• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Do they really? State of Decay 2 is not exactly what I would call a higher quality title, no disrespect, merely referencing reviews from respected outlets.

But if such a game can even outsell the critically vastly superior God of War, then why develop highly rated games at all?
I hope this doesn't signal Sony to deliver lesser quality games in their output, as such games are much cheaper to produce and thus cost Sony less

This is God of War's second month. It has sold a great deal more than State of Decay 2.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Try as I might, I don't think there's an invisible /s in this post. State of Decay 2 is not even close to outselling God of War. This is GoW's second NPD period.

Did we have unit numbers for these titles for this month? This is SoD2 first month sales vs GoWs second (?) month. Wouldn't it be more realistic to compare first month numbers for both titles as most games are front loaded?

I forgot GOW came out last month... still, SoD2 has really impressive sale numbers, hats off to them.

I was just wondering, is it normal for a 5 year old console to be on its way to outsell an extremely successful console in its second year??

PS4 selling more YTD than switch in 2018 is mindblowing.

It is, and yet it isn't; different demographies for one. The other one is game library, while Nintendo is excellent, there are some people who want AC, God of War, or a realistic racer. That is not to say Nintendo does not offer good games, on the contrary, it's just that there are people who prefer other consoles over Nintendo.
And the casual crowd maybe also loves to spend free time on social media instead of (semi-)portable consoles.
I believe the Nintendo demographic overall is much more smaller; if you compare the last 25-30 years of Nintendo consoles; SNES; N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, then ONLY Wii sold more than 50 million consoles in it's lifetime.
Though Nintendo DS users transitioning to Switch could add to it's success.

There are stil many more months for Switch to return to it's PS2/Wii level of sale speed, so let's hope they will get there again :-)

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Quoting Mat's posts a few spaces above yours, as you might have missed it while replying.

Frankly absurd.

The idea that companies would continue with a lower margin, higher risk business model simply to satisfy consumer choice is, frankly, absurd.

See how easy being dismissive with a vague but authoritative statement is?

I don't agree with Mat's assessment. He wouldn't agree with mine.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
With SOD2 and SOT both being polarizing games(some like them a lot, some hate them) and both doing poorly critically but still selling well and they both seam to help get gamepass great exposure. I can't wait for great games to come to the subscription to see how they sell and what they do for gamepass. Starts with Forza.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do they really? State of Decay 2 is not exactly what I would call a higher quality title, no disrespect, merely referencing reviews from respected outlets.

But if such a game can even outsell the critically vastly superior God of War, then why develop highly rated games at all?
I hope this doesn't signal Sony to deliver lesser quality games in their output, as such games are much cheaper to produce and thus cost Sony less
Just so you can see how SoD 2 did.

Year to Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. MLB 18: The Show
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The idea that companies would continue with a lower margin, higher risk business model simply to satisfy consumer choice is, frankly, absurd.
It really, really isn't. It's complete nonsense to believe that Microsoft would gut their revenue streams when all available data indicates a correlative rise in software sales. People still buy games, and they're buying them in a higher volume than ever before. No reasonable assessment should arrive at the conclusion that Microsoft will cease to sell games to consumers.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I was just wondering, is it normal for a 5 year old console to be on its way to outsell an extremely successful console in its second year??

I think that one needs to take into account these are not the typical 5 years into a console's life - the PS4 Pro, which is not your typical midlife revision but a PS4.5 has been released, and as more and more new games come out that perform so so on PS4 but much better on PS4 Pro, the pressure mounts on PS4 owners to move on (and many do).

In a way this is similar to the Kinect which gave the 360 a new life when "normally" the 360 should have been on a downwards path.

So, though there are some other factors as well, it has less to do with the Switch, and more to do with the PS4 Pro, imo.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
It really, really isn't. It's complete nonsense to believe that Microsoft would gut their revenue streams when all available data indicates a correlative rise in software sales. People still buy games, and they're buying them in a higher volume than ever before. No reasonable assessment should arrive at the conclusion that Microsoft will cease to sell games to consumers.

Did you miss the part where I said long term? I'm talking about the next 5-15 years and I've provided two examples of how the rental model has developed in mature manufacturing and entertainment content industries.

If you can tell me why game development will be different from them or indeed different from the Enterprise software market where SaaS-only products are becoming commonplace (i.e. you can't buy the software or continue to use it after you finish paying your service fee) please go ahead.

Also - correlation doesn't imply causation.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
With Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 both doing very well, I wonder how much of an explosion Forza Horizon 4 will cause. Should be absolutely huge, because in addition to Game Pass, this game will (probably) hit with a high Metacritic.

Obviously can't be #1 because of RDR2, but still the numbers will be interesting.

Oct 25, 2017

It's the second month for God of War and the first for SoD2...

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Im mean, Switch early year been nothing to write home about while PS4 released it magnum opus opus so far, Nintendo saved all his eggs for the holiday so far (MP, Smash, Not Pokemon GO (its yellow :p)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally I rather wonder why no one question the future of Microsoft as they seem to be always in the last place, Gen after Gen after Gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Im mean, Switch early year been nothing to write home about while PS4 released it magnum opus opus so far, Nintendo saved all his eggs for the holiday so far (MP, Smash, Not Pokemon GO (its yellow :p)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally I rather wonder why no one question the future of Microsoft as they seem to be always in the last place, Gen after Gen after Gen.
Being last isn't inherently bad though. At the moment, MS seems to be doing fine (at least in the US).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Arguably they were in 2nd place last gen, outselling PS3.

I say arguably because some people feel otherwise, but there's no hard evidence (people point a lot to an unsourced IHS report but ignore other things like actual PR). Maybe it was essentially a tie.

They are also in 2nd this gen and despite popular opinion Switch overtaking them is not automatic, or at least will take 2+ more years, and also you could say something snarky about Nintendo needing to release 2 generations (Wii U failed, then Switch) to do it. I guess then you could bring up the X, but that's kind of as different matter and more comparable to Ps4 Pro.

Nov 14, 2017
Being last isn't inherently bad though. At the moment, MS seems to be doing fine (at least in the US).

Microsoft probably cares more about revenue coming in than selling consoles. They are looking at what generates cash for them and you see from their quarterly earnings the Xbox gaming business is still a billion-dollar business. People often get fooled by console sales as if it a sign Microsoft is doing badly. Sure they want to sell consoles to have more gamers playing their games and using live, but they are equally as happy when gamers are buying their games on PC and are buying a gamepass subscription, its money coming in. Just my opinion on this.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Your example of the music industry has s a good case in point:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

Streaming accounts for 2/3 of revenue in the music industry now (and is still growing) and if you read further into the market you'll see an example of an equivalent of pay-to-view in the paragraph about single device licensing.

This isn't an agenda or narrative, it's an observation based on how other industries evole their sales models away from ownership and into rental.

To compare what's going on in the music industry to what's currently going on in the video gaming industry in this fashion totally disregards the difference in file sizes. Pretty much anyone can greatly benefit from digital music services regardless of the quality of their internet connection. The same isn't true for a service that pushes digital gaming.

You're comparison and fear mongering is ridiculous. Game Pass is simply an option for people that want it.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft probably cares more about revenue coming in than selling consoles. They are looking at what generates cash for them and you see from their quarterly earnings the Xbox gaming business is still a billion-dollar business. People often get fooled by console sales as if it a sign Microsoft is doing badly. Sure they want to sell consoles to have more gamers playing their games and using live, but they are equally as happy when gamers are buying their games on PC and are buying a gamepass subscription, its money coming in. Just my opinion on this.
Mhm, I agree. With stuff like GamePass doing well, MS knows where to look for the money.

Oct 27, 2017
With Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 both doing very well, I wonder how much of an explosion Forza Horizon 4 will cause. Should be absolutely huge, because in addition to Game Pass, this game will (probably) hit with a high Metacritic.

Obviously can't be #1 because of RDR2, but still the numbers will be interesting.
I see it easily having 5 mill players on thatbfirst month

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot GOW came out last month... still, SoD2 has really impressive sale numbers, hats off to them.

It is, and yet it isn't; different demographies for one. The other one is game library, while Nintendo is excellent, there are some people who want AC, God of War, or a realistic racer. That is not to say Nintendo does not offer good games, on the contrary, it's just that there are people who prefer other consoles over Nintendo.
And the casual crowd maybe also loves to spend free time on social media instead of (semi-)portable consoles.
I believe the Nintendo demographic overall is much more smaller; if you compare the last 25-30 years of Nintendo consoles; SNES; N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, then ONLY Wii sold more than 50 million consoles in it's lifetime.
Though Nintendo DS users transitioning to Switch could add to it's success.

There are stil many more months for Switch to return to it's PS2/Wii level of sale speed, so let's hope they will get there again :-)

anyone know what is the 3DS + wii u total sales?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Wait a second, Gamecube and Wii U never existed?

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
To compare what's going on in the music industry to what's currently going on in the video gaming industry in this fashion totally disregards the difference in file sizes. Pretty much anyone can greatly benefit from digital music services regardless of the quality of their internet connection. The same isn't true for a service that pushes digital gaming.

You're comparison and fear mongering is ridiculous. Game Pass is simply an option for people that want it.
true. games also have far higher budgets than music. i cannot see a diverse and healthy industrie living on flatrates alone. might be nice for those who own the channels, but not for content creators.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Even if SoD2 did sell as well as GoW (it didnt) why would this disincentivize developing games that would be well received critically? Doing so would only boost sales further and encourage people to invest in the ecosystem who haven't already.

See how easy being dismissive with a vague but authoritative statement is?

I don't agree with Mat's assessment. He wouldn't agree with mine.

Continuing to Offer both subscription services AND the option to buy is the lower risk, higher margin option.

Expecting companies to completely eliminate the direct sale model that, thanks to digital distribution, is pushing margins through the roof, is frankly absurd.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arguably they were in 2nd place last gen, outselling PS3.

I say arguably because some people feel otherwise, but there's no hard evidence (people point a lot to an unsourced IHS report but ignore other things like actual PR). Maybe it was essentially a tie.
They were third, while launching a year later. Even according to EEDAR (an NPD Group Company) the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 worldwide.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game on the windows store by the way. Same with Forza Horizon 3. Rather would have had them on steam though.