• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you can see how SoD 2 did.

Year to Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. MLB 18: The Show
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^

Keep on mind that's revenue while SoD2 is a game that launched at $30. Every game in the Top 10 is a $60+ game besides PUBG.

That doesn't mean SoD2 would still be in the top 10 after its first month but its sales are extremely strong. Anyone trying to downplay them is being weird

Last edited:

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Keep on mind that's revenue while SoD2 is a game that launched at $30. Every game in the Top 10 is a $60+ game besides PUBG.

That doesn't mean SoD2 would still be in the top 10 after its first month but its sales are extremely strong. Anyone trying to downplay them is weird

SoD2 being #1 in the month is really a positive surprise, unit sales should be quite high. I thought that Detroit would take the top spot due to its higher price. Underestimated both SoD2 and GoW.

Do you have any info on the split between the $30 and the $50 SKU for SoD2?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That doesn't mean SoD2 would still be in the top 10 after its first month but its sales are extremely strong. Anyone trying to downplay them is being weird
And I didn't say it didn't do good for launch month, just showing the massive difference between it and GoW in terms of overall performance.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Performance by both SoD2 and GoW was very good, but overall software was down YoY because Injustice 2 launched a year ago to big numbers.

The most impactful game of May was probably Fortnite, and that itself has far bigger and more reaching long term potential impact on the industry than either GoW or SoD2 but we don't talk about it because it's f2p and therefore not on the chart.

Yes, more f2p is coming, and more streaming and subscription options. Consumers will ultimately determine which way everything goes, as they always do.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Performance by both SoD2 and GoW was very good, but overall software was down YoY because Injustice 2 launched a year ago to big numbers.

The most impactful game of May was probably Fortnite, and that itself has far bigger and more reaching long term potential impact on the industry than either GoW or SoD2 but we don't talk about it because it's f2p and therefore not on the chart.

Yes, more f2p is coming, and more streaming and subscription options. Consumers will ultimately determine which way everything goes, as they always do.
What do you think of the PS4 Fortnite bundle if it comes to the US?

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Just so you can see how SoD 2 did.

Year to Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. MLB 18: The Show
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^
Is it normal for games to chart on the YTD list the very first month they release? Especially for a game that's considered a budget title?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
And I didn't say it didn't do good for launch month, just showing the massive difference between it and GoW in terms of overall performance.

It's a wildly misleading comparison. Obviously GoW is the bigger game but you're taking 2 months of $60 revenue vs 1 month of $30 revenue. The result to that is going to be super obvious.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. That doesn't answer my question though.

Well I don't get the question then. The top 10 YTD is by its nature an exclusive list. Add to that a game would have to do exceptionally well to crack that list in one month when others have multiple. Was your question rhetorical or were you asking it for demonstrative purposes?

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
MatPiscatella, do you see GoW beating Far Cry 5 now in June on the YTD or it's not going to happen? GoW still having good legs?

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SD2 has 0 chance of making the YTD chart

This still just feels like a really random and strange spin off convo. I dont think anyone including MS ever thought the game would

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
MatPiscatella do games bundled with hardware affect game sales a lot in general? Like for example would PUBG have charted in the YTD if bundles weren't included? Or are bundle sales not included in the software chart? And what about God of War?

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MatPiscatella, do you see GoW beating Far Cry 5 now in July on the YTD or it's not going to happen?

Don't see it happening this year, but would be happy to be wrong. FC5 is open world, multiplatform, has more content drops coming and Ubisoft are masters of timing promotional pricing. I still see GoW making the annual top 10. Guess we shall see.

MatPiscatella do games bundled with hardware affect game sales a lot in general? Like for example would PUBG have charted in the YTD if bundles weren't included? Or are bundle sales not included in the software chart?

Bundle sales are excluded from the SW charts. People buy bundles for the hardware, not the game. The game in a bundle is more a GWP.

Oct 31, 2017
God of War holding at number freaking 2 blows my mind. Exclusives really dominated the top 3, even if SoD2 is aided by PC (but whatever there).

What legs. Uncharted, Horizon, they didn't hold like this.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017

If that ps4 bundle comes to the US, it might dethrone the red+blue switch as highest hardware sku. I think it'll be interesting to watch the performance of a f2p game bundle (with some not-free items) of a game as big as fortnite. I wonder if sony can make enough of those to satisfy demand at the end of the day.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If that ps4 bundle comes to the US, it might dethrone the red+blue switch as highest hardware sku. I think it'll be interesting to watch the performance of a f2p game bundle (with some not-free items) of a game as big as fortnite. I wonder if sony can make enough of those to satisfy demand at the end of the day.
Yeah I think that Fortnite bundle is an answer to Fortnite coming to Switch.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't see it happening this year, but would be happy to be wrong. FC5 is open world, multiplatform, has more content drops coming and Ubisoft are masters of timing promotional pricing. I still see GoW making the annual top 10. Guess we shall see.

Just for fun: which big PS4 exclusive game do you predict will chart higher YTD at year's end - God of War or Spider-Man?

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly NPD topic, but MatPiscatella, one of your prediction for 2018 was EA access coming to PS4 (More like Sony allowing it to come to PS4). Do you still think there's a chance for that to happen this year (or ever :p)? Especially that we've heard nothing about it in E3.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought EA Access would come to PS4 at E3. Oops. Maybe next year, or maybe they just go Apple with it and try to lock everyone in forever. Who knows.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just for fun? Itsatrap.jpg

Haha not sure what you mean? Was really just curious what you think, as you do seem to make predictions from time time. And I enjoy reading your take on things.

I'll say this. Spidey has a better shot of topping GoW than I thought a month or so ago.

Still not sure if it does it or not though

Interesting. Thanks for your perspective. I agree and still predict that God of War will come out on top, but Spidey does seem to be building some pretty huge momentum and hype. It could be quite close, which is super awesome considering how well God of War has sold.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
I guess people have had enough Dark Souls.

Possibly, but I think this particular remaster has a lot of issues. It was not advertised heavily, impressions were also mixed and PC players saw little reason to pay for a version that offered little over the community mod based patched original version.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love me some healthy industry. :)

Also glad to see more people gave DK Tropical Freeze the chance it deserved.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Could also be that Dark Souls players are waiting for Code Vein to get their Souls fix this year. I am also not sure how remasters typically do in sales either. Afterall, it's an 8 year old game with minimal changes. If I had all the DLC from the PS3 version, I would have probably passed as well. At least now I can play 4 Souls games on 1 console.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising but good to hear.

Main thing is God of War is one of the highest reviewed games of the generation and got an enormous last minute surge. It always tracked well but reviews sent it to a different level.

But....yeah I mean Spidey is tracking favorably against GoW in the same time frame from launch

If I had to bet on it though I still see GoW ahead in the end. Probably not by a small margin either.