• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks to the NPD Group for the breakdown-

Here are the numbers for May 2018:
  • Total: $685 million (up 13% from $607 million in May 2017)
  • Hardware: $186 million (up 26% from $147 million)
  • PC and console software: $274 million (down 4% from $285 million)
  • Accessories: $225 million (up 30% from $174 million)
May 2018 spending across video game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards grew 13 percent when compared to a year ago, to $685 million. Growth in Hardware and Accessories & Game Cards offset a slight decline in Software.

Year-to-date spending across video game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards is up 15 percent when compared to the same period a year ago, to $4.9 billion. Growth has occurred across all categories of spending.

SOFTWARE

Best Sellers drive growth: Year to date, software spending is up 7 percent versus year ago, to $2.2 billion. Far Cry 5, God of War, and Monster Hunter: World are the year's best-selling titles.

State of Decay 2 tops the chart: State of Decay 2 was May's best-selling game, as launch month sales nearly doubled that of the previous entry in the franchise, State of Decay.

God of War holds strong: God of War was May's second best-selling title, and now ranks in the same position in year to date sales, trailing only Ubisoft's Far Cry 5.

Detroit opens higher than Heavy Rain: Detroit: Become Human was the third best-selling game of the month. Launch month sales of Detroit: Become Human represent a record high for developer Quantic Dream, with sales growth of over 20 percent when compared to its previous launch month best-seller, Heavy Rain.

Switch Software sees strong growth: Nintendo Switch software sales in May generated growth of 90 percent when compared to a year ago, delivering the highest software revenues for any Nintendo platform in May since the Nintendo Wii in May 2011. Please note that The NPD Group does not currently track digital sales on Nintendo platforms.

Sony was the months top publisher: Sony was May's top-selling software publisher, driven by God of War and Detroit: Become Human. Ubisoft remains the top revenue generating publisher year to date, while Activision Blizzard holds the lead revenue position over the 12 month period ending May.

HARDWARE & ACCESSORIES

Hardware spending up for the year: For the 2018 year-to-date period, hardware spending has increased 15 percent to $1.3 billion. Spending gains for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Plug N Play devices such as the SNES Classic have driven growth.

Best May since 2011: Hardware unit sales in May 2018 reached the highest total for a May since May 2011, while May 2018 dollar sales reached the highest May total since May 2014.

Big 3 break records: Sony's PlayStation 4, Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo Switch all achieved all-time unit sales highs for a May month. Previous highs were May 2016 for PlayStation 4, May 2015 for Xbox One, and May 2017 for Switch.

PS4 is the months best seller: Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console hardware platform in May, and remains the best-selling console hardware platform year to date.

Switch has a top selling SKU: The Nintendo Switch 32GB w/Neon Red/Blue JoyCon was the month's best-selling hardware SKU in both unit and dollar sales.

Accessories Roundup: Sales of Headsets/Headphones more than doubled in May 2018 when compared to a year ago. Year to date, Headsets/Headphones spending has increased 83 percent. The Xbox One Ear Force Recon 50x Gaming Headset from Turtle Beach was the best-selling Headset/Headphone in May, while the company's Xbox One Ear Force Stealth 600 Wireless Headset is the best-selling Headset/Headphone for 2018 year to date.

Gamepad spending grew 16 percent in May versus a year ago, with year to date spending growth of 22 percent. The PS4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Black is the best-selling Gamepad in both May and 2018 year to date.

RANKINGS
Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel, ranked on dollar sales
  1. State of Decay 2
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Detroit: Become Human
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze*
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Ed*
  8. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. NBA 2K18
  11. MLB 18: The Show
  12. Call of Duty: WWII
  13. Super Mario Odyssey*
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  15. FIFA 18^
  16. Overwatch^
  17. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  18. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  19. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  20. Monster Hunter: World
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

Xbox One
  1. State of Decay 2
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  6. Call of Duty: WWII
  7. Overwatch
  8. Sea Of Thieves
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. FIFA 18

PS4
  1. God of War 2018
  2. Detroit: Become Human
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. MLB 18: The Show
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. FIFA 18
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  9. Call of Duty: WWII
  10. Overwatch

Switch
  1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  2. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Ed
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  6. Splatoon 2
  7. Kirby Star Allies
  8. Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Year to Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. MLB 18: The Show
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest I did not see SoD2 doing that well.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
PS4 and Xbox One are doing so well, I personally don't need new consoles for a while and this helps show that there's still a huge market that hasn't been tapped yet

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Wow , gamepass is helping sales
Edit. Referring to Phil Spencer's comments abuout gamepass users buying behaviour and influence

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems like another great month all round. Lots of good growth on all 3 platforms.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
State Of Decay 2 killing it, good job, especially considering it's a medium budget, medium-sized studio, budget-priced game. It's easily one of the best years already, though. And these are the sales despite the fact the game can be played cheaper on Game Pass. Very nice.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The fuck?! Thats crazy! Didnt care for it myself but If it means they can carry on and step up their game, good on them.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Detroit opens higher than Heavy Rain: Detroit: Become Human was the third best-selling game of the month. Launch month sales of Detroit: Become Human represent a record high for developer Quantic Dream, with sales growth of over 20 percent when compared to its previous launch month best-seller, Heavy Rain.

This was expected based on what QD said about WW sales but nice to see it confirmed for US too. Really deserved, Detroit is incredible.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SoD 2 #1? Wow I did not see that coming.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
State of Decay 2 is the worst game I had tons of fun with, congrats.

Oh, Zombie games are dead!???? Bodes well for Days Gone and Dying Light 2.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
SOD2 number one? I guess Gamepass does help sales rather than hurt them, damn. Also isn't SOD2 $30 and it's a revenue chart, I know they still had a $50 ultimate edition but that is really impressive. I see why MS bought them, that AAA SOD3 going to do well lol.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I'm impressed with switch having the best may since 2011 with such minimal releases last month.

Overall it seems like an extremely positive situation that all three are in, so I couldn't really be happier. Switch somehow remained up this year and PS4 continues to dominate.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing sales for SoD2. It's wild that XGP is helping sales. Good to see the consoles breaking May records from years ago this late in the gen. All three are killing it!

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's doing great.
And surprised to see the legs on Monhun World considering it already disappeared from the chart in Japan.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Umm, holy shit at SOD2. Guess those anecdotes about XGP leading to increased sales were legit. Very impressive.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Switch Software sees strong growth: Nintendo Switch software sales in May generated growth of 90 percent when compared to a year ago, delivering the highest software revenues for any Nintendo platform in May since the Nintendo Wii in May 2011. Please note that The NPD Group does not currently track digital sales on Nintendo platforms."

This is crazy.

Well done to the developers of State of Decay 2!

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three Nintendo games in the top 10

Talent Won

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That's incredible. I did not see State of Decay 2 charting on #1, and considering it doubled the sales of the first game, it must have sold incredibly well. So happy for Undead Labs.

Hope that means more content and more patchs for it.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
These are listed by revenue right? That means the budget priced SOD2 did even better in units.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Holy shit State of Decay 2

And this doesn't even count Game Pass. I cant believe how successful Game Pass is with word of mouth and getting people to buy games.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't expect SoD2 to be top. Will be giving it a try myself when I get gamepass for Horizon 4.

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't enjoy it as much but congrats to sod 2. That zombie fatigue should hit any day now lol.
Also good to see Detroit do well

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Sony will continue its partnership with Quantic Dream :) Yay for more David Cage games.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Good all around month....

Everyone's doing just fine.

Sony would be wise to hit a $199 PS4 default price with pack in games. No way of knowing if PS5 will be this successfu.