• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks to the NPD Group and Mat Piscatella for the breakdown. Note. This NPD report only covers the U.S. Video Games Market.

Here is the breakdown for May 2019:
  • Total: $641 million (Down 11% from $717 million in May 2018)
  • Hardware: $149 million (Down 20% from $186 million)
  • PC and console software: $262 million (Down 13% from $302 million)
  • Accessories: $230 million (Up 0% from $229 million)
May 2019 tracked spending across video game hardware, software, accessories and game cards totaled $641 million, 11 percent lower than a year ago. Declines in both software and hardware spending drove overall performance.

Year-to-date spending across tracked video game hardware, software, accessories and game cards is down 3 percent when compared to 2018, to $4.7 billion. Declines in hardware spending have offset growth in sales of accessories and game cards.

Software (All notes refer to dollar sales)

Dollar sales of tracked console, portable and PC video game software reached $262 million in May 2019, falling 13 percent when compared to a year ago. May 2019 experienced the lowest software sales for a May month since 2013 ($222 million). Total dollar sales of new releases in May 2019 are the lowest for new releases in a May month since May 1998.

Mortal Kombat 11 repeated as the best-selling game of the month and is now the best-selling game of 2019 year to date. Month 2 sales of Mortal Kombat 11 nearly doubled the comparable sales of any other Mortal Kombat game in the history of the franchise. Mortal Kombat 11 was the best-selling game of May on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Days Gone was the second best-selling game of May, repeating its April performance, and is now the eighth best-selling game of 2019 (year to date).

Minecraft returns to the monthly top 10 best-sellers list, ranking as the ninth best-selling game of May. It also ranked as the seventh best-selling game of the month on Xbox One.

Hardware & Accessories

Hardware spending in May 2019 fell 20 percent when compared to a year ago, to $149 million. Nintendo Switch sales growth was offset by declines across all other hardware platforms.

Year-to-date hardware spending has declined 17 percent versus a year ago, to $1.1 billion. As with the month of May, Nintendo Switch sales growth was offset by declines across all other hardware platforms.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of both May as well as year-to-date across both unit and dollar sales.

Total May 2019 spending on accessories and game cards was flat when compared to a year ago, at $230 million. Year-to-date sales of accessories and game cards have increased 3 percent to $1.4 billion when compared to a year ago.

The PS4 DualShock 4 Black Wireless Controller was the best-selling accessory of May 2019, and remains the best-selling accessory year to date.

Software Rankings

Top 20 best selling titles (May 2019) - Includes Physical and Digital sales

1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. Total War: Three Kingdoms
  4. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. MLB 19: The Show
  9. Minecraft#
  10. NBA 2K19
  11. Mario Kart 8*
  12. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  14. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  15. Marvel's Spider-Man
  16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  17. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  18. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  19. Team Sonic Racing
  20. Yoshi's Crafted World*
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included
# Minecraft digital sales on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One included

Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  4. Anthem^
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  8. Days Gone
  9. MLB 19: The Show
  10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Top 10 PS4 titles (May 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. MLB 19: The Show
  4. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
Top 10 Xbox One titles (May 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Rage 2*
  3. Red Dead Redemption II
  4. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Minecraft
  8. Forza Horizon 4
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
Top 10 Switch titles (April 2019)
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  2. Mario Kart 8*
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  5. Mortal Kombat 11
  6. Yoshi's Crafted World*
  7. Super Mario Party*
  8. Super Mario Odyssey*
  9. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu*
  10. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee*

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
And there were people convinced Days Gone wouldn't sell because of zombie fatigue or something

Also ouch at Sonic Racing

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Interesting that the switch games reached numbers that high without digital sales.... smash must be printing money

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
A PC exclusive game (albeit a large one) outselling a multiplatform game like RAGE 2

Damn

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat 11 repeated as the best-selling game of the month and is now the best-selling game of 2019 year to date. Month 2 sales of Mortal Kombat 11 nearly doubled the comparable sales of any other Mortal Kombat game in the history of the franchise.

MK ain't playing around.

Days Gone held quite well too.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DAYUM SWITCH! Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 still charting since 2017.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat to the month of May

giphy.gif

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That explains why it's so hard to find full online matches for TSR.

RIP. Still pretty amazed that they managed to fuck up the sequel to Transformed.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
With Nintendo having a bigger share as the generation continues.... not having access to those digital numbers is disappointing. Will be even worse the second half of this year.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow Sonic not even top 10 on Nintendo Switch? That's the biggest surprise here for me. it's already one of my favorite Kart games, so it's sad to see it perform so poorly.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Pretty cool to see something like TW:3K towards the top of an NPD chart. Like I know the game did super well but I was pretty curious how much of that was from the US.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Really impressive performance for Days Gone. As an early nay sayer, I'm very impressed by how the game turned out, and couldn't be more glad it's paying off for the team.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Such a weird release. Like, right now, Amazon.com says Team Sonic Racing comes out on June 5, 2020.

Like, what is going on.

The release was really weird. You couldn't pre-order any digital versions and it unlocked very late. It wasn't available on the psn store until the day of release. The way that release was handled was freaking disaster. I'm sure this game could've done waaaay better than that with decent marketing. God damn it Sega. You make a good game and you decide to fuck up it's release. Then it's gonna sell like shit and you'll be validated in giving low budget to your Sonic games. Sonic could do way more than this. It pisses me off.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That explains why it's so hard to find full online matches for TSR.

RIP. Still pretty amazed that they managed to fuck up the sequel to Transformed.
I did my part and purchased the Switch version this pas saturday!

Sure it's going to be counted towards June's Canadian NPD but still!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Can you really say you didn't expect MK11 coming on so strong? It's been four years and their marketing to the masses (not weird twitter and loot box stuff) is extraordinarily amazing. That launch trailer is the best fighting game trailer of all time. It's also one of the most well made fighting games ever. Its online is superb. Even though I get bodied every game.

I'm surprised about days gone tbh. I can't wait to try it in 2 years when it's $10 or under. Almost there with Persona 5.

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone passing Sekiro LTD is another serious indication that Bend's game should be far far above 2 million worldwide.

In pretty much any market Days Gone has been way stronger than Sekiro, and the latter sold 2 million copies in less than 10 days.

Even better, Days Gone should be quite strong in June too with the Days of Play promotion.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... Looks like MK11 on Switch did terrible...
Days Gone isn't even #1 on PS4 yet still takes #2 overall. Bend and Sony must be pretty happy with it.

XB1 hardware did terrible, PS4 shows it would need a price cut to get back to form.

Edit: Ouch Sekiro... Dropped like a lead balloon.
Days Gone already passed it on yearly on just 1 platform.