give credit where it's due. Opening the market for crossplay is a genius move for sure. And Nintendo's frustrating mess of the WiiU turned into the Switch choice. Clearly a huge success even if it doesn't interest me any more. Had launch model and definitely happy for those that love it, in fact it's better that it's different. PSXBPC share 90% of the library anyway, so NSW shakes it up. Not interested personally until a dirt cheap one end of gen just to use as a set top box though. I'm sure there will be a few games I can't miss.

Winning for everyone! I also see signs that the GPU price crunch may be coming to and end, and PC gaming may have never been this good this century, so just an awesome overall situation.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I some times think its hilarious when some say "Everyone Wins", when CLEARLY there is a winner that was number 1. But hey whatever works to keep everything calm and collective.

I've explained this to you in another NPD thread.

The reason many of us don't play the winners and losers game in these threads, particularly in a month like this, is pretty simple - many of us aren't fanboys.

Yes, Sony sold the most hardware. But if you actually see our collective praise of the healthiness of the video game industry in NA as some sort of downplay of PS4's success, It might be time for a bit of reflection.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't we have some semi concrete console numbers in the prediction thread.

I don't get it, Microsoft led in total console revenue or is that counting software as well. Since the one S is the same price as base PS4, does that mean they sold a lot of 9ne X's. Or was the overall hardware with PS4 and Xbox close this month.

I could of swore I saw PS4 then close behind was Xbox and the switch was a little ways behind this month.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Sony most be wishing they charged for F2P games with Fortnite. Subs would be through the roof right now.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke i didn't get?
Do you have a source for this?

Because they Santa Monica said they're working on the new God of War since 4 years...
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/01/08/the-pitch-for-reimagining-god-of-war.aspx

And even if that makes a destinction between pre production and development, 1 1/2 years is extremely low and fast...
A joke.

A user on Gaf claimed everything we saw during the E3 2016 reveal was "smoke and mirrors" and that they hadn't really started development of the game yet. They were apparently using the reveal to gauge interest and go from there. He was pretty adamant about this and still doubled down in the Sony First Party thread here after the game came out.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is this a joke i didn't get?
Do you have a source for this?

Because Santa Monica said they're working on the new God of War since 4 years...
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/01/08/the-pitch-for-reimagining-god-of-war.aspx

And even if that makes a destinction between pre production and development, 1 ¾ years is extremely low and fast...
its in reference to the smoke and mirror comment we had from a user on gaf and here . he said sony had nothing build for GOW till the reveal in E3 2016 when the started the development .which means they had a year and half to make the game from scratch .funny part is he still insist on this after even cory himself called him out on the BS.Game has been in development for around 5 years

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Speaking of this, theGames Industrycoverage of your report does a strange job in avoiding everything PlayStation related >.<

No mention of PS4 sales, and MLB 18 is the only title to be ignored. Not a big deal but if the author read this, maybe he should add one or two lines :D
Nice, i found a good author to follow, only important info was mentioned. /s

I'm pretty sure it was unintentional

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so with PS4 at 299 and 399 selling like this 100 million is a lock.

If sony drops to 199 and 299 can they pass 130 million by 2023?(3 years after PS5 launches)

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A joke.

A user on Gaf claimed everything we saw during the E3 2016 reveal was "smoke and mirrors" and that they hadn't really started development of the game yet. They were apparently using the reveal to gauge interest and go from there. He was pretty adamant about this and still doubled down in the Sony First Party thread here after the game came out.
its in reference to the smoke and mirror comment we had from a user on gaf and here . he said sony had nothing build for GOW till the reveal in E3 2016 when the started the development .which means they had a year and half to make the game from scratch .funny part is he still insist on this after even cory himself called him out on the BS.Game has been in development for around 5 years
Okay thanks. That makes sense...

so with PS4 at 299 and 399 selling like this 100 million is a lock.

If sony drops to 199 and 299 can they pass 130 million by 2023?(3 years after PS5 launches)
Unless the Ps5 comes out early and is a better value proportion that kills Ps4 sales, 100 million is a given.
But both seems unlikely. An early Ps5 release and also a repeat of Ps3 sales dying fast after next gen launch this time around.

Ps4 end of life sales should end up between Ps1 and Ps2