• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Damn, Nioh 2 wasn't far from the top 10. Shame, it's my GOTY so far.
Fantastic results for Switch!

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
amazing result for Persona

ImprobableGrimJay-size_restricted.gif

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
MLB managing to break sales when there isn't even a baseball season is honestly crazy.

Also I'm a bit confused by the Persona sales. Does March NPD just end on March 31? So all of those sales are from the first day?

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo with their artificial shortages smh
I mean who is not ready for a +1 million sales in a non holiday month?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Just between the US and Japan the Switch sold around 2m in a single non holiday month. Wow.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Craziness.

What was the total in Japan again? Something like 950k? And they needed to ship 1.5m units in Q4 to hit their FY goal?

We're probably looking at a 21-22m sold FY result.

Do you mean March or YTD in JP? 'cause W10-13 in Japan is 50+57+392+282=781k for March, missing a few days from W9 and W14.
YTD was at 1.7M at W13.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
MLB managing to break sales when there isn't even a baseball season is honestly crazy.

Also I'm a bit confused by the Persona sales. Does March NPD just end on March 31? So all of those sales are from the first day?

April 4th was the last day of the tracking period IIRC.

Do you mean March or YTD in JP? 'cause W10-13 in Japan is 50+57+392+282=781k for March, missing a few days from W9 and W14.

Ah I was thinking March, I guess I must have been confusing it with something else.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why would a publisher bring games to a console where they won't sell? Especially given they will likely have to downgrade the game significantly to even run?

Look, I hate EA as much as the next guy, but it's not hard to see why they'd rather focus on higher-end platforms.

But those games are selling fine on Switch.
Otherwise 2K wouldn't go all in on the device.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo putting up holiday numbers in March.

The Switch was destined to sell 100+ million. The Wii had a great start, but it fell off. The Switch has a slower start than the Wii, BUT it paces itself much better throughout it's life and grows on occasions

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
tenor.gif

Remember when people thought the 800-900k predictions were way too optimistic? lol

Also why the heck is Nintendo not releasing a PR? These are insane results.
Not sure if boasting about your own economic strength is a good idea in these times.

They also haven't released any numbers on Animal Crossing so far at all afaik, or did I miss something?

Pretty sure it's due to the current situation and not wanting to put sales in the spotlight?

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
DS era numbers are insane. Switch set a record for non-holiday numbers for a home console. Amazing

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still trying to wrap my head around that AC stat: more copies sold at launch than even New Leaf's total life-time sales?

Or rather, more revenue. I'm assuming New Horizons is a $60 game compared to something like New Leaf which would have launched at...what...$40 for the 3DS? Still, is it that far-fetched an idea to assume it's essentially more copies on top of more revenue?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How many units did AC NH sell?

We don't get actual numbers in these reports. We'll hear how much it sold through March 31st at the earnings release on May 7th.

Nintendo putting up holiday numbers in March.

The Switch was destined to sell 100+ million. The Wii had a great start, but it fell off. The Switch has a slower start than the Wii, BUT it paces itself much better throughout it's life and grows on occasions

Honestly it feels like we're looking at a DS-like sales curve rather than a Wii one, albeit at a lesser magnitude. I could see something like 125M lifetime at this point.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
They got multiplayer trophies again? Damn that sucks. So their more difficult to achieve than sixteens?

The multiplayer achievements/trophies in Eternal aren't too bad. I was able to get them all and had some fun doing it. I don't think I'll ever get all of 2016's multiplayer achievements though, that requires a huge time investment.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't get actual numbers in these reports. We'll hear how much it sold through March 31st at the earnings release on May 7th.

Honestly it feels like we're looking at a DS-like sales curve rather than a Wii one, albeit at a lesser magnitude. I could see something like 125M lifetime at this point.
Which is just insane. The greatest turnaround in video game history. The GC to Wii wasn't this huge.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
As to the question of the 2nd best Q1 since DS 2010, in the 2010 the Wii sold 1.422 million. But if the question is actually the 2nd after 2010, then the 360 sold 1.349 million in Q1 2011.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People usually jump at throats when they see someone saying this but:

Switch is destined to sell over 100M. That's not even the target anymore.