• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
so with PS4 at 299 and 399 selling like this 100 million is a lock.

If sony drops to 199 and 299 can they pass 130 million by 2023?(3 years after PS5 launches)
You know it was just over 20M shy of that as of the end of 2017, right? 100M was a lock even if sales had dropped noticeably. 100M by March 2019 is even possible at this rate.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm sure it doesn't have a huge impact on their revenue, but I am incredulous that it's impossible to buy a 360 game or an original Xbox game on the Xbox One without using a credit card.

On the Xbox One if you try to use your Microsoft Account Balance on a BC game, it tells you to use a credit card. With Microsoft's growing focus on backwards compatibility, they really need to figure out a way to make it work.

You can't use Xbox or Microsoft Gift Cards to purchase content from the Xbox 360 Marketplace or Xbox 360 content on the Xbox One.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it doesn't have a huge impact on their revenue, but I am incredulous that it's impossible to buy a 360 game or an original Xbox game on the Xbox One without using a credit card.

On the Xbox One if you try to use your Microsoft Account Balance on a BC game, it tells you to use a credit card. With Microsoft's growing focus on backwards compatibility, they really needs to figure out a way to make it work.
Yea, even getting the 360 Games with Gold you need a credit card attached. I always thought that was strange.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
All depends on price. If they can get it to $149 permanently then I say 130M is a lock. If they can only do $199 then 115M.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QW7jkf7.jpg

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
This is a medal with 2 faces: if somebody wants to buy a console just to play fortnite they will buy a ps4 because they don't have to pay for on-line.
It gets people in and once they have PS4s they will likely get Plus or more games.

Everyone is praising gamepass for getting people to buy games that wouldn't otherwise, I think not charging for FTP has the same effect and probably better.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Game pass sales included? if not then wow amazing. SOT managed to make money even after relentless thrashing from everyone

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Four and half year old GTA V outsells a four month old Call of Duty game. Is this thing going to hit 125 million units by the time a GTA VI comes out? It was at 85 million five months ago, and never seems to slow down.

Hard to believe GTA IV is a ten year old game on Sunday... :-/

Sea of Thieves at #2 - Wow
Ni No Kuni 2 at #8 - Wow...
Kirby at #4 - WOW

Also... wow... March was a really dry month. Why the heck did Yakuza move? Fiscal year shenanigans? It could have really done damage in this month.

Why sell more copies when you can delay it to three days before the biggest single player PS4 exclusive ever? I'm still kinda amazed we have gotten this many Yakuza games stateside with the way Sega handles things. Glad Dead Souls didn't permanently derail the train, because Y5 (years after the fact) and Y0 are both top three games in the franchise. Hopefully I get to Y6 and YK2 during the inferno summer months, current timing is all kinds of bad.

Last edited:

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Xbox One being the main driver of revenue but PS4 still being the leading console (even at $299) must mean the Xbox One X is selling pretty well right?
Xbox doing "fine" considering every exclusive is on PC. But it's not gonna top chart anytime soon now, especially this year when Sony bringing yet another pack of AAA exclusives, starting with GOW and ending with Spiderman.

People should stop expecting Xbox to top sales now. There is no console only exclusives to push hardware.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be my favourite piece of information in the entire thread. I'm so curious about other oddball games somehow still getting tracked now lol

I like this kind of thing too.

Some other top-sellers by platform for March 2018:

Game Gear - Sonic 2
Cube - SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
NDS - Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay/Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest double pack
PS1 - Final Fantasy Anthology
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018
OG Xbox - Otogi 2: Immortal

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Game Gear - Sonic 2
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018
Should have been SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom. The GOAT of platformers.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Game Gear - Sonic 2
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018

*spits out drink*
game gear?!

haha, that's pretty fun info. We're probably talking... tens of units here, right?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Game Gear - Sonic 2
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018

I bet these titles (outside of Just Dance on the Wii) sold a grand total of 20 units combined.

Wait, for PSP and OG Xbox (and PS1 classics?), do you track digital sales?

Last edited:

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Xbox doing "fine" considering every exclusive is on PC. But it's not gonna top chart anytime soon now, especially this year when Sony bringing yet another pack of AAA exclusives, starting with GOW and ending with Spiderman.

People should stop expecting Xbox to top sales now. There is no console only exclusives to push hardware.
as if exclusives sell hardware.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I like this kind of thing too.Some other top-sellers by platform for March 2018:

Game Gear - Sonic 2
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018
Forget this stuff, give me the dope on Atari Lynx sales. I want to gauge the best time to sell my collection...

(That's a lie, I'd never sell it!)

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Game Gear - Sonic 2
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018
Sonic 2 on Game Gear? Wow

Also the Wii is a Just Dance machine.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Game Gear - Sonic 2
PSP - Pac-Man World 3
Wii - Just Dance 2018

Amazing. These are great!

I just looked it up: Pac-Man World 3 ships on UMD. There's a blast from the past.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Sea of Thieves sold a lot.. I wonder, though, how is the player retention going.

I don't buy a copy, since I got it on Game Pass, but I know I stopped playing after only a week.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*nods*

At the same time though, many indie developers are saying they're getting sales on Switch at or better than they are on other platforms.

Switch a great place to be, but also shows how tough it is on STEAM and other platforms for indies right now.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Switch a great place to be, but also shows how tough it is on STEAM and other platforms for indies right now.
on switch games are sold for actual money. on steam it's for a tip.
people whine about switch sales not giving low enough discounts and keeping prices high, but for indies it's just healthy to live in an environment where there's no constant race to the bottom. steam sales are obscene.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

*nods*

At the same time though, many indie developers are saying they're getting sales on Switch at or better than they are on other platforms.

Do you foresee that indies will have tough time to sell on the eshop 1-2 years from now?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You making the false assumption most console owners also game on PC. So shared exclusive with PC doesnt eat into console sales, thats why it's supported by MS, a console gamer is only ever going to compare options between PS4/Xbox/Switch. These shared exclusives are still a deciding factor, just as much as any platform only exclusives.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you foresee that indies will have tough time to sell on the eshop 1-2 years from now?

My concern is more immediate. We're seeing gold rush behavior there right now. Getting a dozen or so games a week, many of them good, and they're launching within an eShop that's not optimized for discoverability. By the time Q4 gets here the number of good titles showing up every week is just going to increase in scale. It's going to be very easy to get lost in all the new releases.

Indies seem to be selling quite well on the platform. Hoping we're going to see some improvements that make it easier for consumers to find them.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

*nods*

FY 18 is April 17 to March 18?
We have official numbers so we can calculate how many units for 3P and 1P ganes.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
the best place to hide a body is page 2 on google search. also goes for digital stores.

old but still true.
but how i hate people who start their powerpoint presentation with that slide and still expect to appear clever and edgy...

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the OG Xbox BC program will cause some of those old titles to bob to the surface of the charts again.