• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I suppose the first question that comes to mind is did Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition outsell either the Wii U or 3DS launch months? I'm gonna guess it was in the middle.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Wow great month for everyone. Gamepass putting in some goddamn work with those Xbox software sales, God of War and Detroit beasting for Sony, and Switch almost doubling from last year. Best May ever for hardware for all three too.

PRs should just be a round of beers for everyone.

Also it's amusing to me to see an ArcSys game at #5 best-selling game of the year.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Congrats to undead labs!! Nobody expected SoD to be on top, they shattered expectations :D

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Three Nintendo games in the top 10

Talent Won

tenor.gif
ezgif-3-67cd8a332d.gif

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone continues to do great....what a time to be alive.

Switch software sales being on Wii level without digital is quite impressive as well. Not bad.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So Switch had the highest selling SKU in both numbers and dollars, and switc costs less.

Then PS4 and PS4 Pro must both be doing good sales to be on top.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft did a good investment acquiring Undead Labs. The games might not receive critical acclaimed but they are generally beloved within the Xbox community. Happy to hear the game is selling well and I'm greatly enjoying what I have played so far. Nice to see Detroit doing well too as I think Quantic Dream brings something unique in gaming to the table. Haven't had the time to get to it myself though. Seems all three consoles are doing fine which is great for gaming.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Awesome to see SoD2 doing well. Hopefully this means Microsoft sees the promise in investing in them and State of Decay 3 or whatever they make next doesn't have the technical issues their previous releases have. Also great to see Tropical Freeze doing well too, it didn't deserve to die on the WiiU.

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats to SoD2 putting in the work, it sounds like an incredibly fun game by all accounts.

I'm amazed that PS4 is still breaking records this late in its cycle, especially considering how well it has sold previously! It's a high bar they've set and yet they're somehow still outdoing themselves, the numbers come September and Spider-Man will be interesting to see.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you impressed by Detroit performance? Did you expect more? Less?

I'd say it's right where I'd thought, although I saw the same statements that everyone else did around launch. It's fine. Dunno how the legs will be though.

Did State of Decay 2's numbers surprise you like everyone else or was that expected? I didn't expect it to bomb, for sure, but to chart in number 1 and double's the first one sales, that's quite a shock.

So, I thought Game Pass would give full game sales a boost, as with Sea of Thieves. But I would not be honest if I said I thought it would be #1. Yep, a bit surprised.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow , gamepass is helping sales

Phil Spencer said as much. They have internal data that shows Game Pass somehow helps sales overall. Can't remember exactly what he stated, but it was something along those lines. Of course plenty of arm chair analysts think they no more than him and their business model, but here we are.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Undead Labs!

Btw, am I reading this right or is GoW the second best selling game of 2018 so far?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
On his recent giant bomb interview Phil Spencer said their internal data suggested games on gamepass were actually selling more than they might have done not on gamepass.

Gamepass was actually selling copies as well as getting subscription revenue.

Getting to the point where I expect MS are courting 3rd party for gamepass, given their data points to increased sales and increased engagement.

Also clear that resetera isn't on the ball with what the gaming market enjoys in general....

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see SoD2 doing well. Hopefully this means Microsoft sees the promise in investing in them and State of Decay 3 or whatever they make next doesn't have the technical issues their previous releases have. Also great to see Tropical Freeze doing well too, it didn't deserve to die on the WiiU.

They bought them. So they see the promise. LOL

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Rain had debut of 220K so 20% more means about 264K for Detroit.

Edit. Forgot somehow that this is revenue based nowadays. So my math doesn't work.

Last edited:

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm around for questions too... I dunno, let's get weird.

Important question:

How will people be spinning this: "Big 3 break records: Sony's PlayStation 4, Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo Switch all achieved all-time unit sales highs for a May month. Previous highs were May 2016 for PlayStation 4, May 2015 for Xbox One, and May 2017 for Switch."

in console war material. Because 10 pages from now things wont be as peaceful, it never is. Lol

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
With Dying Light having over 13 million players and SoD2 topping the charts i would say zombie games are actually just fine. So perhaps Days Gone could also sell well.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Hurdle warriors did like 7 places better than I was expecting. Where did the original place?

Most switch software seems to be doing great. Kirby and Labo legs seem kinda short though we know the former has already done fantastically. I'm nervously anticipating some Labo discussion in this thread...

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the people defending it but hate when incomplete buggy games (State of Decay) manage to sell well, love when that kind of games flopped because freaking hate greedy people sell to us incomplete shit. Sorry had to say it i know a few people are with me.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phil Spencer said as much. They have internal data that shows Game Pass somehow helps sales overall. Can't remember exactly what he stated, but it was something along those lines. Of course plenty of arm chair analysts think they no more than him and their business model, but here we are.
But how? I mean, really. How? I just don't get it. I would expect gamepass to make people just use gamepass and not buy the game, instead it's helping sales?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God of Legs has US legs too

Detroit best QD opening yessss

State of Decay 2 first? I am legit surprised :0

PS4 still 1st hardware, freaking crazy. Not even with a Xbox exclusive topping the charts the PS4 can be dethroned