• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I thought EA Access would come to PS4 at E3. Oops. Maybe next year, or maybe they just go Apple with it and try to lock everyone in forever. Who knows.

I got an interesting survey from EA. Asking me what I thought of EA Access, Gamepass and some other subscription services.

I assume they must be thinking about further changes to the program of some kind.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Main thing is God of War is one of the highest reviewed games of the generation and got an enormous last minute surge. It always tracked well but reviews sent it to a different level.

But....yeah I mean Spidey is tracking favorably against GoW in the same time frame from launch

If I had to bet on it though I still see GoW ahead in the end. Probably not by a small margin either.
If Spider-Man reviews 92 or north I expect it to be bigger or at the very least move more consoles among those who never considered a PlayStation before. It will be advertised by Marvel as well as Sony.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep it benefits all parties greatly.
I'm also curious to see if Sony will capitalize on the launch of Spider-Verse in December for a 2nd round of marketing for the game.
Still got a while to go.

As for launch month, I think people have underestimated Spidey (and Insomniac) since day one.
The game is going to sell gangbuster imo, doing as good if not better than GoW.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Spider-Man reviews 92 or north I expect it to be bigger or at the very least move more consoles among those who never considered a PlayStation before. It will be advertised by Marvel as well as Sony.

It would need enormously positive reviews to have a shot, yeah. I was always adamant it wouldn't pass GoW, and I still dont think it will. But recent things have made me slightly less on my stance on it

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would need enormously positive reviews to have a shot, yeah. I was always adamant it wouldn't pass GoW, and I still dont think it will. But recent things have made me slightly less on my stance on it
Do you think that Sony strategy about one week GOW realese made a good role in sales?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that Sony strategy about one week GOW realese made a good role in sales?

Releasing reviews early you mean?

If so yes 100%. Review scores, and them hitting early had a very large impact. Buzz went from high for it pre launch, to through the stratosphere

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Releasing reviews early you mean?

If so yes 100%. Review scores, and them hitting early had a very large impact. Buzz went from high for it pre launch, to through the stratosphere
Thx for the answer. Spider-man indeed have a great chance after those previews, but I not seeing so much PR in the same way GoW have, but still Spider-Man its god gamn popular. September It's going to be a hard month for scale all those sales.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this. Spidey has a better shot of topping GoW than I thought a month or so ago.

Still not sure if it does it or not though

Pre-order / reserve data.

But I agree that it probably wont. It's still more likely than it was a month ago, because yeah....its tracking real good

Main thing is God of War is one of the highest reviewed games of the generation and got an enormous last minute surge. It always tracked well but reviews sent it to a different level.

But....yeah I mean Spidey is tracking favorably against GoW in the same time frame from launch

If I had to bet on it though I still see GoW ahead in the end. Probably not by a small margin either.

opQ0hGE.jpg

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Spider-Man scores 50 Meta, it's over. Sony Marvel and Inaomniac will split ways. If Spider-Man scores 90+ I expect huge sales, sequels, and continued partnership.

If Spider-Man scores 50 Meta, it's over. Sony Marvel and Inaomniac will split ways. If Spider-Man scores 90+ I expect huge sales, sequels, and continued partnership.

Possibly. If it has a low meta score but sells a ton, then perhaps not. State of Decay 2 wasn't as high on the meta scale as many would have liked, but the sales were amazing and you can guarantee a 3rd game is coming.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Uh, congrats to SoD2, I guess. I wonder how much heavy lifting that $30 price tag did.

Also: If SoD2 really managed to hit number 1, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Days Gone is gonna have no issue.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
This just goes to show what a spread out release can do for you. WTF! EA releasing Titanfall 2 at the same time as CoD and BF. It deserved better.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I was coming in this thread to ask Mat why no Pokémon. Forgot it was 2 SKUs. Yeah, that'll probably hold it back.

Late, sales split between two games, not the full featured RPG, no digital sales included.

They're technically two different games, yeah.
oh wow, I'm surprised you think this'll hold it back. Don't see the Pokémon Go tie in/increased accessibility doing much?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, I'm surprised you think this'll hold it back. Don't see the Pokémon Go tie in/increased accessibility doing much?

I think this version will work at what it's supposed to do in growing the installed base with kids/family. But right now, Switch owners lean older and more core. I think both do very well, but making the top 10 in 2018 isn't like a normal year.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think this version will work at what it's supposed to do in growing the installed base with kids/family. But right now, Switch owners lean older and more core. I think both do very well, but making the top 10 in 2018 isn't like a normal year.

Will the 100$ bundles (game + accessory) be counted in the overall revenue figure ?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that makes sense. I'm definitely curious to see how the whole situation with Let's Go plays out.

And Smash is after Black Friday and too late I'm guessing?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Meh, I left BLO PS4 PC Digital in there when I shouldn't have. Updated:

Don't you think Smash Ultimate will make into TOP 10? I know it's december only and digital revenue won't count, but the game is still gonna be insane in term of sales, and both Brawl and Smash 4 charted really high in 2008 and 2014.

Dec 7th is real late in the year to make it onto an annual top 10. Who knows. Maybe it gets there, but in 2018 it'd take something miraculous imo.

Nah man, a "miracle" seem something almost impossible, i can assure you that Smash has a good chance. Smash in USA is the Nintendo IP with the biggest launch, Nintendo marketing for the game is already big and this fall will be crazy, and a lot of series had a record launch on Switch. It will be an insane launch month, one of the best in general and probabily the best for an exclusive in term of units sales, and revenue.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
For something like the Switch, once Smash and Pokemon are out, that top 10 ain't budging much for a year lol.

Mat,
curious what are the chances if any, that we get top 20s for the individual Consoles as well?
I think it'd be pretty interesting.

10-20 would be more interesting for that system in particular.
only notable thing is Skyrim being #10 ahead of Pokken and Arms still.

Last edited:

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Yet another example that Game Pass as a model seems to work. Even better than expected, maybe. I hope this will make other publishers to follow suit and publish their new games on Game Pass. It's a wonderful service.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
If a 3D Mario game on a smaller install base can do the insane numbers it did in such a short time, Smash definitely has a shot, even with the later launch.
This year there is more competition too. Gow and Spidey will sell more than Horizon for example ( i think ). BF V , Cod , RDR , Fallout 76 ... Lot of big titles in 2018. Anyway Smash will be huge.